As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Just Cause 2: Causing Harder

• Options
    Proven MortalProven Mortal Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I had never heard of this game, but a friend told me to try the demo, and that thing was a blast, how is the real game compared to the impressions from the demo ?

Proven Mortal on
    Proven+Mortal.png
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I had never heard of this game, but a friend told me to try the demo, and that thing was a blast, how is the real game compared to the impressions from the demo ?

it's better

Clevinger on
  • Options
    Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Rizzi wrote: »
    It is better.

Yeah. GTA4 went all serious business, but the story didn't quite pull it off. JC2 could have no story for all anyone cares because the game is just one big excuse to blow stuff up.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    Cannon GooseCannon Goose I need some GAGS! If only I had my gag book!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I love how the game begins in snow and then takes you right into a lush green area. Immediately different from the sandy demo area!

Cannon Goose on
  • Options
    MonthenorMonthenor Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've found that I have been unable to hijack choppers that have a pointier front end.

The round fronted ones are A-OK.

The pointy ones (with a canopy that opens upward) generally don't have a passenger, so you can move right to the hijacking. I don't think you even need to swing up in front, you should just be able to press "get out my ride" and start the minigame.

Monthenor on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Darmak wrote: »
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Yeah so that card I ordered? The 6670? Not gonna happen. PC gave mye the BSOD earlier today so I'm rolling XP again. Means no Just Cause2 and so no point in purchasing a new card. April mother-goosing-fools bitch.

You mean April mother-fucking-fools, right? Because you do know you can still swear, right? Right?

Not to mention that you can use Win7 after a BSOD. and that he couldn't order a 6670 because they don't exist yet.

I was using the Wii to type that so forgive the spelling errors and I know Win7 can still be used after a BSOD, but when the BSOD keeps occurring everytime I boot up, it's time to roll back to something a little more stable. I'm guessing there was some kind of hardware issue there with Win7, memory leak or soething? Though memtest came back all good so fuck knows.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    wusoldjrwusoldjr Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I 100% completed an airport within the influence border of the yellow faction, but after a save/load I go back and there are still military spawning and I get the "restricted area" icon on my HUD. Aren't these locations supposed to be friendly now?

wusoldjr on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    wusoldjr wrote: »
    I 100% completed an airport within the influence border of the yellow faction, but after a save/load I go back and there are still military spawning and I get the "restricted area" icon on my HUD. Aren't these locations supposed to be friendly now?

Nope. Restricted areas are still restricted areas, unless it was a Stronghold Takeover mission.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I really wish the tree textures weren't so obviously billboarded, they look like enemy sprites from Doom, and it's impossible to ignore them when you're chuting around right above them. I guess the graphics can't be perfect.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I thought the foliage was very well done, considering how varied it is on different parts of the island, and how dense it is without loading screens.

Has anyone 100%'d Bukit Bura? The military base at 19137, 9061? I'm stuck at 89% with literally nothing left to pickup/explode. I know all the usual tricks too with hidden shit.

Edit: Nevermind.. there's a hidden antenna about 500m away, around a mountain side.

Figgy on
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ugh. I'm so frustrated with this insto-Heat 5 nonsense. They really need to slow down the Heat generation in this game. I don't need 5 Helicopters gunning my arse down on TOP of the ground crews. Guys, I was just stealing a Jetliner to go moutain surfing with. Honest.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    So I just finished the main story. That is a pretty fantastic final mission.

Figgy on
  • Options
    PeffPeff Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Mountaintop Rescue:
    So after the ninja part (I hate ninjas :winky:) when you're trying to catch Jade, I was kind of disappointed we didn't get the chance to grapple the hummer thing to the chopper for an extraction. I feel like the cutscene was a weird break in the normal "let the player do all the cool shit" moments the game throws at you.

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    InfestedGnomeInfestedGnome Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I hate you hidden transformer that took me 20 minutes to find GWAAAHH

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
    AKA [PA]Ilovepandas :D
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Peff wrote: »
    Mountaintop Rescue:
    So after the ninja part (I hate ninjas :winky:) when you're trying to catch Jade, I was kind of disappointed we didn't get the chance to grapple the hummer thing to the chopper for an extraction. I feel like the cutscene was a weird break in the normal "let the player do all the cool shit" moments the game throws at you.

While I don't like when the game sometimes shoots to a cut scene and does the action for you, I think there needs to be a line somewhere. What you are describing is something that would almost certainly break the mission mechanic and bug it out in most cases. Don't forget this is a video game, and as such there needs to be limitiations in order to minimize the amount of times the game completely conks out.

And this game... the shit you can do... I'm surprised it hasn't conked out on me yet.

Edit: Oh god.. why the fuck do I have to see "COMPLETED X%" every single time I do anything now? That is god damned irritating, and it's only happened three times so far. At less than 28%, this is going to get mighty tiring.

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Figgy wrote: »
    Mountaintop Rescue:

While I don't like when the game sometimes shoots to a cut scene and does the action for you, I think there needs to be a line somewhere. What you are describing is something that would almost certainly break the mission mechanic and bug it out in most cases. Don't forget this is a video game, and as such there needs to be limitiations in order to minimize the amount of times the game completely conks out.

And this game... the shit you can do... I'm surprised it hasn't conked out on me yet.

I see your point...I do, there are a lot of limitations that games have to impose. At the same time, what I proposed you can do normally, it would just be a matter of making sure it had the right passenger.

I guess I was just sad that I went from
    a high speed chase to a cutscene
    so quickly.

Dunno if I needed to spoil that...but better safe than sorry and incurring the wrath of the Tube.

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    That happens a lot in the story missions unfortunately. I was actually pretty disappointed that I didn't actually need to catch the falling gunner at the start of the game. You get within 100m or so and BAM.. cut scene.

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Figgy wrote: »
    That happens a lot in the story missions unfortunately. I was actually pretty disappointed that I didn't actually need to catch the falling gunner at the start of the game. You get within 100m or so and BAM.. cut scene.

Indeed...especially considering they set you up to do it.

I guess I can't complain too much, I mean I just did the Mountaintop Rescue after 23 hours of game time, I'm clearly not in it for the plot :P

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Cheese and biscuits.

All the ads and dev videos did nothing to sell me on this game.

The user-made youtube videos, however, make want to buy this RIGHT NOW.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "You have almost located all of the ancestral skulls!"

Look, I appreciate your optimism, but 13/100 is hardly "almost all."

Figgy on
  • Options
    MindstormMindstorm Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, this game is a little brutal with the collect missions. At least they're all little dots on the map that I can see.

My heart definitely sank when I realized how many items I had to collect, haha.

Mindstorm on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Mindstorm wrote: »
    Yeah, this game is a little brutal with the collect missions. At least they're all little dots on the map that I can see.

My heart definitely sank when I realized how many items I had to collect, haha.

They aren't missions, and you don't even have to collect them to 1000/1000 the game. It's just something else to do on the island.

I, for one, enjoy flying the souped up Agency skeeter across the island.
    Skeet skeet?

Figgy on
  • Options
    MindstormMindstorm Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Not missions, no, but I feel so horribly compelled to get all of the shiny boxes.

Mindstorm on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Not missions, no, but I feel so horribly compelled to get all of the shiny boxes.

Races make me so sad, because I'm passing all those boxes under the bridges, but I can't stop and pick them up. It's heartbreaking.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Races make me so sad, because I'm passing all those boxes under the bridges, but I can't stop and pick them up. It's heartbreaking.

So this. I did a bunch of races last night and just felt a pang of pain each time my radar went off.

I've taken to recording bridge coordinates as I pass them so I can do the limbo thing later. There is almost too much to do in the game and I love it.

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So this game is a giant, unapoligetic 80s action movie that thrives on swarthy men and gasoline explosions? WITH NINJAS?

Sign me up.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    dmaurodmauro Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So this. I did a bunch of races last night and just felt a pang of pain each time my radar went off.

I've taken to recording bridge coordinates as I pass them so I can do the limbo thing later. There is almost too much to do in the game and I love it.

What's this radar? Are you just talking about when you get a grey arrow on screen? And is there a way to record coordinates besides putting your pointer there temporarily?

dmauro on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    dmauro wrote: »

What's this radar? Are you just talking about when you get a grey arrow on screen? And is there a way to record coordinates besides putting your pointer there temporarily?

Just the little wifi signal at the top of your minimap.

As for coordinates...I don't think there's a way to save in game, I just go into the map and write them down on a notepad.

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Never played the first game, but I picked JC2 up yesterday and it's basically just GTA San Andreas set on a tropical island.
    This is a very good thing.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    dmauro wrote: »

You knew about the wifi thing right? That shows your relative distance to the closest box? In the top left?

Because I sure didn't for the first 8 hours or so.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    By this point, the whole "the signal bar above your minimap shows how close you are to a box" thing should honestly be in the thread title.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    How do I unlock the last two Stronghold Takeovers and the rest of the Faction Missions?

I unlocked everything I thought I could unlock and beat the game and now that I've finished doing every single mision available to me, I seem to be missing two strongholds and about ten or so Faction Missions. What gives?

This is the first game that I've felt pretty certain I could Platinum in no time (I've gotten 70-80% of the Trophies so far), but it's gonna be impossible unless more stuff decides to pop up. Did I do something wrong? Should I have waited to beat the story? Is it a glitch or something?

Someone help me see what I am missing here.

hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Any differences between the PS3 and 360 versions, other than YouTube functionality on the PS3?

Renzo on
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've taken to recording bridge coordinates as I pass them so I can do the limbo thing later.

Limbo thing?

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    wow, loaded the game, and my saves were all.... well, completely gone. Like completely gone. Had to restart.

On the other hand, I now have infinite health, infinite ammo, as many weapon/vehicle points as I want, strong rope, and free Black market deals so.

Really it's the game the way it was meant to be played.

Khavall on
  • Options
    HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Khavall wrote: »
    wow, loaded the game, and my saves were all.... well, completely gone. Like completely gone. Had to restart.

On the other hand, I now have infinite health, infinite ammo, as many weapon/vehicle points as I want, strong rope, and free Black market deals so.

Sans any sort of challenge?

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Hillean wrote: »
    Khavall wrote: »

Sans any sort of challenge?

The "Challenge" of the game was getting killed in cheap ways and coming to terms with the fact that either you could get to places in a cool way or in a fast way.

So really, the Challenge part was stupid and annoying, and got in the way. The point of the game was to be awesome, and to make your own challenge and fun. The idea that some stupid fucker with a shotgun could end you in half a second and make you reload was not part of the fun.

Khavall on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I dunno about god mode, but if BOLOpatch had checkboxes for "take 50% less damage" and "recharging health recharges ALL your health, instead of leaving you almost dead anyway" I'd be putting those on. The health system is just kind of broken in this game.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ayulin wrote: »
    I've taken to recording bridge coordinates as I pass them so I can do the limbo thing later.

Limbo thing?

Aye, Bridge Limbo. Achievement for flying an airplane (heli's don't count) under every bridge in Panau. I believe the achievement reads 31 unique bridges.

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'll admit, parts of the BOLOPatch infinite health are a little wonky, like crashing a plane into the ground, then falling another 300m inexplicably to the ground with no damage but a few seconds of ragdolling are a little unbelievable, but on the other hand..... let's assume that I hit the tree, died, and had to reload. What's the point? I would love challenge that's well done. BFBC2, which is my alternate game right now, has nice MP challened. ME2 makes you feel like you just approached situations wrong or died for a reason. So little in JC2 do I feel my death was for real, and so much did I feel it was cheap. Now I never have to reload because of cheap, because I shoot the cheap.

Khavall on