As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Painting and Practicing- dancers 1/20

• Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Thanks, Mustang. I didn't think of him as a whale at first but then once I finished I realized he looked like a whale, and I like him :)
    I think making funny monsters is really fun and I'm going to do more.

lyrium on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm really liking the tree one. I like the simple color palette.

One thing though- it seems like rather than being tucked underneath her, the girl's skirt looks like it has a really wide brim.

I think it looks like a whale because of the eye position and the wide mouth and the lighter underbelly.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'm glad you like the tree one, Tam. I probably should have looked up a reference for the skirt, or just had my room mate sit in one, haha.

I've been working on this because I saw someone else drawing busts in his thread and I wanted to try too:

bust1.jpg

lyrium on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    :^:

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, this is quite an improvement I think. You might smooth out some of the strokes, but only if you feel confident enough to.

Tam on
  • Options
    midori_foxmidori_fox Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    i'm kinda surprised that i have the same anatomy book (great book!) AND the same headphones (good quality, but DAMN do they hurt my ears after a while).

As for interesting ways to practice. If i'm not mistaken, there are some great links to tutorials and info in the OP of the questions thread here.

What book? Im looking for a good anatomy book.

midori_fox on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Lyrium, that's awesome! Like tam said, you could smooth out the strokes, but it looks pretty great as it is!

Flay on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    MIdori_fox, the anatomy book I have is Human Anatomy for Artists with illustrations by Andras Szunyoghy.
    Thanks Mustang, Tam, and Flay. I replaced that image with a better scan from home (it seems like the one at school darkens some places oddly). I don't know if I'll touch this one up right now, but I'll try to make the next one I do smoother for sure.

Also here are some paintings:

monster2pro.jpg

He had to be scanned in two pieces because he's 16 inches tall. The colors on the scan turned out pretty accurate, just the darker parts should be more purply.

booats.jpg

birds.jpg

These two are very small; I painted them on the backs of some old peg games I found in the house.

and working from a tutorial

tuteye.jpg

lyrium on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That bust study is great. You could maybe push the values the black values a bit further, but it looks aces.

I like the color scheme on the boats piece, but the direction of all the boats and lack of space on the right is leading me right off of the piece.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    lyrium: do you have Photoshop CS3 or 4? because you should be able to combine those two images using photomerge.

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    No, I don't have CS3 or 4. Maybe I can find a free program that would be able to do something like that though.
    Thanks for the input, Nibcrom. I didn't even consider that on the boat one, but now I really see what you're saying.

More things

Finishing off those tutorials:

tutmouth.jpg

tutear.jpg

tutnose.jpg

I had never used charcoal and I really wanted to try it so I went for it. These are just the features from the tutorials, without really focusing intensely on the features themselves but more just trying out the charcoal. I really like it!

charcoal.jpg

and some more experimenting on the tiny wood pieces. I really like painting on wood, I've found.

cello.jpg

3poisons.jpg

butterflies.jpg

lyrium on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    the paintings are super nice

I really dig the cello

Tam on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Tam wrote: »

I really dig the cello

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Thanks, Tam and Nap :) I like how the cello turned out, too- very simple.

A third monster fellow. I got the notion of him from a poem I read, which only described the monster as being purple with yellow eyes and webbed feet. He is so sad and ugly that he spends all of his time crying and calling random numbers trying to figure out where he came from, as well as trying to drown himself in his cereal milk.

uglylittlemonster.jpg

lyrium on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    lyrium wrote: »
    A third monster fellow. I got the notion of him from a poem I read, which only described the monster as being purple with yellow eyes and webbed feet. He is so sad and ugly that he spends all of his time crying and calling random numbers trying to figure out where he came from, as well as trying to drown himself in his cereal milk.

who knew that the brush that painted all these cute and cuddly things was held by a sadist

a humorous sadist, in fairness

Tam on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

who knew that the brush that painted all these cute and cuddly things was held by a sadist

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f399/lyrium/uglylittlemonster.jpg

The sad/ugly/cereal drowning stuff was all in the poem! It is funny, though :)

lyrium on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

uglylittlemonster.jpg

The sad/ugly/cereal drowning stuff was all in the poem! It is funny, though :)

I don't know why but that is seriously the saddest thing I've ever seen.

Wow. That really seriously jolted my brain. :(

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'm sorry Aumni!

I did these really quick (about 30 min each) paintings on panel board, and surprisingly people seem to really like them. What do you folks think?

quick1.jpg

quick2.jpg

quick3.jpg

lyrium on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That first one is awesome Lyrium! I really like the way you applied the colors.

I wish the second one had a stronger composition. It’s also lacking the energy of the first piece. The looser coloring of the first one would make it more interesting I think.

Looks like you’re working hard and improving! Keep it up!

NibCrom on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Thanks for the encouragement, Nibcrom! I was looking at your posts in the resolutions thread and I was thinking that it looks like you're improving, too!

Here are some more fast paintings on panel board. I really enjoy making them and my room mate really likes them, haha.

bluface.jpg

lilface.jpg

seedlingheart.jpg

Also some animals that I liked:

oran4.jpg

oran2.jpg

kestrel.jpg

pygmyfalcon.jpg

lyrium on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I love the colors in those paintings.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    bluface.jpg

this is lovely as fucking hell

Kochikens on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Agreed

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Well... I liked it before it was cool to like it.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited May 2010
    The lyrium paintings I like best are the ones that haven't even been painted yet.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    fffffffff

I like the one's that will never be painted the best!

(wait that sounds kinda mean...)

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited May 2010
    haha, Thanks everyone!
    Does this mean I'll be cool someday?

lyrium on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    aren't you cool already?

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited May 2010
    being the child of jazz musicians automatically confers +3 cool advantage
    Kochikens wrote: »
    bluface.jpg

this is lovely as fucking hell

Tam on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Kochikens wrote: »

Flay on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    being the child of jazz musicians automatically confers +3 cool advantage

haha, I learned this living in the hipster dorm last year 8-)

Since you folks like that blue lady so much, here is the full size if you'd like to see it:
    bigblu.jpg

I found some pastels that I wanted to play with on the panel board, too. So even though it was really quick and I don't know what I'm doing, I'll post it:

pastel-1.jpg

Also I did this for someone and I kind of like it- another relatively new media for me.

bicycle.jpg

(because they both want to fly)

lyrium on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I did another one tonight.

kissy.jpg

lyrium on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    its so magical

(both of them)

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited July 2010
    It's been a while but I am back to this thread. Here are a few things from the past couple of days:

charcoalboy.jpg

because I liked this photo http://www.flickr.com/photos/afreebirdphoto/4805107121/in/pool-bwportraits

dodos.jpg

Dodos and toy pianos, in preparation for this-

dodo.jpg

- which is going to be my next painting.

cary2.jpg

drawing near the train station

cary1.jpg

also near the train station

OKAY NOW SERIOUSLY

A while ago, Tam asked me in this thread what direction I want to go in, so that it's easier to give advice. Well, now I can answer that question. I'm going to school right now to get a biology degree, because I really do like biology and enjoy learning about it at school. However, I've gradually come to realize that what I really, really want to do in the future is be a portrait artist. I really love people, and I love looking at people, strangers, everywhere, and just getting such a powerful sense of personality and character just by the way their faces and bodies are shaped, by the way they hold themselves and the like. When I go out in public places to sketch people, I fell like that's how I'm connecting with them, and it's really important to me. If I can think of the greatest possible thing, it would be to be able to spend my days sitting and painting people. So, I want to go somewhere like an atelier where I can learn how to paint in a more classical manner so that I can have the skills I need to make the portraits that I want to make. I can't do that right now because I have two years left to study biology, but I want to do all that I can to improve in these two years on my own. Basically, right now I'm just trying to draw a lot, figuring any time I put a pencil to paper with the goal of getting better it can't hurt me. More advice towards this goal though, would be wonderful. One thing I know is that I need to slow down and take more time to plot out the features and get things lined up correctly. I know that it's a long road, and extremely difficult to actually make a career out of something like this, but I'm willing to put in all of the time, and wait a long time, and hopefully having a biology degree will help me to not starve in the mean time.
    The other side of what I like to do is the less serious, more imaginative stuff. I'm a very imaginative person so really I just see this sort of drawing and painting as something fun for me to do, and other people seem to have some fun looking at them too, so that's nice. I'd like to continue this sort of art as well because it brings me a lot of delight and relaxation, and of course improve on things like composition, and other skills in these sorts of images too.

So....
    any input?

lyrium on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I read Lyrium....hmm advises.

There's two schools of thought on the subject.

Put everything you have into your drawing, quit school, join an atelier and go apeshit on art for 5 years, no excuses, no looking back and no backup plans.

Or alternatively you can take baby art steps, finish your degree, do lots of drawing in your free time and then look at an atelier after school.

If I was your dad I'd be advising you to do the later, you're still pretty young and you've got time to think about where you want to be in the world. A biology degree is certainly something worth having and art school is still going to be there. So I like your plan is what I'm saying.

Don't ever give up on where you want to be though, ending up in a job you dread going to everyday is no way to live life. Sometimes the temptation of a big pay day can take you off-course to a place you don't want to be, so keep it in mind. You're a smart girl though, I'd be surprised if things didn't work out well for you.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Thanks, Mustang. As far as the dreading a job thing, what I'm happy about is that I really do like biology, so I think if I got any related job then I would like it, even if it didn't involve a big pay check. My dad is actually super supportive about just doing what will make me happy, so I'm pretty lucky in that regard. When he was my age he moved to LA to be a musician, and everything worked out for him (though I think he probably does feel better that I'm going to finish my degree).
    Good luck to you with concept art, also!

lyrium on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Oh that's not going to happen, I just like to dream. Graphic design is about the best I can hope for, but you never know, the internets makes the world a smaller place.

Also your dad sounds awesome.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'd say finish your degree first. At the very least, you'll be able to support your art education with, say, a clinical job.

Now, are you looking to do classical portraiture exclusively?

Tam on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, the plan is definitely to finish my degree first, I was more wondering what to do with art in the meantime considering my goal after college. As far as exclusively classical portraiture, I'm not sure what you mean exactly. I like to try a lot of different things and I wan tto paint people in a lot of different ways, so probably no?

I just got actual acrylic paints and not craft acrylic paints, so I was playing with them and I made a beetle.

beetle345.jpg

Also- yes, Mustang, my dad is one of the most awesome.

lyrium on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    ok

the only thing I can say for portraiture is to observe the hell out of people and draw as many different kinds of people as you can

also, cartooning/caricature can sort of help you distill the character in a person's face

Tam on