As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fitty-Two, Mo'fuggas!

• Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Here's what I don't get about Week 50/WWIII:
    I thought Black Adam in his powered form was still around post-52, just not in charge of Kandaq. Am I mistaken?

mattharvest on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    pretty sure, yeah

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I guess he finds his happy thoughts...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited April 2007
    I think I liked the WWIII issues better than the actual issue of 52.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2007
    That was quite the explanation of Jason Todd masquerading as Nightwing

"And, for his own reasons, Jason Todd took on the costume of Nightwing"

Shit, now that Bruce Jones arc makes sense!

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2007
    but man the titans are awesome

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Here's what I don't get about Week 50/WWIII:
    I thought Black Adam in his powered form was still around post-52, just not in charge of Kandaq. Am I mistaken?

I don't recall Black Adam appearing or even being mentioned post-52

Lux on
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    but man the titans are awesome

Yeah, the Titans were my favorite in WWIII as well.
    "Beast Boy leads a group of children against a god. With no plan of attack, they try to match Black Adam's brutality with their numbers. This will not end well."

Oooooo.

Ooooooooo. The chills.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    First impression after reading Week 50, and WWIII 1-4 last night: World War III is a confusing mess. Why Pisa? Why Sydney? Why New York?

Did he just fly around the world getting into fights? Or did he have specific objectives in each of those areas that the comics just failed to mention?

On the other hand, the Martian Manhunter stuff is awesome.

I'm also very disappointed over how easily Cassandra fell under Death Stroke's influence.

There was some great art and a few great great splash pages, but overall, it was too muddled.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Geebs wrote: »
    I think I liked the WWIII issues better than the actual issue of 52.

I did aswell

Mostly due to Martian Manhunter being the main charecter.

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I also kind of felt Terra came out of nowhere... I didn't recall seeing her in any of the other Teen Titans appearances during 52.

But man, my MM love shot up a bit during this series.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It really sets up MM OYL very nicely.

Shame it didn't achieve the same effect with all the other "zomg, let's explain the OLY books" bits.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Sentry wrote: »
    I also kind of felt Terra came out of nowhere... I didn't recall seeing her in any of the other Teen Titans appearances during 52.

She's been in and out with the Titans for a while. She was probably a reserve member

Plus, they needed to kill her so they can bring that new Terra

and give Geo-Force her powers

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    bobgorila wrote: »

Shame it didn't achieve the same effect with all the other "zomg, let's explain the OLY books" bits.

The only other one it really answered was Aquaman

Everything else was just little stuff that was either already explained (Batgirl) or not even big enough to care about (Firestorm/Cyborg, Supergirl in the future)

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007

As long as you consider any scenes with him happening a few months earlier, considering he was already going all squiddy when Ralph and "Fate" dropped by to say "hi" to him.

Squashua on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    It happens.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Squashua wrote: »

As long as you consider any scenes with him happening a few months earlier, considering he was already going all squiddy when Ralph and "Fate" dropped by to say "hi" to him.

Or Faust can time travel

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I care about Supergirl, dammit, I care!

Also, anybody else catch Sandy telling Geo-Force he was on a level of power similar to Alec Holland? Is that significant at all?

Speaking of which, where is Swampy these days? I don't recall him even appearing in the IC.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I care about Supergirl, dammit, I care!

Also, anybody else catch Sandy telling Geo-Force he was on a level of power similar to Alec Holland? Is that significant at all?

Speaking of which, where is Swampy these days? I don't recall him even appearing in the IC.

He was seen in that Magic Circle thing near the end of Infinite Crisis

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Sentry wrote: »

She's been in and out with the Titans for a while. She was probably a reserve member

Plus, they needed to kill her so they can bring that new Terra

and give Geo-Force her powers

I guess since the last time I saw her was when the Titans went into the future (in which she was still alive), it was kind of jarring.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Have they relased a full blown picture of the Week 51 cover? That pic looks like Red Tornado with all the gears in his painted to be different Earths. looks awesome

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    yeah, the "52" are definitely just 52 different earths

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited April 2007
    The one thing I didn't really like about this was how long it took Black Adam to get to China. It's like they came up with the name first, and then tried to fit the story onto it.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I rationalize it in the sense that a full out battle between a crazed Black Adam and other heroes would change locales with great frequency, i.e. people getting punched across countries and shit.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

But what does that have to do with the 52 missing seconds? Do we even know what those missing seconds were yet?

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007

But what does that have to do with the 52 missing seconds? Do we even know what those missing seconds were yet?

By the looks of next weeks cover, we may find out exactly what it means.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    übergeek wrote: »

Booster and Rip farkin' with the timeline

Algertman on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Was it me, or was it bad art, or does Booster's uniform look ripped in that last panel and under the uniform is circuitry and shit that makes him look like a robot?

Or maybe it's just what the inner layer of his suit looks like.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Was it me, or was it bad art, or does Booster's uniform look ripped in that last panel and under the uniform is circuitry and shit that makes him look like a robot?

Or maybe it's just what the inner layer of his suit looks like.

All of his powers are from his suit, which was built by Ted Kord (designed after technology Booster stole from the 25th century)

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Actually, Ted only designed his bulky suit that always broke down at inopportune times, and his robotic arm/life support. He could manage repairs on the 31st century tech, but not build it from scratch. Booster got his robotic arm replaced with a flesh one after brokering a deal with Neron, and proceeded to wear a better version of the bulky one up until an issue of Superman where he mysteriously had his old one back with no explanation.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    oh

i thought he originally had the bulky one

whoops

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    übergeek wrote: »

Wasn't that when
    Skeets froze time to kill Waverider? People might not know exactly what happened (other than Rip and Booster), but I don't know that it's a huge mystery that concerns a lot of people.

I think the real secret of 52 is what's tucked inside Red Tornado's head. I just hope they decide to reveal it during this series.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Briareos wrote: »
    First impression after reading Week 50, and WWIII 1-4 last night: World War III is a confusing mess. Why Pisa? Why Sydney? Why New York?

Just because they've got recognizable landmarks to indicate where they are. Apparently Black Adam only wants to destroy well known tourist attractions.

I liked the issue, but man, the DC Universe is a really dangerous place. The pyramids, the leaning tower of Pisa and the Sydney Opera House were all destroyed. San Diego, for a time, fell into the ocean. The city of Bludhaven blew up, the country of Bialya was murdered and it looks like the Statue of Liberty is going to be coming down in the old Countdown teaser image.

Just for the record, I enjoyed the issues.

Lux on
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Lux wrote: »

Just because they've got recognizable landmarks to indicate where they are. Apparently Black Adam only wants to destroy well known tourist attractions.

I liked the issue, but man, the DC Universe is a really dangerous place. The pyramids, the leaning tower of Pisa and the Sydney Opera House were all destroyed. San Diego, for a time, fell into the ocean. The city of Bludhaven blew up, the country of Bialya was murdered and it looks like the Statue of Liberty is going to be coming down in the old Countdown teaser image.

I think when you live in a world where one man, who happens to run a country, is physically capable of personally annihilating an entire nearby nation, the world is already a really dangerous place.

Don't forget a year or two ago (in their time) when aliens bombed the hell out of everything.

I mean, come on, people in Metropolis periodically are startled by the sonic booms Superman must make catching Lois Lane or whatever...

mattharvest on
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    isn't there a comic called like, astro city or something, about a normal person in a city full of superpeople?

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    It's shown from different perspectives

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

I think when you live in a world where one man, who happens to run a country, is physically capable of personally annihilating an entire nearby nation, the world is already a really dangerous place.

Don't forget a year or two ago (in their time) when aliens bombed the hell out of everything.

I mean, come on, people in Metropolis periodically are startled by the sonic booms Superman must make catching Lois Lane or whatever...

I understand how it can be a dangerous place to live, it's just these plot devices lose power after some time. If they blew up the eiffel tower in a superhero fight, it would only get a yawn at this point.

Lux on
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Munch wrote: »
    Actually, Ted only designed his bulky suit that always broke down at inopportune times, and his robotic arm/life support. He could manage repairs on the 31st century tech, but not build it from scratch. Booster got his robotic arm replaced with a flesh one after brokering a deal with Neron, and proceeded to wear a better version of the bulky one up until an issue of Superman where he mysteriously had his old one back with no explanation.

Later on, during EXTREME Justice, Monarch gave Booster Gold a new/repaired body and IIRC, he didn't need the armor anymore. Probably not canon.

Squashua on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Extreme Justice is actually still canon; though terrible. The book actually made it so that Nathaniel Adam was really Monarch, and Captain Atom was just living metal imbued with Adam's personality or conciousness or something. I think. God, I tried so hard to block that series out.

Munch on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

I understand how it can be a dangerous place to live, it's just these plot devices lose power after some time. If they blew up the eiffel tower in a superhero fight, it would only get a yawn at this point.

What happens if a structure like the Eiffel Tower is completely destroyed. Do they just build a new one?

And does it retain its draw, despite being a completely new structure.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
This discussion has been closed.