As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Phalla] Persona: Hall α - Finale: A New Revolution

1160161162163164166»

• Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    the main question is if the village couldve done anything different in order to win... and the obvious answer is yes

Although i admit I think the two factions of dudes who had to wipe out 4 players in 120 had it really hard

What is the more elaborated answer to that question, if I might ask? While there are plenty of 'oops, that was a bad idea' bits regarding what the village shouldn't have done, I'm not sure what the 'correct' course of action would have been. There's talk regarding the risks of anonymous versus non anonymous attacks, and stuff about the village needing to gather more information, but I'm still pretty clueless on how the village was supposed to piece things together.

Dizzen on
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I heard somebody talking about killing Spartans and I came as fast as I could!

what did I miss?

Daypigeon on
  • Options
    Garret DoriganGarret Dorigan "Why can't I be DLC for UMvC3?"Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dizzen wrote: »
    the main question is if the village couldve done anything different in order to win... and the obvious answer is yes

Although i admit I think the two factions of dudes who had to wipe out 4 players in 120 had it really hard

What is the more elaborated answer to that question, if I might ask? While there are plenty of 'oops, that was a bad idea' bits regarding what the village shouldn't have done, I'm not sure what the 'correct' course of action would have been. There's talk regarding the risks of anonymous versus non anonymous attacks, and stuff about the village needing to gather more information, but I'm still pretty clueless on how the village was supposed to piece things together.

The most obvious, from what I read, thing the village could have done was just gang together for attacks. The copius amount of blind shooting is what did you guys in. More safe to just get a list of 3 suspects, and dogpile them. Keeps the amount of friendly fire down, and if you pump a crapton of damage and they don't go down, probably mafia.

There was no mass cohesiveness.

Garret Dorigan on
    "Never Hit"
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Again, making people take risks to come out ahead was intentional.

The best way to find the rivals was to band with someone outside your group to improve your odds. This was attempted many times, but no one risked it. And so they lost. They also weren't making optimal decisions much of the time, and I think it was the messians didn't even discuss the last two days. (No proboards thread period, if they took it to PM I'm not aware of it and really wonder why at that point.)

Waiting for a win will not likely turn out well for you if it's a game I'm part of, for that I will not be apologizing. :)

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Infidel wrote: »

The best way to find the rivals was to band with someone outside your group to improve your odds. This was attempted many times, but no one risked it. And so they lost. They also weren't making optimal decisions much of the time, and I think it was the messians didn't even discuss the last two days. (No proboards thread period, if they took it to PM I'm not aware of it and really wonder why at that point.)

Waiting for a win will not likely turn out well for you if it's a game I'm part of, for that I will not be apologizing. :)

I'm sorry, I guess I'm a bit dull on the matter, so this is still too vague for me to really make anything of it. To be a bit more specific, "How were students/messians/gaians supposed to spot their enemies?"

The messians/gaians could try to contact someone, but the average villager/network didn't have much to offer them, did they? The village could try to collect attacker info, but what could they do with incomplete and possibly (probably?) inaccurate lists of who attacked who? I'm still relatively new to phalla (I think this was my fourth), so I'm just trying to get a sense of what we should have been looking for, is all.

Dizzen on
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Infidel and MrB, thanks for running this game. It was definitely an experience!

Rather than continuing to clutter up CF, I suggest that anyone who wants to continue discussing the game balance come on down to the PhalLounge, where I've created a thread for this purpose.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

I'm sorry, I guess I'm a bit dull on the matter, so this is still too vague for me to really make anything of it. To be a bit more specific, "How were students/messians/gaians supposed to spot their enemies?"

The messians/gaians could try to contact someone, but the average villager/network didn't have much to offer them, did they? The village could try to collect attacker info, but what could they do with incomplete and possibly (probably?) inaccurate lists of who attacked who? I'm still relatively new to phalla (I think this was my fourth), so I'm just trying to get a sense of what we should have been looking for, is all.

A duck did his homework and had the names of all four persona he was hunting. There were persona seers in the village. The mafia also were perfectly capable of making an alliance with one side, which would speed up the elimination of players where the other rivals may be.

Plus many other shenanigans, like CJ offering to be a mediator. People tried to this but, but didn't go for it in the end because of the risk.

No risk taken, no victory attained, fine by me.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh, while we're on the topic of the Gaians and Messians, cj was entirely correct in saying that the Gaians and Messians had no place in a Persona game, and indeed that was the case. If either of them had satisfied their win conditions, it would have been revealed that their involvement in the game scenario was a result of a dimensional anomaly/crossover caused by the Mayan cult's ceremony. Crossovers have appeared in different branches of the Shin Megami Tensei tree, and this was sort of a homage to that.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Lady Eri wrote: »
    Well I am not sure how standard villagers are suppose to figure out anything in these types of games anymore. There is so much shit that could be going down and so many twists that really anything can be happening, and thats why speculation runs so rampant now.

I think it is much more enjoyable and intriguing (at least for the average villager) to run a game where all the mechanics are out in the open. That gives them a chance to speculate on what each person is doing, and gives the average villager far more entertainment. As it stands right now, it seems every Phalla trys to outdo itself in making another layer of hidden secrecy in gameplay mechanics and abilties, with the result that more time is wasted trying to figure it out, and the village is pushed further to the margins in participation.

Not to say that work wasn't put into this game. It was very well constructed and very nicely organized. Thank you for hosting it.
    The mechanics are there to help the village. Once the village understands the mechanics, they can shake the trees and mafia will fall out.

By day 7 or so, the Messians and Gaians should have thought about what they were doing and what their counterparts had to be doing: that is LYING LOW. So they should have been shooting holes in inactives, not killing vocal villagers.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Plus many other shenanigans, like CJ offering to be a mediator. People tried to this but, but didn't go for it in the end because of the risk.

I found this hilarious.

CJ offered to mediate?...I thought....why would a villager do this? He must be a messian fishing for us. We slaughtered him.

sorry cj :(

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Spectrum wrote: »
    By day 7 or so, the Messians and Gaians should have thought about what they were doing and what their counterparts had to be doing: that is LYING LOW. So they should have been shooting holes in inactives, not killing vocal villagers.

We tried that for a bit mid game, but then went back to looking for people who betrayed knowledge of shadow hit. By night 9 or 10 it finally paid off and we then tryed to use voting patterns to identify any others.

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

A duck did his homework and had the names of all four persona he was hunting. There were persona seers in the village. The mafia also were perfectly capable of making an alliance with one side, which would speed up the elimination of players where the other rivals may be.

I think you're under the impression that I'm suggesting spotting enemies couldn't be done, or that I'm arguing stuff was too risky, or something like that. That was never my intent, and I'm sorry if I've given that impression.

I'm just wondering how we (as in, everyone but the mafia) were expected to go about things. What things should we have looked for, what the payoffs for various risks might have been, stuff like that. I'm sure it's really obvious stuff that I'm just overlooking, but stuff keeps going over my head, so I figured the best way to learn was to admit my ignorance and just ask.

For example, how does the village collecting attacker info make it risky for the mafia to use anonymous attacks? I was trying to collect that kind of information semi-covertly right after the first night, swapping data in PMs and making notes when I spotted relevant information revealed in the thread. But it didn't take me long to realize that I had no clue what to do with it, other than check for contradicting accounts (e.g. two people claiming to be attacked by the same person on the same night).

Also, if a faction had taken CJ up on his offer to be a mediator, how could that faction have benefited from it?

Dizzen on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

I think you're under the impression that I'm suggesting spotting enemies couldn't be done, or that I'm arguing stuff was too risky, or something like that. That was never my intent, and I'm sorry if I've given that impression.

I'm just wondering how we (as in, everyone but the mafia) were expected to go about things. What things should we have looked for, what the payoffs for various risks might have been, stuff like that. I'm sure it's really obvious stuff that I'm just overlooking, but stuff keeps going over my head, so I figured the best way to learn was to admit my ignorance and just ask.

For example, how does the village collecting attacker info make it risky for the mafia to use anonymous attacks? I was trying to collect that kind of information semi-covertly right after the first night, swapping data in PMs and making notes when I spotted relevant information revealed in the thread. But it didn't take me long to realize that I had no clue what to do with it, other than check for contradicting accounts (e.g. two people claiming to be attacked by the same person on the same night).

Also, if a faction had taken CJ up on his offer to be a mediator, how could that faction have benefited from it?

There's really a lot of ways and most of them were provided in thread or on proboards, during and postgame. They're mostly based around the same idea, catch someone lying (phalla!)

Setup a gank squad, except it's not a real gank squad and the target will survive and is working with you and you see who attacks them. You tie up resources that they'd rather not, they either let you control them and slow down the game for them or possibly get revealed.

You remember Demurist, right?

I can't really write a book on how to play phalla right now. Just be active. (hint: that does not mean posting in the thread for requirements) People cannot stay in the shadows if you're harassing them, as someone put it you shake the tree and hope mafia fall out.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Lady EriLady Eri Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well I am not sure how standard villagers are suppose to figure out anything in these types of games anymore. There is so much shit that could be going down and so many twists that really anything can be happening, and thats why speculation runs so rampant now.

I think it is much more enjoyable and intriguing (at least for the average villager) to run a game where all the mechanics are out in the open. That gives them a chance to speculate on what each person is doing, and gives the average villager far more entertainment. As it stands right now, it seems every Phalla trys to outdo itself in making another layer of hidden secrecy in gameplay mechanics and abilties, with the result that more time is wasted trying to figure it out, and the village is pushed further to the margins in participation.

Not to say that work wasn't put into this game. It was very well constructed and very nicely organized. Thank you for hosting it.
    The mechanics are there to help the village. Once the village understands the mechanics, they can shake the trees and mafia will fall out.

I am not disputing that, I guess I am not sure on how the village was suppose to figure out those mechanics.

Lady Eri on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

I am not disputing that, I guess I am not sure on how the village was suppose to figure out those mechanics.

What didn't they figure out?

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Lady EriLady Eri Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Well back to the original post, what was theory and what was actuality.

I had lots of people telling me there were numerous personas and you could acquire more, and you could switch them around, and if you were seered as one it may give you a bad reading, and that there was a seer who could only see personas and not actual allegiances, and who the specials are and what they might be capable of, and whether anonyminity in attacks were evenly spread among villagers or mafia, or a mafia skill in and of itself, whether someone is a village idiot, whether the source material provides for such a role. It seems there were a thousand things one could be speculating on, or choose to concentrate on, and for all we know it could be relevent or could have nothing to do with the Phalla, and for the average villager there is no way to really know that until the end. I am not trying to bash your phalla, just trying to point out a general issue in the way a lot of phallas are setup.

Lady Eri on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Well back to the original post, what was theory and what was actuality.

I had lots of people telling me there were numerous personas and you could acquire more, and you could switch them around, and if you were seered as one it may give you a bad reading, and that there was a seer who could only see personas and not actual allegiances, and who the specials are and what they might be capable of, and whether anonyminity in attacks were evenly spread among villagers or mafia, or a mafia skill in and of itself, whether someone is a village idiot, whether the source material provides for such a role. It seems there were a thousand things one could be speculating on, or choose to concentrate on, and for all we know it could be relevent or could have nothing to do with the Phalla, and for the average villager there is no way to really know that until the end. I am not trying to bash your phalla, just trying to point out a general issue in the way a lot of phallas are setup.

Oh, I thought you were saying that shit was hidden throughout when it wasn't yeah, it was mostly found out in the first few days.

What could have been is an issue in most phallas, namely any that don't go upfront and tell you that all mechanics are public.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, I thought that this game was really mild on the hidden information, which was for the most part the Shadow Hit ability of the special personas, and the presence of third-party groups/units (Gaians, Messians, Vengeful Spirit, and Persona Collector). Wild speculation can't really be controlled... even in a game where everything is out in the open, there will be people out there who will continue to be paranoid about all possibilities regardless of prior probability of occurring.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    People need to think about who the hosts were and what kind of abilities they would probably put in. It's up to vets who've experienced games to realize what passes the sniff test and what doesn't.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    That's really all you can do, yeah. I would argue that people didn't "read" Blarney and I very well this one, even though previous games they had no issue there really?

Cause it's always going to come down to knowing the host.

(Burnage Phalla, etc.)

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That's really all you can do, yeah. I would argue that people didn't "read" Blarney and I very well this one, even though previous games they had no issue there really?

Cause it's always going to come down to knowing the host.

(Burnage Phalla, etc.)

I think a number of people read you pretty clearly, but they were all on the winning side.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    Raneados wrote: »
    REG Rysk

you are grudged FOREEVVERRRRRRRRRR

YOU ARE GRUDGED FOREVER!
    Raneados wrote:
    I say hit Grath

he's been talking to me all game and is networked and has heals. I say that's enough to go on for maybe angelic

Grath on