As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Just Roll

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    oh, so it is!

Pony on
  • Options
    alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Working on my char sheet, it is slow goings with this twice-damned book.

What is the value of size?!

alternatingAberration on
    xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Added my specialties.

Kro, Human adults are 5 in Size.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Melding wrote: »
    That'd be neat, though kinda small isn't it? maybe if you could network a bunch so you can interact on the map so you don't got like 5 dudes looking at one screen.

Then it would be like playing DnD in star trek.

Well unless you're fighting on a huge bit of terrain it you could always zoom in/out & pan around the battlemap.

While we're dreaming, they could create a character sheet client for the iPod Touch and iPhone that holds each individual character's info & powers that they could select and use, like how Scrabble for the iPad can use 'em to hold your letter tiles.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    There's the size chart! Hah!

alternatingAberration on
    xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i meant the screen is small. That is the base on my concern.

Melding on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm curious

maybe I'm opening old wounds here
    but whatever happened to Unified?

like last I heard pony had a crapload of real issues pop up that kept him from throwing a lot of time away on some forum thing and that's okay but I'd have figured that some enterprising fellow or coalition of fellows would have picked up the torch

I just keep seeing the link still in DarkPrimus' sig and thinking "Dang, that'd be cool"

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    by the way guys, don't forget to pick a Profession from Hunter: The Vigil. This gives you a bonus Specialization chosen from that Profession's key skills.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    I'm curious

maybe I'm opening old wounds here
    but whatever happened to Unified?

like last I heard pony had a crapload of real issues pop up that kept him from throwing a lot of time away on some forum thing and that's okay but I'd have figured that some enterprising fellow or coalition of fellows would have picked up the torch

I just keep seeing the link still in DarkPrimus' sig and thinking "Dang, that'd be cool"

i could never get the mechanics to work right, and that was sort of critical. Additionally, putting together a collection of all the lore and shit proved to be too large a project for me.

thematically, Unified was a giant mess. i pulled inspiration and reference material from all over the place and sorta shotgunned them together and it was a giant incoherent mess

i've put Unified behind me, i consider it a mistake that i learned a bit from, but still ultimately a mistake

Pony on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    well, to be fair, it might have been a giant incoherent mess, but it was a giant incoherent mess with a totally rockin' concept for some kind of forumwide PnP dealie

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    ok how do you like this

Jenny Roakes was a second year grad student at MIT. Not really the brightest girl on campus, but apparently it isn't rocket science to get into MIT's department of animal science, especially when your focus is applied swine nutrition. Ever since starting college, she felt a little uneasy about how poor and unhip she was in comparison to her peers, and she tried to make up for it by being willing to do all the bitch work nobody else wanted to do.

That's probably why she agreed to work an unpaid internship at Prairie State Semen Inc. After all, pig semen was basically where the money was anyway, and maybe she could get some networking connections for after college.

Unfortunately, her compensating behavior could lead her into some less than safe situations. That's how she became a minor martyr in the animal rights movement. She was the only member of the staff short enough, flat chested enough, and possibly stupid enough to crawl into the pen of the heaviest pig ever produced by the farm when it managed to get one of its feet caught (more like forced) through a poop slat. When the pig panicked, it's hypermuscular body managed to break all four of it's legs, coming down on Jenny and suffocating her to death in a matter of minutes.

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    zoel you are trying too hard

Pony on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That is somewhat discomfitting

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Pony wrote: »
    zoel you are trying too hard

girls say that to me a lot

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "Suffocating her to death" is redundant, like "killing her to death" or "drowning her to death."

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    basically, your backstory doesn't need to define your character, nor does it need to be something that unique and bizarre

nor does the death associated with your character

think: horror movie protagonist

Pony on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    you can suffocate without dying, you know

that is an appropriate use of the term

Zoel on
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i killed a guy to death once, just to see if i could.

Melding on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Nevermind Unified, EPIC was pretty fucking solid

Did that stand for anything?

Every Plane In Chaos

Essentially Pyrotechnics Immolate Characters

Eventually Pony Is Cheering

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    a friend of mine gave me baldurs gate one and two. What do you guys make of those video games

FAQ on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Edcrab wrote: »

Every Plane In Chaos

it stood for the four types of Attributes/Challenges in the game

ie the four things it was actually used for

Expertise, Prowess, Influence, and Combat (which was renamed "Conflict" in the revision I did a while back)

i actually did a new version of EPIC a while ago, i just never posted it because nobody cared the first time i posted EPIC and since i don't have any plans to run anything with it besides my The Alternates campaign which i may or may not do in the future, it probably won't get posted any time soon either

it's never been playtested, so i dunno!

Pony on
  • Options
    CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hmmmm, this looks interesting and fun, but also full...

Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Edited my sheet, picked a profession (Technician), etc.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    good show, old bean

Pony on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Zoel wrote: »

According to Webster's, suffocate as an intransitive verb means "to kill by asphyxiation."

It's used as a transitive verb more broadly.

I'm no English major, but I think it's an intransitive in the above phrase.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Terrendos wrote: »

According to Webster's, suffocate as an intransitive verb means "to kill by asphyxiation."

It's used as a transitive verb more broadly.

I'm no English major, but I think it's an intransitive in the above phrase.

terrendos shut up

seriously

what the fuck are you doing

Pony on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Pony wrote: »
    Edcrab wrote: »

Every Plane In Chaos

it stood for the four types of Attributes/Challenges in the game

ie the four things it was actually used for

Expertise, Prowess, Influence, and Combat (which was renamed "Conflict" in the revision I did a while back)

i actually did a new version of EPIC a while ago, i just never posted it because nobody cared the first time i posted EPIC and since i don't have any plans to run anything with it besides my The Alternates campaign which i may or may not do in the future, it probably won't get posted any time soon either

it's never been playtested, so i dunno!

Obviously the first time you posted EPIC the forum crit failed their appreciating awesome stuff check

It was a very flexible system (by which I mean you could do pretty much fucking anything with it) and I remember putting together a bunch of builds just to try it out

Dammit, forum

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    be nice to me :(

Zoel on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    the new version of EPIC is a lot better

i basically learned a lot from other systems and incorporated other ideas, changed how the dice operated, etc.

it's pretty good now, i came up with a whole campaign setting to test it with and all, i just don't feel like running it right now so i am doing Hunter instead

Pony on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Heh, fair enough

Maybe by then I'll be around to make a character and participate

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm up for some huntery action.
    Adrian Vance never had to worry about getting a job, as an heir to successful software company he was financially taken care of and spent most of his time at bars and clubs. Party all night, sleep all day, sneak a few hours in at the gym and then back to partying. His biggest concerns were who was sleeping with whom, keeping up to date with the latest rumors, and winning the occasional bar fight.

After one particularly long night of drinking with the local crowd Adrian drove himself home and passed out in his bed. He didn’t wake up the next morning, having died from carbon monoxide poisoning due to a faulty heating unit.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=197656

I've never used myth-weavers before.. hopefully I linked it properly there.

RawrBear on
  • Options
    DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh what the hell.

URL="http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=197219"]Character Sheet[/URL
    Esmeraldrey (blame her parents) Sandford was what you might consider an "up-and-coming" celebrity. She grew up in California, in the shadow of Hollywood, dreaming every day of one day being movie star or a pop idol, or what have you - the actual nature of her daydreamed fame changed from day to day, and occasionally from moment to moment.

Luckily for Esmeraldrey, she actually had the talent to back up a lot of those dreams, even if she was, well, not the brightest cookie in the cake box. She moved to Hollywood proper when she turned 18, and spent the next three years playing low-pay bit parts in sitcoms, police procedurals, and made-for-TV science fiction movies. Her last movie, however, was something special - a "bold" new director on the indie circuit had contacted her, and cast her as the lead in what was, remarkably, actually a pretty decent movie. It could've been something really grand, if Esmeraldrey hadn't die a three fourths of the way through filming. Nothing special, just a car accident a few blocks away from the set. She'd gone to get lunch and ended up being carted away to the morgue.

The director decided to go to press anyway, and completed the film as best he could. It became a bit of a cult smash, and Esmeraldrey's death was widely hailed as a "terrible tragedy", and she was dubbed a "rising star, gone too soon".

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    alright last shot

Lisa Grantham was a college drop out who worked in a childs clothing store at a mall a few towns down from hers, did some baby sitting when she got the chance. She spent most of her free time going to bars, playing Karaoke, and being a hipster socialite. She learned how not to text and drive the hard way.

Zoel on
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I suppose Hank's profession is clearly Criminal

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    alright last shot

Lisa Grantham was a college drop out who worked in a childs clothing store at a mall a few towns down from hers, did some baby sitting when she got the chance. She spent most of her free time going to bars, playing Karaoke, and being a hipster socialite. She learned how not to text and drive the hard way.

only thing off about that that I can think of, is the "working at a mall a few towns away" bit.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    just seems odd to me

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    alright last shot

only thing off about that that I can think of, is the "working at a mall a few towns away" bit.

well I live in the south

this is pretty common

I don't know many people with sub 50 mile commutes who work retail. It's kind of a minor detail.

Zoel on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    alright last shot

well I live in the south

this is pretty common

I don't know many people with sub 50 mile commutes who work retail. It's kind of a minor detail.

fair enough

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Krosius wrote: »
    Frank Nealson was an electrical engineer settled comfortably into a life of adequacy, repairing electrical lines and transformers on telephone poles out in bum-fuck nowhere west Texas at the ripe age of 31. A scientific mind , he had always delved into science fiction and the like with an overwhelming hunger tempered by a level-headed working ethic. However, due to some financial complications he was unable to complete college, landing him in his current occupation.

So there he was, on a hot summer day in July, strapped to a telephone pole reading Asimov after successfully repairing the damaged transformer. He found it pretty calming up there most times.

It was shame he got so wrapped up in that story though.

His charred body was found a week after the storm, hanging by the harness.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=197646

Done and done.

alternatingAberration on
    xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    hey

anybody around on AIM or whatever who wants to help a dude put together his character, I haven't created a WoD character in over five years, no joke, and not under the New WoD.

Abracadaniel on
This discussion has been closed.