As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DnD 4e PbP] Vale of Buried Shadows (OOC)

AegisAegis Fear My DanceOvershot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
edited August 2011 in Critical Failures
So I wonder if anyone was interested in a 4e campaign? Ahem.

IC thread: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=116993
TopBanner.jpg

The Nentir Vale:
NentirVale2.jpg
(Courtesy of D&D Doodle awesomness)

The Vale's Current Exploration:
0LZTS.jpg

With the rise of the empire of Nerath to the south, human settlers began to move up the Nentir, establishing towns such as Fastormel, Harkenwold, and Winterhaven. A Nerathan hero named Aranda Markelhay obtained a charter to build a keep at the portage of the Nentir Falls. She raised a simple tower at the site of Moonstone Keep three hundred ten years ago, and under its protection the town of Fallcrest began to grow.

Over the next two centuries, Fallcrest grew into a small and prosperous city. It was a natural crossroads for trade, and the Markelhays ruled it well. When the empire of Nerath began to crumble about a century ago, Fallcrest continued to flourish—for a time. Ninety years ago, a fierce horde of orcs known as the Bloodspears descended from the Stonemarch and swept over the vale. Fallcrest’s army was defeated in a rash attempt to halt the Bloodspears out on Gardbury Downs. The Bloodspears burned and pillaged Fallcrest and went on to wreak havoc all across the Nentir Vale.

To the east, a necropolis stood amongst the peaks of the mighty Dawnforge Mountains. For untold years the city existed as a place to honor the ancestors of the mighty dwarf Lords that lived and worked within those unforgiving mountains. When the orcs of the Bloodspears came, in the wake of Fallcrest's destruction, the necropolis was gutted of most of its priests and warriors, falling prey to the looting hands of the orcs that poured through. Yet their attention wandered, and dwarven construction is more sturdy than most, as much of the tombs remained undefiled. With the fall of Nerath, the citadels of the dwarves were broken, famine and plague grew upon the land and the dwarves made the ever important decision to use their honored city as a sole surviving fortress for their own living people. And thus did Hammerfast become a place for both the living and the dead.

And to the west, in sight of the Cairngorm, stood a fortress not of men, dwarves, or the living looking for a better life in the north, but a fortress of the undead. A keep on the Shadowfell, to serve as the font of Orcus' power into the world. Nerath, while it still remained in this world, moved quickly to contain this threat. Legionnaires sent by the massive empire sealed the opening and quickly laid watch over this keep for any trace of a new threat.

In the decades since the Bloodspear War, Fallcrest has struggled to reestablish itself. The town is a shadow of the former city; little trade passes up and down the river these days. The countryside for scores of miles around is dotted with abandoned homesteads and manors from the days of Nerath.

In the decades since the Bloodspear War, Hammerfast has slowly burgeoned into a place both of remembrance for one's ancestors and a site for trade amongst those still in the living world. The city now sits as one of the more prosperous in the entire Eastern vale.

In the decades since the fall of Empire, Shadowfell Keep has crumbled. The watch remains, though like all things in the minds of men over such a stretch, its purpose has been forgotten. The West is not without life, however, as Winterhaven has risen amidst the shadow of this once deadly threat. Its people eek out a living in an unforgiving wilderness.

Once again the Nentir Vale is a thinly settled borderland where few folk live. Once again the Nentir Vale is on the precipice of important changes in history. Once again the Nentir Vale is in need of a few outstanding heros.

What This Is:
This is a campaign for five PCs which will chart a story-centric course throughout much of the Nentir Vale. It will start at 2nd level and will end...sometime in the future when the plot ends (this is currently estimated to be late teens but will be more concrete when I actually get close to it in terms of plot-writing). [As of this moment (April 4th), you will at least reach 7th-10th level.] This is also my first 4e campaign, however, I have DM'd (not here) 3.0/3.5 for years now and know at least that D&D inside and out, so this is mostly moving to a different rules-setting. As such, I will appreciate any rules-based advice or help if I flub things here and there. This shouldn't affect the plot in any way.

The final party:

Snarl.pngSnarl, Half-Orc Rogue
Aidan.pngAidan Twosouls, Dwarf Shaman
Rakash.pngRakash Dawnstrider, Longtooth Shifter Ranger/Seeker
athertonkess.pngAtherton Kess, Human Swordmage
Lyedyn.pngLyedyn Soan, Elven Druid

The lost:

Kell Sumair, Human Wizard - Abducted by demons and succumbed to a coma (Chapter 1)

Mechanics Changes:

1) All players receive a free expertise feat, taken from whichever expertise feat fits their character.
2) Daily Magic Item Uses no longer exist, in line with the existing rules change by WoTC. Instead, you can use as many Daily Items as you have in your inventory with powers as you want during the course of a single day. You can still only use an individual Daily Item Power once/day, unless otherwise indicated by the power itself or circumstances. Encounter & At-will powers are not affected.
3) A power listed as "Melee or Ranged Attack" that contains both a "Strength vs <Defense> (Melee) or Dexterity vs <Defense> (Ranged)" may substitute Strength in place of Dexterity when choosing to make the ranged portion of the attack. This is to allow for the (apparently neglected) instance where one might be utilizing Heavy Thrown weapons as part of one's ranged attacks. This does not apply to powers which specifically require dual-wielding as part of their "melee or ranged" component, nor does it apply to powers which only list a ranged option with Dexterity vs <Defense>.

Loot Acquired:

Current Gold (26/08/11): Party: 1,021 gp ; Snarl: +164 gp

Chapter 1
Gold: Party: 4 platinum pieces, 530 gold pieces, 1 gems (150 gp), 8 bloodstones (6x 75 gp; 2x 150 gp) ; Snarl: +125 gp, +1 gem (30 gp), +1 necklace (25 gp)
Magic Items:
* 1 Magic Tome
* 1 Gauntlet of Blood (Level 4)
* 1 +1 Lifegiving Leather Armor (Level 3)
* 1 +1 Vengeful Halberd Dagger (Level 5)
* 1 +1 Battlecrazed Longsword (Level 4)
* 1 Goblin Stompers (Level 6)
* 1 +1 Panther Spirit Leather Armor (Level 5)
* 1 +1 Flensing Short Sword (Level 5)
* 1 +1 Time Link Leather Armor (Level 4)
* 1 +1 Aegis Blade (Level 3)
* 1 Claw Gloves (Level 4)
Other Items:
* 8 4 Potions [ 3x 2x Potions of Healing (100 gp); 1 Gravespawn Potion (50 gp); 1 Potion of Clarity (50 gp); 1 Fire Beetle Potion (75 gp); 1 Potion of White Dragonsbreath (100 gp); 1 Elixir of Accuracy (125 gp) ]
* 2 Scrolls (Hand of Fate, Cure Disease)
* 2 Rituals (Enchant Magic Item, Transfer Enchantment)
Sold Items: 253 gp (Aidan's Old Armor, Battlecrazed Longsword)
Purchased Items: -16 gp for 2 Short Swords (Snarl) ; -1,895 gp (Aegis Blade, Claw Gloves, Transfer Enchantment Ritual, Enchant Magic Item Ritual)

Chapter 2
Gold: Party: 20 platinum pieces, 690 gold pieces, 4 gem (3x100 gp, 1x150 gp), 2 Artwork (370 gp & 285 gp), Special Components (500 gp Quartz Ore); Snarl: 2 platinum pieces
Magic Items:
*1 +1 Summer Growth Totem (Level 3)
*1 +2 Amulet of Health (Level 8)
*1 +2 Amulet of Good Fortune (Level 7)
*1 Dented Horned Helm (Level 6)
*1 Skull Mask (Level 5)
*1 +2 Ravenclaw Scimitar Longsword (Level 8)
*1 Power Jewel (Level 5)
*1 Map of Unseen Lands (Level 7)
Other Items:
*2 Potions [2x Potions of Regeneration (360 gp)]
*1 Poison [Ungol Dust (350 gp)] - Snarl
Sold Items: 346 gp (Panther Spirit Armor, Rakash's Old Armor, Scimitar)
Purchased Items: -710 gp (Summer Growth Totem, Spear, Enchantment Transfer); -2,910 gp (Enchant Transfer, Comrades' Succor, Ritual Reagents, Longsword)

We'll see how long this blog lasts
Currently DMing: None :(
Characters
[5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
Aegis on

• Jack HobbesJack Hobbes Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Interested.

Already in one Play-By-Post here, but we'll see how it goes.

Jack Hobbes on
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Blue dot! I want to explore the Nentir Vale some more, outside of KotS. I have a couple characters in mind, too. I may bounce character creation ideas off you. Where in the Vale would we be starting?

tzeentchling on
  • SakutianSakutian Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Interested, I'm currently GMing a pbp here but I'm not playing in any.

Sakutian on
    My Games

Dresden Files RPG- Dumb Luck

Playing Phillip Hess in Motor City Blues

GM of M&M "And Justice For All."
    GM of Dresden Files Low Life
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Into the Unknown
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Lost Hope- Concluded
    GM of Star Wars Sagas the Dark Times- Concluded.
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Jabba's Palace- Concluded due to injury.
    Bart Allen/ The Flash in M&M Metropolis- Concluded.
    Koyi Disturbances in the Force- Concluded.
    Jessup Owlbeard Forge of the Dawn Titan- Withdrawn due to injury.
    Sal Mander In the Shadow of Zeus- Concluded.
    Zevoto in Out in the Black- Withdrawn due to injury.
    GM of Wyvern Watch
    Berru Secune in Rise of the Jedi
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Blue dot! I want to explore the Nentir Vale some more, outside of KotS. I have a couple characters in mind, too. I may bounce character creation ideas off you. Where in the Vale would we be starting?

The party will start off in Fallcrest, though not necessarily remain within the city in terms of their initial jaunts.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Aegis! You are awesome. I'll be posting my LT Shifter Seeker|Ranger in the next day or two... actually, call it a day or two after the CB is updated, which should be on Tuesday.

Edit: Hell, I'm so excited I might just build it out of the books manually. I'm guessing you're ok with hybrids now that they're finalized and published?

Rius on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I read over hybrids, and yea they'll be fine.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Till the 19th eh?

I'm in a pbp but I really like the vale setting.

This may or may not be due to the PA podcast.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm interested in playing! Here's a submission: Mister Brink, Changeling Assassin and Ex-Butler.

Background:
    Brink was abandoned early by his changeling parents. An outsider by virtue of his race, he found intolerance and cruelty at the hands of his fellow orphans. Lord Benedict, an elderly patron of the orphanage, took pity on Brink and hired the young changeling into his service. It wasn't truly the family Brink had dreamed of, but it was more than he could have hoped for. Benedict had aristocratic apprehensions about becoming too familiar with his butler, but in a way, the lonely old man loved his servant like a son. For instance, he would never reveal to Brink that the Benedict estate was nobility in name only. What little money remained in the coffers was used to retain the services of the impeccable Mister Brink. For his part, Brink showed his surrogate father his unspoken affection through the perfect execution of his duties. He buttled with pride and maintained the grounds with the utmost care.

It was this last duty that spelled the end for Benedict and his butler, Mister Brink. Nentir bandits had noticed the impressively well-kept mansion with its lack of staff and deduced that a wealthy, easy mark was within their grasp. And now comes the moment that Mister Brink relives almost every night in his dreams: the men came to the door, asking to see the master of the house, and he let them in. He had grown complacent. Naive. He returned to polishing the cutlery.

Mister Brink remembers everything up until this point with clarity. He remembers seeing his satisfied nod in the mirror gleam of Lord Benedict's silverware. The master's guests left, scowling. Curious. Now that the visitors had departed, however, it would be well within the limits of protocol to ask Benedict about them. Brink climbed the stairs to the study...

Later, Mister Brink would put the pieces together. The bandits must have been enraged when they discovered that Benedict was hardly worth robbing. Perhaps they didn't believe him. Perhaps they underestimated the frailty of the old man when they encouraged him to disclose the location of his hidden wealth. It matters little enough now.

It gets a little foggy after the study. Brink remembers shadows, darkness.... and a deal struck. There were five bandits. Over the next few months, four of them turned up dead. Their wounds were odd--small puncture marks, as if they'd been stabbed by, of all things, a fork.

A shorter summary:
    Mister Brink's childhood experiences, as well as the death of his master, have inspired his hatred of those who would prey on the weak. He's made a deal with the forces of the Shadowfell, trading a portion of his self for the power to exact vengeance. For now, the quest gives him purpose. There's one ruffian left to punish, but the trail's run cold, and Mister Brink has allowed himself to think about what life holds for him after his duty is fulfilled.

Appearance and personality:
    When not using his natural gifts to disguise himself, Mister Brink is dressed in the fine suit of a butler and appears as a middle-aged human with graying hair. Of note are his immaculate cuff links, which feature bright green gems (which serve as Emerald Flame Ki Foci). Mister Brink's vocabulary and manner correspond to those of a trained butler. However, he lacks the customary discretion of one in the service; his rashness is what led him to begin his campaign of vengeance. It's often said that the best bluffer is one who believes their own bluffs--this is part of what makes Mister Brink an effective bluffer, as he often says things before he realizes whether or not he can actually follow through on them.

Wish spell: Within the strictures of the spell, Mister Brink would wish that the final bandit, the ringleader, be transported next to him. More likely, and despite the danger, he would impulsively wish that he had barred the door to the bandits on that day.

Mister Brink fights with improvised weaponry; most often, he uses silverware of varying kinds to deliver death. His Belt of the Brawler allows him to treat improvised weaponry as a club for the purposes of proficiency/damage... I bought him a club to simulate this in the Character Builder, because it didn't seem to be calculating damage for weapon attacks correctly without it. I also purchased a set of Thieves' Tools; I was wondering if I could reflavor these to represent Mister Brink's silverware (I have a mental image of him picking a lock with a fork, and I couldn't find any other mundane items that are closer to silverware). Would that be acceptable?

Saurfang on
  • susansusan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Interested, very interested. Right now I'm thinking I'll be submitting a revised version of William 'Chocolate' Harris, the Cunning Gnome Bard, adventurer and lover, though I may be feeling Vista, the Warforged Barbarian, walking unstoppable machine of death. I'll figure it out depending on what I see others submitting.

Also, as a first time DM, you should probably be forewarned that a 2 Week Recruiting Window is long, and if you leave it open that long you'll probably snag a whole lot more submissions than you're probably looking for.

susan on
    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
  • squishy-blobsquishy-blob Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Blue dotted.

I'm already involved in 1 PbP here and I'd love to join another. I'm putting together a Half-Elf Paladin right now.

One question though: you mention 400gp + 2 magic items (max 1 lvl 3 item). Can we spend some of the 400gp on potions and other consumables that are higher than lvl 3?

squishy-blob on
  • SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm interested but is this a first come first serve basis? I'm currently not in any pBp campaigns here and I would like to play a striker. I made up a ranger already for a campaign I got rejected from who I've been wanting to play. I'll just need to reduce his level/gear

Sipex on
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Snarl, Half Orc Strangler (Brutal Rogue)

snarl.jpg

Sheet

Character Information in Sheet

Other Stuff:
    Snarl was raised by the Half-Orcs of the streets. He does not remember his parents, perhaps they were two of the many unknown victims guilty of the crime of possessing the blood of an old enemy. He is cunning though uneducated. Strong though wiry. Aware though saying little. Effective but subtle. Life on the streets of Fallcrest has put fire in his veins and iron in his heart.

Put another way... he bears a great many of the virtues that a city-dwelling half-orc must posses to survive.

Story:
    Antonius strode down the dark street with his menacing bodyguard. He didn't fear walking at night. He could afford as skilled a guard as the half-orc Durk... and half-orcs, still distrusted for their ancestry, could be hired at a rate lower than their skill would otherwise demand. The bodyguard was close, just two paces behind, but that wasn't nearly so close as Antonius would like his strength and his large halberd to be.
    "Move your arse, Durk! You're paid by the hour, and I'm a busy man! I didn't hire you to --"
    As Antonius rounded a shadowy corner he heard a low-pitched gasp behind him. He turned to see Durk with a crude dagger lodged in his solar plexus. He turned to run as Durk fell to his knees and the halberd fell from the half-orc's grasp. From the shadows, a weighted rope whipped around Antonius' neck and constricted. He choked and flailed at the rope, but the pair of strong, pale-grey hands was far too overwhelming.
    "Stop embarrassing yourself, Antonius. I'm not going to kill you," growled a deep voice behind him, its tone and intent like that of a wolf, "...not yet."
    Ten seconds... his eyes blurred and he began to lose consciousness. He fell to the ground. Vaguely, he could feel himself being searched and turned on his back. Something hit his chest. As he looked up, he could see that it was a knee, and a pale grey half-orc whose lip was permanently curled by a facial scar stared at him malevolently, his long, black cordlike hair hanging down beastily.
    "So..." Antonius gasped, his words slow and painful. "...I suppose you're the Fallcrest Strangler."
    "Yes. And you're the fat merchant who hires my people for nothing, and charges them double for goods."
    The half-orc dangled the merchant's purse and jeweled dagger before Antonius' face. At that moment the merchant realized that he was looking at somebody who could not be bought nor bribed. The Stranglers eyes gleamed with predatory intent, and his sharp yellow teeth were exposed by a smile.
    "Curse you..." managed Antonius, "...to the Hells or worse, you murdering savage."
    "Yes. I am a murderer. And to a soft, ignorant city-human I may be savage. But as far as I'm concerned, I'm taking back what's rightfully mine. If I had one wish, it'd be to get my hands around the throat of every bloated dog like you, and throttle your corruption out of existence. You should have hired more bodyguards. And you made me kill one of my own. I'm insulted."
    Antonius wanted to cry out. He couldn't... he could barely breathe. He'd feared this moment, to meet the same end that several of his colleagues already had... but he'd profited from it as well. He was every bit the fool this savage deemed him to be.
    "...I never even saw you..."
    "And it will be the last thing you see, you fat dog."
    The Strangler jabbed the merchant's own ostentatious dagger into his throat. His eyes widened, he gurgled for a moment, and died. His blood poured through the cracks in the jagged flagstones of the alley. The strangler stood, pocketing the purse and tying his primitive garotte about his waist, once again seeming to be little more than a simple rope belt that any half-blooded savage would wear.

He went back to the body of Durk. The light was fading from the bodyguard's eyes. The dagger had not only stunned him by hitting the cluster of nerves that lies between the neck and navel, but had also penetrated far enough to pierce his lungs, filling them with the blood that now ran from his mouth.
    "I'm sorry, blood-brother. We are both have within us the seeds of the Bloodspear... and we shall survive. You were a fool to work for that pig, but I pray in this moment that our Gods forgive you. I will ask your forgiveness in the Beyond."
    He took hold of the knife and jerked it up and further into Durk's body, killing him instantly and ending his suffering. He wiped the bloody weapon on the bodyguard, and returned it to the sheath beneath his cloak. He looked back for a moment at the jeweled dagger that lay in the merchant's throat. No. Let them know of his own undoing.

He slunk back into the shadows, and furtively made his way back through the alleys of Fallcrest... wanted but unseen, his exploits still only known to himself, the town guards continually inept and baffled. But the town was still poor, and its merchants were becoming more cautious, their houses and stores becoming more difficult to enter.

Perhaps this "adventuring life" he'd heard of might be more profitable after all.

NOTE: Garrote for whatever reason isn't registering as a "light blade" in rogue powers (like it says in the feat)... so I guess I'm just going to have to add in the +1 when i make attack rolls with the garotte and rogue powers every time I roll

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited April 2010
    susan wrote: »
    Interested, very interested. Right now I'm thinking I'll be submitting a revised version of William 'Chocolate' Harris, the Cunning Gnome Bard, adventurer and lover, though I may be feeling Vista, the Warforged Barbarian, walking unstoppable machine of death. I'll figure it out depending on what I see others submitting.

Also, as a first time DM, you should probably be forewarned that a 2 Week Recruiting Window is long, and if you leave it open that long you'll probably snag a whole lot more submissions than you're probably looking for.

C'mon Susan, sometimes you gotta try a different character.

Like the Death Machine though.

Long recruitment windows aren't so bad... gives you more options as a DM to find stuff you like.

Also the DM has a nice attitude about things so far as freedom of class choice:
    The party will consist of at least 1 Leader and at least 1 Defender. Beyond that, anything goes in terms of party composition for the remaining slots.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm interested, and will submit a character application sometime in the near future.

Not in any PbP games, and haven't been in any D&D4E ones on the boards at all. I can post more than once per day, easily, but would have trouble doing a whole maptools+ventrillo thing if you ever went in that direction.

I take it we're limited to one application? If so, I'll retool the Swordmage I apped here, given that his background was tied pretty strongly into the setting for that one game. I'll read around and pick some alternate places to put his magical academy and noble family home and suchlike.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
    edited April 2010
    One question though: you mention 400gp + 2 magic items (max 1 lvl 3 item). Can we spend some of the 400gp on potions and other consumables that are higher than lvl 3?

Yea, if you're buying consumables with the gold you can ignore the magic item level restriction as it really only is applying to the 2 magic items.
    Sipex wrote: »
    I'm interested but is this a first come first serve basis? I'm currently not in any pBp campaigns here and I would like to play a striker. I made up a ranger already for a campaign I got rejected from who I've been wanting to play. I'll just need to reduce his level/gear

It's not first come first serve. Applications will be looked at in terms of how they fit with the party, creativity, etc. So feel free to just toss one in.
    Kay wrote: »
    I take it we're limited to one application? If so, I'll retool the Swordmage I apped here, given that his background was tied pretty strongly into the setting for that one game. I'll read around and pick some alternate places to put his magical academy and noble family home and suchlike.

Eh, if you want to send in more than one application then I don't mind. Just, as long as there aren't a half-dozen different applications from every single person since it wouldn't be overly fair to those people that just decided to send in just 1.

Aegis on
    Characters
    edited April 2010
    I've got an odd question but here it goes. Are we allowed to buy mounts with our beginning funds?

Sakutian on
    My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
    edited April 2010
    Mounts are welcome!

Aegis on
    Characters
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I kind of want to submit Fruitfucker, the 2' tall Warforged Battlemind, but I'm already in a PbP, so I'll let people who are not get a chance =)

Pinfeldorf on
    edited April 2010
    I'd like to proudly put forward the human wizard Kell Sumair of Winterhaven for consideration. I tried to make a character that had strong ties to the Nentir Valley. Oh and he'd wish for Winterhaven to become a great city in some way shape or form, one that wasn't so difficult to survive in.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=197811

Also an image for token purposes.
    neill1.jpg

Background
    As the child of two farmers growing up in Winterhaven Kell was always reminded of the great power the frigid cold of the winter wielded over men. He watched his parents and neighbors struggling each day to beat the first snow and raise their meager harvest in the hopes that they would not starve before the snows finally melted. The earliest years of his life were spent working alongside of his parents most of the year and spending his winters hearing stories of adventure by firelight. At the age of fourteen he left his small village and trekked the great distance to a true city where he hoped to make his fortune enabling him to send for his parents and resettle them in a more relaxed life. He apprenticed himself to a young wizard from a noble family and spent the next two years fetching magical components from the market and sweeping up his master's lavish home. It was physically taxing work but he was certain that in time he would become a wizard and with that power he could make a real life for himself.

In truth he learned next to nothing of magic from his apprenticeship. He managed to glean a few basic enchantments from his own studies during the early hours when his master slept off the previous night's drunken frivolity.

Giving up on his apprenticeship he decided to return home with the little knowledge he had gained and do what he could back home. He used what little wealth he had and purchased a painted horse to carry him down the road back home. Along the way he came a few traders and settlers who were also journeying towards WInterhaven for one reason or another. They struck a bargain, Kell would serve as their protector and guide in exchange for a healthy sum. His return home brought a surge of new life to Winterhaven and he was applauded for what he'd accomplished during his journey.

Kell began to make regular journeys back and forth across the Nentir Valley, guiding occasional visitors and fetching supplies the people of Winterhaven could not get for themselves. He always returned home for the winter to sit by the fire and tell stories of his travels around the fire. His trips were only fraught with minor dangers but they did enhance his magical prowess, he fashioned spells to mirror the power of the winter that harassed farmers so thoroughly. Wherever he goes though he proudly declares himself Kell of WInterhaven and does all that he can to aid the people who helped raise him.

Sakutian on
    My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Definitely interested. Been looking to get involved with a more long-term D&D campaign. I'll work up a character tonight.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm interested. Currently GM'ing a pbp, but not playing in any. Will get a character up later tonight.

Farangu on
  • OloronOloron Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Very cool. I’ve done PbP before and DM’d 4e in real life, but I’m not in any games at the moment, so I’d be very excited to play. I've been interested in the Psion and Deva for a while so tried to combine them and come up with a backstory that might give you a hook or two to use. If selected, I'm happy to edit however you like.

Here is my submission: Eliah, Deva Psion (controller)

Background:
    Eliah awoke near a shrine to Bahamut in a mountain range far to the east of Hammerfast 90 years ago. He had no knowledge of his last life and quickly re-dedicated himself to Bahamut’s cause. While left with only the shadows of memories of his prior incarnations, under the tutelage of the keepers of the shrine, he displayed an aptitude for mental strength and a love of history. He spent over six decades living a quiet life near the shrine, re-acclimating himself to the mortal plane while assisting and learning from the clerics who ministered to those at the shrine. Those near him (and truth be told, he himself), began to wonder when he would leave since it was unusual for a Deva to spend so much time in one place.

Eventually, the call to actively take up Bahamut’s cause again and venture into the larger world became too great and he began to journey to the west, providing assistance where he could and learning the histories of the world he was re-discovering. He would sometimes live for some time in a village or journey a bit north or south to follow an errand in Bahamut's service. However, his journey was always marked by two consistent drives. First, beginning with his initial encounter with an Orc, he had a visceral hatred of them that he himself did not understand and seemed all out of proportion to his calling to defeat Bahamut’s enemies. Second, he followed an urge to keep gradually moving to the west.

5 years ago, he arrived in Hammerfast and began to settle in to what had become his normal routine: finding what work he could; looking for ways to advance the causes of Bahamut; and learning the history of the area. However, upon beginning to read the history of the founding of Fallcrest and especially the tales of the Bloodspear War, he became troubled and obsessed with discovering more. He found himself believing there was more to the defeat of Fallcrest than the records contained. Increasingly, he began to wonder if the fall of the city 90 years ago and his reincarnation at the same time was a coincidence.

Unsatisfied with the answers he could find in the Hammerfast records, he set out to discover more himself….

Appearance:
    Deva.jpg

At first glance, Eliah could be confused with a human male, if a little tall and slender for one. With a second look however, his skin appear to be a little too gray and an observer would notice a pattern of darker gray spots on his hands and face. His short hair matched the color of the darker spots – as would the rest of his skin if he began to get excited, either while talking about some historical point or while exerting his mind during a fight.

In keeping with his focus on the mind (and slender frame), he wears robes to make movement and travel easier, relying on his mental powers for protection.

His wish:
    As a servant of Bahamut, he knows he should wish for all of the mortal plane to embrace Bahamut's ideas of good and justice. However, in his heart he knows that if actually asked, he would wish for the eradication of all Orcs - though he isn't entirely sure why.

p.s. Noticed after I wrote this original answer that you'd linked to the actual "Wish" spell. To give an answer in keeping with the rough bounds of that spell (since eradication of orcs may be a bit much for it), Eliah would first travel to Fallcrest. Once there, he would visit local graveyards and review any records in the town for individuals who may have been active in the city's defense and a witness to its fall 90 years ago. If he could find someone promising, he would travel to their grave and cast the wish to raise them from the dead so he could question them about as many details as possible regarding the city's fall.

Oloron on
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ok, here's my submission for right now.

Lensan, a minotaur runepriest - http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=191446

Background:
    Brought up to worship Baphomet, as a minotaur would, Lensan was thrown adrift in life when, in his first raid against a human settlement, he was struck with cowardice. He ran for the nearest building that would hide a minotaur(not easy for a 7 foot tall creature) and laid low until the fight was over. He emerged to see that all of his kindred had been killed, and he surrendered to the human forces there. While there, however, he saw that one particular human carried a fascinating weapon: a mace covered in glowing, delightful symbols. Lensan was so captivated by that one glance that he became a model prisoner, helped with labors for the town, and upon release went straight to the man to ask about his glorious weapon. That was when he learned about the glory of runes. Since that day, he has studied and studied, having the good fortune to come across a monastery of Ioun dedicated to cataloging runes. He dreams of one day knowing everything there is to know about them, and using the power they hold to perhaps reform some of his brethren. But to do that, it is now time for him to leave his sanctuary and head out into the world...

Appearance:
    Standing at 7 feet tall, Lensan is not an extraordinarily built minotaur. He does have a defining feature, though: During his time in the human prison, before he learned about how runes worked, he carved several designs that he thought looked powerful into his horns. He was perturbed when they didn't give him the power that mace carried.

How he would spend a wish:
    He would want to know everything there ever was to know about runes, maybe even creating some that could even come close to the power of the God Runes.

And a token:
    lensan.png

Farangu on
  • FelixSomethingSomethingFelixSomethingSomething Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    He would wish for a spot in this game. Yeah I'll put some work in on this, looks neat.

FelixSomethingSomething on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    And here we have Wall, a warforged fighter who dreams of being a hero.

His background is on the MW sheet, but the short(er) version is here:

Wall.jpg

Born Walter Morcon, he was a sickly child that lived in relative comfort in the lower side of Fallcrest. He spent most of his short life dreaming of adventures in the world outside his bedroom. Once he grew out of his various illnesses, he found his way to a cave in the cliffs where he died trying to unearth a deactivated warforged. Over the next 300 years his lingering spirit merged with the warforged body. Eventually he was dug up again, and although most of his memories are gone, he retains his child-like personality and thirst for adventure. Now known as Wall, he makes a living as hired muscle, hoping that his next job will lead him on a wild adventure for the ages.

If he had one Wish, it would be to be able to fly.

Denada on
    edited April 2010
    Alright, Here's my submission:

Annabeth Glaheadon the Half-Elf Paladin: Myth-weavers Sheet

Background:
    Annabeth is a cheerful, self-assured Paladin of Sehanine. She is the product of a romance between her mother, a wealthy merchant in the town of Harkenwold and her father, a member of the Woodsinger Clan who live in the Harken Forrest. Although her parents never settled down together they both had a hand in her upbringing; Annabeth lived with her mother in the town of Harkenwold but her father often visited and took her on trips to the Harken Forrest and the Woodsinger Clan.

Always wanting to see more of the world and ever the slave to her passions, Annabeth snuck away in the middle of the night during the autumn of her eighteenth year to join forces with an adventuring company heading south into what remains of the empire of Nerath. After two years of slaying goblins and exploring tombs Annabeth swore an oath to Sehanine and the Order of the Rising Moon, a small order of paladins sworn to hold back the forces of evil and protect those in need. After 3 years of training with the order Annabeth returned to the Nentir Vale to visit her family which she hadn't seen in 5 years.

After making peace with her mother for her impromptu goodbye half a decade before and earning her blessings to pursue the life of an adventurer, Annabeth set out to find her destiny.

Mannerisms and Appearance:
    Annabeth is 5'10 and well built. Her eyes are light brown like her hair which hangs loose around her shoulders. She makes no effort to hide her emotions and her face flickers between the seriousness of battle and the relaxed company of friends in an instant.

She spends most of her time in dull steel armour that looks quite simple but well made, with a sword always belted to her hip.

What she would wish for:
    Annabeth would wish to visit the Feywild or the City of Brass in the elemental chaos or possibly even the Underdark. Anywhere she can see wonderous things and meet strange people/creatures.

squishy-blob on
    edited April 2010
    Sakutian wrote: »
    neill1.jpg
    :^::^::^:

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited April 2010
    I admit it I love Sam Neill as Merlin, he is the wizard.

Sakutian on
    My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Is the Wish spell answer you want an answer to the Wish spell as implemented (ie, with the various restrictions on the page) or just a "If you had a wish spell that could be for anything, what would you wish for?"

hippofant on
    edited April 2010
    Whatever you as a character would want.

Aegis on
    Characters
    edited April 2010
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    neill1.jpg

It looks really weird on his myth-weavers sheet where it's squished horizontally to fit into the image space

squishy-blob on
    edited April 2010
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    neill1.jpg

It looks really weird on his myth-weavers sheet where it's squished horizontally to fit into the image space

Agreed, it does look a little odd.

Sakutian on
    My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • soxboxsoxbox Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    May I present Tohen Angwar, Eladrin Warlord:

Background and Personality:
    Tohen was raised in the Winter Lands of the Feywild amongst the Winterkin. Training in the Pale Prince's army, he led many raids into the feydark and the the Summer Lands. On one of his raids into the Summer Lands his raiding party was defeated and Tohen was left near death. Found dying on the battlefield by a young eladrin maiden, he was taken into her care and nursed back to health, gaining an appreciation of the ways of the Summer Lands. Upon his recovery, he returned to the Winterkin but sought out rogue elements of the army. Eventually he was involved in a failed uprising against the Prince of Frost and the last remnants of the rebellion fled into the mortal realms and scattered.

Tohen is brash and cocksure, supremely confident in his tactical genius, though his ego often rubs companions the wrong way.
    atlanticaw271680.jpg

Edit: Oh, I totally suck: Tohen's wish would be to overthrow the Winter Court and unite the Winterkin and the Eladrin to be one people again.

If the whole 'fey exile' thing is too multi-plane for your story, happy to rejig into a more mundane setting. Basically going with a cold-themed Taclord, looking at the Winterkin bloodline feats.

Do you have DDI? Sheet posted on Orokos, but happy to transfer details to myth-weavers if you need reference on things.

I'm currently in one pbp (though that hasn't moved in a little while). I've been in another three pbps which have gone the way of the dodo (sig still has references). The character is basically a rejigging of Eran Dynmor, the character I was playing in the Dungeon Delve pbp. I'm pretty punctual with pbp.

soxbox on
    edited April 2010
    Aegis, do you want people to stick to one submission?

Rius on
    edited April 2010
    Aegis wrote: »
    Kay wrote: »

Eh, if you want to send in more than one application then I don't mind. Just, as long as there aren't a half-dozen different applications from every single person since it wouldn't be overly fair to those people that just decided to send in just 1.

Aegis on
    Characters
    edited April 2010
    Bah, I missed that; I only checked your OP D:

Rius on
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'd like to proudly put forward the human wizard Kell Sumair of Winterhaven for consideration. I tried to make a character that had strong ties to the Nentir Valley. Oh and he'd wish for Winterhaven to become a great city in some way shape or form, one that wasn't so difficult to survive in.

Not sure if you're looking for input or not, but with your stat array, you could change your human stat bonus to +2 int, put two points into Con, and have 17 Int instead of 16, with all your other stats not changing at all. It'd essentially be 10/12/12/15(+2)/16/10, instead of 10/10(+2)/12/16/16/10.

Pinfeldorf on
    edited April 2010
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Not sure if you're looking for input or not, but with your stat array, you could change your human stat bonus to +2 int, put two points into Con, and have 17 Int instead of 16, with all your other stats not changing at all. It'd essentially be 10/12/12/15(+2)/16/10, instead of 10/10(+2)/12/16/16/10.

Looks good to me, thanks for the suggestion.

Sakutian on
    My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
    edited April 2010
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Looks good to me, thanks for the suggestion.

Wizards often have the craziest stat arrays because they have a wide range of feats to qualify for. Since you've chosen to be a Staff of Defense Wizard, you should probably have a better Con score than just 12. And your Human +2 bonus should go to +Int or to +Con, realistically.

Dex 13 is helpful for feats like Destructive Wizardry, which rewards you for hitting 2 or more creatures in a single spell.

Wis 13 is helpful for feats like Enlarge Spell, which makes your blast and burst spells larger.

Cha 13 is helpful for feats that deal with illusion-based powers, and feats like Spell Focus, which makes it harder for enemies to save against your negative effects.

So, you'll want an Int of 16 or 18 and a Con of 16, plus a 13 in Dex and Wis at the very least. So a good array for you as a Human Wizard with only a single +2 stat bump would be the following...

08/16/13/15+2/13/10

And raise your Con and Int at every 4th level. If you want the increased base accuracy and damage that an 18 Int will provide (not necessarily a bad idea), then do this...

08/15/13/16+2/13/10

And raise Con/Int at every 4th.

Since you have 3 At-Wills, you may want to pick one of each targeting Fortitude, Reflex and Will; that way you'll always be able to strike at a creature's weakest defense. That's totally up to you, though, and honestly most of the time being able to target either Fortitude or Reflex will be just fine.

Rius on
    edited April 2010
    For my amusement and to pass the time while I wait for the Character Builder update, here is a list of current applications.

Strikers:

1) Mister Brink, Changeling Assassin (And Ex-Butler), Night Stalker (Naturally); Submitted by Saurfang
    2) Snarl, Half-Orc Strangler (Brutal Scoundrel Garrote Rogue... cool!); Submitted by Horseshoe (Where's your Wish?)

Controllers:

1) Kell Sumair, Human Wizard of the Sam Neill school, Staff of Defense; Submitted by Sakutian
    2) Eliah, Deva Psion, Telepathy Focus; Submitted by Oloron

Leaders:

1) Lensan, Minotaur Runepriest, presumably the Hammer build; Submitted by Farangu (Your sheet is locked as private)
    2) Tohen Angwar, Eladrin Warlord, Taclord to be sure. Submitted by Soxbox (You've taken a Greatspear but have dumped Wisdom. If you ever want the control-style feats a Polearm/Spear combo can get you, then you'll need some Wisdom to go along with your Str and Int. Con and Cha are a little less important in that scenario.)

Defenders:

1) Wall, Warforged Fighter, Brawler Style; Rock'em Sock'em Robot! Submitted by Denada (You've got 3 magic items, I think you're only allowed 2 + consumables)
    2) Annabeth Glaheadon, Half-Elf Paladin, Chaladin of course. Submitted by Squishy-Blob

Good spread of classes and roles so far.

Rius on