As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cannot open "Game Controllers" under Windows XP

SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG!Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I think that's what it's called in English? This is my parent's computer, which has everything in Spanish.

Anyways, it's the icon under Control Panel that lets you see your gamepads/joysticks. If I double click on it, nothing happens apparently, and then 10 minutes later the window shows up, but it's frozen and trying to use it will just make the "This program is not responding" pop up.

Will getting rundll32.exe from another computer fix this? Or what can I do to fix it? Computer is virus free. Also another dumb problem it has is that most USB devices fail on it. My Creative ZEN, etc... Is there a way of completely removing all USB related drivers? I've reinstalled the chipset drivers but it doesn't fix it.

Motherboard is a Gigabyte-M61PME.

Satsumomo on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Go into device manager (right click my computer->manage) and on the side you'll see devices. Remove your USB drivers and then reboot. See if that helps.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    No dice, no changes. The USB gamepad shows as "Installed successfully" and then suddenly I get a "One of your USB devices has not been recognized by Windows". Same thing happens wth the Zen.

Still can't open game controllers.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Welp, I gave up and formatted my machine.

Installed a fresh copy of Win XP Pro.

Guess what? Exact. Same. Problem.

Seems to be that this motherboard just doesn't like XP, or it's faulty.

Satsumomo on