As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat] with the Devil

• Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Wait whos Matts problem

Well, we have one forumer named "Matt has a problem"... figure the rest out.

Hi Kakos! Fuck you, Mr. Snarky!

Zen Vulgarity on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    japan wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Is this the origin of all those people in the cooking thread suggesting recipes that use cans of soup as a basic ingredient?

I guess. I will admit that I use pre-made stocks pretty much whenever I'm cooking. I just don't use enough of it to justify actually making up batches of stock.

I don't mean stock, I mean literally cans of soup. Like, a pasta bake will use a can of Campbells cream of mushroom as the sauce. Pre made stock I can understand.

things you don't miss after moving out- campbell's mushroom soup casserole

Arch on
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    But cute greek girl has super hot greek sister.

Okay, so that's decided then. You're going. Next question you need [chat] to decide?

Awesome, well done. I know I have like zero chance with hot sister but goddamn if I don't try. Also it's a swank bar so I'll get to dress up!

I shall consider my next query for the Oracle of Chat.

Greek girls are pretty hairy

i am just sayin

I knew a Lesbian that was pretty hot. I should have asked her out.

Hmm.

A proper Lesbian, not a lesbian.

Premier kakos on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Japan are you ragging on cream of mushroom soup?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    I can't believe she actually registered as Mattsproblem.

it was a really, really good idea that was suggested to her

I agree. Many thanks.

Do you want me to send you my friend's contact info so you can atleast set her up with an interview or something?

I don't really have any power over setting up interviews since it would be in a different office, but all our open IT positions are on our website and I can put in a good word for her with Recruiting.

Hmm.

I'll add you as my facebook friend when I get home and pass you to her profile so you can send her a message with the details of how can she apply and all that shit.

JustinSane07 on
    edited March 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    oh damnit

guys remember the whole atheist symbol discussion from yesterday?

turns out a few people i know on facebook have it as their profile picture and I just now noticed

Wait, which one? The brights thing or the red A?

red A

Arch on
    edited March 2010

Okay, so that's decided then. You're going. Next question you need [chat] to decide?

Awesome, well done. I know I have like zero chance with hot sister but goddamn if I don't try. Also it's a swank bar so I'll get to dress up!

i am just sayin

Hmm.

I don't know what a proper Lesbian is as opposed to a lesbian.

JustinSane07 on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Is this the origin of all those people in the cooking thread suggesting recipes that use cans of soup as a basic ingredient?

I guess. I will admit that I use pre-made stocks pretty much whenever I'm cooking. I just don't use enough of it to justify actually making up batches of stock.

I don't mean stock, I mean literally cans of soup. Like, a pasta bake will use a can of Campbells cream of mushroom as the sauce. Pre made stock I can understand.

Yeah, but cream of mushroom seems to be the odd one for that. Most of the recipes I see that used in though tend to be more of the "I've got 10 minutes to feed 5 kids" kind.

Thomamelas on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

Not on cream of mushroom soup per se, though canned soup tends to be really salty and not very pleasant. The use of cans of soup as a cookery ingredient.

japan on
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

someone from Lesbos?

BobCesca on
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    oh damnit

turns out a few people i know on facebook have it as their profile picture and I just now noticed

red A

The red A isn't that bad. There are worse things to blatantly self-identify as.

Actually I have a keychain charm with an A on it (for my first name) and I thought I'd paint it red as a joke.

Sarksus on
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Holy shit I just logged into Steam for the first time in a while to find out that Dr. Breen died :(

Nocturne on
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

i am just sayin

Hmm.

Probably from Lesbos or something like that.

LaOs on
    edited March 2010

Yeah, but cream of mushroom seems to be the odd one for that. Most of the recipes I see that used in though tend to be more of the "I've got 10 minutes to feed 5 kids" kind.

my mother also made a tomato and pepper gravy based on campbells tomato soup

there were a few others; one involved chicken noodle soup...casserole?

Arch on
    edited March 2010

i am just sayin

Hmm.

Ugh. You're knowledge of things Greek is atrocious. She was born in Mytilene on the island of Lesbos.

Premier kakos on
    edited March 2010
    oh damnit

red A

its not that they are all IMMA ATHEIST LOLS

its that the red A is a STUPID symbol for that

Arch on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    The good thing about Betty Crocker is that the recipes are easy, cheap, and quick

The problem with Betty Crocker is that it is bland, not especially good, and relies far too much on pre-made ingredients. It often comes down to mixing a packet of this powder with a cup of that powder and the contents of these two cans.

It doesn't really end up teaching good cooking skills or habits I don't think.

I have an Alton Brown cookbook that I think is a pretty great primer and teaches some great basic skills and their rationale.

Probably in part. If you look at, like, ladies home journal or those mom-based magazines and that kind of stuff, the point of cooking is to get hot food on the table for an undiscerning family cheaply enough to keep a family budget and quickly enough that you didn't have to miss your stories to make dinner.

Now, there certainly is a rationale for this kind of food preparation. But arguably, it's not really "cooking" - or at least it's not proper cooking. There's basically nowhere to go from this kind of food preparation except finding new recipes.

That said, cajun cooking, which is delicious, was originally heavily reliant upon canned goods like cream of mushroom soup or ro-tel tomatoes. Better chefs have been kind of reverse-engineering the cuisine in order to make a more respectable set of basic ingredients and techniques, since the original recipes read basically like spicy Betty Crocker recipes. This is probably also true of other kinds of american cuisine.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    oh damnit

red A

Wait, like for adultery for 17th century puritans? That atheism now? Huh?

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    Podly wrote: »
    Podly wrote: »
    hey pods, i'm trying to get the details for the people who want to hang in NYC but won't be in jersey friday night

where are we meeting? preferred restaurant or what?

well I was going to take you to this thai place I took nexus a few years ago, but I can meet you at the path if that's easier for you.

your call. if PATH is out of the way from the restaurant then don't bother, i can usher everyone to where we need to be

i went to school in queens so i know my way around the city a bit, i just want to be able to give people something a little firmer than "we're eating with pods at 1 in manhattan"

what say you?

where is the place?

Well the place is on St. Mark's (east 8th) in east village, off of lafayette/broadway and astor square.

oh that's easy

we can just get on the PATH headed to 33rd via hoboken, getting on at grove street

get off at the 9th street stop and just walk past the park/NYU

right?

Organichu on
  • mattsproblemmattsproblem Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Wait whos Matts problem

Hey now. Be nice. If you're mean he might molest my husband again.

mattsproblem on
    DtfqR.jpg
    edited March 2010
    oh damnit

red A

I always thought the red A was adultery.

Premier kakos on
    edited March 2010
    oh damnit

red A

Wait, like for adultery for 17th century puritans? That atheism now? Huh?

that is my point

Arch on
    edited March 2010

Not on cream of mushroom soup per se, though canned soup tends to be really salty and not very pleasant. The use of cans of soup as a cookery ingredient.

Its an easy to use ingrediant though. I mean if you want some extra mushroom flavor quick and easy bam there it is. Not everything has to be the grandest meal.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

my mother also made a tomato and pepper gravy based on campbells tomato soup

there were a few others; one involved chicken noodle soup...casserole?

I keep some cans of tomato soup around but I use it as soup. If I'm not feeling well or lazy it's a quick hot meal. So it also ends up in my hurricane prep kit. Goes well with sandwiches.

Thomamelas on
    edited March 2010
    oh damnit

red A

Should it be something like a winged lion devouring Christians in the Colosseum or something.

Actually I would prefer for there not to be a symbol since atheism isn't really a thing. I associate it very strongly with a lack of a thing.

Sarksus on
  • Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I made a dish that is basically chicken and various vegetables stir-fried and then combined with Campbell's mushroom soup over pasta or rice.

I mean, it's fairly tasty, but I don't pretend it's healthy.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

Its an easy to use ingrediant though. I mean if you want some extra mushroom flavor quick and easy bam there it is. Not everything has to be the grandest meal.

But it tastes rank.

And it's really not that much more difficult to make a white sauce and cook some mushrooms.

BobCesca on
    edited March 2010

Hmm.

Ugh. You're knowledge of things Greek is atrocious. She was born in Mytilene on the island of Lesbos.

You greet people by humping them and tearing up their genorosity. YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO JUDGE ANYONE!

JustinSane07 on
  • thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Wait whos Matts problem

Hey now. Be nice. If you're mean he might molest my husband again.

first!

edit: hrmmm. maybe not.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
    edited March 2010
    Oh, the red A means adultery? That's hilarious.

Sarksus on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

i am just sayin

Hmm.

You greet people by humping them and tearing up their genorosity. YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO JUDGE ANYONE!

This is all part of Kakos's Greek knowledge.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2010

I made a large quantity of concentrated turkey stock from the carcass last thanksgiving, but it went rancid in the freezer. it was disgusting.

i haven't had good luck with trying to freeze stock. it just doesn't last that long.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited March 2010

Haven't you ever read The Scarlet Letter?

JustinSane07 on
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    OK well I'm going to re-purpose the symbol of the Trucker Mudflap girl as a way to identify myself as "Not Really Giving Too Much of a Damn About Religion but Interested in Talking About it Every Once in Awhile".

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I don't know, white sauce is pretty quick, and it's not like softening some onions, mushrooms, and garlic down takes long. I understand why people do it, I just wondered how it became an apparently widespread practice in the US.

japan on
    edited March 2010

Haven't you ever read The Scarlet Letter?

I watched the Wishbone episode when I was a kid.

Sarksus on
    edited March 2010
    BobCesca wrote: »

But it tastes rank.

And it's really not that much more difficult to make a white sauce and cook some mushrooms.

Cost, time, and dishes though. I mean when you worked 8 hours and just want to eat something, you cut some corners.

Tastes fine to me, hell I'll sometimes eat it by itself with crackers.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited March 2010

have you never read hawthorne?

Arch on
  • thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    i think matt's problem is going to be a problem.

i definitely go by names, not avatars. and i can't tell the difference without great attention to detail.

which is not my forte.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
    edited March 2010

have you never read hawthorne?

I watched the Wishbone episode when I was a kid.

Sarksus on
This discussion has been closed.