As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Just Cause 2: This game is still awesome

FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night manChampion of the sunRegistered User regular
edited July 2011 in Games and Technology
jc22.jpg
Wikipedia wrote:
Just Cause 2 is a sandbox-style action video game. It was released in North America on March 23, 2010, by Swedish developer Avalanche Studios and Eidos Interactive, published by Square Enix. It is the sequel to the 2006 video game Just Cause.

Just Cause 2 employs Avalanche Engine 2.0; an updated version of the engine used in Just Cause. The game is set on the other side of the world from the original Just Cause on the fictional tropical island of Panau in Southeast Asia. Rico Rodriguez returns as the protagonist, aiming to overthrow the evil dictator Pandak "Baby" Panay and confront his former boss, Tom Sheldon.

Wait, is this game any good?

Well, watch some of these videos and see for yourself. But really, this game is good. This thread (and the one(s) before it) is full of PAers giddily relaying their excited stories about their exploits on Panau island. Don't you want to revel in glee at the chaos and destruction you cause? Well, don't you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3rSSd0opis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEml-X4n9KQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TvKUjgE6y8#
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw6AmO-0kbk
Wikipedia wrote:
The game-play is similar to that of its predecessor, in which the player is free to roam the game's open world at will, without having to focus on the game's storyline, much similar to that of other sandbox style action games, like Mercenaries.

Several new additions and improvements to the game were explained by the lead designer of the game, Peter Johansson. The AI has been rewritten to use a planning system which enables enemies to do all sorts of new things. For example, the enemies will use the environment to their advantage, taking cover behind objects, and adapting dynamically to the objects around them. The hybrid aiming system is also a new feature that helps the player to quickly aim at enemies while leaving the player in full control over the cross-hair; as such, the player is rewarded for skilled manual aiming. It also enables you to pinpoint specific limbs manually and have varied crippling effects on the enemy. Just Cause 2 also has an adaptive difficulty system, gradually scaling the difficulty as the player does more in the game.

The game takes place on the fictional island of Panau, situated in the Malay Archipelago. It is geographically similar to both New Zealand and Hawaii.

There are several new weapons in Just Cause 2, such as a rocket launcher with laser-controlled rockets, a one-handed grenade launcher, remote-triggered C4, and a detachable mounted minigun. There are several new vehicles, including a Boeing 737. There is a greater difference in the handling of different vehicles. Ground surfaces now have a large influence on the player's controls (e.g. while a sports car may be suitable for driving on a flat road, it is not particularly suitable for off-road driving). There is also a real-time deformation system and moving parts that can come loose from vehicles.

The player must acquire weapons and vehicles in the field of their own accord, as Rico doesn't have official support from the agency in this game, but later information revealed you can acquire weapons and vehicles off the black market.

Early in the game the player contacts a black market supplier, from whom weapons can be purchased and vehicles and get them delivered to the player's location via heavy drop. As the game progresses, additional weapons and vehicles become available on the black market. Additionally, all weapons and vehicles on the black market have parameters that can be upgraded in several steps, by building upgrades with weapon and vehicle parts. There are over 2,000 parts that the player can acquire.

Developer Interview

E3 Trailer

Launch Trailer

1238487993.jpg

1243989591.jpg

1243990594.jpg

1243989589.jpg

1238487994.jpg
FAQ

Which version should I buy?

All three versions (PC, 360, PS3) are essentially the same; however, the PS3 version uses the built-in Youtube functionality, allowing you to upload videos of your exploits on the fly.

Is this game better than GTA IV?

Yes. If you like sandbox style games, you'll love this. Picture GTA IV with a grappling hook, parachute, and less semen jokes.

Who is Bolo Santosi?

She is the lead-er of the revolutionary army known as the Reaa-puuuurs

Xbox 360 Demo : http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/media/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802534307e7/

PC - Steam Demo : http://store.steampowered.com/app/35110/

OP stolen shamelessly from Kyougu (Thread 1)

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
Figgy on

• HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It's Bo-lo San-toe-zeeee

Hawk on
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You aaawe the Just Cause 2 thwead,no? I hear you awe velly skiiiiiiilled!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • TheDugglerTheDuggler Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I finally decided I am going to get this.

Has it been decided if PC or 360 is superior? PC mods would be a big selling point.

TheDuggler on
    camo_sig2.png
  • MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You have made me happier than a man whose just had a colonic irrigation, Scorpio!

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    oh jesus take out those god damn gifs

Nuzak on
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    alt post: da ree-pahs

Nuzak on
  • John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ah, the rocket mission... probably the first one that really got me to see the potential that games like this could have.

Good job, serdadu!

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Just finished the game at exactly 30%.
    Oh my god surfing on nukes. This game is amazing.

Warcry on
  • DaSniper91DaSniper91 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This game is pretty amazingly fun but JC3 better have yaw. The absence kinda ruins flying the planes for me.

DaSniper91 on
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Man, you really do become a bullet sponge late in the game - every douchebag henchman with a firearm has Wyatt Earp-esque accuracy. When shotgun blasts are hitting me from the opposite end of a military base, that's a little annoying.

Thankfully a tank fixes everything right up.

This game desperately needs vehicle spawn codes. Them tanks ain't cheap!

Halfmex on
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I really need to get around to doing that rocket mission, I want to see if you can grapple it/how high it goes. :)

All I've done story-wise is a few stronghold takeovers, and I'm at almost 13 hours on my main save game.

Also; see here for free C4/grenade top-ups. Has saved me a lot of cash.

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • Raoulduke20Raoulduke20 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Halfmex wrote: »
    Man, you really do become a bullet sponge late in the game - every douchebag henchman with a firearm has Wyatt Earp-esque accuracy. When shotgun blasts are hitting me from the opposite end of a military base, that's a little annoying.

Thankfully a tank fixes everything right up.

This game desperately needs vehicle spawn codes. Them tanks ain't cheap!

If you're on PC you can use a mod to make the black market items free or cheaper at least. I use free, myself, since I doubt secret agent types pony up their own cash for their gear. You can also make it so that all the weapons and vehicles are fully upgraded for free, but I enjoy finding upgrades too much to use it.

Raoulduke20 on
    signatureih.jpg
    edited April 2010
    On the rocket mission, if it gets too high, you fail the mission and it restarts it; you never really get close enough to try to grapple to it.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    How often do you guys roll when you are in combat? Rolling seems to keep the enemies accuracy down for a little while. I'm at 40% and the only thing that is a threat anymore is when the send helicopters and I'm on foot... well, that or if I have absolutely no cover. Then again, I do use fully upgraded grenades on large groups/vehicles and I use hit and run tactics to clear out a base.

Ratsult2 on
  • TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The OP needs a link to those mods that were posted in the last thread.

Also whoever decided enemies are capable of shooting the wings off a fly flyring at the speed of light fifty miles away with a pistol should be slapped. It's ridiculous. Almost as bad as enemies just spawning right behind you.

This game would be much better served if enemies in bases spawned from a structure you could destroy.

TwistedJester on
  • LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hillean wrote: »
    On the rocket mission, if it gets too high, you fail the mission and it restarts it; you never really get close enough to try to grapple to it.

I grappled to it. And then promptly had to restart when I realized I couldn't stick triggered charges on it from that position. :?

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Cannon GooseCannon Goose I need some GAGS! If only I had my gag book!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think I'm in love with that tiny agency jet.

Cannon Goose on
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    I really need to get around to doing that rocket mission, I want to see if you can grapple it/how high it goes. :)

All I've done story-wise is a few stronghold takeovers, and I'm at almost 13 hours on my main save game.

Also; see here for free C4/grenade top-ups. Has saved me a lot of cash.

I love you.

Rizzi on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So on the 4th agency mission, I believe it is
    How the fuck do they hide the construction let alone operation of a nuclear submarine in a tiny landlocked lake? Also what is the point of having one up there, its not going anywhere. It is cool though

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    edited April 2010
    webguy20 wrote: »
    So on the 4th agency mission, I believe it is
    How the fuck do they hide the construction let alone operation of a nuclear submarine in a tiny landlocked lake? Also what is the point of having one up there, its not going anywhere. It is cool though

Dude, if you fly around the entire island, it looks like every single 007 villian has a secret base on this island.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've just spent my whole playtime with this game mucking around, and scaling a massive cliff face with the grappling hook is just so much fun.

PaperLuigi44 on
    edited April 2010
    I've just spent my whole playtime with this game mucking around, and scaling a massive cliff face with the grappling hook is just so much fun.

Agreed; I didn't know there was an achievement to 'parachute-climb' 300 feet, until I was just messing around climbing mountains, landed, and it was like... 944 feet total.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    A whole new wooooooorld!:whistle:

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The thread title should mention com-rades

UnbreakableVow on
  • BrymBrym Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    TrippyJing wrote: »

I lol'd hard at the ending of that.

Brym on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Don't you mean comb-raids? :P

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dashui wrote: »

Very good, lah.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
    edited April 2010
    Dashui wrote: »

Very good, lah.

Excellent job, serdadu!

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    How come the enemy get homing rocket launchers but Rico doesn't?

-SPI- on
    edited April 2010
    Because you get a grapple gun and they don't

UnbreakableVow on
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

Holy god, that was fantastic. Tears in the eyes, sir.

Tears in the eyes.

Halfmex on
    edited April 2010

Oh my God

UnbreakableVow on
    edited April 2010
    -SPI- wrote: »
    How come the enemy get homing rocket launchers but Rico doesn't?

Enemies also have sniper shotguns, you'll find out later.

They must have been in Borderlands before they came to Panau

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Just in case folks were wondering, apparently there is some impact to those messages from sabotage:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/justcause2/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-54087392&pid=943500

Maybe someone with the game could verify these things. It seems like they're pretty minor, so might be tough to do.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Everytime I hear Panau I think of Pulau Pulau from Jack of All Trades.

In fact, I think I'm going to refer to Scorpio as The Daring Dragoon in my head.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • BrymBrym Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    In case anyone didn't know:

The races in this game are actually quite fun. The first one I tried was with the impossible-to-turn jet, and because it sucked so much, I didn't play any more until after finishing the story. Now that I've seen the others though, I'm kicking myself for not playing them earlier. Skydiving is my favorite so far.

Brym on
  • HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

holy shit

Hybrid on
  • PeffPeff Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Brym wrote: »
    In case anyone didn't know:

The races in this game are actually quite fun. The first one I tried was with the impossible-to-turn jet, and because it sucked so much, I didn't play any more until after finishing the story. Now that I've seen the others though, I'm kicking myself for not playing them earlier. Skydiving is my favorite so far.

There's one called Kicked to the Curb
    tank + checkpoints on sidewalks = win

favorite one so far.

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Holy shit, a ski resort with a mission involving driving down the ski slopes in a car at hilariously dangerous speeds?

Fuck yes! This game...

-SPI- on