As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Popular characters that you just aren't fond of.

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    They really had Tim beat Shiva? I love him but even I think that sounds silly. In Teen Titans he held his own against Deathstroke for about 10 seconds and then started getting the shit beat out of him until Bart came to his rescue.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    Both Bruce and Dick have said that Tim is smarter than the both of them.

Yeah, that's what I don't like. You like apples, and I like oranges.

But why?

They still have a fuckton more experience than him, so they're better at being superheroes.

It's just that, in the long run, he would/will be a better Batman

I don't like the fact that Tim, a nine year old boy, can figure out Batman's secret identity when the majority of the rest of the world can't seem to do it. It's the child genius trope that gets under my skin. They wanted to give him a backstory that connected him to batman, so they said he was at the circus the night Dick's parents were killed? Then Jeff comes in and saves Batman from himself by becoming Robin. Then Lady Shiva's all into him, and teaches him bo skills to the point where he beats her because he's just that good. He's better than everyone at everything, even if they're the best at something.

He wasn't 9, he was more like 15. And now he's like...uh...17. Thanks, comic book time!

He was at the circus because he was Dick Grayson's biggest fan. That's how he figured out their identities. He was basically a Dick fanboy (lol) and knew that three people could do the quadruple backflip or whatever the fuck it is, and two of them were twins in Russia. He knew Dick could do it, and then said "Wait, Dick Grayson is Bruce Wayne's ward. Bruce Wayne is rich as fuck. He could afford to be Batman."

He didn't beat Lady Shiva at fighting, he beat her at thinking. He carved his wooden bo-staff so that it would whistle and distract her from reading his movements. Shiva would tear him the fuck up normally.

Garlic Bread on
    edited April 2007
    He didn't beat Lady Shiva at fighting, he beat her at thinking. He carved his wooden bo-staff so that it would whistle and distract her from reading his movements. Shiva would tear him the fuck up normally.

Now that sounds like the Tim I know.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »

Now that sounds like the Tim I know.

It's from the first Robin mini-series. Bruce sends Tim to Europe to learn some meditation skills and then shit goes down.

It's quite good. I picked up the 4 issues (or was it 6?) for like a dollar total

Garlic Bread on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I don't know a lot about DC, but afaik Cass is the only person to ever beat Shiva in a straight up fight. And it took her more than one try too.

Scooter on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Tim beat Cass, too.

Of course, DC has been shitting on Cass since her series ended, so I'm kinda surprised she still knows how to fight at this point.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    edited April 2007
    I am pretty sure both Batman and Black Canary have managed it too.

Edit: If the Tim/Batgirl fight you are talking about is from OYL I'd say that again as more of him out thinking her than outfighting. Plus it could be argued that she's not at full capacity while under Deathstroke's drugs.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2007
    Batman beat her but she was under mind control

Black Canary didn't beat Shiva, she beat Shiva's sensei

edit: wait maybe she did beat shiva I don't know

edit edit: Wikipedia says "The only person other than Batman (whose defeat is questionable given that mind control could have been involved) who has ever defeated Lady Shiva in single combat was the fourth Batgirl, Cassandra Cain"

Garlic Bread on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The problem is Toji, it sounds like you hate any normal human being character who pushes his/her abilities to their zenith. Only characters who come by their super amazing awesome abilities by chance/gift/etc. are passable. This seems kind of absurd, because honestly there are so many people who can do far more than Tim.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I don't really hate any characters per se, just how they're written under certain authors.

Like Batman for instance. I hated him pre-IC, and I'm still not fond of him in anything not written by Dini, Dixon, or the JLU writers. He generally just carries on like an enormous dick 90% of the time, to the point that I'm praying for Superman to just twist his head off and throw his corpse into orbit. I also hate how he's gotten so enmeshed in sci-fi JLA style wackiness that he can throw down with Darkseid one day, and then have trouble with Killer Croc the next.

I really dislike Sasha Bordeaux, as she's basically just a giant Mary Sue for Rucka. I understand that Rucka likes writing kick-ass women (almost as much as Whedon) and generally I don't have a problem with it, but in this case the character just grates on my nerves. Luckily she's almost completely confined to Checkmate, so I don't have to read about her.

Renee Montoya, who I loved in GCPD, has now become terribly annoying to me in her new role, gained in 52.
    I still don't know why the fuck the Question sought her out to take over for him to begin with, why the fuck she accepted, and why the fuck DC would make such a move after the Question gained such a large following from JLU and 52.

Batwoman just pisses me off; she was promoted as a buxom lipstick lesbian by DC, slapped into a modified Batman Beyond costume with no official credit given to the show's art team or Bruce Timm, has shown no qualities that would make her suitable for the Bat-family, and generally just been a very bland, boring character who serves no purpose besides giving the forementioned Montoya someone to pine for.

Munch on
    edited April 2007
    Batman beat her but she was under mind control

Black Canary didn't beat Shiva, she beat Shiva's sensei

edit: wait maybe she did beat shiva I don't know

edit edit: Wikipedia says "The only person other than Batman (whose defeat is questionable given that mind control could have been involved) who has ever defeated Lady Shiva in single combat was the fourth Batgirl, Cassandra Cain"

You're right, BC has been trained by both Shiva and Shiva's sensei, but she's never beatern her 1on1.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Cable: I have a Rob Liefeld hate-on that will never allow me to like this character (should he ever become interesting, which hasn't happened yet).

174995418_b684d7a4f4_m.jpg

Wolverine: I liked the Hugh Jackman Wolverine in the films well enough, but I loathed this character and how he up-staged all the X titles for so many years. Oh, and the whole weeabo phase was wretched.

wolverine3.jpg

Batman: Hugely overated. I could like him if his more rabid fans weren't so stupid him and his capabilities.

x-batman-et-robin-cc1.jpg

Hal Jordan: Kyle Rayner 4ever.

rayner.jpg

Regina Fong on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Oh! I finally realized who I hate.

Batwoman and ZATANNA. Zatanna fills me with blood vessel bursting levels of fucking rage. Stupid stupid powers. "When all else fails, whip her out and have her say what you need doing BACKWARDS!". RRAAAGHH!

Munch summed up why I hate Batwoman. Hate her so much.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • RedeemerRedeemer Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    If Cable ever becomes interesting I'm searching for the dark wizard who managed to alter reality

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
    edited April 2007
    This thread is all about heroes so far, lets get some hate on for some shitty villians.

Gladiator (the Shi'ar one)
    Well he's not techinically a villian I guess, just an asshole.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Munch wrote: »
    Renee Montoya, who I loved in GCPD, has now become terribly annoying to me in her new role, gained in 52.
    I still don't know why the fuck the Question sought her out to take over for him to begin with, why the fuck she accepted, and why the fuck DC would make such a move after the Question gained such a large following from JLU and 52.

Batwoman just pisses me off; she was promoted as a buxom lipstick lesbian by DC, slapped into a modified Batman Beyond costume with no official credit given to the show's art team or Bruce Timm, has shown no qualities that would make her suitable for the Bat-family, and generally just been a very bland, boring character who serves no purpose besides giving the forementioned Montoya someone to pine for.

Im reserving judgement on both characters until I get something with more substance. Like an actual mini series. 52 wasn't the best venue to debut a character like Batwoman. ANd why should anyone give credit to Batman Beyond / Mystery of the Batwoman or Bruce Timm? The red and black coloring? Shit, I hope they get royalties for that. Unless the suit does this stuff -
    Enhanced strength by a factor of ten.
    Minimal reduction (or increase) in flexibility.
    Enhanced visual assistance that allows him to see in the dark (visual from the Batsuit can be fed back to the main computer in the Batcave; it can also receive visual from the main computer, allowing for superior tactical planning). The visor can also serve as digital binoculars and an infra-red filter.
    Personal communicator allows Terry to keep in constant contact with Bruce at the Batcave.
    Enhanced ballistic protection.
    Significantly resistant to heat, electricity, water, and vibrations, but only slightly resistant to radiation.
    Built-in rebreather for underwater combat/exploration.
    Dispensable Batarangs with a range of auxiliary functions, such as producing electric shocks. However, there is a limit to the amount of Batarangs the Batsuit can dispense; Batman has run out on at least one occasion.
    Electrical discharges throughout the suit that can be activated by pushing the button on the belt.
    Grappling guns built into the forearms.
    Flashbang grenades.
    Smoke pellets.
    Flexicuffs.
    Launchable tracers.
    A retractable PIN or password decipherer in the form of a key on the right index finger.
    Retractable wings under the arms to glide on.
    Rocket boots enabling limited flight.
    Electromagnetic pads in the soles of the boots.
    Sensitive touch microphone on index and middle fingers that permits eavesdropping through solid surfaces.
    Drug identifier, utilized by dipping fingers into the substance.
    Built-in cloaking device that enables almost complete camouflage (this function possibly consumes a good deal of the Batsuit's power, as Batman minimizes its usage). It allows camouflage extending into the visible light and infrared frequencies of the electromagnetic spectrum. A countermeasure used by Commissioner Barbara Gordon to this in one incident where she was hunting Batman down was through tracking him using an ultraviolet light to illuminate him. The origin of the cloaking device could be based on the failed light refractive polymer developed in the Batman: The Animated Series episode "See No Evil." The reason the invisibility plastic failed in the B:TAS episode was that sending electrical current through the material caused it to become toxic, affecting the mind as well as the body. This did not cause concern for an ex-con who made a suit and covered his car in the plastic, going on a crime spree and kidnapping his daughter. Regardless, the original Batman may have saved samples of the plastic and/or the research notes and resolved the toxicity issues, incorporating them into the Beyond Batsuit.
    Retractable claws which can be used to slice or facilitate climbing.
    Can uplink with the Batmobile for remote piloting.
    A remote kill function that can externally deactivate the suit from the Batcave.
    The belt buckle also serves as a buzz saw to get out of a room quickly or to cut through denser material.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This thread is all about heroes so far, lets get some hate on for some shitty villians.

Carnage. Cardiac.

I hate the entire Wolverine Sabretooth thing as well.
    Oh, and Professor Zoom.

Marathon on
    edited April 2007
    If it did she'd be a lot cooler. Honestly, I was just bugged that everyone was all, "Oh man look at this awesome suit designed by Alex fuckin' Ross. It's pretty cool right? Yeah, because Alex fuckin' Ross designed it. He paints things you know. And once, Alex fuckin' Ross went to the Sistien Chapel, and all the Italians in there were like, 'Yo dude, check it. Would you mind turning some of those angels into Bat-Mites and Mxyzptlks? Maybe turn God and Adam into Batman and Superman?' And Alex fuckin' Ross simply closed his eyes, said, 'I did it thirty-five minutes ago.' And he had. He came up with that line too."

I kinda got off on a tangent there. But yeah, I don't like Batwoman all that much.

Munch on
    edited April 2007
    Wow, there arent enough rotate smileys for that one.

Nutty.

Damnit, wheres that Billy Madison quote when I need it?

Bad Karma on
    edited April 2007
    I actually like Alex Ross if only because he disliked Identity Crisis almost as much as me.

Munch on
    edited April 2007
    Don wrote:
    Mr. Munch, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

I love that one.

Bad Karma on
    edited April 2007
    Hey, I remember when that joke was fresh and new. When I was nine years old. Twelve years ago. When the movie came out.

Munch on
    edited April 2007
    Hey, I remember when that joke was fresh and new. When I was nine years old. Twelve years ago. When the movie came out.

Uh oh ya got me.

Bad Karma on
    edited April 2007
    Oh Karma, what's happened to us?

Munch on
    edited April 2007
    Oh Karma, what's happened to us?

You did.

Bad Karma on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I kinda got off on a tangent there. But yeah, I don't like Batwoman all that much.

But does anyone? I mean, I'm sure there's probably a small group of people that like her just because she's gay (which is idiotic and retarded and something I could go on about for ages, but completely beside the point), but I've never seen anyone actually say they were fans of hers.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    edited April 2007
    Blackjack wrote: »

But does anyone? I mean, I'm sure there's probably a small group of people that like her just because she's gay (which is idiotic and retarded and something I could go on about for ages, but completely beside the point), but I've never seen anyone actually say they were fans of hers.

What she needs is time in one of the bat family books. We need a backstory and an explanation as to the link between her and the Bat title. 52 was the wrong venue choice for a new character like that.

Bad Karma on
    edited April 2007
    I feel completley indifferent about Batwoman because we know absolutley nothing about her.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    The problem is Toji, it sounds like you hate any normal human being character who pushes his/her abilities to their zenith. Only characters who come by their super amazing awesome abilities by chance/gift/etc. are passable. This seems kind of absurd, because honestly there are so many people who can do far more than Tim.

That is not what I said, and not what I think. Tim is a special case. It's not the fact that he doesn't have fantastic powers, but rather his being inserted somewhere in a way that I find awkward.

People who are really good at being smart or skilled aren't always written like Mary Sue characters.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Servo wrote: »
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Slagmire wrote: »
    Spider-Man: Hey Spider-Man? Penance and Spawn just called, they would like some of their emo back please.
    Given that Spidey LENT IT TO THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE, I would think they can go fuck themselves.

man, no kidding

spider-man's the original meal deal of superheroes with crappy lives

(except when he marries a supermodel)

Yeah but she's his sloppy seconds. Imagine marrying your sloppy seconds. Teh emo.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2007
    Like Batman for instance. I hated him pre-IC, and I'm still not fond of him in anything not written by Dini, Dixon, or the JLU writers. He generally just carries on like an enormous dick 90% of the time

wevegotamancrushherepeople.jpg

Garlic Bread on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Servo wrote: »
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Slagmire wrote: »
    Spider-Man: Hey Spider-Man? Penance and Spawn just called, they would like some of their emo back please.
    Given that Spidey LENT IT TO THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE, I would think they can go fuck themselves.

man, no kidding

spider-man's the original meal deal of superheroes with crappy lives

(except when he marries a supermodel)

Yeah but she's his sloppy seconds. Imagine marrying your sloppy seconds. Teh emo.

Sloppy seconds? Come now, come now. Also, emo? That goddamn internet term is getting dismissive and gay. Parker isn't assertive lately (or fuck, ever), but emo just doesn't fit. The black outfit isn't him becoming emo, so much as it's him becoming proactive and ready to throw trucks at your goofy ass should you see fit to fuck with his personal life.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Neliwood wrote: »

The Green Lantern Corps is badass. For one, one of the members is a gigantic fucking planet. Two, the rings are based off of the wielders' willpower and ability to conquer fear, so most of the Corps have to be close to badass by definition. They're not magic rings, they're just incredibly advanced and have to be charged, have limits, etc. Three, one of the members is a gigantic fucking planet. To close:

i guess thats true. kind of like wizards who have staves. they use power within to intensify their magic wands and staves. waitaminute...kind of like...magic green rings...

green lantern is a crappy toon TO ME. and the corps made it 10x worse. a thousand magic rings with a thousand giant fists beating up bank robbers. no thanks.

although planets are cool.

For villians I really dislike Baron Mordo. not popular so much but it bugged me how Strange considered him his arch-nemesis when he was always beat down like a chump and would somehow kind of keep up with the doctor's ever expanding powers with no explanation or work. It took away from the neat-o experiences he would have from other-dimensional beings who were far more interesting.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
    edited April 2007
    Sonos wrote: »
    Neliwood wrote: »

The Green Lantern Corps is badass. For one, one of the members is a gigantic fucking planet. Two, the rings are based off of the wielders' willpower and ability to conquer fear, so most of the Corps have to be close to badass by definition. They're not magic rings, they're just incredibly advanced and have to be charged, have limits, etc. Three, one of the members is a gigantic fucking planet. To close:

i guess thats true. kind of like wizards who have staves. they use power within to intensify their magic wands and staves. waitaminute...kind of like...magic green rings...

green lantern is a crappy toon TO ME. and the corps made it 10x worse. a thousand magic rings with a thousand giant fists beating up bank robbers. no thanks.

Hal Jordan is the one with the fists and he's a boring dick and please don't base opinions of the Corps on Hal

Garlic Bread on
  • SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    he did have really nice hair. i will give him that. no superman hair but definately top five.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
    edited April 2007
    Like Batman for instance. I hated him pre-IC, and I'm still not fond of him in anything not written by Dini, Dixon, or the JLU writers. He generally just carries on like an enormous dick 90% of the time

wevegotamancrushherepeople.jpg

I have to say, that's the first thing that I've read that really made me like Jaime. And yeah, it was neat seeing Batman use all that experience with hanging out with teenage sidekicks to relate to Jaime better, and showing his softer side.

Munch on
    edited April 2007
    They are not intensifying shit. Jesus you are like borderline retarded. The rings are weapons built by the Guardians of Oa, there is a central power battery that powers the rings and they must be recharged on a frequent basis. What the rings do is make the will of the bearers manifest.

Magic has a defined role in the DCU and what is and isn't magic is pretty fucking clear. I could go around saying mutants are wizards and Cyclops is casting a spell when he uses optic blasts, but saying that would make me a retard.

And they dont beat up bank robbers, they are an intergalactic police force.

Edit: shutup Keith, Hal is actually interesting now. And Kyle and Jon are still around and Guy dosent have lame Warrior powers so quit complaining

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2007
    Edit: shutup Keith, Hal is actually interesting now. And Kyle and Jon are still around and Guy dosent have lame Warrior powers so quit complaining

No he's not

Also: John

Jon's the jewish guy on TV

Garlic Bread on
    edited April 2007
    Keith I am confounded by your irrational hate of Hal and Zod.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2007
    it's not irrational, they're both just so incredibly boring

Garlic Bread on