As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions (Noir Spider-Man holy shit!)

• KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hmmm. This could be good. I'll have to keep an eye on this. It sounds as though this game has contained levels as opposed to an open world set up like previous games, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing if that's the case. I think I'll opt for cautious optimism until more concrete information comes along.

Oh, and here's an interview with the producer of this game, Meghan Morgan. A few interesting titbits, but nothing major.

It does make the Noir dimension sound interesting to me. If it's done right, then it could be like the Invisible Predator levels in Batman: Arkham Asylum... and I loved those.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Cherrn wrote: »
    That whole game was so stupid/great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToeFHLH8DE0

This is the best Spider-Man game, ever. I remember playing through it a million times. There was just a seemingly endless amount of Spider-Man costumes - AND THATS ALL I WANT.

Cosmic was GAME BREAKING. Scarlet Spider ruled. Armored Spider-Man was cool. Regular Peter Parker. It was all so GOOD. And you didn't play Cosmic to really play the game - you played Cosmic because Cosmic SHOULD be incredibly overpowered, and it was SO FUN to just kill some time as an insane powered up Spidey.

I wish so badly they'd go back to this formula of a bazillion costumes.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Cherrn wrote: »
    That whole game was so stupid/great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToeFHLH8DE0

This is the best Spider-Man game, ever. I remember playing through it a million times. There was just a seemingly endless amount of Spider-Man costumes - AND THATS ALL I WANT.

Cosmic was GAME BREAKING. Scarlet Spider ruled. Armored Spider-Man was cool. Regular Peter Parker. It was all so GOOD. And you didn't play Cosmic to really play the game - you played Cosmic because Cosmic SHOULD be incredibly overpowered, and it was SO FUN to just kill some time as an insane powered up Spidey.

I wish so badly they'd go back to this formula of a bazillion costumes.

They will. Only now they'll cost a buck each.

Ceno on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Ah fuck...Cenos right. DAMN YOU MICROSOFT!

DarkWarrior on
  • Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Four mediocre games in one!

This is pretty much my sentiment. Its like they couldn't decide which poorly implemented universe to use so they used all the ones they had.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

This is pretty much my sentiment. Its like they couldn't decide which poorly implemented universe to use so they used all the ones they had.

This would be a lot more interesting if all the games took place in the same location, and you could switch universes at will. For the record, I loved Soul Reaver.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
    edited April 2010
    templewulf wrote: »

This would be a lot more interesting if all the games took place in the same location, and you could switch universes at will. For the record, I loved Soul Reaver.

I miss Legacy of Kain.

Basically, I very much doubt Activision putting the money in to create 4 different NYCs and so theres either going to be one with 3 level based universes or the entire thing will be isolated, which is a huge step back.

DarkWarrior on
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    templewulf wrote: »

I miss Legacy of Kain.

Basically, I very much doubt Activision putting the money in to create 4 different NYCs and so theres either going to be one with 3 level based universes or the entire thing will be isolated, which is a huge step back.

Well, sure, it's Activision; I'm just saying what tweaks to this formula would make the multi-universe thing more interesting. As it is, I'm not sure why Spidey is in the jungle with no buildings to swing on.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think this game is going to lack the huge NYC to swing around. Sounds like they're going a level's approach.

Can't entirely blame them. It's been what, 4 games now, and they still can't get Spidey to work in an open city game.

Kyougu on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    They did it once upon a time

I don't know how that hasn't happened since

I appreciate the idea of wanting to have more diverse environments than just "hey it's NYC again" but I think NYC would still be way fun if your swinging was fun

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    From what little they've shown I wouldn't say for certain that NYC is gone. Other Spider-Man games have also had "levels" that weren't connected to the main city.

If the city still is in the game, I'm betting it will be the exact same for all four dimensions, but with different textures for all the surfaces. Maybe some slight differences in major landmarks and stuff.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    if they went all out and recreated NY in the depression then spidey would play quite differently anyways, so it'll be interesting to see what they do.

Local H Jay on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Called it.
    Unlike the past several console Spider-Man games, this one won't feature large sandbox-style environments.
    The gameplay I saw was prefaced by the revelation that, unlike the past several console Spider-Man games, this one won't feature large sandbox-style environments in which players can forge their own paths, take on side missions and so on. Rather, the game is level-based, with each being scripted so as to steer clear of what its developer, Beenox, felt was a lot of "filler" in the past titles. I was told that Spidey will encounter each dimension's boss character multiple times as players make their way to its final level, and, each time, the bosses will have gained new powers and abilities. The dimensions themselves will take him outside of the franchise's familiar Manhattan setting at times. The action in the Amazing Spider-Man dimension I was shown, for example, takes place in a rain forest peppered with ancient ruins.

Joystiq is not impressed

Kyougu on
    edited April 2010
    You can't really say you called it when like 10 other people also called it. Another floppy Spider-Man game it seems. No sandbox, no deal.

DarkWarrior on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »

I appreciate the idea of wanting to have more diverse environments than just "hey it's NYC again" but I think NYC would still be way fun if your swinging was fun

are you talking about spider-man 2? because the swinging was fun but the combat was absolutely atrocious, which pretty much describes every subsequent game except web of shadows, where combat was occasionally entertaining, occasionally

Evil Multifarious on
    edited April 2010
    I liked the combat in Spider-Man 2

I didn't care for the camera much, but the combat wasn't aggressively awful, and you had combos that let you string dudes up on lampposts

And the swinging was great and there were all kinds of secret areas to find in the city and I sort of want to play it now

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    edited April 2010

are you talking about spider-man 2? because the swinging was fun but the combat was absolutely atrocious, which pretty much describes every subsequent game except web of shadows, where combat was occasionally entertaining, occasionally

I enjoyed combat in 2. You had performable combos, the spider-sense dodge, ricochets, webbing to lamposts. I nmean it was awesome, you could web them to the lampost and then swing away in one motion like you were truly dealing with the riff-raff.

EDIT: DAmn you George Clooney.

DarkWarrior on
  • MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Called it.
    Unlike the past several console Spider-Man games, this one won't feature large sandbox-style environments.
    The gameplay I saw was prefaced by the revelation that, unlike the past several console Spider-Man games, this one won't feature large sandbox-style environments in which players can forge their own paths, take on side missions and so on. Rather, the game is level-based, with each being scripted so as to steer clear of what its developer, Beenox, felt was a lot of "filler" in the past titles. I was told that Spidey will encounter each dimension's boss character multiple times as players make their way to its final level, and, each time, the bosses will have gained new powers and abilities. The dimensions themselves will take him outside of the franchise's familiar Manhattan setting at times. The action in the Amazing Spider-Man dimension I was shown, for example, takes place in a rain forest peppered with ancient ruins.

Joystiq is not impressed

This is the part that I'm sick of. Dammit, I beat you. I don't want to do it again! Lord knows there's enough characters in Marvel's universe of baddies, let along Spiderman's immense Rogue-gallery, that this doesn't need to happen. There stuck on this gimmick as much as they are using the Symbiote.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Man, I was really hoping one of the dimensions would be the Japanese toku Spider-Man, with magical bracelet and giant transforming lion mech.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u4kNEvp7xA

Hmm, is it bad that I was disappointed when the trailer revealed the game wasn't just the Noir dimension?

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I imagine the rights of the Japanese Spider-man are somewhat complicated, partially due to the whole "using the character without permission" thing.

Also, I really hope this game has more than one boss per character. If Amazing Spider-man is stuck in the jungle setting fighting just Kraven for his entire segment I'm probably not going to bother. If you're going to do the multiple dimensions thing, we should see some of the same characters in each version. For example, make Doc Ock or Green Goblin responsible for that stupid tablet shattering, and so each Spider-man has to fight a version of them at the end of their part, but along the way they fight other villains that Otto/Osborn was able to recruit in that dimension.

Lars on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Preview says 2 sub bosses then a main boss. The main boss is fought 4 times because he's in every dimension. So it's really 9 bosses.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ugh, goddamn it. I will maintain that swinging through the city in the previous Spider-Man games is one of my favorite core mechanics, probably ever. No matter how trashy the rest of the games were.

So I don't think removing it bodes well. I'm not discounting this game's quality, but swinging is really what I want out of a Spider-Man game. There are not nearly enough games where movement itself is such a joy, and if this turns out to be part stealth, part combat, I probably will not give a shit.

It's really a shame that no one post Spider-Man 2 could craft a good game based around that mechanic. Stylistically, it still has so much potential.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If they just went and dropped Arkham Asylum's combat system into this game, I'd be pretty satisfied. I mean, that system would pretty much perfectly reflect Spidey's acrobatics.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I liked the combat in Spider-Man 2

I didn't care for the camera much, but the combat wasn't aggressively awful, and you had combos that let you string dudes up on lampposts

And the swinging was great and there were all kinds of secret areas to find in the city and I sort of want to play it now

Spider-Man 2 is without a doubt one of my favorite games of last-gen. I actually owned it on all three consoles at one point or another.

Best part? The hint markers were narrated by Bruce Campbell, and one of them said that if you find them all and activate them again, he'll say something different

Find all 216 and activate them again, and there's Bruce Campbell: "Something different," in a variety of tones.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited April 2010
    In fact, lack of extra costumes was my only real flaw with Spider-Man 2

I wanted to swing around as Peter Parker, damn it

The first movie game was really underrated, I thought. At the time it was just a movie-dressed version of the PS1 game, and I was totally fine with that

UnbreakableVow on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    man i feel like the only optimistic person for this game. first, we finally get a game that isn't in the same setting (yeah NYC still, i mean at least not the center of the action). next, we get some sweet alternate universes to fuck around in and, from what we've seen it seems the gameplay will change from universe to the next at least in terms of playstyles required.
    i've enjoyed many open-world games, but i think if they really focus on building fun levels for you to be spiderman in, it really won't matter. as much as a really well done spiderman game set in open world could be awesome, i'm not upset they are changing it up.

also i care not about them reusing symbiotes, as long as they stay far away from trying to 'write' for the symbiote storyline. it should be a jacked as fuck spiderdude and you run around beating the shit out of everyone while it says "FEED MORE" as you eat brains

also i really liked web of shadows despite the voice acting so if the combat is similar i'd be okay with that

Local H Jay on
  • warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i'm not gonna lie. i'm probably gonna buy this.

if it has web swinging, or some reasonable facsimile thereof, i will buy it

bionic commando, every spider man game ever

i love all of them

Yeah, I'm in the same freaking boat. I dont know what it is, but anything where u can swing around, is almost a guaranteed purchase for me. I have all the Spidey games and Bionic Commando.

The WoS was ok. The animations were pretty awesome, combat was cool, but needed a little more variety.

While swinging was simplified it was still good, the one thing that was sorely lacking were races/time trials.

warder808 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    as a huge spider-man fan I will try any game once

and I love the idea of multiple universes too

I hope there's a demo, because I'd really like to try this game out

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited April 2010
    warder808 wrote: »
    i'm not gonna lie. i'm probably gonna buy this.

if it has web swinging, or some reasonable facsimile thereof, i will buy it

bionic commando, every spider man game ever

i love all of them

Yeah, I'm in the same freaking boat. I dont know what it is, but anything where u can swing around, is almost a guaranteed purchase for me. I have all the Spidey games and Bionic Commando.

Get Just Cause 2

UnbreakableVow on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I love how they say the old games had lots of filler and then the very next sentence is talking how you have to fight each boss multiple times.

-SPI- on
    edited April 2010
    The most positive thing to take away from that preview is that it is in fact level-based

They've shown twice now since Ultimate Spidey that they can't quite figure out how to make another good open-world game, so I'm fine with levels. Spider-Man and Spider-Man: The Movie were both good fun (but both very constrictive on web-slinging, though we didn't really notice that until Spider-Man 2 hit).

Open-world is fine, but honestly, great set-pieces in a well-designed Spider-Man game would be kickass

UnbreakableVow on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So if they're getting former Spidey voice actors to do the game, they need to get NPH from the MTV version. It was him, Lisa Loeb, and Ian Ziering.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    edited April 2010
    They should just get Josh Keaton from The Spectacular Spider-Man

He's pretty much perfect (so is that show)

UnbreakableVow on
  • Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The first movie game was really underrated, I thought. At the time it was just a movie-dressed version of the PS1 game, and I was totally fine with that

Yes. I loved that game. Everybody always forgets that one.

Muddy Water on
    edited April 2010
    InkSplat wrote: »
    If they just went and dropped Arkham Asylum's combat system into this game, I'd be pretty satisfied. I mean, that system would pretty much perfectly reflect Spidey's acrobatics.

Hell, the whole counter system is already basically Spider-Sense. Even the Bat-grapple could basically function as a web attack while in combat. Add some sweet special moves, maybe a taunt button, and we'd have some decent Spider-Man combat!

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Hell, the whole counter system is already basically Spider-Sense. Even the Bat-grapple could basically function as a web attack while in combat. Add some sweet special moves, maybe a taunt button, and we'd have some decent Spider-Man combat!

This would be fantastic.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

I enjoyed combat in 2. You had performable combos, the spider-sense dodge, ricochets, webbing to lamposts. I nmean it was awesome, you could web them to the lampost and then swing away in one motion like you were truly dealing with the riff-raff.

Totally agreed; SM2 is about the closest we've gotten to a really engaging, solid Spider-Man experience.

I personally disagree with the notion that levels are the way to go. You don't necessarily have to go 'full sandbox' either; Arkham Asylum proved that. But just "sewer level", "jungle level", "antarctic level"? Nah. As with Friend or Foe or his inclusion in the Marvel Ultimate Alliance games, Spider-Man just doesn't feel right when he doesn't have a full, open city to swing around in. It's akin to putting Superman in some top-down beat-em-up game - it just doesn't fit the character. Spider-Man's mobility is a huge part of the appeal of playing him, so limiting that by throwing him in some constrained (and I'm just basing this on what I've seen of Shattered Dimensions and the other games mentioned above) area just sucks the fun right out of the everything.

One of the things I loved most (and I realize this is sort of the minority opinion) about SM2 was the random crimes/help the citizen events. That was something I always wanted to do in a Spider-Man game, and short of the stupid balloon one, I think Treyarch handled it really well. That kind of gameplay would be harder to fit into a level-based or even quasi-sandbox game.

Hopefully someone will make another decent Spider-Man game sometime, but this one certainly doesn't seem like it will fit the bill.

Halfmex on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Levels could work, as long as they're well designed to emphasise spider-man's movement. Something like prince of persia for webslinging.

-SPI- on
    edited April 2010
    Halfmex wrote: »

Totally agreed; SM2 is about the closest we've gotten to a really engaging, solid Spider-Man experience.

I personally disagree with the notion that levels are the way to go. You don't necessarily have to go 'full sandbox' either; Arkham Asylum proved that. But just "sewer level", "jungle level", "antarctic level"? Nah. As with Friend or Foe or his inclusion in the Marvel Ultimate Alliance games, Spider-Man just doesn't feel right when he doesn't have a full, open city to swing around in. It's akin to putting Superman in some top-down beat-em-up game - it just doesn't fit the character. Spider-Man's mobility is a huge part of the appeal of playing him, so limiting that by throwing him in some constrained (and I'm just basing this on what I've seen of Shattered Dimensions and the other games mentioned above) area just sucks the fun right out of the everything.

One of the things I loved most (and I realize this is sort of the minority opinion) about SM2 was the random crimes/help the citizen events. That was something I always wanted to do in a Spider-Man game, and short of the stupid balloon one, I think Treyarch handled it really well. That kind of gameplay would be harder to fit into a level-based or even quasi-sandbox game.

Hopefully someone will make another decent Spider-Man game sometime, but this one certainly doesn't seem like it will fit the bill.

Spider-Man 2 basically had being Spider-Man down to a T. You could easily flow from web slinging into combat into picking up an injured civilian without touching the ground. It was very, very fluid and intuitive. And at a certain point you could get the skill to never be stopped, just swing, boost your speed and skim the rooftop of a building before making it to the other side and continuing your swing, seeing a crime, blasting around the side of a building, not webbing anymore while diving perfectly into the middle of the mess and laying waste to everything. It was flawless and it pisses me off noone has just transplanted that but instead attempted, badly, to keep remaking it like it wasn't done right before.

It gets annoying near the end when they throw robots and mechs at you that resist all your goddamn attacks though.

And like someone said they had Bruce Cambell narrating clues and pickups. Thats a nice way to get you to hunt them down. If anyone making these games made more than 5 repeating side-missions they'd do well but instead they continue to downgrade and downgrade. Ugh.

DarkWarrior on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

This would be fantastic.

It is amazing how little of Arkham Asylum you need to alter to make it a Spider-Man game.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.