As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[chat]imir Ilyich Lenin

• SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    The burqa discussion is one I cannot have with my mother, because she is convinced that banning it is the objectively pro-feminist thing to do.

removing choice from women is obviously a win for women's rights
    This is a pretty disingenuous argument, I have to say.

I mean, I don't really agree with her, but that's a very simplistic rebuttal to a pretty complicated issue.

I think, at heart, it isn't a complicated issue.

edit: I don't really want to get into it again after having gotten into it with Richy a couple days ago, but I've yet to see anything from the pro-ban side that wasn't thinly disguised bigotry or magical thinking

Senjutsu on
  • CorbiusCorbius Shepard Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I sometimes worry that I am becoming cold and detached from people.

Then I see J in chat, and I feel human again.

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
    PSN: Corbius
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I like the ones with the little sesame seeds on them too.

prdLarge_112153.jpg

I will talk to myself about the entertaining quartet if no one wants to join it. They are distinctive crackers and there are four different kinds!

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm watching some french animation about a dude who is consistently 91 cm from himself.

And it is brilliant.

That short film? I watched that shit. It was pretty tight.

Nocturne on
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The burqa discussion is one I cannot have with my mother, because she is convinced that banning it is the objectively pro-feminist thing to do.

I mean, I don't really agree with her, but that's a very simplistic rebuttal to a pretty complicated issue.

My answer is usually, don't ban the burqa, that's like putting earplugs in your ears when your neighbor is beating his wife, rather than calling the cops. I swear, some people put so much emphasis on the cloth, as if being bare headed will make it any easier for oppressed women to be free. Give immigrants a better place to start from, that way women who want to can have the education and means to leave those who force it on them. And, after that, when they're on their own and self-sustaining and choose to wear it, let them.

Passerbye on
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Donkey Kong is making me hungry, so I am going to attempt to go to sleep.

'night [chat].

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

religious tradition that may or may not be used as a tool of oppression
    personal choice

it’s not a simple question

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

I understand why many feminists feel that it is in the interests of womens rights to ban burquas and suchlike, not that I necessarily agree, but I can see why.

BobCesca on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2010
    anyways passer i understand that you have nominated me for mod of the year and i just wanted to thank you for this honor

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    One thing I have always wondered is why _J_ is not just outright banned. I mean, time after time, he strolls into D&D threads and makes the most asinine arguments, stretching even the flimsiest notion of logic, and yet he is untouched. He's like one step away from holocaust denial.

Premier kakos on
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    anyways passer i understand that you have nominated me for mod of the year and i just wanted to thank you for this honor

What?

When did I do that?

o_O

Passerbye on
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010

Good luck. Thanatos clearly deserves that one.

Premier kakos on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »
    I'm watching some french animation about a dude who is consistently 91 cm from himself.

And it is brilliant.

What's it called? It sounds neat.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited April 2010
    stilist wrote: »

religious tradition that may or may not be used as a tool of oppression
    personal choice

it’s not a simple question

Restricting personal choice in a way that won't address the root issue ban proponents claim motivates the ban in any way short of *magic* vs not restricting personal choice.

It's perfectly straight forward

Senjutsu on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    sharp cheddar, saltines, and sriracha chili sauce.

I was raised better than this.

Silas Brown on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    At first I thought the water crackers were a throwaway addition to the package, but I was very wrong. More delicate cheeses need a plainer platform from which to stand out.

Really, it's the wheat ones I don't care for. They're too puffy and have that wholly inappropriate "touch of sweetness" thing going on. Screw that.

Donkey Kong on
    edited April 2010
    Oh, and How to Train Your Own Dragon is fuckawesome. Supercool. Uberrad. :^:

Passerbye on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited April 2010
    i have not read it. I actually have basically zero education in literature, literary theory, or writing. I have just read a fair amount.

But yeah if that's King's view on writing it makes a lot of sense why his stories are so terrible. He's great at crafting a scenario and workmanlike if a little puerile in his actual writing, but his sense of plot is truly awful

the funny thing is that his opinion exists at this weird junction where populist junk-food writing and highfaluting academic discourse collide. like a lot of lit crit type dudes think that writing should be freed from the tyranny of narrative and plot, because real life doesn't happen in three acts blah blah blah.

I think it's silly, frankly. A book that's nothing but plot is an airport novel but I have yet to read a serious examination of the human condition that was not bettered by having a few clear plot throughlines and character arcs and act breaks and so forth.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2010
    Passerbye wrote: »

What?

When did I do that?

o_O

wait are you saying it wasn't you?

gosh i am going to have to go back to the drawing board on this one now.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited April 2010
    Lord knows if we ban burqas outside the home it couldn't possibly lead to the men forcing women to wear burqas simply forcing them not to leave the house.

No

It's much more likely that if some fabric goes away the men will attain enlightenment and the women will throw off the cotton shackles of oppression

Senjutsu on
    edited April 2010
    Donkey Kong, I recently tried brie and have realized I need to expand my horizons. Recommend cheese and crackers!

Silas Brown on
    edited April 2010

I keep hearing this but the whole "dragons are misunderstood! kid teaches tolerance" plot seemed really cheesy. Does it manage to avoid being really preachy and cliched?

Donkey Kong on
    edited April 2010
    At first I thought the water crackers were a throwaway addition to the package, but I was very wrong. More delicate cheeses need a plainer platform from which to stand out.

Really, it's the wheat ones I don't care for. They're too puffy and have that wholly inappropriate "touch of sweetness" thing going on. Screw that.

i agree with your criticism of the whole wheat crackers. in principle i really prefer the edge that whole grains bring to the table, but the leavening and sweetness of those crackers call to mind cookies almost, and just ruin the whole vibe

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    girlfriend is up, gotta teach her to starcraft

later chat

James on
    edited April 2010

I keep hearing this but the whole "dragons are misunderstood! kid teaches tolerance" plot seemed really cheesy. Does it manage to avoid being really preachy and cliched?

I'd say it's troped, not cliched, it's a kid's movie. But no, it's not really preachy or cheesy.

Passerbye on
    edited April 2010

What?

When did I do that?

o_O

wait are you saying it wasn't you?

gosh i am going to have to go back to the drawing board on this one now.

I might've. I don't remember, but if it was a while ago I've most likely forgotten.

Passerbye on
    edited April 2010
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    i have not read it. I actually have basically zero education in literature, literary theory, or writing. I have just read a fair amount.

But yeah if that's King's view on writing it makes a lot of sense why his stories are so terrible. He's great at crafting a scenario and workmanlike if a little puerile in his actual writing, but his sense of plot is truly awful

the funny thing is that his opinion exists at this weird junction where populist junk-food writing and highfaluting academic discourse collide. like a lot of lit crit type dudes think that writing should be freed from the tyranny of narrative and plot, because real life doesn't happen in three acts blah blah blah.

I think it's silly, frankly. A book that's nothing but plot is an airport novel but I have yet to read a serious examination of the human condition that was not bettered by having a few clear plot throughlines and character arcs and act breaks and so forth.

i can't remember really being satisfied with a book that did not have a coherent story structure

king's books give the sense that they are made up as he goes along and it's just frustrating. i just don't even want to bother

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »

And it is brilliant.

What's it called? It sounds neat.

This one.

Nocturne on
    edited April 2010
    I think tomorrow I'm gonna try a McDonald's burger with Sriracha chili sauce.

Silas Brown on
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

i agree with your criticism of the whole wheat crackers. in principle i really prefer the edge that whole grains bring to the table, but the leavening and sweetness of those crackers call to mind cookies almost, and just ruin the whole vibe

I like sweet biscuits with cheese, especially brie. I quite often just buy a pack of digestives to have with cheese.

I have come to terms with my oddness.

Also, can you get proper blue cheese in the States?

BobCesca on
    edited April 2010
    Why not just make your own burger with Sriracha?

And yes, we can get good blue cheese in the States. We're not the boondocks, Cesca. :P

Passerbye on
    edited April 2010
    sweet biscuits with brie?

my word!

Silas Brown on
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think I shall go see it today.

RMS Oceanic on
    edited April 2010

Apparently this is some magic combination, the McDonald's burger with Sriracha. I can't remember where I heard about it, but trying it will supposedly be so good that it will destroy my life.

I gotta get in on that.

Silas Brown on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited April 2010
    i can't remember really being satisfied with a book that did not have a coherent story structure

king's books give the sense that they are made up as he goes along and it's just frustrating. i just don't even want to bother

he has actually managed to deliver a couple of times

like there was this one book I read, Wizard and Glass, that felt like it was written by an entirely different dude. It had this really relentless sense of foreboding and everything fit together really neatly and the plot moved inexorably and culminated in this fucked-up, sad ending, like a Greek tragedy

I guess if you write that many books though you're bound to get one right

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I love kxcd so much.

computer_problems.png

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    edited April 2010

Apparently this is some magic combination, the McDonald's burger with Sriracha. I can't remember where I heard about it, but trying it will supposedly be so good that it will destroy my life.

I gotta get in on that.

Sounds like an odd experiment to me, but I still get the occasional craving for McNuggets, so who knows. Maybe the crack in McDonald's food interacts with the chili in some way.

Passerbye on
    edited April 2010
    BobCesca wrote: »

I like sweet biscuits with cheese, especially brie. I quite often just buy a pack of digestives to have with cheese.

I have come to terms with my oddness.

Also, can you get proper blue cheese in the States?

you probably mean stilton

so yes

also, we can get danish, roquefort and gorgonzola pretty easily

some of the other kinds are kind of harder to track down but specialty stores and whole foods generally have a good assortment

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited April 2010

I gotta get in on that.

Sounds like an odd experiment to me, but I still get the occasional craving for McNuggets, so who knows. Maybe the crack in McDonald's food interacts with the chili in some way.

I figure it's either that or I've been totally mislead.

Silas Brown on
    edited April 2010

I gotta get in on that.

it was me

actually it's mcdonald's double cheeseburgers with sriracha

it will ruin your life

you will be ugliest albino

with ugliest soul

and ugly paunch

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
This discussion has been closed.