As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Book thread: Distractions welcome

• TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i just picked up locke and key: welcome to lovecraft while looking for pandemic

hope it's good, it was a bit spendy.

TyrantCow on
  • Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Quoth wrote: »
    Sorcerer's Apprentice: http://bit.ly/d0KI5c Harry Dresden: http://bit.ly/cYLOwI Just sayin.

that's awesome

hey, I just had an idea

Harry Dresden/John Constantine meet in a bar somewhere

there's a writing prompt for you
    Then Spock and Kirk will show up and that's when things get real interesting.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    We should start this story with Godzilla hoppin' around Tokyo like a big playground

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I read The Shooting War the other day. It wasn't very good.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    AMP'd wrote: »
    We should start this story with Godzilla hoppin' around Tokyo like a big playground

in my dream I am the star. its me. and THEN the big man comes

Antimatter on
    edited April 2010
    I think I prefer Aaron Carter vs. Shaq

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Stuff I have read over spring break: Les Miserables, Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World

Stuff I have left to read: A Confederacy of Dunces

My favorite chapter of Les Miserables is the one that covers Marius' father's life. And at the end he jumps over a ditch at the end of a battle and lands right in the middle of a ton of British soldiers. There is a whole page that is going over that sometimes, there's just one word to sum up events, and when it concludes, Maruis' father just says "Shit."

Langly on
  • tastypastrytastypastry Can somebody please remove these cutleries from my knees?Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I am starting to re-read some Tolstoy. It's been too long!

tastypastry on
    edited April 2010
    Langly wrote: »
    Stuff I have read over spring break: Les Miserables, Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World

Stuff I have left to read: A Confederacy of Dunces

My favorite chapter of Les Miserables is the one that covers Marius' father's life. And at the end he jumps over a ditch at the end of a battle and lands right in the middle of a ton of British soldiers. There is a whole page that is going over that sometimes, there's just one word to sum up events, and when it concludes, Maruis' father just says "Shit."

The stuff in Les Mis that touched me the most was the relationship between Marius and M. Gillenormand

Also I was a little bit dissapointed that my edition was abridged to leave out Hugo's dissertations on argot and the sewers of Paris

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Wombat!!Wombat!! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've been reading all kinds of Kurt Vonnegut lately, and I'm really, reaaaally enjoying his work.

Wombat!! on
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I can't get into long form russian that easily. I should read crime and punishment though. I do really, really like Russian short fiction though.

Also I hadn't read much Vonnegut so I started reading Breakfast of Champions last week and that was a very bad idea because I was depressed at the time and whoo boy did that not help any. Does it uh.. get less kill-yourself later on or was I just completely misreading it because I was crazy

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    edited April 2010
    I am starting to re-read some Tolstoy. It's too long!

Antimatter on
    edited April 2010
    I mean you can't really blame them. The books were sold as serials anyway and it's not like they had anything else to do during those winters than write and write and write

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    edited April 2010
    Breakfast of Champions gets better, yes.

Antimatter on
  • ScrumScrum __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Artreus wrote: »
    I can't get into long form russian that easily. I should read crime and punishment though. I do really, really like Russian short fiction though.

Also I hadn't read much Vonnegut so I started reading Breakfast of Champions last week and that was a very bad idea because I was depressed at the time and whoo boy did that not help any. Does it uh.. get less kill-yourself later on or was I just completely misreading it because I was crazy

Breakfast of Champions is pretty depressing throughout. Cat's Cradle, Slaughterhouse V, and Mother Night even more so. The Sirens of Titan is pretty cheerful in comparison though. Vonnegut is not an author to read while depressed.

Scrum on
    edited April 2010
    I've been reading Vonnegut while depressed.

Yeah so that's been going well, but I still enjoy it.

I found the end to Sirens to be the saddest of the books of his that I have read so far, like, I had the biggest connection with the characters in that one because it didn't jump around quite as much as in his other books, and didn't end as suddenly, but had some conclusion to the different story lines.

Wombat!! on
    edited April 2010
    Yeah it wasn't that I thought it was bad at all or anything. It was just making me hate humanity/everything.

Also I only got around to reading The Martian Chronicles a few years ago and it was not what I thought it would be like at all. holy shit

Artreus on
  • ScrumScrum __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    I read Cat's Cradle right after a break up. Sad City, I tell ya what. Still, he's my favorite author. I think I might enjoy Slaughterhouse V the most, but it's really hard to choose.

Scrum on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wombat!! wrote: »
    I've been reading Vonnegut while depressed.

Yeah so that's been going well, but I still enjoy it.

I found the end to Sirens to be the saddest of the books of his that I have read so far, like, I had the biggest connection with the characters in that one because it didn't jump around quite as much as in his other books, and didn't end as suddenly, but had some conclusion to the different story lines.

sirens of titan needs to be renamed causality shits on you

the ending was so sad and yet bittersweet

PiptheFair on
    edited April 2010
    Like, there were conclusions that were not bad, but they just kind of happened.

I mean, I finished the book and was talking to one of my friends about it (who I borrowed the book from) and I was all bummed. Then I read the epilogue and I got all happy again, then the final final ending made me all doooooown again.

Not good for a post breakup read, hah

Wombat!! on
  • SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    SharpyVII on
  • mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    SharpyVII wrote: »

Did I see golems in that trailer

brb updating Amazon/Movies To Watch List

mensch-o-matic on
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm trying to find a collection of Jules Cheret's poster work; for such an influential man there are so, so few books. Only 1 on Amazon! Below it comes a list of Alphonse Mucha books. Mucha was important, but I'd say Cheret was more influential . . .

Muse Among Men on
  • SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    God damn love me some Vonnegut.

Sirens is my favourite. The version I got had a really nice cover. Purple with curved edges and the dog collar on it. Paperback, smells so nice.

SwissLion on
    ImWcN1I.png?3
    edited April 2010
    My GI tract has been in revolt since I finished A Confederacy of Dunces

This is irony, I think

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Right now I'm reading Infinite Jest for the second time, and finishing up Leaves of Grass and Walden. Just finished Girl with Curious Hair, Dharma Bums and a Philip Roth book, which bored me.

I like Vonnegut as much as the next guy. I got really into him hard and fast, though, and now his writing basically bores me -- he has such a consistent and strong voice that his authorial style occasionally suffocates the stories. This isn't intrinsically bad or anything, especially because I love experiments in voice, but whenever I pick up one of his books these days I'm basically like "oh, right, here we are." A friend of mine taking a Milan Kundera survey class describes feeling the same way, and he's on his fifth Kundera book in the semester.

just my two cents on vonnegut, is all

Charles Kinbote on
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    My GI tract has been in revolt since I finished A Confederacy of Dunces

This is irony, I think

Just find yer valve

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    want to see that movie so badly

Quoth on
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    we talking about Les Mis in here

I've never read the book but I'm writing a show about shows and I describe Javert as a French robot sent back from the lawless future to arrest everyone and give classical baritones a place in musical theatre

also the musical sorta sucks and Marius has no personality in it

YaYa on
  • MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yaya sometimes I wish I could just stifle your creativity

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
    edited April 2010
    trust me, for the most part it doesn't need your help

(I don't like Les Mis very much)

YaYa on
    edited April 2010
    Monkeyfeet let's make a new musical thread

YaYa on
  • celandinecelandine Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Cicero, "De Amicitia." So good, so true.
    I'm a baby at Latin so reading it in translation.

Also I want this goofy-ass shirt.
    marcus_tullius_cicero_philosopher_tshirt-p235719080330845773qrja_400.jpg

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    http://numberblog.wordpress.com/
    edited April 2010
    YaYa wrote: »

did you see Lea Michelle flashing her panties all over Rolling Stone?

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Monkeyfeet wrote: »
    YaYa wrote: »

did you see Lea Michelle flashing her panties all over Rolling Stone?

no

brb

YaYa on
  • 101101 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I haven't read anything in quite a while, which is a shame since I used to love reading.

Thinking I may re-read Flatland, which is awesome. Or pick up Animal Farm; haven't read it since my GCSE english class.

101 on
    edited April 2010
    001jpgphp.jpg

Behold

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
    edited April 2010
    awesome

god I hope they lose the auto-tune for the second half of the season

alternatively I hope Mr Schu gets punched in the face over and over again for being the worst director ever

YaYa on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I hope Glee gets cancelled

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2010
    I hope everyone has sex with everybody. Especially Artie!

e: eat my ass bale

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
This discussion has been closed.