As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat]imir Ilyich Lenin

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I plan to shave tomorrow

on the other hand there's that swastika carved on my forehead

Elendil on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited April 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »
    And jkosh when are we going to kick it?

Elki mentioned that he might be heading to KC for some dance thing in a couple of months.

I am seriously up for whenever, as long as I have a week or two's notice so I can rustle up some money. Elki's thing is in June so definitely then, but I'd totally be up for something before that, especially if it involved bbq :P

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Passerbye wrote: »
    It's days like this when I wonder why I don't just have J on perma-ban.

I bet you thought an argument could not be made by which Belgium's law is not anti-muslim. I bet you thought the only option was "they are anti-muslim".

Showed you!

_J_ on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Lethem subverts expectations like a motherfucker

the last half of motherless brooklyn really fell apart

and kind of so did fortress of solitude

I felt that way about Gun, With Occasional Music too

he's not an ender

maybe he and steven king went to the same workshops

and then left early i guess?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Basically actors who look like
    Senj, who I look like... DRUNK EDITION

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Snb6gkv2Beo

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    _J_ wrote: »

I bet you thought an argument could not be made by which Belgium's law is not anti-muslim. I bet you thought the only option was "they are anti-muslim".

Showed you!

There's always a counterpoint to a view. That doesn't mean the counterpoint is always correct.

Could it be about the slits? Sure, in thought experiment lala land. Is it in reality? Of course not!

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    hmm

I could put swiss cheese and pepperoni on crackers and eat that.

YES!

_J_ on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Showed you!

Just because something is theoretically an argument doesn't mean it is an actual argument. I could argue that separation of the races is good because it ensures that white kids won't fear inferior because they have to put on more sunblock lotion, but that doesn't mean it makes any goddamn sense except in the abstract.

Couscous on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    jacobkosh wrote: »

Elki mentioned that he might be heading to KC for some dance thing in a couple of months.

I am seriously up for whenever, as long as I have a week or two's notice so I can rustle up some money. Elki's thing is in June so definitely then, but I'd totally be up for something before that, especially if it involved bbq :P

Sounds great. And we wouldn't have to do anything expensive, I know how money is. At the same time, good BBQ is expensive, so it really is a dilemma.

But that's cool, I might pick a weekend before June. Should there be another person or two from the forum so it's not as awkward? Or would that be more awkward? Man I don't know how these things work.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Showed you!

There's always a counterpoint to a view. That doesn't mean the counterpoint is always correct.

Could it be about the slits? Sure, in thought experiment lala land. Is it in reality? Of course not!

Well since we have two possibilities we need a manner of discerning which is correct.

_J_ on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    hmm

YES!

Damn, that sounds delicious. Now I'm tempted to go to the convenience store for cheese and crackers EVEN THOUGH IT'S BEDTIME.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Showed you!

That you're a waste of time should any discussion come up since there's no way to know if you're arguing in any honest fashion. Good job.

Quid on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2010
    Elendil wrote: »
    I plan to shave tomorrow

on the other hand there's that swastika carved on my forehead

i won't stare at your swastika if you won't stare at my lazy eye

Organichu on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Good bye, J. I tried, I REALLY fucking tried with you. But I'm no Feral.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited April 2010

Sounds great. And we wouldn't have to do anything expensive, I know how money is. At the same time, good BBQ is expensive, so it really is a dilemma.

But that's cool, I might pick a weekend before June. Should there be another person or two from the forum so it's not as awkward? Or would that be more awkward? Man I don't know how these things work.

You're the dude I know best in this area, man. I see RocketSauce in some threads sometimes but the other guys in the KC area must be G&T folk or something. I dunno, we could just hit a bar and kick it for a while.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Showed you!

I guess they have to ban tinted windows and security cameras too.

James on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    hmm

YES!

Damn, that sounds delicious. Now I'm tempted to go to the convenience store for cheese and crackers EVEN THOUGH IT'S BEDTIME.

Doesn't it, though?

Om nom nom

_J_ on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Quid wrote: »

Showed you!

That you're a waste of time should any discussion come up since there's no way to know if you're arguing in any honest fashion. Good job.

Now, George Wallace argued that segregation was good because it created jobs. Obviously, people really supported segregation not because they were racist but because they wanted an economic boost that segregation brings due to it requiring many redundancies that you don't see in an integrated system.

Couscous on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

He's like an abusive lover. He has these moments where you think "Alright, he's not all bad. That was a kinda funny/interesting post" and then he pushes you into the lamp and yells at you to never fucking do that again you stupid bitch.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The burqa discussion is one I cannot have with my mother, because she is convinced that banning it is the objectively pro-feminist thing to do.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    James wrote: »

Yep, you never know what those people in the limo could be planning.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I have some sharp cheddar and some saltines. Not exactly cheese synergy, but it will do.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

He's like an abusive lover. He has these moments where you think "Alright, he's not all bad. That was kinda funny/interesting" and then he pushes you into the lamp and yells at you to never fucking do that again you stupid bitch.

I am not abusive.

I simply articulate arguments that other people find to contradict their own held assumptions.

In civilized society this results in debate and discourse on the contention in the hopes of discerning truth.

Here it results in people blocking me.

Which seems to indicate the degree to which people want to debate and have discourse.

_J_ on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Or the security guards! Some of them have guns!

James on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

he's not an ender

hahahahaha :^:

have you read On Writing? On the one hand I think it's actually a really fascinating book with a lot of useful advice. On the other hand it completely explains King's issue - he thinks that plots are these artificial impositions on a narrative that force it to go places it isn't supposed to. I can sort of see why writing instinctively makes sense for a horror dude since it's all about like tapping into unconscious anxieties and shit but on the other hand it's like learn to flowchart man

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The burqa discussion is one I cannot have with my mother, because she is convinced that banning it is the objectively pro-feminist thing to do.

removing choice from women is obviously a win for women's rights

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Well that's a silly position to maintain.

Not sure how it is pro-feminist to make illegal something women choose to do.

To which a feminist says: "They did not choose to do that!"

Which is a very interesting epistemic claim.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'm going to leave you guys with the socially stunted goose and go read more Day Watch. Have fun.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I have some sharp cheddar and some saltines. Not exactly cheese synergy, but it will do.

god be with you.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'm watching some french animation about a dude who is consistently 91 cm from himself.

And it is brilliant.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Saltines do not work well with cheese. I draw the line at Pepperidge Farm entertaining quartet.

Butterflies 4 lyfe.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm going to leave you guys with the socially stunted goose and go read more Day Watch. Have fun.
    I thought you hated that book.

But then, you have to read it to get to Twilight Watch and Last Watch.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Exactly.

_J_ on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2010

He's like an abusive lover. He has these moments where you think "Alright, he's not all bad. That was kinda funny/interesting" and then he pushes you into the lamp and yells at you to never fucking do that again you stupid bitch.

I am not abusive.

I simply articulate arguments that other people find to contradict their own held assumptions.

In civilized society this results in debate and discourse on the contention in the hopes of discerning truth.

Here it results in people blocking me.

Which seems to indicate the degree to which people want to debate and have discourse.

not really man

most people want to exchange and test their personal views against someone else's personal views

they aren't really generally interested in battling semantics or hypotheticals or sophistry

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010

While I don't agree with the practice of burqa or niqab in a western setting (it just doesn't work), I think banning them is silly, especially since they're such a minority thing. They're not called for in the Quran or the Hadith, they're a thing mentioned once in the Seerah (story of the life of the Prophet, pbuh - a story, not a source for rules) as something that only the wives of the Prophet did, not something ordinary women were expected to do, so most Muslim women will never wear them anyway.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I thought you hated that book.

But then, you have to read it to get to Twilight Watch and Last Watch.

I do, but some friends told me that same thing so I am powering through rather than picking something else since we have it anyway.

Quid on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I don’t see why it has to be about women in particular, rather than just a manifestation of the larger equality/personal freedom/self-expression issues.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    edited April 2010

This is a pretty disingenuous argument, I have to say.

I mean, I don't really agree with her, but that's a very simplistic rebuttal to a pretty complicated issue.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Or the security guards! Some of them have guns!

Gasp!

This could change everything.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

he's not an ender

hahahahaha :^:

have you read On Writing? On the one hand I think it's actually a really fascinating book with a lot of useful advice. On the other hand it completely explains King's issue - he thinks that plots are these artificial impositions on a narrative that force it to go places it isn't supposed to. I can sort of see why writing instinctively makes sense for a horror dude since it's all about like tapping into unconscious anxieties and shit but on the other hand it's like learn to flowchart man

i have not read it. I actually have basically zero education in literature, literary theory, or writing. I have just read a fair amount.

But yeah if that's King's view on writing it makes a lot of sense why his stories are so terrible. He's great at crafting a scenario and workmanlike if a little puerile in his actual writing, but his sense of plot is truly awful

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
This discussion has been closed.