As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How to Train Your Dragon.

• Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Melkster wrote: »
    There were so many idiot parents who brought toddlers to see it when we went. I guess they are of the mindset that it's automatically for super young children because it was animated. Needless to say, my wife and I were the only ones laughing through most of the movie because the kids just didn't get the jokes/references.

This is why I always see animated movies (and most movies generally) at the Alamo Drafthouse here in Austin. Animated movies after 6pm have a no-child-under-6 policy. It's fantastic.

The atmosphere at the Drafthouse is always so much better than the average random Regal or Cinemark.

We knew we should have waited until the 9:00 PM showing because that would have drastically cut down on the number of small children in attendance. However, we didn't and we dealt with the consequences of our decision.

I will say, though, that we thought it was even funnier that we were the only people in that showing who got the adult jokes/references. It was exactly like when we saw Kung Fu Panda; the opening scene that makes fun of all the old time Kung Fu movies is god damn hilarious but no one else got the joke.

You know what's interesting is that I didn't notice that many humorous adult references. Do you mean like pop culture references?

I thought the humor was something that everyone could get. The jokes in dialogue were more humorous banter - sort of like between Dory and Marlin in Finding Nemo. And the other humor was more situational - like the early scenes where Toothless was trying to mimic Hiccup (oh god the smiling scene was amazing). I didn't notice that many adult references or anything that required you to have more than like an average English vocabulary, really.

But maybe I just didn't get the references because I am not cultured. :(

Nah, nothing cultural. You didn't miss anything like that.

I dunno, just, things that were said and things that happened in the movie were really funny because of "how" it was said or done. I'm having a really hard time describing "why" we found it funny/entertaining when no one else in the theater really got it.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    hanzo wrote: »
    And the other humor was more situational - like the early scenes where Toothless was trying to mimic Hiccup (oh god the smiling scene was amazing).

That was by far one of the best scenes. Any of the scenes where Hiccup and Toothless were getting to know each other were great. I plan on grabbing this as soon as it comes out on Blu-ray.

Toothless trying to smile:
    toothlessSmile.png

See, that just makes me think that's a metajoke about Dreamworks' awareness of the internet meme about their previous works

Fencingsax on
  • ArlingtonArlington Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    For whatever reason when I read the thread title (How to Train Your Dragon), I thought this thread was about masturbation.

I still can't figure out if I'm relieved or disappointed.

Arlington on
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I was going to see this last weekend but didn't get around to it. But the way you guys are talking about it makes me think I'll give it a try this weekend.

Dissociater on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Saw this last night thanks to a last minute movie gift card I found. I liked it. Definitely the best animated movie from Dreamworks. The Pixar comparisons are apt.

The Dragon Designs were wildly uneven though. Toothless, the weird Raptor /Parrot and the
    Titanicus Maximus
    all seemed more slanted toward realism . By comparison the other 4 dragons we saw looked like Shrek rejects. in motion though save the Gronkle which is just awful they all look pretty cool

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I dunno, I still think Kung Fu Panda was their best - but only if you include the couple second scene at the end of the credits.

In Dragon, I was surprised that they
    maimed the protagonist. Ballsy for what is ostensibly a "kid's movie" these days.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Is the movie worth seeing in 3D?

Dissociater on
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Is the movie worth seeing in 3D?

Yes.

And a big reason why is because of that final act. It looks so good in 3D.

Melkster on
    edited March 2010
    From what I hear it's totally eye-popping in 3D.

However, my local theater jacked up the prices of 3D so that it's $5 more expensive than the 2D showings, so I saw it in 2D, and it was still good.

Dac on
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Just got back from the 2D version. Not interested in paying extra - it was already $7.

Pretty much did everything right.
    Toothless wasn't a child dragon.
    Astrid didn't start fawning over Hiccup until he'd done something truly new.
    All of the school kids felt correct. DnD Nerd I could have done without, but he helped in the end.
    None of the dragons spoke. I was half-afraid they were going to go that route.
    Titanicus Maximus is suitably named.
    As mentioned, the maiming of Hiccup.

Hiccup is wonderfully deadpan.
    Thanks for nothing, you stupid reptile.

Some minor quibbles; nothing's perfect. But far better than I would have guessed, given Dreamworks CGI track record with me. MvA could have been so much more. Over the Hedge was the last one I enjoyed; before that, it was Antz.

Tamin on
    edited March 2010
    I thought that they did the "You just gestured to all of me" line one too many times, but that was the only thing that stuck out for me.

Dac on
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The Cat wrote: »
    I know DW were trying not to be Shrek this time, but I don't think they quite got there. A lot of it was just a little too 'modern sitcom' in flavour.

This was really the only thing holding this film back from reaching the quality Pixar does so frequently. The whole movie is just an inch too silly, and some of the creature designs an inch too fanciful, to hit that sweet spot of a high-caliber film.

That all said, it's easily one of Dreamworks' best efforts so far. Unfortunately, the high critical praise isn't exactly translating into big box office returns, so I hope this movie has legs. I'd hate to see a return to Dreamworks' "celebrity voices + million pop culture references + lowbrow humor" days of yore just because it pays better.

If any of you haven't seen it yet, go and go now. And bring others.

Atomika on
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This movie was so much better than I expected. I loved that they had the balls to do the ending the way they did (as children's movies pretty much never do).

The only thing that seemed weird to me was that there were so many species of dragons in that book, but only like 5 of them in the actual movie when they made it seem like the nest was where every dragon lived.

Vincent Grayson on
    edited March 2010
    Some of those dragons in the book were genuinely creepy/scary looking.

Especially The Maw. I don't remember it's official name, but holy crap, I would not want to meet that thing in a dark alley.

Dac on
    edited April 2010
    Dac wrote: »

Especially The Maw. I don't remember it's official name, but holy crap, I would not want to meet that thing in a dark alley.

Yeah the 6 or so species that were in this movie were fucking tame compared to the ones they only showed in the book. The one that shoots boiling water to scald you to death was a winner in my book

King Riptor on
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Yeah the 6 or so species that were in this movie were fucking tame compared to the ones they only showed in the book. The one that shoots boiling water to scald you to death was a winner in my book

As was the one that shot out sonic booms that made your head explode.

Of course, now I'm waiting on the sequel, wherein the newly dragon-equipped Viking horde brings concepts of Rape & Plundering to all new horrifying levels. Because if it's anything a race of marauding psychos needs, it's ten-ton, fire-breathing, dive-bombing, hellspawn mounts.

Atomika on
    edited April 2010

Of course, now I'm waiting on the sequel, wherein the newly dragon-equipped Viking horde brings concepts of Rape & Plundering to all new horrifying levels. Because if it's anything a race of marauding psychos needs, it's ten-ton, fire-breathing, dive-bombing, hellspawn mounts.

Going by the books the kids learn to be pirates and go after treasure.

I have no idea why Vikings need lessons on pirating since they're fucking proto pirates but whatever.

King Riptor on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    http://feathereddragon.deviantart.com/art/Crochet-Toothless-the-Dragon-158419641

Edit: I was really afraid I'd go to DeviantArt and find rule 34 already in effect.

Delzhand on
  • ParisInFlamesParisInFlames Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I went to see this after seeing all the glowing reviews and finding out it wasn't a pop culture joke marathon. I didn't want to get home an hour later so I saw in 2-D.

I really like it in a way much different than I would say I loved Up or Ratatouille. I thought the film showed great restraint. It didn't try to blow me over with special effects or humor. It was perfectly fine with mixing exposition with narrative initially. Also hooray for non-talking animals. The camera work and scene transition flowed great, never jarring. Just through and through a well crafted, paced and enjoyable film.

Great premise for a book/movie that made for an almost completely unique feeling movie-going experience(hard to not get an Avatar vibe during the flight scene).

ParisInFlames on
    UnderwaterUmbrellaGirlwider.jpg
    Steam id: skoot LoL id: skoot
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Watched it today. A very good movie indeed, and it'd have almost went under my rader if it weren't for the glowing reviews. Ending was a bit by the books (well, almost), but that's probably more the fault of the source material.

Speaking of which - I noticed the dragons were kind of pokemon-y, and the one boy was reciting their 'stats' and abilities all the time - is this the same in the books? Also, what are the chances for a sequel? Does the movie cover the complete story or is there more to come?

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Watched it today. A very good movie indeed, and it'd have almost went under my rader if it weren't for the glowing reviews. Ending was a bit by the books (well, almost), but that's probably more the fault of the source material.

Speaking of which - I noticed the dragons were kind of pokemon-y, and the one boy was reciting their 'stats' and abilities all the time - is this the same in the books? Also, what are the chances for a sequel? Does the movie cover the complete story or is there more to come?
    I don't think the stats were in the books.

As for sequels, that depends if it's a success or not. We'll have to wait and see how it does over the next couple of weeks. Hopefully word-of-mouth will help it. There are more books too, though no telling if a sequel would follow them.

SpeedySwaf on
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    That was just a somewhat poorly-executed joke about D&D nerds. I don't know if it was the cinema I was in, but I actually found most of those lines very hard to hear in the sound mix.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • MegalomaniageekMegalomaniageek Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    hanzo wrote: »
    And the other humor was more situational - like the early scenes where Toothless was trying to mimic Hiccup (oh god the smiling scene was amazing).

That was by far one of the best scenes. Any of the scenes where Hiccup and Toothless were getting to know each other were great. I plan on grabbing this as soon as it comes out on Blu-ray.

Toothless trying to smile:
    toothlessSmile.png

See, that just makes me think that's a metajoke about Dreamworks' awareness of the internet meme about their previous works

I really want this to be true, but somehow I doubt it. Maybe?
    Actually I missed the "And they're all making this face" bit when I was actually *watching* the movie, but seeing it posted here made me think of it instantly (and I actually laughed out loud for a while).
    I thought that they did the "You just gestured to all of me" line one too many times, but that was the only thing that stuck out for me.

I agree. I usually like a little bit of echo from the beginning in the end, but they put it on a little too thick. Like the movie was supposed to be some kind of palindrome.
    Otherwise I really loved it; if I had another issue at all, it's probably the mentioned-above issue where numerous dragon species were supposed to exist, but only a few were ever rendered, and that some of those dragons looked really stupid.

Megalomaniageek on
    edited April 2010

There's like 9 books. This movie ignores the premise they set up almost entirley.

King Riptor on
    edited April 2010
    Also
    "It's not what you look like. It's what's inside that he can't stand."
    made me lol pretty hard.

Dac on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    saw this movie in Imax 3D

had a great time

Pony on
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Tamin wrote: »
    Just got back from the 2D version. Not interested in paying extra - it was already $7.

Pretty much did everything right.
    Toothless wasn't a child dragon.
    Astrid didn't start fawning over Hiccup until he'd done something truly new.
    All of the school kids felt correct. DnD Nerd I could have done without, but he helped in the end.
    None of the dragons spoke. I was half-afraid they were going to go that route.
    Titanicus Maximus is suitably named.
    As mentioned, the maiming of Hiccup.

Hiccup is wonderfully deadpan.
    Thanks for nothing, you stupid reptile.

Some minor quibbles; nothing's perfect. But far better than I would have guessed, given Dreamworks CGI track record with me. MvA could have been so much more. Over the Hedge was the last one I enjoyed; before that, it was Antz.

Man.
    The D&D nerd was my favorite of the bunch, though... Didn't the black-haired one remind anyone of Jack Black?

That reminds me of the scene when
    They arrive at the dragon island, and though you can't see it entirely, you notice a dragon is the source of that weird noise Toothless follows. It makes me think it's the sonic boom dragon.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The Cat wrote: »
    That was just a somewhat poorly-executed joke about D&D nerds. I don't know if it was the cinema I was in, but I actually found most of those lines very hard to hear in the sound mix.

I had the same problem.

I was thoroughly impressed by the movie, though. If there was any downside it was probably some of the voice-acting.

thanimations on
    edited April 2010
    Saw in in 3d yesterday. The movie was great.
    800 talking children were not.

"What happens next?" I almost turned around and yelled "You stupid fuck, it's called narrative! Watch the movie, you'll see what happens next!"

"Mommy, my I dropped my glasses!" (under my seat, for the third time)

"Why do I have to be quiet at the movie theater?" "Because, child, the 28 year old man in front of you is about to leap up and punch you and your mother in the face."

If there wasn't a dragon on-screen, there was talking. The scene where Hiccup's father is talking to Gobber was just non-stop chatter from the peanut gallery.

This is, of course, my fault. I know better than to see 4:55 matinees of "kids movies" on Friday of a long-school-weekend when the movie came out this week. But I did it anyway.

Delzhand on
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, how dare you expect parents to teach their kids basic consideration for others?

Dac on
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    My experience was the opposite. Lots of kids, but they were good. Only real noise was one little four or five year old girl who was terrified by Toothless at the start. Her older (By like, a year at max) sister was trying to comfort her. It was cute.

Nova_C on
  • SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Nova_C wrote: »
    My experience was the opposite. Lots of kids, but they were good. Only real noise was one little four or five year old girl who was terrified by Toothless at the start. Her older (By like, a year at max) sister was trying to comfort her. It was cute.
    That sounds adorable.

Not that anyone could stay scared of this

338883_1262164185247_312_327.jpg

SpeedySwaf on
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, how dare you expect parents to teach their kids basic consideration for others?

It isn't the kids' fault, really. I mean, if you've only been to 2-3 movies in your life and you're, you know, five, you're still in the learning stage. And it's not the parent's fault, at least not with the kid behind me - at least she was trying to keep the kid focused.

Really, we just should have gone to a late showing. I was the one with control over my experience, and I disregarded prior knowledge because I really wanted to see it.

On a separate note, I'm not sure the 3D is really worth it. I didn't have headaches or anything, but the first dragon attack scene was hard to follow, and there wasn't really anything more immersive about the experience.

Delzhand on
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Which is why I just watch 2D versions, because I don't really care about "omg flight scenes IN 3D!". In fact, the glasses distract me during a movie.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Just saw this movie today. We were gonna originally see Clash of the Titans, but this got so many good reviews that we decided to go with this movie instead.

Absolutely loved it! Definitely one of the best Dreamworks films to date.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This movie was excellent from top to bottom. Again, the only complaints I would have would be the two already echoed here: Not enough dragons, and the "all of me" line was overplayed and they're both minor quibbles.

Unsure whether "You stupid reptile" or "It's what's inside that he doesn't like" was my favorite line

Saw it in 3D and found it quite enjoyable

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited April 2010
    I saw a kid with a stuffed version of the Two headed Dragon.

I am sorely tempted to get Toothless if he is available.

Uh for my uh . . . dog. Yeah my dog.

King Riptor on
  • Susan DelgadoSusan Delgado Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I saw a kid with a stuffed version of the Two headed Dragon.

I am sorely tempted to get Toothless if he is available.

Uh for my uh . . . dog. Yeah my dog.
    I haven't found a good plush toothless yet...I hope they make one, though....for my dog, too...yeah...the dog.

Susan Delgado on
    Go then, there are other worlds than these.
  • An-DAn-D Enthusiast AshevilleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Saw this movie tonight. Fantastic. I am recommending it to all my friends.

My current facebook status is: "...is the unholy offspring of lightning and death."

An-D on
    edited April 2010
    Ok, another questions to those who know the books: The part where Hiccup reads the dragon manual and every dragon is described as "Extremely dangerous. Kill on sight." - is it the same there? From what I got from the wiki entry, the vikings seem to be friends with most dragons (actually, it seems that the books tell a completely different story, and they only share setting and names). Do all those different dragons even exist in the books?

Alfred J. Kwak on