As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Post-PAX Blues

2»

• Options
    denigraddenigrad Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I have to say that I agree with everyone here. This was my first PAX. Heck - it was my first ever convention! Having no idea what to expect, I was first overwhelmed by the number of people. Then I was overwhelmed that everyone looked happy, not pissed off at waiting in lines. Respect was shared among everyone.

The strongest chills/goosebumps I've ever experienced in my life was when Wil Wheaton told us: "Welcome Home."

I am like the others here just trying to hang onto the feeling of euphoria that was this past weekend. Searching for video, photos, and stories from everyone. It is a drive stronger than saying "just one more level!"

I hope Robert announces the date for PAX EAST '11 soon. I'm gonna get a clock like he has in his office! [BTW: Robert, thanks for stopping and signing my book, and thanks for putting on such a great party!]

To everyone who has posted and those that will, thank you for sharing your stories. It makes the blues a little less strong :)

denigrad on
  • Options
    GoblinBardGoblinBard Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This was my first PAX and I feel bummed. Not as bummed as I do after Gencon, but pretty freaking close. As much money as it cost me to get there I definitely want to attend PAX East 2011!

Playing cards in the lobby of the Sheraton, watching people play demos of Maschine Zeit in the open gaming area, and meeting great geek icons...this con was terrific!

GoblinBard on
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I have the postPAXblues pretty bad also. It did at least inspire me to do something though...

This was my first major con too. I had a blast meeting everyone. March 2011 can't come soon enough (since there's no way I can make it to Prime...at least this year)

Halfazedninja on
    My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Boy, lemme tell you, editing a podcast you recorded with friends after PAX talking about your experiences, and then tacking on the audio you recorded AT PAX with some of those same friends and remembering how much fun that entire time was doesn't fucking help your ennui about not being there.

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, I'm bummed as well. I missed the convention, but Monday after it was over, I sat in my hotel alone waiting for the airport shuttle and missed my wife in kids.

At least the group I traveled w/ were all new to PAX and some of us work together...we're talking about starting up a regular game night after work.

How is GenCon compared to PAX? PAX was my second convention ever...I live within 2 hrs of GenCon. Maybe it's time for an Arcadian invasion there.

macrogeek on
  • Options
    MidnyghtChildeMidnyghtChilde NYRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Seeing how many people have been inspired, myself included, to start their own game nights or track down local gaming stores because of PAX makes me all warm and fuzzy inside :-D

MidnyghtChilde on
  • Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If anyone's bored at work/school/home, I'd love it if you would listen to my friends and I talk about our experiences at PAX East. It's long, but I think it's a pretty good episode! The first 1h45m was recorded after PAX via Skype, and the last 30 was live in the hotel room at PAX. http://www.geeksofunusualsize.com/podcast/the-best-swag-was-the-memories-go-us-episode-40-recorded-032710-and-032910/

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    gilby123gilby123 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    macrogeek wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm bummed as well. I missed the convention, but Monday after it was over, I sat in my hotel alone waiting for the airport shuttle and missed my wife in kids.

At least the group I traveled w/ were all new to PAX and some of us work together...we're talking about starting up a regular game night after work.

How is GenCon compared to PAX? PAX was my second convention ever...I live within 2 hrs of GenCon. Maybe it's time for an Arcadian invasion there.

Gen Con is a fun con too, particularly if you're into tabletop games. I've been to 3 of them. However, while they are a good time to attend, I didn't get the sense of community and belonging that PAX East had.

Don't get me wrong, the people there are nice and friendly as well, just didn't have the same...I dunno...spark? Hard to define.

gilby123 on
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the
    world attaching the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples
    of ignorance?" - John Lithgow, 3rd Rock from the Sun
  • Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It's really encouraging to see so many people getting turned on to the community. The community at PAX East this year was a tad anemic compared to Seattle's, but I think that was simply because so many people were new and hadn't made connections yet. Seeing that happening now I think that next year is going to be "off the chain" as it is said.

I'm having hotel party withdrawal though... and I need to start planning for Prime.
    I also realize that I can't stand the orange skin tan complexion wannabes in my hometown,all they do is watch mtv and get high...

So I take it you're not fond of Jersey Shore?

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It's really encouraging to see so many people getting turned on to the community. The community at PAX East this year was a tad anemic compared to Seattle's, but I think that was simply because so many people were new and hadn't made connections yet. Seeing that happening now I think that next year is going to be "off the chain" as it is said.

I'm having hotel party withdrawal though... and I need to start planning for Prime.
    I also realize that I can't stand the orange skin tan complexion wannabes in my hometown,all they do is watch mtv and get high...

Hey, how did you get up to PAX? We drove and after the trip back, we are definitely not doing that next year.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    I've found that I'm much less patient with people now that PAX is over. After spending a weekend with a bunch of like-minded, respectful people all having a good time, being behind some jerk driving 10 below the speed limit because he's on his cell phone makes me want to punch him in the throat.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    NotACrook wrote: »

Hey, how did you get up to PAX? We drove and after the trip back, we are definitely not doing that next year.

Took the train. Amtrak 66 & 67. Grueling 11-12 hours each way, but at least there is plenty of power for laptops/phones/whatever. Just for the sheer cheapness (as low as $68/ticket) I'll probably do it again. Not an option for Prime though... way too long.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    NotACrook wrote: »

Took the train. Amtrak 66 & 67. Grueling 11-12 hours each way, but at least there is plenty of power for laptops/phones/whatever. Just for the sheer cheapness (as low as $68/ticket) I'll probably do it again. Not an option for Prime though... way too long.

I just took a look at Southwest's site and they have fares as low as $39 on some days between BWI and Logan. I'll probably look into that for next year.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    SinkuuSinkuu Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    astillac wrote: »
    Me. I miss my peoples. No one is going to randomly shout "POKEWALKER!" in mid conversation, and suddenly pokewalkers come tumbling out of pockets and off lanyards and into a circle. Not until Prime, I guess.

I miss you guys. :( A lot.

EDIT: I guess I should actually answer the question - I've turned to the IRC chat and the forums.

THIS, for me, sucks. I bought the damned thing for PAX, and I'm thinking, "ok, NOW what the hell do I do to get gifts? walk into a gamestop and look like a COMPLETE idiot or some kind of pedophile?" (I'm 36.)

next gaming con for me is maybe may, or july, but they're local things, and not many are gonna have pokewalkers like PAX did.

hell, I think I did about 15-20 gifts as I was trying to walk the hell out of the place sunday at noon to catch my train home.

definitely a bigger crash than what I'm used to, post-con. I doubt I'll make it out for prime, so I will simply wait for East 2011.

Sinkuu on
    they made me a signature, but I eated it. and I have an 18 inch laptop. :P
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Hah, NotACrook, I read your post and my first thought was "wow, way to break rule #1 - Don't be a Dick!"

I can understand the grumpiness though. Being openly nerdy for 72 hours then being forced back down into the role of Normal Peon at work sucks.

Especially when my coworkers kept asking me about my days off. I tried being vague, but they didn't let me slide with "a convention in Boston" - I had to explain. Then I got the strange looks and hurried attempts to end the conversation when I tried to explain the glory and amazingness that is PAX without gushing. Trying to explain it in laymans terms is so hard.

So I came to the forums and made an account to hang out here on my break!

Trade Show for video games and other games.

that should be enough for the Mundanes.

Sinkuu on
  • Options
    astillacastillac Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sinkuu wrote: »
    No one is going to randomly shout "POKEWALKER!" in mid conversation, and suddenly pokewalkers come tumbling out of pockets and off lanyards and into a circle. Not until Prime, I guess.

THIS, for me, sucks. I bought the damned thing for PAX, and I'm thinking, "ok, NOW what the hell do I do to get gifts? walk into a gamestop and look like a COMPLETE idiot or some kind of pedophile?"

I ended up buying the other version for a friend that I see on a regular basis. That way I can trade and get gifts. Certainly not at PAX rate, but... it's better than nothing.

astillac on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    james816 wrote: »
    Since PAX, I've been desperately trying to find a social group that matches my interests. I've discovered that post-college, this is not an easy feat. All of my friends that live within 60 miles are non-gamers, and I live in a relatively small city.

I had way more fun at PAX than I could have ever expected, and in a way, it was a wake up call to what was missing in my life.

to anyone who has problems in that they want to find a local gaming group, I offer this:

do some research.

find a store in your area that sells board games/card games/whatnot. call that store, ask if they offer in-store gaming. some do, some don't. it's a bonus if they do, but not a negative if they don't.

go there, take a day, hang out. just talk to people. talk to the people running the store, get to know them, as they'll become a part of your life as a gamer in the future. ask them if they know anyone who's looking for more for a gaming group. walk up and down the aisles, and if you see someone holding a game you want to play, ask them what they think of it. talking to gamers, you'll find brethren like you would at PAX.

look for a local gaming convention. Google the web, there are tons of local convention calendars out there. you can also ask at your Friendly Local Gaming Store (or FLGS) if they've heard of a convention coming up. now, it won't be like PAX in that there'll be tons of companies hawking wares, but you'll most likely find people hanging out in a hotel ballroom doing one simple thing: playing games.

these are two great ways to find "The PAX Experience" and bring it a little closer to home for you.

Sinkuu on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Sinkuu wrote: »
    No one is going to randomly shout "POKEWALKER!" in mid conversation, and suddenly pokewalkers come tumbling out of pockets and off lanyards and into a circle. Not until Prime, I guess.

THIS, for me, sucks. I bought the damned thing for PAX, and I'm thinking, "ok, NOW what the hell do I do to get gifts? walk into a gamestop and look like a COMPLETE idiot or some kind of pedophile?"

I ended up buying the other version for a friend that I see on a regular basis. That way I can trade and get gifts. Certainly not at PAX rate, but... it's better than nothing.

one of my friend's kids has the games (he's about 16.), I'll be bugging him next I see him.

Sinkuu on
  • Options
    terrixterrix Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    james816 wrote: »
    Since PAX, I've been desperately trying to find a social group that matches my interests. I've discovered that post-college, this is not an easy feat. All of my friends that live within 60 miles are non-gamers, and I live in a relatively small city.

I had way more fun at PAX than I could have ever expected, and in a way, it was a wake up call to what was missing in my life.

Where do you live in NC? I didn't know that many people that went to PAX, but I found out today a guy I knew on Facebook was at PAX East...still kicking myself for not going.

terrix on
  • Options
    TavataarTavataar Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I have definitely been feeling it as well. These last few days back at work have been wearing on too long.

I keep replaying a bunch of Coulton songs from Saturday night and think about being in a crowd of some-odd thousand people singing along :)

Also a ton of picture and video surfing.

Thank you to everyone who made last weekend such a blast: the PA crew, the Enforcers, the exhibitors, and all of the awesome attendees!

Tavataar on
    -Tavataar
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The best I could suggest to people is find and join a local game group. I know my usual group meets tomorrow night and, with the week I've had since PAX ended (flooding...because Nature wants MA to turn into Atlantis, medical issues, what apparently is standard post-PAX blues), I'm looking forward to it more than ever.

gilby123 on
  • Options
    capnjackcapnjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    gilby123 wrote: »
    The best I could suggest to people is find and join a local game group. I know my usual group meets tomorrow night and, with the week I've had since PAX ended (flooding...because Nature wants MA to turn into Atlantis, medical issues, what apparently is standard post-PAX blues), I'm looking forward to it more than ever.

I think I'm going to try to do this. Incidentally, if anyone is in the Wilmington, or Media/Drexel Hill PA area, let me know if you wanna game.

capnjack on
    Q: "You are in the garden. You see a rose bush. You have a fishing rod. Exits are North, South and IN."
    A: "What do you want from me?!?!?"
  • Options
    smerksmerk Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm still holed up in Boston with PAX Pox (No Home to go to, see?), And I've got the blues real bad. I've been spending a lot of time on the forums, and Planning my trip to PAX prime. Actually bought my train tickets already, And will soon be arranging plane flights from Australia, too (Save >25% at least when you book almost half a year in advance)

I'm also designing my Costume for next year, and practising talking like the character in question.
    When my forum posts are down to a reasonable length, I shall know it is time.

smerk on
    What is this 'Pants' of which you speak?
  • Options
    vadthrawnvadthrawn Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So I attended my first PAX and, within one day's time, felt that tug in the very cockles of the heart urging me to go back. It was an amazing experience from the panels to the expo floor and, more importantly, the people that attended. Everyone had a great attitude and it was a great time had by all (except maybe the guy caught trying to steal Breach. Don't drop the soap man). I heard that PAX is a convention for you and the 50,000+ friends you never knew you had. They were right!

I feel like I left 50,000+ friends behind which I will not see again until 5 months later at best! I miss the atmosphere and the feel of the convention. Is this normal for you regular for a PAX goer? Anyone else feeling the same? What are you missing the most after a little less than a mere week since this explosion in gaming excitement took place on the east coast for the first time? Any first time goers now eyeballing prime like I am? Discuss!

PS I want to thank the enforcers and the many people at PA for putting these events together!

vadthrawn on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Sorry for the double post! Missed it somehow :/

vadthrawn on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I've got it pretty bad. After being crushed under a wave of joy, courtesy, and camaraderie I flew back to my home, job, and PAX-less existence. I am much shorter with people after attending PAX and feel like something is missing from my day. I already am planning my trip to PAX Prime and have been watching videos of East on youtube thinking fondly back on what was only mere days ago.

vadthrawn on
  • Options
    LoweryiLoweryi Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Man, it's been really tough getting back into all the work I'm doing here at school. Had two exams the day I got back and have otherwise been flooded with work, but I decided to save up the money I'll be earning to try and get out to Prime.

Also, since my friends and I were mostly wandering in our own 4-person group of crazy cosplayers, I didn't actually genuinely meet/spend time with anyone outside of my own party, which I will definitely change for next PAX. Because I still have no new friends to add to my friends list. I need to be more of an extrovert because anyone that goes to PAX is awesome.

Loweryi on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Loweryi wrote: »
    Man, it's been really tough getting back into all the work I'm doing here at school. Had two exams the day I got back and have otherwise been flooded with work, but I decided to save up the money I'll be earning to try and get out to Prime.

Also, since my friends and I were mostly wandering in our own 4-person group of crazy cosplayers, I didn't actually genuinely meet/spend time with anyone outside of my own party, which I will definitely change for next PAX. Because I still have no new friends to add to my friends list. I need to be more of an extrovert because anyone that goes to PAX is awesome.

In a lot of ways, I was actually glad that the few friends I knew that were going were partially working, either at booths or as Enforcers. That forced me to socialize outside my circle more. Granted, mostly it was just with whoever was sitting nearby, but that's still better than if I was surrounded by my group, where I'm sure we'd all be chatting.

It was cool catching up with my friends later at different points in the show, but I enjoyed meeting new folks.

gilby123 on
This discussion has been closed.