As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I Discovered...

zaxytarazaxytara Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in PAX Archive
What awesome new game, activity, product or idea did you discover at PAX East? Did you find a game you absolutely love or see someone with the coolest shirt EVER?

For example:

While working the PlayOn booth, we ended up watching a lot of Hulu shows on gaming consoles. And EVERYONE was suggesting we put on Archer. I had never heard of it before, but it looks really cool! I can't wait to watch a few episodes.

zaxytara on

• NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It's not really a discovery, but someone finally explained to me how Magic: The Gathering works.

NotASenator on
  • ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Zombie Dice! Sad I didn't get to buy a copy at the con, but I sure will when it officially launches.

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • SinterSinter Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I really can't believe I haven't seen ONE post on the subject, as this really blew my mind:

Friday night, in the Classic Console Free-play room (with all the old NES, SNES, Genesis, etc), there was one little NES system that had in it, and I am not kidding you, an ORIGINAL 1990 Nintendo World Championship cartridge!!!!! I recorded a video of it, but the amazing thing was that no one seemed to understand why I was so excited... the NES was actually being passed by and I got a chance to play it!

How come no one else noticed this!? <interrobang>

Sinter on
  • SpecTrE3353SpecTrE3353 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Fluxx. I played a game with some random people in line who were playing it and liked it. Later on me and my friends wound up buying three different versions of it. Pretty fun little card game for passing time in line:

http://www.wunderland.com/LooneyLabs/Fluxx/

SpecTrE3353 on
    WGGBannerSwitch.png
  • DopeskiDopeski Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sinter wrote: »
    I really can't believe I haven't seen ONE post on the subject, as this really blew my mind:

Friday night, in the Classic Console Free-play room (with all the old NES, SNES, Genesis, etc), there was one little NES system that had in it, and I am not kidding you, an ORIGINAL 1990 Nintendo World Championship cartridge!!!!! I recorded a video of it, but the amazing thing was that no one seemed to understand why I was so excited... the NES was actually being passed by and I got a chance to play it!

Was somebody watching it like a hawk? What's it like anyway? Is it worth the thousands of dollars?

Dopeski on
  • Andrew TatroAndrew Tatro Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Let me be the first of many to echo "ZOMBIE DICE!"

Also: Revolution and Bananagram, as well as Steel Battalion. All awesome.

Andrew Tatro on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    I shall also echo the zombie dice sentiment.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• SinkuuSinkuu Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    as one of the guys DEMOING Zombie Dice on Saturday, I enjoyed teaching it. :)

(especially since one of the people I helped teach was Wil.)

Sinkuu on
    they made me a signature, but I eated it. and I have an 18 inch laptop. :P
  • Jon007Jon007 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sinkuu wrote: »

ZOMBIE DICE was super awesome. Almost as awesome as the guy teaching it. I failed so hard at that game, yet he only gave me tips and encouragement. Still wanted to keep playing.

Then taught us all to play Cthulhu dice as well. Not bad, but ZD rocked harder. Bald, with a goatee-ish type thing?

We were the group of five or so, where for about 30 minutes, I failed to rack up ONE single friggin brain. I fail as a zombie....

Jon007 on
  • PuddingSenatorPuddingSenator Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I got to play Last Night on Earth, which was really fun. I had played Zombies!!! before and despised it, so I didn't have very high hopes, but I enjoyed it a lot.

I also got to play We Didn't Playtest This At All with a bunch of people in the lobby of the Sheraton on Sunday night, that's an extremely fun game that I plan on picking up ASAP. If you like Fluxx and haven't played it, I highly recommend it, in my opinion it's what Fluxx should have been.

I also discovered that Red November, which is a pretty decent game with 4 or 5 people, is a totally different and chaotically fun beast with 8 people.

PuddingSenator on
  • RayzeRayze Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    While in the queue line waiting for the Saturday concert, my friends and I were approached by this guy asking if we wanted to play Chrononauts (card game). It was hideously complex in explanation but pretty easy and fun to play. If we're able to find it in a store, we'll buy it so thanks to the Chrononauts guy for that

Oh, and this has nothing to do with discovering a new game but a shout out to the guy who was giving out free doughnuts from Dunkin' Donuts to people during the same queue. Really nice of him

Rayze on
  • AhkhiraAhkhira Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Utilikilts.

Gotta get one, even if I am a chick. I'd rather be comfortable.

Ahkhira on
    Find me at the Magic: The Gathering events!
  • SinkuuSinkuu Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Jon007 wrote: »
    Sinkuu wrote: »

ZOMBIE DICE was super awesome. Almost as awesome as the guy teaching it. I failed so hard at that game, yet he only gave me tips and encouragement. Still wanted to keep playing.

Then taught us all to play Cthulhu dice as well. Not bad, but ZD rocked harder. Bald, with a goatee-ish type thing?

We were the group of five or so, where for about 30 minutes, I failed to rack up ONE single friggin brain. I fail as a zombie....

that was most likely Randy. I was the baldING guy with the black shirt with the Pyramid on it there for most of saturday afternoon.

Sinkuu on
    they made me a signature, but I eated it. and I have an 18 inch laptop. :P
  • lojurivelojurive Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    We have been playing "We Didn't PlayTest This At All" since we got home on Sunday! I think its probably the FUNNIEST thing I've EVER played! And its easy enough that even my 6 year old can play. We also picked up "Win, Lose, Banana" which I plan to keep in my purse FOREVER and EVER. It'll be GREAT for standing in line ANYWHERE.
    I got to play Last Night on Earth, which was really fun. I had played Zombies!!! before and despised it, so I didn't have very high hopes, but I enjoyed it a lot.

I also got to play We Didn't Playtest This At All with a bunch of people in the lobby of the Sheraton on Sunday night, that's an extremely fun game that I plan on picking up ASAP. If you like Fluxx and haven't played it, I highly recommend it, in my opinion it's what Fluxx should have been.

I also discovered that Red November, which is a pretty decent game with 4 or 5 people, is a totally different and chaotically fun beast with 8 people.

lojurive on
  • ShervynShervyn Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Sorry Sinter, I hope you can find the pieces of your brains. While cool it was not an original, but a reproduction of the 1990 NWC cartridge. We put it out for people to play and it was one of our early experiments with our Leaderboards. It was not as successful as I hoped.

We learned the hard way that we had to go out onto the floor and actually SELL our challenges to the attendees.

Once we had the Smurf Rescue challenge on the Colecovision going we had it mostly figured out.

:P

Shervyn on
    A man who could afford $50 had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in 10 yrs' time, while a poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a $100 on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet. -Vimes
  • AngelKurisuAngelKurisu Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    lojurive wrote: »
    We have been playing "We Didn't PlayTest This At All" since we got home on Sunday! I think its probably the FUNNIEST thing I've EVER played! And its easy enough that even my 6 year old can play. We also picked up "Win, Lose, Banana" which I plan to keep in my purse FOREVER and EVER. It'll be GREAT for standing in line ANYWHERE.

Thanks for the high praise of Playtest + Banana :) I am glad you and your child enjoy them!

While most of what I discovered at PAX was new and awesome friends, I also re-discovered just how great of a game Dominion is. A group of us had a great time in the wee hours of Saturday night playing, and teaching to random onlookers.

-Chris Cieslik
    Asmadi Games
    http://asmadigames.com/

AngelKurisu on
  • ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Monday Night Combat, buy it or be the lame kid without the XBLA game of the year.

ZeroHourHero on
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Shervyn wrote: »

Sorry Sinter, I hope you can find the pieces of your brains. While cool it was not an original, but a reproduction of the 1990 NWC cartridge. We put it out for people to play and it was one of our early experiments with our Leaderboards. It was not as successful as I hoped.

We learned the hard way that we had to go out onto the floor and actually SELL our challenges to the attendees.

Once we had the Smurf Rescue challenge on the Colecovision going we had it mostly figured out.

:P

I competed in the actual event in 1990 in NYC, I was a semifinalist in my category, I won like a $100 gift certificate and a generous swelling of pride :D good times. I wasn't at PAX East sadly so I will now leave this thread the way I came in >_>

DiscoZombie on
  • ShervynShervyn Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I competed in the actual event in 1990 in NYC, I was a semifinalist in my category, I won like a $100 gift certificate and a generous swelling of pride :D good times. I wasn't at PAX East sadly so I will now leave this thread the way I came in >_>

Sorry you weren't there. We'll definitely have it again next year, and hopefully at Prime as well (although our games are donated by a different, and yet still very generous, gentleman).

Shervyn on
    A man who could afford $50 had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in 10 yrs' time, while a poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a $100 on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet. -Vimes
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Shervyn wrote: »

Sorry you weren't there. We'll definitely have it again next year, and hopefully at Prime as well (although our games are donated by a different, and yet still very generous, gentleman).

Yeah I definitely want to make it next year :D

DiscoZombie on
  • undeadundead Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I also agree with Zombie Dice. I'm actually an MIB myself but I was in 107 demoing Munchkin, Frag, and all the older SJ games.

However, I also have to point out the surprise that was in the TTHQ when I walked in on Sunday. That D&D tabletop game has a lot of potential, and not just with D&D.

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
  • SrolSrol Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I know its been around for ages, my local comic shop even has a night reserved for it, but this was my first time ever learning the rules and playing Munchkin. Actually, I was learning it from scratch along with two other newbs, so I may not have learned it properly, but I liked what I saw.

Srol on
  • ClockClock Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I got into the zombie dice and cthulu thing an hour before closing ceremonies. Thanks for showing me and my friend! I totally lost at zombie dice though. I was also the first to go insane in Cthulu.

I plan to get both of them!

I couldn't comprehend win, lose, banana. I tried, the girl with the big flashcards tried to explain it to me and I was dumbfounded...

Clock on
  • pobblebonkpobblebonk Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Played "We didn't playtest this at all" in line for Saturday's concert. Came back and bought it the next day, then played it with more friends at home. It's such a fast game it can be a bit ridiculous, definitely a lot of fun.

pobblebonk on
  • BPUnitBPUnit Registered User new member
    edited April 2010
    Srol wrote: »
    I know its been around for ages, my local comic shop even has a night reserved for it, but this was my first time ever learning the rules and playing Munchkin. Actually, I was learning it from scratch along with two other newbs, so I may not have learned it properly, but I liked what I saw.
    As one of said other newbs, I second finally getting a chance to learn Munchkin. Also picked up Thunderstone which is sweet, and found some awesome new bands to listen to.

WTB more PAX

BPUnit on
  • l33tloserl33tloser Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    And as third said newb I also have to agree, munchkin rocks. I was a little sad that our time got cut short but it was definitely awesome.

I also picked up fluxx on my way out, after playing it a few times I now understand why I continually saw people playing it in lines.

Oh, I'm starting to develop a little bit of a taste for original artwork and sketches, picked up a few originals from Kingdom of Kalamar and plan on getting them framed to hang in a video game/board game room I hope to once have!

Oh, and, although I'm embarrassed to say, Saturday was my first night actually listening to JoCo and I was very impressed, he's definitely getting added to my list of car music!

l33tloser on
  • LordDaxLordDax Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Discovered: Monday Night Combat, Shoot1up, Grapple Buggy, Resonance of Fates, WinLoseBanana
    Bought: WinLoseBanana
    Awaiting: Grapple Buggy!! Bionic Command+BlasterMaster ftw!
    Should Have seen: Zombie Dice

LordDax on
    PSN/xFire-LordDax
    WoW - US Quel'Dorie - Daxius DwPr(Disc/Shadow) 80
    Give Back to those who serve us Become a Black Pie Day Pieoneer!
  • daninspiredmediadaninspiredmedia Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    https://axon.dolby.com/

This was quite a surprise. Its a gaming chat client that has 3d directional sound. When you create rooms you have a grid where you can move your avatar around into groups and and you can point your avatar in a direction towards other avatars so the sounds you hear in chat are localized.

this is an amazing tool for squad based combat games and MMO's that require raids to have certain channels and what not.

daninspiredmedia on
  • GausGaus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Monday Night Combat, buy it or be the lame kid without the XBLA game of the year.

I also was thinking this. Was definitely my game of the weekend. ( besides SSF4 and Steel Battalion of course :P )

Gaus on
    Professional assassination. It's the highest form of public service. - Chiun
  • capnjackcapnjack Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    My buddy saw a game that I forget the name of. It was a clown that you grab and throw around to collect balloons or rings or something, and you have to keep throwing him skywards until you finally get him through the ring of fire.

What is the name of this game? Thanks in advance.

capnjack on
    Q: "You are in the garden. You see a rose bush. You have a fishing rod. Exits are North, South and IN."
    A: "What do you want from me?!?!?"
  • DeefuzzDeefuzz Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Glad to see so many people discovering We Didn't Playtest This At All. I was introduced to that from some of my pals who brought it home from GenCon, so I was happy to discover it being sold at PAX East (I bought everything I could related to that game, and Asmadi Games other card game about throwing stuff at a Catgirl).

For me, my amazing discoveries were:

1) Puzzle Quest - Yes I am ashamed to admit I had never played it before PAX East. I was hooked on it all weekend. If you saw me in line with my DS I was most likely playing Puzzle Quest.

2) Zombie Dice - It's awesome to see how many others dug this game too. It was a lot of fun and real simple to play. It was a shame that there were none for sale, but I have my tickets to GenCon purchased, so that is one game that will definitely be going home with me from there.

3) Steel Battalion - I have never been able to play this before, so after getting to play this during freeplay I now want to find the controller and game so I can play at home. It was a little complex, but after the limited time I had with it I thirst for more.

4) Music - I will just lump it all into one category. This was my first exposure to Anamanaguchi, Protomen, and Metroid Metal. I also was able to pop into JamSpace, and picked up the Alex Mauer CD from 2 Player Productions. I had never heard the term "chiptunes" before this weekend, so now my musical world has expanded somewhat and I am very thankful for it. I love all sorts of music, so now that I can add some geek/retro flavored music into my rotation, I am beyond pleased.

I think that covers most of it. Such a whirlwind of a weekend that I am still trying to collect all my thoughts.

Deefuzz on
    [ Web: Twitter | Blog ]
    [ XBL: NemesisFuzz | PSN: Deefuzz ]
  • AJ MckayAJ Mckay Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I discovered The Protomen...and they rocked my socks.

I've been rotating my iPod between their CDs and Anamanaguchi's ever since I got home Sunday. I've had Anamanaguchi's "Dawn Metropolis" and "Power Supply" for a while, but hadn't listened to them much. After Friday, we've decided they'll be the house music while everyone arrives for our wedding.

AJ Mckay on
    If you need me, I'll be in Stellar Cartography.

->|SHIIIIIRRRRRT|<-
  • PuddingSenatorPuddingSenator Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    AJ Mckay wrote: »

I've been rotating my iPod between their CDs and Anamanaguchi's ever since I got home Sunday. I've had Anamanaguchi's "Dawn Metropolis" and "Power Supply" for a while, but hadn't listened to them much. After Friday, we've decided they'll be the house music while everyone arrives for our wedding.

Second the Protomen. I knew absolutely nothing about them before seeing them live on Friday, and I thought they were awesome.

VGO was great as well. I kind of expected them to just be a low-rent version of Video Games Live (which I've seen twice), but they had their own unique flavor that I really enjoyed, and I like that it's actually fans of video games playing the music, rather than pro musicians who were hired to be there.. I can't wait til their album is released so I can pick it up.

PuddingSenator on
  • DireKittyDireKitty Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I love "We didn't playtest this at all" and its expansion! Great times!

Also got into Magic: The Gathering

DireKitty on
  • scrattatatscrattatat BostonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I discovered that awesome wiiware runner game.

That awesomely painfully addicting runner game.

scrattatat on
    a4VADIl.png eDL5zgd.png
    edited April 2010
    DireKitty wrote: »
    I love "We didn't playtest this at all" and its expansion! Great times!

Also got into Magic: The Gathering

Did you buy "Dice are Fun"? That was the expansion we bought. To be honest we don't use the deck very often . . . We don't usually get enough cards in our hands to even trade for a Dice are Fun card! But they are hilarious! And Dice ARE fun!

lojurive on
  • OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    AJ Mckay wrote: »

Second the Protomen. I knew absolutely nothing about them before seeing them live on Friday, and I thought they were awesome.

VGO was great as well. I kind of expected them to just be a low-rent version of Video Games Live (which I've seen twice), but they had their own unique flavor that I really enjoyed, and I like that it's actually fans of video games playing the music, rather than pro musicians who were hired to be there.. I can't wait til their album is released so I can pick it up.

I third this. Knew nothing of Protomen before this and now I have a new band to count amongst my favorites. I also discovered the Arkham Horror, which I must own NOW.

Onmitsu on
    Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
  • SoyduckSoyduck Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Fourth person here to discover Munchkin! I didn't get a chance to play it, but I hit up my friends here at home that I thought might be into it; turns out they've played it before and are more than happy to introduce me into the fold. This is my first foray into any kind of card or table top gaming. I'm still not sure at all how it works, but I've always been too nervous to ask anyone for fear of embarrassing myself. Now I want to learn how to play so I can socialize more at PAX East '11!

Soyduck on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2010
    I relearned Munchkin, which is the perfect game for my horrible gaming group. It'll be a nice chance of pace from our bitching about RISK and Monopoly. We're sick people. The best thing about this was learning to play with two dudes we just met. In fact those two dudes had JUST met each other. And yet the game was a blast. PAX is simply magical like that.

My roommate got Mag-blast which is interesting.

Zombie Dice was something I never got a chance to play. Demo was slammed, really.

Played Win, Lose, Banana and found it to be stupid. Decent for being in a line, I guess? It was PAX, I had my DS! Maybe there's something here I'm missing.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited April 2010
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

Played Win, Lose, Banana and found it to be stupid. Decent for being in a line, I guess? It was PAX, I had my DS! Maybe there's something here I'm missing.

Anyone who is close to me knows that I am really a 7 year old masquerading as a 31 year old woman . . . so THAT may be the reason that I <3 Win Lose BANANA! It is just a silly simple game. The card ART attracted my family first. My husband said "Hey Baby, LOOK! Win Lose Banana". When the Booth guy used the GIANT cards to play with my Daughter and I and she WON, we were sold. For $1, it's a STEAL for the amount of enjoyment we've had with it. And yes, its PERFECT for waiting around with a couple of under 10 year olds. :) Keeps up busy for quite a while.

lojurive on
This discussion has been closed.