As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Green Lantern Thread

• Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    There's an old silver age Legion story that is similar to Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow.
    Mr. Mxyzptlk murders the entire Legion of Super-Heroes for no reason and Superboy has to reverse the magic.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    As I promised over in the Blackest Night thread last night, I read Wonder Woman #42 and am posting a short spoiler since it features the Green Lanterns. Seeing as this issue has absolutely nothing to do with Blackest Night, I decided I'd resurrect the Green Lantern thread. Hopefully Rans sees this post because he is the one that asked for the spoiler.
    The issue is basically split into thirds.

The first third reads very much like a "Tales of the Corps" type of story. You have 3 relatively unknown Green Lanterns who are investigating a planet. The one who is narrating this portion of the story is named Procanon Kaa, and the world they are investigating is in his sector.

Basically, he tells the story of a cute race of little munchkin type people that lived on the planet. They were a simple society of farmers and skilled laborers. They did not have very complex technology at all. As he is explaining this, the imagery indicates that things are not well, and sure enough, when they arrive at the village, nobody is there. The whole thing is covered in dust and all that remains is ruins.

They find one sole survivor who tells them that a plague of snakes came from space and ate all her people. She was hiding and somehow got missed. Then the snake plague returns and the Green Lanterns make an escape with the last remaining munchkin, but not before one of the GLs gets caught in the snake swarm and devoured.

Cut to earth. The second part of the issue is basically a conversation that Diana is having with Steve Trevor while she's hauling around debris and cleaning up from the recent attacks on Washington DC. Trevor tells her that they are going to be restructuring the Department of Metahuman Affairs and taking it global and asks her if she wants her old job back on the force as Diana Prince.

In the third part of the issue, a giant space-ship appears over Washington DC and deploys some sort of shield bubble that completely isolates the city, and it cuts off all communication. She makes a very deliberate notation that her JLA emergency alert message was jammed, so she's on her own.

Wonder Woman makes a head-on assault on the spaceship and gets shot out of the sky by a giant laser beam. The final image of the book shows Diana in a crater with a tall blond woman in armor standing over her. The blond claims to be Diana's aunt. She says that she is Hypolyta's sister.

Space Amazons. Lol.

Lucascraft on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Whaaaaaat.

Wildcat on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    What? o_O

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • RansRans Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    huh, well thanks Lucascraft

i'm torn because i'm a GL nut and also not interested in WW at all. it's a 3 parter, right? so maybe i'll wait and see if the GLs play a significant role for the whole thing and if it's actually a good story.

maybe we should lock both the GL and BN threads and start a Brightest Day thread

Rans on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That kind of ties into JLA then too, mainly the villain who is ripping off Big Barda.

TexiKen on
    edited April 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    That kind of ties into JLA then too, mainly the villain who is ripping off Big Barda.

I haven't read JLA yet this week, but I flipped through it to see who you were talking about. The Big Barda chick is not the same person that showed up in the spaceship in WW.

Lucascraft on
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Finally read the first 2/3rds of Rage of the Red Lanterns last night (Before I got too tired to finish it heh)

Really really enjoying it so far. Shame everybody has said Agent Orange is a dissapointing follow up but I'm looking forward to it anyways.

Should I read Sins of the Star Sapphire before I move on to Agent Orange? I'm not sure how much GL and GLC crossover there is and if there is a certain order that I should read Red Lantern/Agent Orange/Star Sapphire/Emerald Eclipse

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Who said Agent Orange is disappointing?

It is hilarious

Furu on
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, Agent Orange is really good. Larfleeze is among the best brand new characters to be created by DC in a really long time.

Lucascraft on
    edited June 2010
    most of the "internet" seems to have thought it was a disappointing followup to Red Lanterns, I'm happy to hear you guys disagree.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The art stinks is why.

KyleWPeterson on
    edited June 2010
    Agent Orange was lackluster because it had Philip Tan's bad art and was strongly telegraphed on having Hal out of all the people in the story be the one who saves the day and have him touch the battery to be the one who's touched most of the rings. And it also made the Guardians into that realm of "...really?" stupid in dealing with the blue rings.

Johns also killed Gretti just to show how kewl the orange lanterns are.

Larfleeze becomes a better character during Blackest Night but Agent Orange when released (it was delayed because Tan can't even do 3 issues on time), the GLC was doing the Star Sapphire story which was a lot better.

TexiKen on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I kinda liked how Larfleeze was drawn ten feet tall with curling wild boad tusks and horns and orange flames engulfing him, personally. Seeing him drawn all reedy and scarecrowish afterwards was weird, although I guess it suits him better.

It would've been cool if the Tan-drawn Larfleeze had been a construct he wrapped himself up in, with the scrawnier Larfleeze being revealed after he was stripped of it.

I hope we see him use the entire orange power to become giant Larfleeze again at some point.

Yeah, Larfleeze rules.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
    edited June 2010
    Rage and Agent Orange were enjoyable, but it was around this time that Johns's writing of Hal Jordan went from "my favorite Green Lantern" to "the greatest hero of all time ever and no one is as cool as Hal Jordan".

Futt Bucker on
    edited June 2010
    But its true. He is the greatest hero ever and no one is as cool as him.

Lucascraft on
    edited June 2010
    It's okay Geoff, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Futt Bucker on
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Man Hal Jordan might be the third coolest Green Lantern. Maybe. Kyle and Guy are both way more interesting. Oh wait Kilowog bumps Hal down to fourth. Hmm, and Mogo's pretty great. Not looking good, Hal.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ganthet was a guardian, AND had his own corps, and is now a member- and made his own ring through sheer manliness and willpower. I think that puts him up there.

Tairu on
    edited June 2010
    man what! John Stewart is by far the best green lantern.

bunch of heathens in this thread.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sodam Yat got out of that sun he was in too, and Hal moves down another notch.

Edit: Oh, and Larfleez is my favorite thing in GL comics right now. I always wondered though why he didn't go all 300,000% charged up during Blackest Night?

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sodam Yat is cool. He fought against Superboy Prime and held his own, if it hadn't been for silly Daxamite weaknesses who knows...

Solar on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hells yeah, that was one of my favorite fights from the Sinestro Corps War. Prime is basically unbeatable, but Yat put up a hell of a fight, and his dialogue was great too.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I have to wonder what a former Guardian's ring constructs will be like.

"I envision a better, more orderly universe."

And then it is for a second. And green.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sorry, Kyle is not cooler than Hal. Or anyone. Kyle is terrible. Characters killed off by his existence are more interesting than he is.

I do like Hal, but arguments that Stewart or Guy (when he's not being written as an idiot) are better are valid.

But we all know Kilowog is the best lantern.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
    edited June 2010
    This would have been true until we got Bzzt.

Wildcat on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Best living Lantern then.

Edit: Poor Bzzt. :(

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
    edited June 2010
    :( This is true.

Wildcat on
    edited June 2010
    Finished Agent Orange last night (as well as Sins of the Star Sapphire)

I liked it! I thought the art was just fine and the story was kinda different, I enjoyed how the "Orange Lanterns" were very different from the other corps.

All I have left before Blackest Night is Emerald Eclipse now, I'm assuming the Indigo lanterns are in that one? (kinda cool how blackest night 0, which is at the end of the agent orange trade, has a page for all the lanterns and for the indigo ones it's all "the universe has not discovered them yet!!")

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    edited June 2010
    Inidgos don't show up until Blackest Night.

Futt Bucker on
    edited June 2010
    awww

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    edited June 2010
    The indigos kind of show up out of the blue. Its very deus ex machina. They serve a fairly specific purpose in the story and they aren't all that developed. Hopefully between Johns, Tomasi, and Bedard, one of them will flesh them out a bit more over the next couple of years.

Lucascraft on
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, they really do pop up out of nowhere, and they have a magical teleport ability key to the plot. In Blackest Night #0 there was a pin up of all the key Indigo Tribe people and of that group only two are every really given screen time.

Although the ending to BN makes it seem like they could have some good stories to tell about the Indigo Tribe.

TexiKen on
  • KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I still think the Indigo Tribe will end up being villains.

KyleWPeterson on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    How would that work, exactly?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited June 2010
    Compassion to turn you into a slave.

It's for your own good

TexiKen on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I can see rationalizing an evil act as compassionate, but I think it'd be hard to actually paint compassion in a negative light.

Unless this was a Mr. A story.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited June 2010
    People think they'll be evil because of what they did to Black Hand at the end of Blackest Night.

Forgetting that keeping him chained up and blissed out on compassion is the best way to keep him from offing himself and bringing back Nekron.

Furu on
    edited June 2010
    It wasn't that that freaked me out on them, it was that last page or written text by Black Hand where he's basically asking for help because they're mind raping him.

TexiKen on
    edited June 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    It wasn't that that freaked me out on them, it was that last page or written text by Black Hand where he's basically asking for help because they're mind raping him.

Yes, and what would Hand consider helpful?

getting killed

Furu on