As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East 2011 Get-In-Shapeathon

LimondLimond Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in PAX Archive
I have seen a few people mention that they are larger side and PAX would have been a more enjoyable experience for them had they shed a few pounds, myself included. So that is where this little motivation competition comes in.

The Rules
1) Official Start date: 04/09/2010. AKA Friday, April 9th 2010.
2) Official End date: TBA but the day PAX East Tickets go on sale. (Approximately 6-7 months)
3) To be eligible to win must be registered on or prior to start date.
4) To be eligible to win must have final weight in no longer than one week after PAX East tickets go on sale.
5) The winner will be determined by the highest percentage of weight lost.

How to Register
1)To register you must submit as picture with yourself on a scale displaying your current weight.
2) Please wear undergarments just so nothing peaks in.
3) Submit as a spoiler to keep thread size down.
4) Include some information about yourself if you wish, Name, Local, Age, Weight Loss goal etc.

Final Weight
1) A picture of yourself on a scale displaying your current weight

The Prize
1) The grand prize will be a ticket to PAX East 2011 in Boston, MA
2) If others wish to offer up other prizes as well please contact me since.

If you have any comments/concerns please get in contact with me.

Also if you have any tips to share regarding the losing of weight don't hesitate to share that advice.

This is meant for fun and to hopefully make people healthier, no internet fights allowed. Silly Geese and others like them will be disqualified to win.

None of us are medical professionals, contact your doctor before trying any new diets, or exercises.

One clip, one kill.

I am a monster truck that walks like a man.
Limond on

• Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm 300% down! Only a few days after the con ended and I'm back counting Weight Watchers points (always been the easiest tracking method for me) and I got back to the gym this morning after a month and a half break.

My goal for PAX East is to be down at LEAST a shirt size (from 3x to 2x), and my current food goals are to stay within my points and to not eat ANYTHING fried before dinner. I'm also trying to get back into the gym rythm and will be going at least 3 days a week for the first few weeks or so, and then up to four and so on.

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    LordDaxLordDax Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm in. I actually made the decision at PAX when they didnt have any XL Dark Mantles, I grabbed the Large and decided it'll fit even better come next PAX. EA Active is a great help for your Wii if you have one. Great to use along side free weights at home!

I'm currently 245 looking to get down to 195-185 in 6-8 months.

LordDax on
    PSN/xFire-LordDax
    WoW - US Quel'Dorie - Daxius DwPr(Disc/Shadow) 80
    Give Back to those who serve us Become a Black Pie Day Pieoneer!
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Here are some community threads that you guys may find useful:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=113642

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=112958

And there's usually one in D&D but I can't find it right now. The SE one is more about bulking up than thinning down but the H&A one is pretty decent for losing weight.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    badjujumanbadjujuman They call me Kotty Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm telling you guys, P90X will kick the shit out of you and get you in shape. I myself need to get back on it, but my roommate is doing things he could never do when he started it. I'm in on this competition.

badjujuman on
    "You wanna go Matrix?" - Kris Straub
    "Yeah, I wanna go Matrix." - Scott Kurtz
    (Scott Kurtz panel - PAX East 2010)
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    P90X is disgustingly hardcore and useful, its like having your own drill instructor. P90X can get you the ability to do Burpee sets...I think I'll give it a shot after completing my 30 day ramp up back into routine.

LordDax on
    PSN/xFire-LordDax
  • Options
    openflyopenfly Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I am in. I'm not exactly husky, but everyone could do to be in shape a bit.

openfly on
  • Options
    astillacastillac Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Is this open to girls? I was already doing this on my own, but I like groups.

astillac on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Its open to all! Even pets if you bring them along on your runs!

LordDax on
    PSN/xFire-LordDax
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    astillac wrote: »

Of course! Just like PAX accepts everyone so should this thread.

Besides, having ladies around always makes men work harder. :lol:

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yes this will be open to all. when i get a bit more time on my hands (i.e not ony my phone typing this) i will post the "rules" if you all want to make this a competition with some prizes and everything. i know i need all the motivation i can muster.

Limond on
    One clip, one kill.

• Options
    capnjackcapnjack Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've been in a weight loss competition for 2 months now, and have dropped almost 15 lbs. Went from a 3X shirt to 2X. I don't know if I'd want to join another competition since I'm already losing the weight and won't be able to lose as much as other people, but I definitely support this idea.

capnjack on
    Q: "You are in the garden. You see a rose bush. You have a fishing rod. Exits are North, South and IN."
    A: "What do you want from me?!?!?"
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'd say for any rules, make it a percentage lost towards goal instead of straight up pounds, it makes prize awarding a lot more feasible.

LordDax on
    PSN/xFire-LordDax
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Chorazin wrote: »
    astillac wrote: »

Of course! Just like PAX accepts everyone so should this thread.

Besides, having ladies around always makes men work harder. :lol:

What about Pokemonz????

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    capnjackcapnjack Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    What about Pokemonz????

Show us them.

capnjack on
    Q: "You are in the garden. You see a rose bush. You have a fishing rod. Exits are North, South and IN."
    A: "What do you want from me?!?!?"
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'd insert a pic of geodude lifting weights if I could find it.

LordDax on
    PSN/xFire-LordDax
  • Options
    itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've been talking about losing weight and have lost some since my wife started Weight Watchers, and I could only get a 2XL PAX East 2010 shirt (normally a 3XL kind of guy), so I'm in. Maybe I'll fire up EA Active this weekend while wife is at work and see how that goes...hmmmmmmmmm

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • Options
    ransimransim Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'd be down for this, especially if there is anyone else in the Fairfax, VA area for exercising.

Seeing myself in a HD video from one of the panels was more then cringe worthy and I've been putting this off way to long. I did actually recently drop meat in favor of a pescetarian diet. But I'd love to try this, especially if I could find some exercise buddies (always helps motivate me).

ransim on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    itzerokewl wrote: »
    I've been talking about losing weight and have lost some since my wife started Weight Watchers, and I could only get a 2XL PAX East 2010 shirt (normally a 3XL kind of guy), so I'm in. Maybe I'll fire up EA Active this weekend while wife is at work and see how that goes...hmmmmmmmmm

Do Weight Watchers with her! I haven't hardcore done it for a while but the eaitng habits I learned have kept me from getting too massive. :lol: I'm back counting my points now, so far so good!

Counting Points is super easy, especially if you have an iPhone or iPod touch and get one of the many Apps to calculate and track them.

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    itzerokewl wrote: »

Do Weight Watchers with her! I haven't hardcore done it for a while but the eaitng habits I learned have kept me from getting too massive. :lol:

Counting Points is super easy, especially if you have an iPhone or iPod touch and get one of the many Apps to calculate and track them.

Yeah, the thought has crossed my mind...still not totally out of the realm of possibility.

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • Options
    BaconSandwichBaconSandwich Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I am totally down. After Omegathon I snagged a bunch of PA shirts, all size large. Turns out their large shirts are a bit... snug. So I'm putting them in a closet, and the next time I wear them will be next year, when my lean and trim self will make them look even sexier than the t-shirt graphics inherently make them.

BaconSandwich on
    PAX East 2010/2011/2012 Omeganaut!
  • Options
    pattonragepattonrage Registered User new member
    edited April 2010
    Just wanted to pop in here and share some of my experience regarding P90X, because I'm sure it's going to get a ton of mentions in this thread.

I'm 6'7" and I weigh about 195 lbs (I actually need to gain some muscle weight at this point.) I've been playing Volleyball 2-4 times a week for the past 4 years, competitively. I completed a single round of P90 to prepare for P90X, and I will be starting my second round of P90X on Monday (I completed my first round just in time for PAX East.) What I'm trying to say is that I'm in pretty good shape. Not for bragging purposes. I'm just trying to give you you guys some base information about myself, so you know where I'm coming from.

P90X is hard. Really hard. That's why it works. You get in shape because you eat right and you kick your own ass 6 days a week for 3 months. I say this because if you're not someone who is accustomed to working out, P90X may not be a great starting point. You could get burned out easily and stop altogether. You don't want that. You want to get into the groove and stick to it and get into shape. I would HIGHLY recommend doing a round of P90 to prepare for it. It isn't easy, but it isn't going to make you puke on your second day of it, either.

If you really just want to jump into P90X, at the very least, take the P90X fitness test. It a basic assessment of what you're currently capable of, to see if you're able to get through P90X. This is a direct link to the test:

http://www.beachbody.com/text/products/programs/p90x/p90xFitTest.pdf

It's pretty basic and the minimum requirements aren't crazy, but if you don't meet them, don't hurt yourself by jumping directly into P90X. For example, men should be able to do 3 pull-ups and 15 push-ups.

Everyone's body and mentality is different, so you could be the guy or girl that hasn't worked out in 6 years that jumps right into P90X and is super successful with it. I just wanted to make some recommendations and point you all in the right direction. Good luck with your goals, and if anyone has any questions about the program, feel free to PM me. :)

pattonrage on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Great P90/X info bro. And its all true. It will kick your ass. I'm coupling the 100 Pushups program with EA Active's 30 day challenge, ramping into p90 then into p90X.

LordDax on
    PSN/xFire-LordDax
  • Options
    thespianthespian Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    My goal for PAX East is to be down at LEAST a shirt size (from 3x to 2x), and my current food goals are to stay within my points and to not eat ANYTHING fried before dinner.

You actually want to rethink that; the dinner meal is usually taken before you get sedentary for the evening. I found that even just shifting so that my fattier, more fried meals went to mid-day before I was active a few more hours added 3lbs weight loss in a month. So if you're having fried foods (as they are tasty), shift them to lunch meals, and even doing nothing else, that adds a bit.

Thes.

thespian on
  • Options
    MetlMetl Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I am a huge proponent of kettlebells. I'm one of those skinny bastards (please don't hurt me) who can't put on any weight. I'm sure kettlebells are great for shedding weight too! So far I've stuck with my 35lbs kettlebell and I've gotten some decent results!

Look up Pavel Tsatsouline's book if you're interested in a starting out plan, he's written a book on the topic and it's a great read.

Metl on
  • Options
    FacelesscogFacelesscog Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'll hop on board this train. I've been needing to lose a few pounds, and this seems like excellent motivation. My wife's already been on a weight losing roll, so the least I can do is follow suit.

Facelesscog on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    thespian wrote: »
    My goal for PAX East is to be down at LEAST a shirt size (from 3x to 2x), and my current food goals are to stay within my points and to not eat ANYTHING fried before dinner.

You actually want to rethink that; the dinner meal is usually taken before you get sedentary for the evening. I found that even just shifting so that my fattier, more fried meals went to mid-day before I was active a few more hours added 3lbs weight loss in a month. So if you're having fried foods (as they are tasty), shift them to lunch meals, and even doing nothing else, that adds a bit.

Thes.

To really rethink it, don't eat anything fried, period. They might taste good but it's not worth it and most of what you eat fried can be eaten baked or in another much healthier way.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    Oldmangloom315Oldmangloom315 [ENFORCER] Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm on board as well.

Some tips from when I was losing weight before I lost all motivation in life:

-eat 3 meals, snack healthily in between. All in all, eat about 6-8 times a day. Eat smart of course but this will help speed up your metabolism and your body will digest food rather than store it

-take a multi vitamin. You don't need any other supplements but it will help your body recover from workouts.

-hydrate.

-cut sugars as much as possible

other than that, eat smart, and get good exorcise in. I found for me 2-3 days with an hour of cardio and some misc weight lifting helped immensely.

Oldmangloom315 on
  • Options
    macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm in as well. My wife and I have had the most success with Weight Watchers. They have a pretty good ipod/iphone app now...and I'm pretty lazy about tracking what I eat on paper.
    When I use the app, I at least start thinking about what I'm eating before I stick food in my pie hole.

The first time I did it, I dropped 25lbs. I'm trying to get back there.

I did manage to drop 4lbs on the week of PAX...probably from all the extra walking and less soda.

macrogeek on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Thes.

To really rethink it, don't eat anything fried, period. They might taste good but it's not worth it and most of what you eat fried can be eaten baked or in another much healthier way.

Well....my GF isn't as in touch with weight loss as I am, so unless we're making entirely separate meals, it's not going to work. And I'm making realistic goals, and cutting out all fatty foods just isn't realistic right now. I'd rather do it gradually.

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2010
    I'm Fatty McBaconLover and yet PAX wasn't all that physically demanding. Might have to do with spending 25% of each day sitting in a line.

But dying of a heart attack could interfere with my plans for 2011. I should probably join in on this.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    shugaraeshugarae Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    count me in :D I've also been losing weight on my own for awhile now.

I tried weight watchers last year, but didn't have much luck. I've been getting really really good results from low-carbing it and working down this list here. I'm never hungry like I was on weight watchers, and I eat all of my favorite foods all the time (but I've always been more of a carnivore).

A contest sounds like fun, as well as a good motivator! Plus it'll be interesting to see other people's results and the methods that they used -- maybe pick up some tips and tricks along the way! :D

shugarae on
    Omeganaut class of '08. Fuck Peggle. Omeganaut class of '17 West. Fuck Rainbow Road.
    The Best in Terms of Pants on JCCC3
  • Options
    lojurivelojurive Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'd like to jump in on this weight loss challenge! I lost 45 pounds before PAX East, and I'd like to lose 45 more before PAX Prime 2011 (Can't go this year, I'll be running the Disneyland half marathon the same weekend).

lojurive on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Alright seems a decent number of people are interested. So Some time later on the 2nd I will make an offical sign up post. Will give a few days for everyone to sign up so perhaps the official start will be next Wednesday and the Official end will be on the day PAX EAST 2011 tickets go on sale (So around 6 months). Whom ever loses the most weight, based on percentage, will be deemed the winner. The grand prize will be One Ticket to PAX EAST 2011. Your start weight will be based on a Photo of a digital scale, please wear undergarments, don't want anything sneaking into your picture. End weight will be via same method.

PM me if you have any other suggestions, or complaints this isn't the main thing just a few ideas. First time doing anything like this so all comments/help is appreciated.

Limond on
    One clip, one kill.

• Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm going to try to put on a few more pounds this year. I hate the thought of having to re-tailor all of my suits if I add too much though.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Hit the gym again today! I always forget how good I feel when I eat better and work out. Checked my weight today too, I'm at 303, which is actually less than I thought I was packing, so excellent.

I'll weigh in again every Friday, so I guess we'll see how it goes. :)

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Because when I'm not working I like to design games for just about everything and I'm a huge RPG nut, I think I might devise a way to overlay a game onto the competion. Hmmm...perhaps a Shapie that gains experience based on your weight loss, which you can then use to buy skills and challenge other Shapies...hmmmmmmmm

LordDax on
    PSN/xFire-LordDax
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Thes.

Well....my GF isn't as in touch with weight loss as I am, so unless we're making entirely separate meals, it's not going to work. And I'm making realistic goals, and cutting out all fatty foods just isn't realistic right now. I'd rather do it gradually.

There is no reason to eat fried food and if you're really serious about losing the weight you need to recognize that shit like fried chicken, french fries and soda have to go, stat. It's completely realistic to stop eating that crap and starting eating right. Is it hard? Hell yea but it's worth it when you realize that replacing fries with steamed veggies and fried chicken with baked chicken (and a proper portion of it) has led you to see some real results. Planning and executing healthier meals is something you can literally do over night.

If you can trust yourself to have one night a week where you have a bad meal without slipping back into eating like crap all the time, then go for it, but otherwise you're just making excuses for eating poorly. My boyfriend isn't trying to lose weight like I am but he's eating better now because he knows I need to and he wants me to reach my goals more than he wants a cheeseburger.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Thes.

There is no reason to eat fried food and if you're really serious about losing the weight you need to recognize that shit like fried chicken, french fries and soda have to go, stat. It's completely realistic to stop eating that crap and starting eating right. Is it hard? Hell yea but it's worth it when you realize that replacing fries with steamed veggies and fried chicken with baked chicken (and a proper portion of it) has led you to see some real results. Planning and executing healthier meals is something you can literally do over night.

If you can trust yourself to have one night a week where you have a bad meal without slipping back into eating like crap all the time, then go for it, but otherwise you're just making excuses for eating poorly. My boyfriend isn't trying to lose weight like I am but he's eating better now because he knows I need to and he wants me to reach my goals more than he wants a cheeseburger.

Jeeze....a little agressive, but I get ya. I AM making smarter choices for EVERY meal, so it's not like I get home and eat a bucket of extra crispy KFC or anything and say OMG I'M DIETING. I'm just saying that IF I'm going to eat something fried it's going to only be once and at dinner, and needs to be within my WW Point range, which certainly isn't going to be a huge portion if I do it.

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'm aggressive because I hate seeing people make excuses about why eating healthier is hard and something that you can't do quickly. Because your body will love you for doing it, it's your brain that you need to tell to stfu while you're eating a salad and pretending it's pizza. And once you jump all in you adjust pretty quickly. I'm 9 weeks in and with PAX last week I thought I had a crappy week. But after 7/8 weeks of completely redoing my diet I was making better choices without thinking about it, I didn't have to fight myself to pick the healthier options. If you ease into it slowly you're going to be fighter yourself longer.

You don't want fried foods at dinner because as Thes said, dinner should be the smallest meal of your day. You're not doing much after except sleeping and that's no good. Breakfast should be the biggest then lunch then dinner and none should be huge because you're better off with smaller meals with snacks in between to keep your metabolism going all day. And I stick with if you love fried chicken, try breading it and baking it instead. You like fries? Buy whole potatoes and slice them and bake them with a little olive oil and some seasoning.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    Shrieking EmuShrieking Emu Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Looking forward to my first PAX next year, and doing Origins and Gen Con "husky" is no fun. Count me in.

Shrieking Emu on
    steam_sig.png