As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Transcendence 1.0 - Roguelike space sim

NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Games and Technology
Last thing I found about this game on here was posted right before 1.0 was released, like ten days before. So, I figured I'd make sure everyone was aware of this glorious occasion! Go download this gem and start blasting baddies!

http://www.neurohack.com/transcendence/

IHZR47b.png
Nerdtendo on

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I got to the last level but
    could not put a dent in that damn ship and was spending all my time going back into the nebula and taking on the martians so I could get the materials to dump into the living pit and get better gear while using the wiki to make sure I didn't piss the pit off and get eaten.

Actually, thats really kind of interesting, I may have to dl this again.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I just spent waay too much time playing this game...

Its really well made. Very pretty and it gives a good sense of freedom and exploration.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I got even less far on this one than I do on most roguelikes.. I'll have to give it another go, I guess. Seems really bland in the beginning though..

Xaviar on
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ah, I really enjoyed this game the last time around. I'll give this another go.

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I remember trying this way back when - nice idea, but I just couldn't dig into the arcadey nature of stuff. If it were a bit more RPGish ala Space Rangers without the work droughts and bullshit planet poptarting I'd be all over this.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yes. I think this is my problem. I look at it, I control it, and I expect EV-style depth. Instead, everything seems.. flat and artificial. I don't want an arcade game when I play a roguelike, I want a world. Or at least a semblance of one. This doesn't really give me that.

Xaviar on
  • Options
    SaphierSaphier Aka Errant Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I played this back in college... beat the end boss when he was supposed to be unbeatable, by blasting him with tons of EMP (iirc) til he was disabled and spinning in space for a long period of time. Then I flew my ship right on top of it, and rotated manually to match the boss's emp disabled rotation so I could hit the same armor plate enough to break through before it regenerated and finally kill him.

:3

Saphier on
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Never been a big fan of sandbox rougelikes...
    they just aren't compelling at all.

Objective of Nethack; descend through the invincible labyrinth to steal the amulet of yendor from the immortal ultra-wizard and then escape that plane of existence entirely and ascend to demi-godhood.

Objective of a sandbox rouglike; go do stuff, just cuz

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Saphier wrote: »
    I played this back in college... beat the end boss when he was supposed to be unbeatable, by blasting him with tons of EMP (iirc) til he was disabled and spinning in space for a long period of time. Then I flew my ship right on top of it, and rotated manually to match the boss's emp disabled rotation so I could hit the same armor plate enough to break through before it regenerated and finally kill him.

Yeah, but when the creator heard about that he made the final boss immune to emp :P.

It also has shields now.

Bremen on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh boy! Last version I checked out was .96 I think.

This should be fun for a bit.

Drake on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Bremen wrote: »

Yeah, but when the creator heard about that he made the final boss immune to emp :P.

It also has shields now.
    So is there some reason the dev decided he wants the final boss stupidly strong to the point of outright invincibility? Or is he some kind of douche who just wants NOBODY to be able to win?

Sorenson on
  • Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sorenson wrote: »

It also has shields now.
    So is there some reason the dev decided he wants the final boss stupidly strong to the point of outright invincibility? Or is he some kind of douche who just wants NOBODY to be able to win?

I've beaten the final boss since he got buffed. He's not impossible, just very, very hard.

Bremen on
  • Options
    Raoulduke20Raoulduke20 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sorenson wrote: »

It also has shields now.

It seems like most Roguelike designers enjoy punishing the players. I think the difficulty is usually part of the draw, honestly.

Raoulduke20 on
    signatureih.jpg
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It's a matter of tradition. Any method of playing Nethack which consistently results in victory is regarded by the devs as a bug, for instance.

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    GreenishGreenish Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Just getting back into this game again now that there is a real update and not just RCs. The game has changed a lot and the new endgame is a lot more interesting. The lamplighter still wins all even against the new final boss.

Greenish on