As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The 5th Annual Cross-Country Supertrip! Shirts have arrived!

Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right NowDrives a BuickModerator mod
edited September 2010 in PAX Archive
Attention CCSTers, we are getting shirts!
33411z6.jpg
If you want one, you must fill out this form with sizing and quantity information. The more shirts we order, the cheaper they will be, and I'm only ordering what people want. There might be extras, but I make no guarantees of availability to people who don't fill out the form (or have it filled out for them). The form is set up to take multiple quantities of multiple sizes, so one person from a car can fill it out for the whole group.

tl;dr IF YOU WANT A CCST SHIRT CLICK HERE AND FILL OUT THIS FORM

npgp3a.jpg
OMG, it's summer, and we're so close to PAX, I can almost taste it. We're gearing up to go, so if you want to join us, post now. The CCST primarily runs along I-90 and I-94, but we have routes from further south to allow others to join up with us. Check out the posts below for more information on that.

What It Is
The Cross-Country Supertrip is our pilgramage to the Penny Arcade Expo from points east. Our primary route runs the northernmost portions of the U.S. However, we have had people from points south join up to the main caravan, which is why I have already scheduled routes coming from multiple points across the eastern United States and from Canada. For those of you who are unfamiliar, we have done this for four years previous and had a great time doing it. One high point about traveling in a caravan is safety in numbers. When it's four in the morning at a travel station in the middle of nowhere, it's good to know twenty or more people in the immediate area (and a lot of fun), although it does make for long lines at the food establishments in areas far from normal civilization (I'm looking at you, now defunct Glendive, Montana McDonalds), but proper planning can help alleviate such things (props to Fargo's Jimmy John's and Glendive's Pizza Hut). It's also a lot of fun to watch all the cars changing lanes late at night, it's like a giant road snake. So, I hope you'll join us. Onward, forward and THAT WAY!
Also, check out last year's video for a solid representation of what to expect (warning: it's 70 minutes long, but worth every second)

How It Works
The Cross-Country Supertrip, or CCST, is divided by stops known as Waypoints. A waypoint is our official stop to get gas, rest and meet up with other Supertrippers along the way. Each waypoint is allotted so much time to allow us to stretch and rest. The points are separated on an average of 250 miles (sometimes less), but not more than 300 miles. After several years of doing this, we've discovered that most people will need to use the bathroom at about half that distance. Those stops aren't explicitly scheduled, but extra time is worked into the schedule for this purpose. Everybody is responsible for finding a ride and making your way to the waypoints, should you not be taking your own car. Payment comes in the form of your share of gas, snacks, etc. Specifics can be arranged with the group leader of your vehicle.

If you want to be added to our list of participants, drop me a line to be added to the list. Use the following format for sending information.

Group Name: Each car needs a unique team name for radio purposes. If names have not been chosen by a certain date close to PAX, I will choose one for you.
Group Leader(s): These are the group's go-to guys. Usually the most active on the forums/internet. Main responsibility lies in relaying status updates between their group and the CCST and for getting their group together to depart from their location.
Vehicle: Year, Make, Model, MPG, Miles per Tank, if it's a rental, owned by you or owned by somebody else and if it's manual or automatic transmission (this is very important)
Max. Desired People: Maximum number of seats that you want to fill including your own (ProTip: it's good practice to leave enough room for at least one person to lay down in the back to get some semblance of real sleep)
Starting Location: City, State/Province where the vehicle is departing from
First Waypoint: The first of our pre-selected stopping points where the vehicle will stop. (see posts below)
Riders List the people who will be in the vehicle below (including you). This section is for confirmed riders. See below for unconfirmed. (fill out this section once per person in the vehicle)
Name: Person A
Location: Location B (if different from vehicle's starting location)
First Waypoint: Waypoint X (if different from vehicle's first waypoint)
Driving?: Yes/No, also indicate if they are able to drive stick
E-Mail: person@webmaster.com

Unconfirmed Riders: Number of unconfirmed riders not listed here (people who say they want to go but haven't made any final commitments yet)
Space Available: Seats still available in your vehicle

What You'll Need
A Working Vehicle - This is a long trip, and we don't want to scrape your steaming wreckage off the side of the road, so do basic maintenance before you go, meaning: change engine oil, check air filter, top off engine coolant and washer fluid. Check road and spare tire pressures and tread ware and bring extra oil, coolant, fluids (brake, power steering, anything that ends in "fluid") to top off on the road with.

A Cell Phone - You or one of your riders will need to be carrying a phone.

A Two-Way Radio - At least five-mile range. These help us keep in communication on the road when cell usage is unavailable or impractical. These are particularly useful during night driving. Many have commented that the ongoing radio chatter has helped to keep them awake in otherwise exhausting situations.

The CCST Handbook - This is a full guide on how to Supertrip. Qs23 and I wrote this up for last year and it worked out quite well in getting people up to speed on how we do things before we hit the road. It will also contain a full contact list of people on the Supertrip. It will be e-mailed to you shortly before departure.

A Gallon Jug of Water - Good for you or your car. Other drinkables are good, but can't go in your car

Non-perishible snackables - Food for the road, beef jerky is a good mainstay along with trail mixes and anything else you might like. Stay away from ideas like a cooler filled with sandwich fixin's. It may sound like a cool idea, but takes up way too much space and is very impractical, especially when you can buy a sandwich or other, more filling foods about every five hours or so.

There's a more complete list that will be posted in the summer before PAX. Stay tuned.

Frequently Asked Questions
Q: It's hella expensive to eat and gas a car for the miles it's going to take to get there. Is it really that much cheaper than flying?
A: There's a formula to calculate the gas costs. Distance divided by miles per gallon, and the result of that divided by the national average cost of gas (or at least the average from where you are to Seattle). As for eating, with the money you save not flying, you can afford to eat and still save money. It ends up costing one car, round trip, a little less than a flight, round trip. But that one car is usually split between three or more people, and that's what makes a big difference.

Q: How much for a seat if I have no car but want to come along?
A: That depends on the vehicle and how gas is being divided up, contact the person you're riding with for details.

Q: How can I help make this baby happen?
A: Number One thing anybody can do to help make this happen is word of mouth, give people links to the official Penny Arcade Expo website and to this thread. Additionally, if you have any skills to offer, either on the road or off, let me know and I'll find something for you to do.

Q: What hotel should I stay at?
A: We'll know that when the guys at Penny Arcade announce what hotels they've negotiated deals with. Don't bother reserving a room until after they announce the hotels and discount codes

Q: When is the Cross-Country Supertrip going to arrive in Seattle?
A: We're aiming for a Thursday, September 3 arrival at about 1pm Pacific Time.
Have any other questions? Just ask them here in this thread.

WholeMap.jpg
Protip: It's not as complex as this image makes it look

And here, for your reading pleasure, Lessons from Geese
So, I've found something that pertains to the CCST that might help convince some of you who are still on the fence, as it were. It's called Lessons from Geese and it was transcribed from a speech given by Angeles Arien at the 1991 Organizational Development Network.
Fact 1
As each goose flaps its wings, it creates an “uplift” for the birds that follow. By flying in a “V” formation, the whole flock has 71% greater flying range than if each bird flew alone.

Lesson
People who share a common direction and sense of community can get where they are going quicker and easier, because they are traveling on the thrust of each other.
How this pertains to the CCST
Traveling together is easier and feels faster because we're all oriented on a common goal. Also you save gas mileage riding in the wake of the vehicles in front of you.
Fact 2
When a goose falls out of formation, it suddenly feels the drag and resistance of flying alone. It quickly moves back into formation to take advantage of the lifting power of the bird immediately in front of it.

Lesson
If we have as much sense as a goose, we stay in formation with those headed where we want to go. We are willing to accept their help and give our help to others.
This is pretty self-explanatory
Fact 3
When the lead bird tires, it rotates back into the formation to take advantage of the lifting power of the bird immediately in front of it.

Lesson
It pays to take turns doing the hard tasks and sharing leadership. As with geese, people are interdependent on each others’ skills, capabilities, and unique arrangement of gifts, talents, or resources.
Don't be afraid of driver rotation. The people in your car are with you all the way, when you're tired, allow somebody else to drive while you rest. Everybody needs rest, and you have other skills that could be put to use when you're not behind the wheel.
Fact 4
The geese flying in formation honk to encourage those up front to keep up their speed.

Lesson
We need to make sure our honking is encouraging. In groups where there is encouragement, the production is much greater. The power of encouragement (to stand by one’s heart or core values and to encourage the heart and core values of others) is the quality of honking we seek.
Radio chatter is golden, especially during the later hours. Talk to each other and feel free to make jokes at the landscape's expense. I've been told in the past, that when everybody in the car is alseep, the only thing that kept the driver going was the fact that there were other drivers in the same situation within easy communications range (as long as your FRS radio has a 5-mile range).
Fact 5
When a goose gets sick, wounded, or shot down, two geese drop out of formation and follow it down to help and protect it. They stay with it until it dies or is able to fly again. Then, they launch out with another formation to catch up with the flock.

Lesson
If we have as much sense as geese, we will stand by each other in difficult times as well as when we’re strong.
We help each other out. If a car should drop behind the group due to some unforeseen catastrophe--such as a tire blowout--we stay in communication, find out the situation, and slow down the pace to allow them a chance to catch up. If it becomes plain that they won't catch up before the next waypoint, we give them some extra time at that stop so that they can meet back up with the group.

I hope this has been insightful.

How Much Will Gas Cost
Okay, here it is, the Energy Information Administration's estimates for gas this year.
Source: http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/cfapps/STEO_Query/steotables.cfm?periodType=Monthly&startYear=2009&startQuarter=1&startMonth=1&endYear=2009&endQuarter=4&endMonth=12&tableNumber=10&noScroll=false

Typically our price is a few cents higher, here's those figures.
US Average August 2006: $2.952
Our Average 2006: $3.00

US Average August 2007: $2.786
Our Average 2007: $2.93

US Average August 2008: $3.779
Our Average 2008: $3.80

US Average August 2009: $2.616
Our Average 2009: $2.634

That gives a difference of as little as 2.1 cents and as many as 14.4 cents. Given recent gas trends, I've decided to run my high-end estimates at $3/gal. For help estimating the cost of gas for your vehicle, bigwah has created this Google spreadsheet, just make a copy and change the yellow fields to suit your vehicle.

The People
Organized by starting waypoint
  • Boston, MA
    CarGo
    Group Leader(s): ImtheOHGODBEES
    Vehicle: '05 Prius, automatic
    Max Number of People: 4 (luggage rack thingy on top)
    Starting Location: Boston, MA
    First Waypoint: Boston, MA
    Riders:
    Name: ImthebOHGODBEES
    Driving?: Yes
    E-mail: grotholson at gmail
    Name: RDubb
    E-mail: unknown

Unconfirmed Riders: 1
    Space Available: 1 (+1 if unconfirmed backs out)
  • Corfu, NY
    E.Hondas
    Group Leader(s): w00dm4n,rufo
    Vehicle: 2009 honda civic hybrid,automatic,about 35 mpg,about 350 miles per tank,Ipod/phone USB port
    Max. Desired People: 3 or 4
    Starting Location: Scranton Pa
    First Waypoint: Corfu, NY

Riders List
    Name: w00dm4n
    driving: yes

Name: Rufo
    First Waypoint: Corfu NY

Name: Cody
    drving: yes
    First Waypoint: Elyria OH

E-Mail: on file

Unconfirmed Riders:1 (Adam)
    Space Available: 0
  • Elyria, OH
    Buick 2.0
    Group Leader(s): Moe Fwacky
    Vehicle: 1999 Buick Century, 28mpg highway, automatic transmission
    Max. Desired People: 3
    Starting Location: Cleveland, OH
    First Waypoint: Elyria, OH
    Riders
    Name: Moe Fwacky
    Driving?: Yes, automatic trans only
    E-Mail: moe.fwacky at gmail
    Name: Jerry (Spook)
    Name: Sarah (Mrs. Spook)

Unconfirmed Riders: 0
  • South Bend, IN
    Lazarus
    Group Leader(s): Yoshamano
    Vehicle: 2002 Mercury Villager Sport, 20MPG, 340 miles per tank, owned by me, automatic
    Max. Desired People: 4
    Starting Location: Marshall, MI (where I-94 and I-69 meet)
    First Waypoint: South Bend, IN
    Riders List
    Name: Yoshamano
    Name: CynderCyn
    Driving?: No
    Name: Rius
    Driving: Yes

Unconfirmed Riders (holding space for): Qs23
    Space Available: None right now, but this might change.
  • Houston, TX
    Team Reloc
    Leader: JonnyNero
    Car: 2006 Toyota Matrix (standard transmission)
    Maximum Occupancy: 2
    Starting waypoit: Houston (Austin)
    Phone number: on file
    Email: onfile
    Riders:
    JonnyNero
    RCars2
    Special Stipulations: this car will be used to move from Houston to Seattle. There will be no return trip and very little space for other bags. I am trying to find a car to team up with as a chase car who can house extra drivers/bags/place to sleep. All gas will be paid for by me since I was planning on that amount for moving expenses anyway, so you'll trip will be free minus any sustenance you may require. If a second car would be willing to team up with me, please let me know. I can get as far as Kansas on my own, so I can pick up anyone on that route between Houston and the first waypoint in Kansas.
  • Fargo, ND
    Goliath
    Group Leader(s):
    Brian Hughes, aka Hugheser
    Jesse McNaughton, aka Doskei
    Vehicle:
    1998 Southwind Storm 30'
    7MPG, 55 Gal Tank, 385 Mi / tank
    Owned by Hugheser
    Automatic Transmission

Max. Desired People: 5
    Starting Location: Bloomington, IN
    First Waypoint: Fargo, ND

Rider List
    Brian Hughes (Hugheser)
    Jesse McNaughton (Doskei)
    Robert Ritchie

Uncomfirmed Riders: 2
    Space Available: Currently 0, we'll update if that changes
  • Billings, MT
    Aftermath
    Group Leader: Sokar
    Vehicle: 1994 Chevy 1500 Pickup, 18mpg, 400mpt, automatic, owned
    Max Desired People: 1
    Starting Location: Cedar Falls, Iowa
    First Waypoint: Billings, Montana (driving from Iowa and spending the night there, then joining the CCST)
    Riders
    Sokar
    Contact Info: On file
    V
    Group Leader(s): VeeSee
    Vehicle: 2010 VW GTI, 24/32 MPG city/HW, 348/464 miles per tank (based on city/HW numbers), automatic, owned by me
    Max. Desired People: 3
    Starting Location: Worland, WY
    First Waypoint: Billings, MT
    Available Seats: 3
    E-Mail: PM'd

Special Note: Not confirmed yet, but will most likely not be making a return trip until the next weekend, Sept 12-13 (Will be catching the Seahawks/49ers game that weekend). In other words if you are driving with me it'll be most likely a one way trip.
  • Butte, MT
    No Name
    Group Leader(s): Jenelle
    Vehicle: 2000 Chrysler Sebring JXI Limited Edition Convertible, 28-30 mpg, 16 gallon tank, 400+ miles/tank, Owned by me, Automatic transmission
    Starting Location: Jackson, Wyoming
    First Waypoint: Either Billings or Butte, depending on riders
    Riders
    Jenelle
    Cell: still needed
    Space Available: 3
  • Post Falls, ID
    Short 'n' Sweet
    Group Leader(s): ShyGuy
    Vehicle: 2002 Ford Mustang, 25 MPH highway, standard
    Max. Desired People: 3 (unfortunately with the baby seat in the back, there's really only enough space for us)
    Starting Location: Elk, WA
    First Waypoint: Post Falls, ID
    Riders
    Name: ShyGuy
    Name: j0z1e
    Name: turn1p
    Driving?: lol no.

Space Available:
  • Ellensburg, WA
    Blueberry on Board
    Group Leaders: Broken Angel, Plusone
    Vehicle: Toyota Corolla, white
    Max Number of People: 5
    Available Seats: None
    Starting Location: Kennewick, WA
    First Waypoint: Ellensburg, WA
    Riders:
    plusone
    Broken Angel
    Deltethnia
    Onathrin
    A Voidwalker
    Email/phone: on file
    Unconfirmed: 0
    Team Cupcake
    Group Leader(s): Spoony
    Vehicle: 2005 Ford Focus 28 MPG, 12.5 gal tank, 350 miles per tank Owned by Spoony Standard Transmission
    Max. Desired People: 3, 4 if there is a short person
    Starting Location: Kent/Seattle, WA

Rider List
    Spoony

Uncomfirmed Riders: 0
    Space Available: 3-4
    Skeeter or WMW
    Group Leader(s): Liger
    Vehicle: 2001 VW New Beetle 1.8L Turbo, 21mpg city, 30mpg highway or Q13 Fox Dodge Charger
    Starting Location: PAX (that's right, driving east to go west)
    Riders
    Name: Liger
    Driving: Yes
    Cell: on file
    [/I]Unconfirmed Riders: 0
    Space Available: ?

The 'G' Unit
    Group Leader(s): Garrett (I put the 'G' in the Unit ;))
    Vehicle: '99 Camaro / 32MPG Highway / ~500miles on a tank / Manual tranny (you wish I was one!)
    Max. Desired People: 2; neither one nor 3, but the number two.
    Starting Location: Bismarck, ND
    Riders
    Name: Garett

Walla Squared
    Group Leader(s): eye-shuh & Teatime
    Vehicle: 1997 Ford Thunderbird, Blue. MPG: 22. Owned by us. Automatic.
    Starting Location: Walla Walla, WA
    Riders-

Name: eye-shuh
    First Waypoint: same

Name: Teatime

Name: Luke

Name: Jen

E6LkoFK.png

Moe Fwacky on

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited April 2010
    The Routes
    These are the northern routes. They all meet in Cleveland, Ohio with the exception of the one originating in Canada and running through Michigan. That one meets at South Bend, Indiana.

New York City/New Jersey to Fargo, North Dakota
    MapA.jpg
    Leg 1 - North Bergen, NJ to Du Bois, PA
    Departure Point: Thind Travel Plaza, 1810 Tonnelle Ave, North Bergen, NJ 07047
    Departure Time: Tuesday, August 31, 03:30 EDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 284 mi/5h00m (0:30 Buffer)
    Arrival Point: Pilot Travel Center, 1742 Rich Hwy, Du Bois, PA 15801
    Arrival Time: Tuesday, August 31, 08:30 EDT
    Downtime: 1 hour

Leg 2 - Du Bois, PA to Elyria, OH
    Departure Point: Pilot Travel Center, 1742 Rich Hwy, Du Bois, PA 15801
    Departure Time: Tuesday, August 31, 09:30 EDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 190 mi/3h30m (0:21 Buffer)
    Arrival Point: Speedway Superamerica, 895 Lorain Blvd. Elyria, OH
    Arrival Time: Tuesday, August 31, 13:00 EDT

Leg 3 - Elyria, OH to South Bend, IN
    Departure Point: Speedway Superamerica, 895 Lorain Blvd. Elyria, OH
    Departure Time: Tuesday, August 31, 14:00 EDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 232 mi/3h30m (-0:06 Buffer)
    Arrival Point: Pilot Travel Center, 6424 Brick Rd. South Bend, IN 46628
    Arrival Time: Tuesday, August 31, 17:30 EDT

Leg 4 - South Bend, IN to De Forest, WI
    Departure Point: Pilot Travel Center, 6424 W Brick Rd. South Bend, IN 46628
    Departure Time: Tuesday, August 31, 18:30 EDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 256 mi/4h30m (0:25 Buffer)
    Arrival Point: Travel Centers of America 5901 US Highway 51, De Forest, WI 53532
    Arrival Time: Tuesday, August 31, 22:00 CDT

Leg 5 - De Forest, WI to Rogers, MN
    Departure Point: Travel Centers of America 5901 US Highway 51, De Forest, WI 53532
    Departure Time: Tuesday, August 31, 23:00 CDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 284 mi/5h00m (0:22 Buffer)
    Arrival Point: Travel Center of America 13400 Rogers Dr, Rogers, MN
    Arrival Time: Wednesday, September 1, 04:00 CDT

Leg 6 - Rogers, MN to Fargo, ND
    Departure Point: Travel Center of America 13400 Rogers Dr, Rogers, MN
    Departure Time: Wednesday, September 1, 05:00 CDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 213 mi/3h30m (0:22 Buffer)
    Arrival Point: Petro Travel Center, 4510 19th Ave SW, Fargo, ND 58103
    Arrival Time: Wednesday, September 1, 08:30 CDT
    Downtime: 2 hours, we will be getting lunch from Jimmy Johns and relaxing for lunch.
    Route continues in Fargo

Boston, Massachusetts to Fargo, North Dakota
    MAPA-2.jpg
    Leg 1 – Boston, MA to Fultonville, NY
    Departure Point: Commonwealth Sunoco, 850 Commonwealth Ave., Boston, MA
    Departure Time: Monday, August 30, 23:30 EDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 208 mi/3h30m (0:05 Buffer)
    Arrival Point: Travel Centers of America, 40 Riverside Dr. Fultonville, NY 12072
    Arrival Time: Tuesday, August 31, 03:00 EDT

Leg 2 – Fultonville, NY to Corfu, NY
    Departure Point: Travel Centers of America, 40 Riverside Dr. Fultonville, NY 12072
    Departure Time: Tuesday, August 31, 04:00 EDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 221 mi/4h00m (0:32 Buffer)
    Arrival Point: Flying J Travel Plaza, 8484 Alleghany Rd, Corfu, NY
    Arrival Time: Tuesday, August 31, 08:00 EDT

Leg 3 – Corfu, NY to Elyria, OH
    Departure Point: Flying J Travel Plaza, 8484 Alleghany Rd, Corfu, NY
    Departure Time: Tuesday, August 31, 09:00 EDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 241 mi/4h00m (0:04 Buffer)
    Arrival Point: Speedway Superamerica, 895 Lorain Blvd. Elyria, OH

Arrival Point: Travel Centers of America 5901 US Highway 51, De Forest, WI 53532

Departure Point: Travel Centers of America 5901 US Highway 51, De Forest, WI 53532

Downtime: 2 hours, we will be getting lunch from Jimmy Johns and relaxing for lunch.
    Route continues in Fargo

Ottawa, Ontario to Fargo, North Dakota
    MapB.jpg
    [FONT=&quot]Leg 1 - Bainsville, ON to Mississauga, ON[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Departure Point: Summerstown Petro-Pass, 6350 County Road 27, Williamstown, ON K0C 2E0
    Departure Time: Tuesday, August 31, 02:30 EDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 244 mi/4h30m
    Arrival Point: Flying J's 1400 Britannia Rd E, Mississauga, ON L4W 1C8
    Arrival Time: Tuesday, August 31, 07:00 EDT

Leg 2 - Mississauga, ON to Dexter, MI
    Departure Point: Flying J's 1400 Britannia Rd E, Mississauga, ON L4W 1C8
    Departure Time: Tuesday, August 31, 08:00 EDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 273mi/5h30m
    Arrival Point: Pilot Travel Center 195 Baker Rd Dexter, MI 48130
    Arrival Time: Tuesday, August 31, 13:30 EDT

Leg 3 - Dexter, MI to South Bend, IN
    Departure Point: Pilot Travel Center, 195 Baker Rd Dexter, MI 48130
    Departure Time: Tuesday, August 26, 14:30 EDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 165mi/3h00m

[/FONT]Route continues in Fargo

Greenville, Virginia to Fargo, North Dakota
    MapC.jpg
    Leg 1 - Greenville, VA to Nitro, WV
    Departure Point: Pilot Travel Center, 3541 Lee Jackson Hwy, Greenville, VA 24440
    Departure Time: Tuesday, August 31, 03:30 EDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 220 mi/4h00
    Arrival Point: Pilot Travel Center, 4304 1st Ave, Nitro, WV 25143
    Arrival Time: Tuesday, August 31, 07:30 EDT

Leg 2 - Nitro, WV to Elyria, OH
    Departure Point: Pilot Travel Center, 4304 1st Ave, Nitro, WV 25143
    Departure Time: Tuesday, August 31, 08:30 EDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 278 mi/4h30m
    Arrival Point: Speedway Superamerica, 895 Lorain Blvd. Elyria, OH 44035

Route continues in Fargo

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited April 2010
    These are the Southern Routes. They meet each other in either Foristell, MO or Faucett, MO

West Columbia, South Carolina to Fargo, North Dakota
    MapD.jpg
    Leg 1 - West Columbia, SC to Knoxville, TN
    Departure Point: Pilot Travel Center, 3008 Charleston Hwy, West Columbia, SC 29172
    Departure Time: Tuesday, August 31, 02:00 EDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 271mi/5h00m
    Arrival Point: Pilot Travel Center, 5508 Lonas Dr, Knoxville, TN 37909
    Arrival Time: Tuesday, August 31, 07:00 EDT

Leg 2 - Knoxville, TN to Oak Grove, KY
    Departure Point: Pilot Travel Center, 5508 Lonas Dr, Knoxville, TN 37909
    Departure Time: Tuesday, August 31, 08:00 EDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 227 mi/3h30m
    Arrival Point: Pilot Travel Center, 8190 Pembroke Oak Grove Rd, Oak Grove, KY 42262
    Arrival Time: Tuesday, August 31, 10:30 CDT

Leg 3 - Oak Grove, KY to Foristell, MO
    Departure Point: Pilot Travel Center, 8190 Pembroke Oak Grove Rd, Oak Grove, KY 42262
    Departure Time: Tuesday, August 31, 11:30 CDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 299 mi/5h00m
    Arrival Point: Travel Centers of America, 3265 N Service Rd E, Foristell, MO 63348
    Arrival Time: Tuesday, August 31, 16:30 CDT

Leg 4 - Foristell, MO to Faucett, MO
    Departure Point: Travel Centers of America, 3265 N Service Rd E, Foristell, MO 63348
    Departure Time: Tuesday, August 31, 17:30 CDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 245 mi/4h00m
    Arrival Point: Farris Truck Stop, 1303 Grand Dd Se, Faucett, MO 63348
    Arrival Time: Tuesday, August 31, 21:30 CDT

Leg 5 - Faucett, MO to Beresford, SD
    Departure Point: Farris Truck Stop, 1303 Grand Dd Se, Faucett, MO 63348
    Departure Time: Tuesday, August 31, 22:30 CDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 288 mi/4h30m
    Arrival Point: Jet Truck Plaza, 1501 W Cedar St, Beresford, SD 57004
    Arrival Time: Wednesday, September 1, 03:00 CDT

Leg 6 - Beresford, SD to Fargo, ND
    Departure Point: Jet Truck Plaza, 1501 W Cedar St, Beresford, SD 57004
    Departure Time: Wednesday, September 1, 04:00 CDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 270 miles/4h30m
    Route continues in Fargo

Reddick, Florida to Fargo, North Dakota
    MapE-2.jpg
    Leg 1 - Reddick, FL to De Funiak Springs, FL
    Departure Point: Petro Stopping Center, 7401 W Highway 318, Reddick, FL 32686
    Departure Time: Monday, August 31, 17:30 EDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 296 mi/4h30m
    Arrival Point: Great American Travel Plaza, 328 Green Acres Dr, De Funiak Springs, FL 32435
    Arrival Time: Monday, August 31, 21:00 CDT

Leg 2 - De Funiak Springs, FL to Hammond, LA
    Departure Point: Great American Travel Plaza, 328 Green Acres Dr, De Funiak Springs, FL 32435
    Departure Time: Monday, August 31, 22:00 CDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 265 mi/4h00m
    Arrival Point: Pilot Travel Center, 2111 SW Railroad Ave, Hammond, LA 70403
    Arrival Time: Tuesday, August 31, 02:00 CDT

Leg 3 - Hammond, LA to Winona, MS
    Departure Point: Pilot Travel Center, 2111 SW Railroad Ave, Hammond, LA 70403
    Departure Time: Tuesday, August 31, 03:00 CDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 224 mi/4h30m
    Arrival Point: Pilot Travel Center, 403 SW Frontage Rd, Winona, MS 38967
    Arrival Time: Tuesday, August 31, 07:30 CDT

Leg 4 - Winona, MS to West Memphis, AR
    Departure Point: Pilot Travel Center, 403 SW Frontage Rd, Winona, MS 38967
    Departure Time: Tuesday, August 31, 08:30 CDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 125 mi/2h00m
    Arrival Point: Pilot Travel Center, 800 Martin Luther King Dr, West Memphis, AR 72301
    Arrival Time: Tuesday, August 31, 10:30 CDT

Leg 5 - West Memphis, AR to Foristell, MO
    Departure Point: Pilot Travel Center, 800 Martin Luther King Dr, West Memphis, AR 72301
    Travel Distance/Time: 310 mi/5h00m
    Arrival Point: Travel Centers of America, 3265 N Service Rd E, Foristell, MO 63348
    Arrival Time: Tuesday, August 31, 16:30 CDT

Leg 6 - Foristell, MO to Faucett, MO
    Departure Point: Travel Centers of America, 3265 N Service Rd E, Foristell, MO 63348
    Travel Distance/Time: 245 mi/4h00m
    Arrival Time: Tuesday, August 31, 21:30 CDT

Leg 7 - Faucett, MO to Beresford, SD

Leg 8 - Beresford, SD to Fargo, ND
    Route continues in Fargo

Austin, Texas to Fargo, North Dakota
    MapE.jpg
    Leg 1 – Austin, TX to Dallas, TX

Departure Point: United Travel Center, 500 Canyon Ridge Dr, Austin, TX
    Departure Time: Tuesday, August 31, 07:00 CDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 228 mi/3h30m
    Arrival Point: View Truck Stop, 13239 S I-35, Valley View, TX 76272
    Arrival Time: Tuesday, August 26, 10:30 CDT

Leg 2 – Dallas, TX to Wellington, KS
    Departure Point: Valley View Truck Stop, 13239 S I-35, Valley View, TX 76272
    Travel Distance/Time: 279 mi/5h00m
    Arrival Point: Love’s Travel Stop 1106 N a St, Wellington, KS 67152
    Arrival Time: Tuesday, August 26, 16:30 CDT

Leg 3 – Wellington, KS to Faucett, MO
    Departure Point: Love’s Travel Stop, 1106 N a St, Wellington, KS 67152
    Travel Distance/Time: 249 mi/4h00m
    Arrival Time: Tuesday, August 26, 21:30 CDT

Leg 4 - Faucett, MO to Beresford, SD

Leg 5 - Beresford, SD to Fargo, ND
    Route continues in Fargo

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited April 2010
    All routes converge in Fargo, which is also about the halfway point for anybody making the long haul.

Fargo, North Dakota to Seattle, Washington

MapF.jpg
    Leg 1 - Fargo, ND to Bismarck, ND
    Departure Point: Petro Travel Center, 4510 19th Ave SW, Fargo, ND 58103
    Departure Time: Wednesday, September 1, 10:30 CDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 187 mi/3h00m (0:22 Buffer)
    Arrival Point: Grand Forks Travel Center, 3936 E Divide Ave. Bismarck, ND 58501
    Arrival Time: Wednesday, September 1, 13:30 CDT
    Downtime: 30 minutes

Leg 2 - Bismarck, ND to Glendive, MT
    Departure Point: Grand Forks Travel Center, 3936 E Divide Ave. Bismarck, ND 58501
    Departure Time: Wednesday, September 1, 14:00 CDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 198 mi/3h00m (0:10 Buffer)
    Arrival Point: Trailstar Truck Stop, 11 Highway 16, Glendive, MT 59330
    Arrival Time: Wednesday, September 1, 16:00 MDT
    Downtime: 1 hour 30 minutes

Leg 3 - Glendive, MT to Billings, MT
    Departure Point: Trailstar Truck Stop, 11 Highway 16, Glendive, MT 59330
    Departure Time: Wednesday, September 1, 17:30 MDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 214 mi/3h30m (0:32 Buffer)
    Arrival Point: Flying J Travel Plaza, 2775 Old Hardin Rd. Billings, MT 59101
    Arrival Time: Wednesday, September 1, 21:00 MDT

Leg 4 - Billings, MT to Butte, MT
    Departure Point: Flying J Travel Plaza, 2775 Old Hardin Rd. Billings, MT 59101
    Departure Time: Wednesday, September 1, 22:00 MDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 235 mi/3h30m (0:11 Buffer)
    Arrival Point: Town Pump, 1000 Grizzly Trail, Butte, MT 59701
    Arrival Time: Thursday, September 2, 01:30 MDT

Leg 5 - Butte, MT to Post Falls, ID
    Departure Point: Town Pump, 1000 Grizzly Trail, Butte, MT 59701
    Departure Time: Thursday, September 2, 02:30 MDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 290 mi/4h30m (0:27 Buffer)
    Arrival Point: 3636 W 5th Ave, Post Falls, ID 83854
    Arrival Time: Thursday, September 2, 06:00 PDT

Leg 6 – Post Falls, ID to Ellensburg, WA
    Departure Point: 3636 W 5th Ave, Post Falls, ID 83854
    Departure Time: Thursday, September 2, 07:00 PDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 192 mi/3h00m (0:09 Buffer)
    Arrival Point: Flying J Travel Plaza, 2300 Canyon Rd, Ellensburg, WA 98926
    Arrival Time: Thursday, September 2, 10:00 PDT

Leg 7 - Ellensburg, WA to PAX (Seattle, WA)
    Departure Point: Flying J Travel Plaza, 2300 Canyon Rd, Ellensburg, WA 98926
    Departure Time: Thursday, September 2, 11:00 PDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 109 mi/2h00m (0:18 Buffer)
    Arrival Point: Washington State C&T Center, 800 Convention Pl. Seattle, WA 98101
    Arrival Time: Thursday, September 2, 13:00 PDT

So that about covers it for now. Additional information and vehicular data will be edited into the OP as it becomes available.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh shit...its here

Note: Place holder for epic plan that I need help with from epic people, in an epic manner...that I don't want lost in the epicness of this thread, that I actually need to go and write out in a semi coherent manner because someone told me he was waiting for a bit to post this. *cough* Moe *cough*

The Epic Moving to Seattle via CCST Plan
    So, as many veterans of the CCST will let you know, this is an amazing prequel to the awesome that is PAX Prime. For any newbies who join, it's a great way to meet new people to possibly hang out with over the weekend. For experienced Trippers, well, that's something you'll just have to find out by yourself.

Two years ago, when I joined for the first time, it was the most amazing, memorable, and fun road trip I have ever been on, and even though I'm one of the few (read 5) insane fuckers who drive 500+ miles out of their way from Texas, to meet up with everyone else in the far north of Fargo, North Dakota, I immediately decided that I was going to do this every year.

Well, unfortunately, this will be my last time to lead a team through the flat lands of the Midwest plains, just to join up with others to drive through the most barren state in the country, whose mayor decided to never construct tunnels through it's mountains. That's because this year will be a one way trip for me...permanently.

In other words, I'm moving to Seattle. The CCST will be my moving drive, and PAX Prime will be my welcoming party. But there are a few inherent problems with this.

Firstly, it's highly recommended that you take at least three people with you who can drive, unless you want to find yourself sitting in a burning hunk of metal just outside the Idaho border. Since I'll have to pack at least enough clothing and some other personal amenities to last at least a month of possible couch surfing, whilst I get my roots set down in the area, this leaves the car having only two seats (driver and passenger), and enough room for the passengers bag (barely).

Secondly, my car is a standard transmission. I'm not going into the details as to why, but I like it, except in cases like this. There have been a few instances of people driving sticks on the CCST that, well, lets just say, it's not recommended to drive a stick on the CCST unless you are lucky enough to know people who can drive stick.

So...I'm calling to all arcadians brave enough to even take on this task, to be even braver.

I need someone who can drive stick from another team, to essentially be a rotating relief driver. I figure two people can make the first days drive to Fargo pretty easily, but that will require driving through most of the night after driving the entire day. Which means we will not make it to Seattle with us alone, I doubt we'd even make it to the next leg.

I've laid down some incentives with this plan. Most importantly, I would pay for all the gas in this car. Since I'm moving, and part of what I was saving was allocated to gas for the move there, it's no problem. I would be willing to pay for at least half a tank in what ever car was going to be the “chase car” for the leg(s) I was riding in, and, if anyone wanted to be REALLY ambitious (and sweetest person alive), and would be willing to fly into Houston to take the trip starting from there, we could negotiate some sort of compensation for that.

I'm working to find at least one person in Houston who would be willing to make the one way trip via car, so really, anyone who is meeting up with the southern route, or will be at the Fargo stop and can drive stick and would be willing to help would be awesome.

From the bottom of my heart, I thank anyone in advance willing to help me out with this. I just need one person, but would welcome as many who have the ability to.

JonnyNero on
    edited April 2010
    Well, it turned out to go faster than I thought it would, and I had some extra time around work. I guess after doing this 4 times already, this thread gets easier to put together.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh shiz.. Moe's working doubley over time to get Prime shit up... let's bombard him with useless questions regarding his personality :D

*Possible place-holder???*

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    edited April 2010
    OR you could be on topic and discuss how epic this year's journey will be.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited April 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    OR you could be on topic and discuss how epic this year's journey will be.

Nah, option one sounds better...

but seriously, it's going to be AWESOME-SAUCE! Now that you have extra PAX Eastians hooked and no longer PAX virgins, it will be even BIGGERER than the other years!

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh shiz.. Moe's working doubley over time to get Prime shit up... let's bombard him with useless questions regarding his personality :D

*Possible place-holder???*

I come through on my threats...er...promises, as seen by the spoiler tag in that earlier post now *wink wink*

JonnyNero on
  • cuennascuennas Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    how long are these roads trips to and fro

cuennas on
    edited April 2010
    Depending on where you're from the trip is about 50 hours to Seattle, and the way back is entirely up to you. I have in the past (very commonly) traveled back with other cars, but not the entire convoy. Many people decide to stay in Seattle beyond PAX, and a few sometimes decide to take a different route home. Also, I believe somebody actually late Sunday once too.

I'm not going to lie to you here, it's an endurance run. That's why we require you have at minimum three drivers unless you are starting past the halfway point. But, beyond it being an endurance run, it's a lot of fun. The video link in my sig will explain everything you need to know about fun and exhaustion all at the same time.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• cuennascuennas Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    ah i see im looking to go to prime trying to figure out wats best actually. but this might actually be fun though i dont drive.

cuennas on
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The clown car may be back this year (with radio batteries) but it kinda depends on another potential trip in August. I will let you know as soon as I find out. :)

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    For anyone who's on the fence and is from the New England area, I can tell you: it *is* doable, and it *is* a lot of fun if you can get sufficient time off from work/school for it. I joined up on the CCST from eastern New Hampshire, and it was an experience unlike any other I've yet had.

Don't let the distance daunt you: you'll be there with many allies. If you're a New Englander thinking about making the trip and you have time, just do it. It's really not something to be missed if you can at all manage getting the sufficient time off to do so!

(Sadly, my chances of getting that much time off again are 0% this year =( But I'm rooting you guys on!)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Driving from Ohio to Baltimore alone after 2 days of little to no sleep is something I never want to do again.
    In other words, I am flying on a plane this year.

I actually just lost all my airline points with Virgin America because I did not fly for over 18 months.
    So that really sucks...

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Moe, you should make sure this is filmed again.

And I think all the newcomers need to know what awaits them in Fargo. :P

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dammit... There goes my streak of posting right after Moe.

Man, I really hope I can continue my streak this year. There's only 2 of us left who've done all 4. (Moe's the other)

P.S. If anybody would like to get me a full-time job here in MI, that's the only way I'm going to be able to do PAX this year.

P.P.S. I'm writing a new manual this year. So watch out for that.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
    edited April 2010
    Are people seriously not signing up in droves yet? Did I forget to do something?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited April 2010
    Are people seriously not signing up in droves yet? Did I forget to do something?

I think it's because the magical PAX Forums button is missing from the main site ;p

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    edited April 2010
    I don't know if that attributes to as much traffic as you might think it does.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• babelfishbabelfish Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Moe, I've got a friend in Syracuse, NY who may be interested, but she'd be missing some school.

What day do you reckon she'd be leaving, and when would she be getting back?

[Edit: She doesn't drive. Is she still welcome?]

babelfish on
    edited April 2010
    From Syracuse, expect to leave early Tuesday Aug 31 morning and get back in the evening on Wednesday Sept 8

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited April 2010
    From Syracuse, expect to leave early Tuesday Sept 2 morning and get back in the evening on Wednesday Sept 8

Uhm... that would be bad if that was true... I really hope it's not.

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    edited April 2010
    I don't know what you're talking about, that's not what I typed at all.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited April 2010
    Would that be Tuesday, August 31, Moe? :p

Edit: Pffft, changing it as I ask. WHATEVER. Quoted for posterity's sake:
    From Syracuse, expect to leave early Tuesday Aug 31 morning and get back in the evening on Wednesday Sept 8

babelfish on
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, in the past 4 years of doing this trip, the first year I had to miss 3 days of class and work, the other 3 I had to take off a week. Thankfully, I graduate 2 weeks prior to PAX this year, which should make things much easier for me.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited April 2010
    Yeah, in the past 4 years of doing this trip, the first year I had to miss 3 days of class and work, the other 3 I had to take off a week. Thankfully, I graduate 2 weeks prior to PAX this year, which should make things much easier for me.

AND a killer graduation partAY!

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    edited April 2010
    How Much Will Gas Cost

Typically our price is a few cents higher, here's those figures.
    US Average August 2006: $2.952
    Our Average 2006: $3.00

US Average August 2007: $2.786
    Our Average 2007: $2.93

US Average August 2008: $3.779
    Our Average 2008: $3.80

US Average August 2009: $2.616
    Our Average 2009: coming soon

That gives a difference of as little as 2.1 cents and as many as 14.4 cents. Given recent gas trends, I've decided to run my high-end estimates at $3/gal. For help estimating the cost of gas for your vehicle, bigwah has created this Google spreadsheet, just make a copy and change the yellow fields to suit your vehicle.

Just some FYI, the average from South Bend, IN to Seattle, WA and back for 2009... was $2.634.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm in, Moe. You have my sword. Or possibly my Charger. Or possibly my share of moneys toward the Awesome Van.

Rius on
    edited April 2010

Yeah, she'd have to take a week off from school, which isn't happening, unfortunately. Pity, and she won't be flying out, either. :(

babelfish on
  • MagnifiedXMagnifiedX [E] PC Security Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm interested in doing this, but absolutely cannot provide a car.

Any potential drivers come out from Boston that want to talk numbers?

MagnifiedX on
  • YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm very interested in doing this, but like the guy above, cannot provide transportation. I'd be more than willing to drive, though, and I come with the superpower of being able to drive a stick shift!

The downside, though, is I'm in southern VA, and I don't know how many people would be able to swing through here to either of the nearby starting points. Stuck in the middle, as they say.

YardGnome on
  • feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I kinda agree with the cannot provide transportation at this moment, as I still have to wait for the Epic Drivers License of "You'll be 25 without a license? LOSER" to drop, as well as getting a job and a car. Though I forsee that this does have the possibility to change between now and September. The upside is, I live off of I-80 in NE Pennsylvania, so anyone using that road could pick me up along the way if worse comes to worse. I must say though, isn't this a really long trip? I just worry that I would have to take a shitload of time off of any job that I would also need to get by September.

And as a side note, I'm trying to think of ways to get money together to go to PAX while looking for a job, like selling goods and so forth, but I don't have any good ideas, or even know if this would be a good idea. I'll probably ask this in a different thread though.

feitocomfruta on
    edited April 2010
    For those of you who feel a bit out of the way of the normal routes: if you don't find anyone in your area you could take public transit (train, etc...) to one of the planned stops potentially, or somewhere along the way on one of the routes! Don't give up on it! =)

VThornheart on
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, it's definitely easier for people to travel to the waypoints than it is to convince people to go out of their way to pick you up at home. Definitely something to consider.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited April 2010
    And remember, you're in for an epic journey. Seriously, the epic nature of the trip itself is worth the money. Rolling into Wisconsin at 2am and buying beef jerky, driving through the sunrise in the mountains, and telling prostitutes in Butte, Montana that you're from the internet are all experiences that you don't get anywhere else... and certainly not with a group of dozens of fellow gamers. =)

VThornheart on
    edited April 2010
    Were they prostitutes? I thought they were just drunken skanks in a muddy car.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited April 2010
    Were they prostitutes? I thought they were just drunken skanks in a muddy car.

Is there a difference?

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I wonder if I could take the company car to do this and call it 'work,' thus removing the necessity to take a vacation day ...

(company car is going to be like a billboard on wheels)

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
    edited April 2010
    Ah, creative thinking Liger! I like it! =) I bet they'd go for it! =)

Also, indeed we weren't quite sure if they were from one category or another, but either way Cuzza's response is unforgettable. =)

VThornheart on
This discussion has been closed.