As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MOBA DOBA] League of Legends, the Name Game {Tourney Spreadsheet in OP}

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've only played a few practise games of TT before it was officially released to matchmaking, but I kind of hated it. I don't know why, it just didn't mesh with my play-style at ALL.

Should I give it another try? (And maybe try a champion other than Singed? :/)

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm starting to get the hang of Udyr, which is nice because he's a pretty cool hero. Tried jungling for the first time seeing how my previous attempts at laning had failed miserably and managed a very decent 8/2/4.

edit: I also found myself disliking TT.

reVerse on
  • Options
    DkarrdeDkarrde Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Udyr's not nearly as good a jungler as he used to be. He still can (and probably should) do it, but even Fiddles jungles better than him.

On the other hand, Udyr eats Fiddles for breakfast at higher levels, so.

Dkarrde on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, it felt super slow and not optimal in the beginning as I had to blue pill back quite a lot, but thanks to it we had two solo lanes, I was getting a nice amount of money (unlike when laning because melee characters are super easy to harass so I usually end up just sitting in the back) and the monster buffs really helped with the ganking.

reVerse on
  • Options
    Mobile-DMobile-D Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Alright, I have a conundrum. I recently saved up a bit over 3200 in points, I want to grab a tank champion to round out my lineup, but I'm a bit torn between Mordekaiser and Gragas. Mord is obviously more popular, but I hear Gragas can do fantastic things with a tank build.

Also I guess Morde is more likely to be nerfed?

Help me choose!

Mobile-D on
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Get Singed. :D

Speaking of, I should probably credit Falstaff - I've switched to his item build lately and have been tearing shit up even more than I was with my old setup. (The main difference being that I was one of those who went for two Rods. As he says, games tend not to last long enough for it to make up the difference.)

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Mobile everyone plays Mord but only cool people play Fat Gragas

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Played a few rounds of TT.

Notes:

Mordekaiser is insane. Ganking is so easy in this map, he's gauranteed with his ult to turn a 3v3 into a 4v2 and instant tower push. Him + any high damage/stun combo is very hard to overcome.

Shen is an excellent choice. It mitigates a lot of potential mistakes. And of course he's a great tank.

Ryze is Ryze. Minus anyone even trying to get Banshee's veil on the other team. AKA guaranteed kill in any fight.

We did AP Sion + Udyr + Ryze and it was pretty strong even though we made some mistakes. They never even seriously threatened a tower.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Played a few rounds of TT.

Notes:

Mordekaiser is insane. Ganking is so easy in this map, he's gauranteed with his ult to turn a 3v3 into a 4v2 and instant tower push. Him + any high damage/stun combo is very hard to overcome.

Shen is an excellent choice. It mitigates a lot of potential mistakes. And of course he's a great tank.

Ryze is Ryze. Minus anyone even trying to get Banshee's veil on the other team. AKA guaranteed kill in any fight.

We did AP Sion + Udyr + Ryze and it was pretty strong even though we made some mistakes. They never even seriously threatened a tower.

Yeah, I learned a few things from those games and have been doing much better.

TT is really fucking fun.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Fucking most annoying thing ever: Shaco getting Shen's ult on him and then deceiving through a wall at the last moment to help a person being ganked. Two people dropping in to help someone running away is so much fucking worse than one.

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    ChubblyChubbly Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Played a few games of TT and it is brutal. Some thoughts:

This map is incredibly unforgiving in top Elo. Two mistakes and the game is over. Games typically last 10 mins and it is all about jungle control. Someone on your team must always have smite (or smite like ability). Wards. WARDS. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRDS.

Tanks rock the socks, especially Singed and Mord. Don't go your normal build with DPS champs or you will be fucked. Farming BF sword is out of the question.

Just to respond to some here about heroes: Teemo is bad because he is too squishy and he offers nothing except a blind which can be replaced by someone getting exhaust. These games move fast and thinking you can lay mushrooms all over the place is just not going to happen. Also too item dependent. Same with Pirate. Same with a lot of heroes really. If you play SR and think to yourself "I'm doing bum damage now but wait till I've farmed up!" then the hero is fail in TT. Taric is amazing in TT, his ult wins everything.

Chubbly on
  • Options
    IgelIgel Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    What's a good build on Shen anyway? I bought him but haven't played him yet as I have no clue how to build him.

Igel on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    holy

fuck

Crest of Flowing Water: 45% movement speed for like 2 minutes

Ghost: 40% movement speed for 15 seconds

Sion: Chases the entire team across the fucking map and kills all three of them as I stun each

fuck I love sion

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Shen needs to be nerfed for this map.

Also his fucking taunt interrupts Nunu's ult.

Every one of Shen's abilities is basically OP on this map hlauglahglahglaga.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Igel wrote: »
    What's a good build on Shen anyway? I bought him but haven't played him yet as I have no clue how to build him.

If on TT:
    Ruby Crystal or Doran's Shiled + HP Pot to start (whatever you feel comfortable with)

Aegis of the Legion

some boots

win

If on SR:
    Ruby Crystal
    Boots 1
    Ruby Crystal -> Aegis
    Upgrade boots (Ninja Tabi or Merc Treads)
    Leviathan
    Warmog

win

Shamus on
  • Options
    DrijenDrijen Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Shen needs to be nerfed for this map.

Also his fucking taunt interrupts Nunu's ult.

Every one of Shen's abilities is basically OP on this map hlauglahglahglaga.

I'm reading all these words but all I'm seeing is 'get Shen' in big letters. I really like Mundo for this map as well; hitting 6 is basically you telling the other team not to bother anymore since it feels like armor/hp/regen is more cost effective than damage items.

Drijen on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    This is a very helpful image for TT I saw on the LoL forums.
    qZuHp.jpg

Shamus on
  • Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    11/0/1 with Nidalee my first game in TT. Hah?

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    yeah HP definitely seems like the business on TT. Every single 4 bar champ I see as AP Sion in level 1 teamfights I stun and my team rapes. Earlier we killed 2 people before minions spawned because I stunned one, we killed him, then I ghosted for the people running away and stunned another, we killed that one.

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Sion, Mundo and Shen are all A-list characters for TT.

I have been playing Taric and he definitely has his place, but he can't go toe to toe against a Sion past about 14.

Nunu has potential to be a dominating character on the map since he's harder to focus in time to stop his ult, but with the prevalence of Shen, his taunt interrupts his ult.. so... yeah

One character I haven't seen in TT is Ashe and I suspect her ult is as annoying as ever with the smaller map... easier aim. Although she is gank food to the extreme.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    both Ezreal's and Ashe's ults are pretty awesome from what I've seen. for some reason we expected our friend who plays Ezreal to not do so hot on TT, but he has owned pretty hard.

did pretty well doing a premade earlier of sion-mord-ashe. you would think ashe would carry, but mord ended up carrying, 11-0, 18 stacks of leviathan, unkillable

pretty awesome

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    pugging this map is impossible.

everyone is trying to figure out how to lane, but really, you don't lane in this map. You jungle and defend. And you rush to support whoever got caught.

All the pugs I did tonight were won or lost based on trying to lane. Once people figure out that you just can't push past mid alone, ever, then things will get more competitive overall.

I'm thinking that healing characters are going to be much more of an asset in TT than in the 5 man map. In 5 man it meant nothing since there was so much burst, but as Taric, I've saved a few lives even with his mediocre heal.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    IgelIgel Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Shamus wrote: »

If on TT:
    Ruby Crystal or Doran's Shiled + HP Pot to start (whatever you feel comfortable with)

Aegis of the Legion

some boots

win

If on SR:
    Ruby Crystal
    Boots 1
    Ruby Crystal -> Aegis
    Leviathan
    Warmog

win

Thank you, this was quite helpful and led to a win. Gracias.

Igel on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Oh boy, mundo v sion go! (I'm gonna eat it so hard)

Drijen on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Mundo wins that one 6+ methinks.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Umm, we actually got it early. Sion refused to take his stun until lvl7 by which time I had killed him a bunch already. That was weird, ending the game as we speak.

Drijen on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    whaaaaat. man. that sion is awful. I mean, I understand taking shield, but on TT you can really make an argument for taking stun over shield at level 1 and then doing shield up to 5.

It really seems like TT is all about disables and speed.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Shamus wrote: »

If on TT:

Aegis of the Legion

some boots

win

If on SR:
    Ruby Crystal
    Boots 1
    Ruby Crystal -> Aegis
    Leviathan
    Warmog

win

Thank you, this was quite helpful and led to a win. Gracias.

Also, I see Phage -> Frozen Mallet often. While nice, I rather build him with a Ryali's Scepter. Turning Vorpal Blade into a slow on a very fast cooldown? Yes please.

Atma's Impaler seems like it would mesh well with his passive. I haven't gotten to the point of being able to build it. Games are usually over for me once I hit Warmog's.

Shamus on
  • Options
    MouschiMouschi Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    TT is *worse* than SR. One moron in SR is a hindrance. One moron in TT makes it completely impossible to win.

Mouschi on
    1848717-1.png
    Gamertag: Cunning Hekate // League of Legends: FeroxPA
  • Options
    Banana-ManBanana-Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So with Sion you typically want to take the Stun first? I've been taking Enrage for farming/huge god damned hits, but the Stun has utility I guess?

Banana-Man on
    :shock:
  • Options
    CutfangCutfang Dancing Bagel WalessssssssRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm having trouble winning TT with Shen. Singed on the other hand just destroys people.

Cutfang on
    Dancing Bagel
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    In an awesome turn of events my friend plays a solid Heimer and its really not a terrible champ for TT. We just had a 14 minute win that owed a whole lot to really good turret placement and some clutch grenades. I'm a mite bit surprised but I like it lots.

Drijen on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Banana-Man wrote: »
    So with Sion you typically want to take the Stun first? I've been taking Enrage for farming/huge god damned hits, but the Stun has utility I guess?

On Twisted Treeline, which is mostly all the thread has been talking about, having stuns and disables is super important early on and can buy early kills which quickly turn the game AND mean loads more gold than farming early on. Anything that stuns, snares, slows, or what have you should be a priority.

Drijen on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Banana-Man wrote: »

The general consensus seems to be that if you don't get kills fast and early, then it adds a lot more variables into the equation. The fact that lane pushing is very risky and the jungle space is so small means that whoever can win those impromptu battles is going to come out on top. Hence the disables. Also hence Shen who basically breaks the entire map with that fucking ult of his.

3-4 quick kills in the first 5-7 minutes can put the game on ice.

Disables make it much harder for the gankees team to come to his aid. A chain disable kill followed by a turret retreat is the optimal way of doing things.

Another favorite is the all 3 go into the mid grass on bottom and just destroy the first thing that approaches.

Sivir/Mundo/Singed can rape doing that. Sivir boomerang, singed back toss, mundo axe. GG

Jasconius on
  • Options
    CutfangCutfang Dancing Bagel WalessssssssRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Holy crap, Heimer can heal his teams turrets?! Its his aura..

Cutfang on
    Dancing Bagel
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Here's a fucked up team for TT: Teemo, Nidalee and Shaco.

Peas on
  • Options
    FalstaffFalstaff Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Christ, tanking in TT is tense for the first ten minutes. And then you're God.

Falstaff on
    Still verbing the adjective noun.
  • Options
    cwapfobrainscwapfobrains Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    All you guys talking about Mundo got me to try him. 2 games of Twisted Treeline I was thinking I was done. I mean I did decent (7/9/8 and 2/4/6) but combination of poor teammate and poor matchups left me feeling defeated. Played one last game with a buddy and a random, and completely destroyed, went 7/1/5 and won the game in 20 minutes. I bought him immediately after.

Not sure there has been anything as satisfying in this game as watching Kat trying to run home only to get a cleaver in the back and fall dead.

cwapfobrains on
    camo_sig.png
    LoL Summoner: infobrains | XBL: cwap4brains | PSN: infobrains
  • Options
    ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've really been sucking on Summoner's Rift lately and I don't know why.

I think all the teleports are beginning to break the map for me. With TF and Shen and Pantheon SR is really becoming about who can backdoor the best, and I tend to be the only one on my team with enough map awareness to see it coming. So I'm always the one who ends up cleaning up the massive creep waves that are wrecking our tower. The TF, meanwhile, laughs and teleports across the map to turn a 4v4 into 5v4, while my slowpoke ass is left in the dust. Then I get accused of farming while everyone else was dying in a teamfight.

Maybe I should just go ahead and let them backdoor. We'll still lose, but at least I'll have a respectable kill count and people won't accuse me of spending all my time "farming."

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Whoever said Morde was a beast on TT was right. Just went up against him in a game and he never ever died! He had a crappy jax and teemo on his team, but was single handedly able to cock-block any of our attempts to push after we'd killed the other two. It was just insane.

Arrath on