As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MOBA DOBA] Super League of Legends II: Turbo Championship Edition (ChaosHat Edition)

TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Games and Technology
uhh... yeah, i stole the character screen thing from the SF4 thread.
title.jpg

Okay, League of Legends is a [vidurl="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXKd7uuehlw"]DotA-style game[/vidurl] and it's FREE. The community is known to be a little less harsh than the standard DotA/HoN ones; but, you will still run across a fair amount of mouth-breathing silly geese. If you hang out with the PAers, though, we're usually pretty damn inviting (and so fucking cool, especially MooMan). AND IT'S FREE!!! Well... mostly. Here's the skinny: They have 10 free rotating champions that you can choose from, if you want to 'buy' champions permanently you can do that with Riot Points (RP) or Influence Points (IP). You get RP with real cash dollars, and RP prices are usually lower than IP prices. You gain IP for just playing game, when you finish a game you'll get IP points based on how well you did in the game. You can also purchase Ruins. Ruins and Masteries are applied before the game and make your champions stronger, this is referred to as the Summoner meta-game. You gain levels as you play as well which opens up the ability to put more runes and masteries to work for you. That's the quick and dirty of the game. If you're completely new to this style of game, check out the new player stuff on the Riot site.

Here's your standard, wiki-stolen background:
Two main designers for the popular Warcraft III custom map, Defense of the Ancients: Allstars (commonly abbreviated as DotA), Steve "Guinsoo" Feak and Steve “Pendragon” Mescon are involved with Riot Games in the making of League Of Legends: Clash of Fates[6]. Guinsoo created DotA: Allstars from the original DotA, created by Eul, by adding his own mix of content, including over 40 heroes, numerous items, and various gameplay changes. Guinsoo then passed DotA: Allstars on to its current developer, Icefrog. Pendragon, who is the Director of Community Relations for Riot Games, helped create the DotA: Allstars website along with its forums, and is still currently working on League of Legends: Clash of Fates.

HANG OUT IN THE PENNY-ARCADE VENT TO GET GAMES!!! It's the easiest way to get going with us, just show up and ask if anyone is looking.
If you can't find any there check out the LoL vent (https://beta.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=6) and you can probably scrounge up a pre-made.

MooMan is known for listening to some bangin' tunes, so he's been nice enough to provide some music for you to listen to while you read up on the champions below.
The Champions
Click for more information
alistar.jpgamumu.jpganivia.jpgannie.jpgashe.jpgblitzcrank.jpgchogath.jpg
corki.jpgdrmundo.jpgevelynn.jpgezreal.jpgfiddlesticks.jpggaren.jpggragas2.jpg
gangplank.jpgheimerdinger.jpgjanna.jpgjax.jpgkarthus.jpgkassadin.jpgkatarina.jpg
kayle.jpgkennen.jpgmalphite.jpgmasteryi.jpgmordekaiser2.jpgmorgana.jpgnasus.jpg
nidalee.jpgnunu.jpgpantheon2.jpgpoppy.jpgrammus.jpgryze.jpgshaco.jpg
shen.jpgsinged.jpgsion.jpgsivir.jpgsoraka.jpgtaric.jpgteemo.jpg
tristana.jpgtryndamere.jpgtwistedfate.jpgtwitch.jpgudyr.jpgveigar.jpgwarwick.jpg
zilean.jpg

People that are playing, and that you might also want to play with:
PM me if you want to be added to the list, I'm probably not going to be able to pick up every in-thread request.
TyrantCow : MooMan
FightTest : FightTest
fadingathedges : fadingathedges
undeinpirat : undeinpirat
zanmatto : ParanoidDroid
Zombiemambo : EssGee
Cohsae : Cohsae
Nisi : Nisi
Sirson : Sirson
Originate : Originate
DebaserZbs : DebaserZbs
Endomatic : Barnabus
I needed a name to post : Pterodactyl Man
Zek : Zeyk
klok : fastpaced
ParisInFlames : skoot
Stolls : Karlinn
fmz65 : SensAZNal
UrQuanLord88 : urquan
TheSuperWoot : MelancholyMark
Lehman : Draggan
CharlesVI : CharlesVI
Bendery It Like Beckham : Bendery
DustedForLife : DustedAgain
Zoelef : Zoelef
soggychicken : soggychicken
Peas : jyajin
Custom Special : F4ll0ut
alset85 : alseT
king awesome : kingawesome
Mightyhog : Agreedo
Houn : Houn
In Starscream We Trust : In Starscream We Trust
TriadFate : TriadFate
Drakmathus : Drakmathus
Bardi : Bardi
MinionOfCthulhu : MinionOfCthulhu
Hrage : friedriceyum
Esc.Hatch : Hatch
distracted : Distracted
Feldorn : Mortenya
Adus : Adus
BaronVonNub : BaronVonNub
Zero-Control : ZeroControl
RawrBear : RawrBear
hiigaran : hiigaran
Thrawn200 : Mitthrawnuruodo
Seran : Seran
Colt : TheDeathJester
PolloDiablo : PolloDiablo
Slicer : Srice
Fiaryn : Fiaryn
Dracil : Dracil
Zalin : Zalin
Camui : Sogedan
Chubbly : Chubbly
Mugaaz : Mugaaz
Pyromaniac221 : abstrakt11
Shade : Hardcannon
nome : xcletus
Arch : Zinnar
Pmoney : Pmoney
Fleck0 : flecko
Saphier : errant
Thor1590 : Aphrodesizach19
PJStelford : PJStelford
Reagan : Reagan
programjunkie: Wicked Demiurge
Niqle : Niqle
nealcm : Alvarian
Tiger Burning : Tiger Burning
facetious : Bonhomie
Verr : verr
cutfang : Dancing Bagel
cwapfobrains : infobrains
Manetherenwolf : Manetherenwolf
Banana-Man : SaintAugustine
Evil Weevil : Evil Weevil
Karnius : Karnius
Nanaki : Nanaki

Last thread we tried to get an idea of the amount of people who would be interested in a PA Tournament. The turnout was poor, I am disappointed with you all.

Also, here's a picture of BigWah's adorable kid that he may or may not have had considerable disagreements with in the past:
pa310620.jpg

Long live the Bearcock!

TyrantCow on

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh hey it's little bearcock

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    MouschiMouschi Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    so I heard mooman's pretty good at this game

can anyone confirm or deny this rumor?

Mouschi on
    1848717-1.png
    Gamertag: Cunning Hekate // League of Legends: FeroxPA
  • Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    mooman is terrible

Feldorn on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The only thing in this game that genuinely pisses me off and makes me froth with rage is when my teammates run from obvious 3v1 advantages when the other two opponents are dead.

I want to punch a baby when that happens. Especially when I die because of it, and then they come back mere seconds after I die, having softened up that which was making them shit their pants, and then they kill it.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    CutfangCutfang Dancing Bagel WalessssssssRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Mooman you didn't put my name on the list. You are a terrible terrible person.

Cutfang on
    Dancing Bagel
  • Options
    FalstaffFalstaff Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This thread needs more Singed.

312e302e302e38312d3237.jpg

"How did that taste?"

Falstaff on
    Still verbing the adjective noun.
  • Options
    NisiNisi Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Nice referral code mooman :p

Nisi on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Cutfang wrote: »
    Mooman you didn't put my name on the list. You are a terrible terrible person.

probably because you never asked me to.

there.

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Not sure if I want to buy Gragas or save the points for the new midget ninja guy. On the one hand, Gragas, on the other hand another short ass character.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Jasconius wrote: »
    The only thing in this game that genuinely pisses me off and makes me froth with rage is when my teammates run from obvious 3v1 advantages when the other two opponents are dead.

I want to punch a baby when that happens. Especially when I die because of it, and then they come back mere seconds after I die, having softened up that which was making them shit their pants, and then they kill it.

I actually don't mind that as much as I mind the inverse: players bitching at me because I ran from a 4v2 next to their innermost tower, and so that guy died.

No, you silly goose, you died because it was a 4v2 with an easy retreat back past their tower for them, and I lived because I ran the fuck away.

Mouschi on
    1848717-1.png
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sham on you and your early thread, Moo. SHAM!

Also, I like the new OP. The last one sucked bearcock.
    I think I'm going to start playing more Taric, because 'truly, truly, truly, truly, truly, truly' etc.

edit: Fight, save for Kennen, because he sounds awesome. But I am confused, because the character art makes me think girl, but the lore on the character says 'he.' Whatever, he still looks pgood.

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I had just the most epic blitzcrank arm pull on TT

Totally dominated this team.... 20 kills to their 3.

The ashe was tower hugging at full heath on the north side of the top tower.

So I ping everyone to come around to the back alley. We make it to the grass unnoticed, I edge as close as I can for what is still a beyond max distance arm pull.

Zoink! Ashe arrives, is popped up, and dies promptly

[All] Ashe: gtfo!

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    he's a catgirl.

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    this is how you know you're awesome.

great.jpg

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    1:00: First Blood!
    1:01: MooMan has been slain by Nisi

Jasconius on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    sooo close to twitch

and yet, 2 bad pugs far

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    1:00: First Blood!
    1:01: MooMan has been slain by Nisi

greatend.jpg

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    If guys want to continue to make all physical teams, that's fine, I'll just keep using blitzcrank and rush frozen heart and thornmail.

You can't afford to let me live. You can't afford to kill me, hahahahhaha

Jasconius on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Just won a TT with an insufferable Ezreal

Dude spent the whole game trashtalking the enemy team and then stopped pushing after we got both inhibitors down because he wanted to "build him"

He spends the next 5-10 minutes jungling and then when we try to push their nexus the enemy team aces us twice because he's too busy trying to pad his kill stat on enemies that can walk two steps to get healed instead of trying to burn down the last tower

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    1:00 WARWICK HAS BEEN HUMILIATED

freaking TT, it's treated me well generally but sometimes I get the WORST

Mouschi on
    1848717-1.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    So guys I was just in a TT and our ryze was DCed for the first 10 minutes of the game

but we lost because I fed them

with 1 more death than either of them.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    NisiNisi Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    TT is so imbalanced, but if you play the right champs, quick wins.

Nisi on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Falstaff wrote: »

"How did that taste?"

MIX MIX SWIRL MIX

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I had just the most epic blitzcrank arm pull on TT

Totally dominated this team.... 20 kills to their 3.

The ashe was tower hugging at full heath on the north side of the top tower.

So I ping everyone to come around to the back alley. We make it to the grass unnoticed, I edge as close as I can for what is still a beyond max distance arm pull.

Zoink! Ashe arrives, is popped up, and dies promptly

[All] Ashe: gtfo!

the best blitzcrank pulls are the ones that outright kill people without them being pulled because they had low health

i did this to a ryze who was porting back, and he didn't really panic because he didn't think i could get him, and truthfully i didn't think i'd hit him either

since blitz's range is so OP (and you can grab people outside your radius) i took the chance and when he was a little outside of my blue circle i went for the grab

[all] Me: SLAPKILL

the best part was i turned around in the river and saw an ezreal with low health and tried to grab him about 15 seconds later

[all] Me: THE DOUBLE SLAPKILL

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The mental image I have of Blitzecrank extending his mighty metal fist just to slap a fool is so awesome.

[robot voice] BITCH UNIT. WHERE IS MY MONEY? [/robot voice]

Falstaff on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    [robot voice] BITCH UNIT [/robot voice]

this got me

man did this get me

that was hilarious

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    Mobile-DMobile-D Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    LoL1.jpg

Every day, I come home. Full of anticipation.

Anticipation to see what joys the internet will bring to me today.

I am rarely disappointed . . .

Mobile-D on
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think I did okay here
    nida.jpg

It never was even close. Excluding for their Ez they were all pretty good. Except that any time they got below half health, tower or no tower, I destroyed them. Cho was beefy but baiting him far enough from the tower meant I had a long time to whittle him down to a bloody pulp.

Meanwhile, with the exception of our Malph my team was basically worthless.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

"How did that taste?"

I concur.

Incidentally, I'm still devouring faces with your build. I was doing very well when playing the with guys on vent, getting matched up with 30s (I just hit 24 in my game that just ended*) - since I've been playing more solo queue the last couple days since I went back to work after my vacation for PAX and I don't want to be talking while the family sleeps when I get home from work, I've been utterly annihilating. Almost all my games have been wins in under 35 minutes with me ending up with carry ratios.

*7/2/10, 33 minute nexus destruction.

Though to be fair, I'm sure my elo hasn't recovered from when I first started playing. This was my first MOBA, so it was a... learning experience. (I just finally surpassed a 1:1 w/l ratio. And I'm still a fair bit behind that for k/d as Singed, though my assists trump both, of course.)

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    i just played with a karthus who was absolutely DESTROYING

we were team AOE, karthus, mordekaiser, sion shield, me as AP ezreal (pretty much my only use was lining up a trueshot barrage to hit all 5 of them so they were almost dead for a requiem) and morgana

he had more than one quadra kill

he went 19/0/15

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    facetious wrote: »

"How did that taste?"

I concur.

Incidentally, I'm still devouring faces with your build. I was doing very well when playing the with guys on vent, getting matched up with 30s (I just hit 24 in my game that just ended*) - since I've been playing more solo queue the last couple days since I went back to work after my vacation for PAX and I don't want to be talking while the family sleeps when I get home from work, I've been utterly annihilating. Almost all my games have been wins in under 35 minutes with me ending up with carry ratios.

Though to be fair, I'm sure my elo hasn't recovered from when I first started playing. This was my first MOBA, so it was a... learning experience. (I just finally surpassed a 1:1 w/l ratio. And I'm still a fair bit behind that for k/d as Singed, though my assists trump both, of course.)

Breaking 1:1 KD as a tank isn't easy - especially if you're mostly solo queuing and it's a champion you've done a lot of learning with. I didn't manage it on Singed until about a week after hitting 30, mostly because the first half of my LoL career was spent racking up retarded deaths while trying to start team fights against max level tryhards.

Mad Scientist solidarity.

Falstaff on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    This is random, nealcm, but when I was at PAX I went into PC freeplay and played some TF2. The guy who'd been using the computer before my was using the alias Flippy_D. WAS IT THE FLIPPY_D?

facetious on
    Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    edited April 2010
    I spent all day building up a healthy W/L ratio only to have it completely shattered by my friends 14 year old tag-along who apparently doesn't know what a minimap is.

I hate being nice.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

"How did that taste?"

I concur.

Breaking 1:1 KD as a tank isn't easy - especially if you're mostly solo queuing and it's a champion you've done a lot of learning with. I didn't manage it on Singed until about a week after hitting 30, mostly because the first half of my LoL career was spent racking up retarded deaths while trying to start team fights against max level tryhards.

Mad Scientist solidarity.

For a tank with high KB potential try Blitzcrank. Q + R + E = destruction. Very few good reliable counters... and best of all he can be quite a force without any sort of AP focus.

I build him straight resists and HP and have gone 7-10 kills.

I personally don't understand Singe. He seems like a finesse character, and I have no patience for that!

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    You know what I love? When your team just keeps focusing Mordekaiser despite the fact HE IS COMPLETELY INVINCIBLE AND THEY HAVE SQUISHY CARRIES DOING ALL THE DAMAGE.

facetious on
    Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You know what I love? When your team just keeps focusing Mordekaiser despite the fact HE IS COMPLETELY INVINCIBLE AND THEY HAVE SQUISHY CARRIES DOING ALL THE DAMAGE.

Silly pubbers. Mord is a great focus target with 0 metal and no shield spell, and terrible under the opposite conditions.

Edit: Also, 12/1/6 with Shen gets you a lot of friend requests. And I love that damn Zil. He had at least 3 clutch ults. Heroes who make you immune to death are good.

programjunkie on
  • Options
    cwapfobrainscwapfobrains Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I fully endorse the Ratatat in the OP. Awesome song, great album.

Went home for easter though, so only LoL I've played was a practice game on my laptop as Ezrael. I like him, something about hitting skillshots is very satisfying.

cwapfobrains on
    camo_sig.png
    LoL Summoner: infobrains | XBL: cwap4brains | PSN: infobrains
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hilarious.

I'm the closest thing my team has to a tank as Mundo but they will never, ever follow me as I feebly initiate. I end up going 2/10/something. It was terrible.

BUT. One time they actually back me up in a teamfight and we ace the other team and I just megatank the second bottom tower, the inner tower, and both nexus towers and we drop their Nexus just as they start respawning.

So basically get fucked all game long but have the tanking/damage to burn down 6 buildings in the course of an ace to win an otherwise pretty bad game.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Singed on TT is unlike anything I've ever played before.

It's like orgasm.
    No wait.. it IS orgasm.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    4rch3nemy wrote: »
    Singed on TT is unlike anything I've ever played before.

It's like orgasm.
    No wait.. it IS orgasm.

I played a series of 8 TT games as Singed tonight. Not a single loss. It's so easy that it's not even fun anymore.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
This discussion has been closed.