As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Looking for an awesome multiplayer co-op game

KlundtasaurKlundtasaur Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Games and Technology
So, there's a group of 4 of us that love to game co-op multiplayer. We were just let down by Borderlands, and we've played L4D to death. We all have pretty decent rigs (the worst card any of us has is a 4850) but we're looking for a new multiplayer co-op experience. Ideally:
  • The 4 of us vs. the computer
  • story line is preferred but not required
  • nothing as realistically complicated as Arma2

Suggestions would be welcomed. We've enjoyed Diablo 2 type games in the past, but ideally something less...i don't know, less fantasy based? I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for, to be honest--i haven't been following games very closely in the last few years.

So, yeah, thoughts?

Klundtasaur on

• gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    • Killing floor is great, though its more zombies
    • Dawn of War II campaign is good if you're in to that, if you're doing a 4 player co-op you should try a harder mode
    • The co-op mods for half-life 1/2 are fun, I used to play them all the time

Can't think of too many more co-op games for PC, but this might help

gunwarrior on
  • KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Saints Row 2 so much.

Its only 2 player co-op (which works to even you guys in pairs), but it is amazing. There is a larger multiplayer mode, but I'm not sure how it works.

The co-op mode is drop in/out as you want, LAN or online (although the game requires Steam on PC), which enables you absurd amounts of freedom to do anything you've ever imagined in a sandbox game. If you wanna do missions or any assorted activities, both players reap the rewards and get the stats counted for them.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • nessinnessin Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So, there's a group of 4 of us that love to game co-op multiplayer. We were just let down by Borderlands, and we've played L4D to death. We all have pretty decent rigs (the worst card any of us has is a 4850) but we're looking for a new multiplayer co-op experience. Ideally:
    • The 4 of us vs. the computer
    • story line is preferred but not required
    • nothing as realistically complicated as Arma2

Suggestions would be welcomed. We've enjoyed Diablo 2 type games in the past, but ideally something less...i don't know, less fantasy based? I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for, to be honest--i haven't been following games very closely in the last few years.

So, yeah, thoughts?

AI War, if you're up for a strategy style game, rocks the socks off almost any co-op game.

Could grab one of the older GTAs with a multiplayer mod (I believe Vice City and San Andreas have one). I don't believe they come with any story, and its a free-for-all system rather than co-op (so you can accidentally blow your partner up).

Neverwinter Nights/Neverwinter Nights 2 have amazing co-op options, with plenty of storylines and a Diablo 2 style engine, but is a Fantasy setting and has a fairly steep learning curve depending on what/how you play. Most of that goes for Dungeon Siege as well, although less options overall but even more like Diablo 2.

I could be wrong, but I thought at least one of the UFO games had a co-op mode of some sort. Can't remember for sure. Been a long time since I played it (too long to give an accurate assessment), but you could scope out Laser Squad Nemesis. I don't think it had a story though, and instead of co-op its team based, but I think you can play the AI instead of another set of players.

Edit:
    Oh yeah, if you don't mind aging (or far too aged for their time) games, then Serious Sam has a co-op mode, although I know nothing about it. Likewise with Vampire: The Masquerade, Baldur's Gate 2, and SWAT 4.

nessin on
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    gunwarrior wrote: »
    • Killing floor is great
    Opinions opinions lol but seriously, KF is a piece of shit. Test it out before you buy.

Panda4You on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    What was it about Borderlands that "let you down"?

And I think KF is a great game in short bursts, to me. Once you do a few rounds and levels there's not much else going for it.

urahonky on
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Perfect Dark?

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Serious Sam has 16-player co-op.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • bobmyknobbobmyknob 3DS Friend Code 4553-9974-2186 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    GTA4 has a few co-op modes that are pretty fun.

bobmyknob on
    steam_sig.png
  • redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Bad Company 2 is pretty much set up for four people to play together.

redraptor on
  • Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sacred 2 is a pretty solid Diablo clone. Might not be exactly what you're looking for right now, but it's worth considering.

Wet Bandit on
  • VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    redraptor wrote: »
    Bad Company 2 is pretty much set up for four people to play together.

Yea, but they aren't BroDawg enough to play against other humans as he stated. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I have a friend who won't play any game unless its co-op pretty much.

Velmeran on
    Vechloran.png
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    System Shock 2 gets my vote. It has an awesome story and will make you cry yourself to sleep in fear. Enjoy.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    System Shock 2 gets my vote. It has an awesome story and will make you cry yourself to sleep in fear. Enjoy.

The problems are that it looks dated (though there is a patch for that) and it's a pain to get it to run on modern rigs as well as playing online.

Besides, you're better off playing it solo anyway so you can digest the game at your own pace and you don't have someone hurrying you along to the next checkpoint/area when you're trying to listen to the audio log.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    saint's row 2 is the best. you'll have dangerous amounts of fun.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I was about to say Halo 3, but then I remembered that they never got around to porting that one to PC. (Odd that, you'd think that the money lost from piracy would be offset by the PC sales at this point.)

Darlan on
  • SkexisSkexis Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The Rainbow Six: Vegas games are both pretty awesome and after you've played through the campaign co-op (two players) you can keep coming back for Terrorist Hunt (all four of you vs. AI). They can both be found dirt cheap these days, too.

Um, not sure if you're trying to stick to action/shooter games or not, but Guild Wars would also work. The four of you just form a party, and since the world is instanced, you don't have to worry about other people ruining your fun. It's also cheap and free to play, which is a plus.

Lost Planet 2 looks to fill this niche pretty well, but it doesn't come out until May.

Colonial Marines (not Aliens vs. Predator) looks to be built as a co-op experience, but it's been in release date limbo for some time. Hopefully it's still on track and won't be a victim of budget cuts.

Skexis on
  • ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If your crew is willing to play board games, Pandemic is good co-op fun.

Serious Sam 1 and 2 are still great -- my friend and I still play it co-op today, dated graphics be damned. And didn't they just release an anniversary edition with updated graphics?

New Super Mario Bros Wii is hilarious.

Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures will ruin friendships.

The Tales RPG series tends to be decent co-op if you like story. One of you controls the main character, while everyone else controls one of the party members while in battle.

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I just picked up AI Wars and the Expansion today on Steam. It's got a lot of good stuff going for it from what little I've seen of the game. Big huge RTS + Tower Defense + 4X.

It's built with co-op in mind, no adversarial modes at all, and it looks like it could get downright nuts in multiplayer.

So yeah, AI Wars if you guys like to get your strategery on.

Drake on
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Baldur's Gate 2
    Nevewinter Nights + addons
    Neverwinter Nights 2 + addons

I'm only half joking :P

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2010
    Panda4You wrote: »
    gunwarrior wrote: »
    • Killing floor is great
    Opinions opinions lol but seriously, KF is a piece of shit. Test it out before you buy.

Opinions lol, do not listen to this guy.

Echo on
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Perfect Dark?

Yeah, I'm a fan of the co-op multiplayer challenges in perfect dark. And at only 10 bucks, the price is right!

NickTheNewbie on
  • KlundtasaurKlundtasaur Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Holy crap, guys--thanks for the suggestions. And gunwarrior, thanks for the link to cooptimus. that is enormously helpful. Now i've got some options to go to the group with. Thanks!

urahonky: Borderlands let us down with the story line, not the game play. We had expected the ending to be worth something--not some "to be continued" BS.

Klundtasaur on
    edited April 2010
    Bah, that's standard procedure for gaming nowadays. But I swear if you and your friends bought Knoxx you'd have a blast. You guys could be fighting Crawmerax at a consistent rate!

But I understand the hate for the ending. Though I honestly didn't play the game for the story. :p

urahonky on
  • LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    urahonky wrote: »
    Bah, that's standard procedure for gaming nowadays. But I swear if you and your friends bought Knoxx you'd have a blast. You guys could be fighting Crawmerax at a consistent rate!

But I understand the hate for the ending. Though I honestly didn't play the game for the story. :p

If you pay even more than retail, you can get a satisfactory game.

/equip flame-suit

What about WoW? You can co-op everything in that game.

Lilnoobs on
    edited April 2010
    Knoxx does nothing to the story, but it add a lot of content to the game that's extremely worthwhile. If you think that vanilla BL doesn't give you $50 worth of entertainment then you're a bad person and should feel bad.

Also, you say that and then recommend WoW? You're a terrible person.

urahonky on
  • LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm immune to your fiery words because I have already equipped my flame-suit.

So nyah.

Lilnoobs on
    edited April 2010
    I actually wrote a lengthy post about how I had more skill points into "reduces flame resistance on attack", but then I realized that I was going to bring this further off topic. :P

urahonky on
  • Golden LegGolden Leg Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Throwin' in some suggestions.

The Serious Sam series is a blast, both literally and figuratively. It's a FPS which pits players against swarms of hilarious and grotesque enemies in large and imaginative environs. Practically built from the ground up for coop play.

Dungeon Siege II is a fantasy action RPG, but hones the experience down to a lot of ass-kickery and less inventory management.

Saints Row 2 is extremely fun in co-op mode, though two people can only play in that mode at a time. Imagine GTA IV, but with less brown and seriousness and more fun and debauchery, and with co-op.

SWAT 4 is another really great co-op game. It's a first-person tactical shooter.

Golden Leg on
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Rainbow Six Vegas 2 is pretty damn fun for co-op

Dixon on
  • Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This thread reminds me that I've wanted to try one of the Doom 3 co-op mods but never got the chance. To be honest I don't see myself playing the game otherwise.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • chiablochiablo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Borderlands is good for co-operative.

or classic Contra!

chiablo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ghost Recon + expacs.

Not the newfangled Advanced Warfighter business, old-school GR. It was basically Rainbow Six: Let's Go Outside. With the expansion packs it's a ton of shootin' fun.

zilo on
  • gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    This thread reminds me that I've wanted to try one of the Doom 3 co-op mods but never got the chance. To be honest I don't see myself playing the game otherwise.

Still don't get why they didn't put co-op in the PC version when it's in the Xbox version.

gunwarrior on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I may be late but I recently bought Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory on the 360's marketplace and it's one hell of a time. It also has split-screen (and system link and internet (though soon it won't be playable online anymore, along with all the other oXbox games)) co-op and while I haven't tried it yet some friends of mine tell me it's a fucking blast. I believe there is also a PC version of the game that should also scratch the itch, if you don't have an Xbox or a 360.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png