As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Blackest Night: Sinestro will save us all!

• Juan DimensionalJuan Dimensional Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    The more important thing is that I thought Krypto was supposed to fight that loser rage cat from the red lanterns. I thought Johns mentioned that, or maybe it was what someone here wished to happen.

That would have been all kinds of win.
    I am now dreaming of a spin-off a la Pet Avengers.
    Munch wrote: »
    Here's my issue with Blackest Night.

Every tie-in consisted of this sequence of events: Hey it's my old dead friend! Yeah, it's me! No it's not! Haha, yeah, no it's not! Fight it! I'm fighting it, I'm okay now! No you're not! Haha, no I'm not! PEWPEWPEW!

Fin.

And every main issue of Blackest Night consisted of this sequence of events: What are these things?! Here's what these things are! I know how to hurt it, follow my lead! That didn't work. I know how to hurt it, follow my lead! That didn't work. I know how to hurt it, follow my lead! That didn't work.

Then Boston Brand shows up and tells everyone how to solve everything.

Fin.

I agree completely. I feel as though Blackest Night lost a lot of steam as it went along, mostly because it was a huge event. I only got the main books (BN, GL, GLC) and I felt the whole dead loved ones coming back to life thing was stretched pretty thin. I thumbed through some of the minis in my LCS and they all seemed the same (like you describe). I understand that in real life your family coming back from the dead to eat your heart would be pretty goddamn devastating to your mental health, but I don't really want to read the same sequence of events 25 times in 10 different miniseries.

Juan Dimensional on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    One of the things I really liked about the DCU was something Busiek highlighted about it in the JLA/Avengers crossover - the heroes were competent and loved. Now the DCU is the place where mass murder happens - fuck, even ordinary folks in Smallville were fodder in BL. It's just not a very fun place anymore.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    And Captain America thought heroes being loved like that was fascist. Stupid, stupid Cap.

We've been told for years DC will be lighter and happier, but it hasn't really shows up yet. Either let it happen or don't say it at conventions.

TexiKen on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I wish they'd put more of an emphasis on having living heroes do soul-searching and self-examination when being confronted with the undead embodiment of all their personal doubts and fears. There are so many different heroes and characters in the DCU that it could have made for an interesting overall theme with each individual story being unique. I find that superheroes often just shrug their shoulders and say 'yawn, never give up, etc' in times of doubt.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    i just hate larfleeze in general

RELEASE THE KRAKEN

Green on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Green wrote: »
    So does anyone know why the Indigos are talking about Larfleeze in that last bit?

Well, Larf has a Blue Lantern now so his hunger can be kept in check no? I probably remember that wrong. If his hunger was taken out of the equation he would be one of the most powerful beings in the universe.

ANYWAY! I want Larfleeze and Superboy Prime to get into a fight over some comic books.

Algertman on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    i just hate larfleeze in general

Larfleeze is the perfect rendition of his Corps and its emotion, plus the fact that there aren't a couple thousand Orange Lanterns (love the designation "Agent Orange" btw, always have) is something that I found refreshing in the unvailing of all the lantern corps. Larfleeze is great and I think you owe him an apology. . .

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    I wish they'd put more of an emphasis on having living heroes do soul-searching and self-examination when being confronted with the undead embodiment of all their personal doubts and fears. There are so many different heroes and characters in the DCU that it could have made for an interesting overall theme with each individual story being unique. I find that superheroes often just shrug their shoulders and say 'yawn, never give up, etc' in times of doubt.

When Blackest Night was first teased at the end of Sinestro Corps War, I was excited because I thought this would be what a lot of it was. I was expecting a lot of character exploration, but then it turned out it was a zombie horror film. In hindsight, I should have expected such.

Lux on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well we did get some character exploring stuff for Flash and Wonder Woman in their respective minis.

Furu on
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So the Brightest Day panel had some good info:
    -Hawk and Dove going to Birds of Prey

-Osiris going to Titans

-Boston Brand or "Aliveman" as they called him is essentially confirmed to be the White Lantern. They said 'There is something different about him in BN8 than the others that returned. When a audience member asked about the ring, they said 'very perceptive'. They also said that he will have a bunch of new abilities now that he is alive.

-Max Lord has made the entire world forget he existed. Except for Booster, Fire, Ice, and Captain Atom. And this is the setup for JLI: Generation Lost. They are on a manhunt but no one believes them.

-No Ted Kord return just yet.

-Black Lanterns are not completely gone yet.

-Sodom Yat is in GL 54

ManetherenWolf on
    edited April 2010
    Yat not being a BL pretty much confirms he's still alive. I hope they get him out of there because fuck Daxam

Furu on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Definitely excited that Sodam is going to be back. We never really got to see him cut loose with all his power outside of that Superman Prime fight that lasted 2 seconds.

Hensler on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    They also said that he will have a bunch of new abilities now that he is alive.

Like bowel movements, male pattern baldness, and the ability to sleep for eight hours a day.

Also liking the premise to JLI and the new cast member in Titans. I just hope Titans can stop sucking enough to make that work.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Furu wrote: »
    Yat not being a BL pretty much confirms he's still alive. I hope they get him out of there because fuck Daxam

I think him appearing in Legion of 3 Worlds kinda tipped off that they had no intention of killing him off.

Hilarious that they're sending Osiris to the Titans though. They resurrect him and march him straight off to the DCU death camp.

Anyway, I was a little late reading my comics from last week but I hope that last issue put a lid on any thoughts that this was a good crossover, it really wasn't.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sodom Yat is going to the Legion though shortly after he comes back, isn't he?

HadjiQuest on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2010
    Also liking the premise to JLI and the new cast member in Titans. I just hope Titans can stop sucking enough to make that work.
    Hilarious that they're sending Osiris to the Titans though. They resurrect him and march him straight off to the DCU death camp.

Not Teen Titans or former-teen Titans. Deathstroke's new villain Titans featuring Cheshire and Tattooed Man (who isn't a villain anymore but)

Garlic Bread on
    edited April 2010
    Who is the new creative team for these new Titans?

Hensler on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    MORE new villain Titans?

Wildcat on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Keith wrote: »

Not Teen Titans or former-teen Titans. Deathstroke's new villain Titans featuring Cheshire and Tattooed Man (who isn't a villain anymore but)

Oh god damn it.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hensler wrote: »

Eric Wallace and Fabrizio Fiorentino, the same creative team behind the Final Crisis Aftermath: Ink book.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So that new book is Terror Titans mk2

Where they sent Cassanda Cain to die according to most people in here

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Agghhhh, why do they keep making evil Teen Titans teams?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2010
    It's not a new book! It's taking over the old Titans book

I mean, it's a dumb idea and shouldn't happen

but at least it stops that old Titans book

Garlic Bread on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm still not sure what the point of Titans was.

All the old New Teen Titans get back together to form a team and.. hang around and fight Trigon's kids for an arc?

Munch on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

Eric Wallace and Fabrizio Fiorentino, the same creative team behind the Final Crisis Aftermath: Ink book.

Man, I loved the art on Ink. I wanted to lick it because it was so pretty.

I liked the story too.

Bloods End on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    I'm still not sure what the point of Titans was.

All the old New Teen Titans get back together to form a team and.. hang around and fight Trigon's kids for an arc?

well what else are they gonna do

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Good point.

I'm just not sure how that book was pitched, as it seemed like there was no real story, or even a longterm plan for the cast. It seemed aimed entirely at nostalgia nuts. Unsurprisingly, the book initially sold a shitload of issues.

Munch on
    edited April 2010

That could actually be good - Ink was a lot better than I expected. As long as they don't try to make it "Evil Teen Titans Part 10" and just have it be "Deathstroke's Merry Men Being Evil and Stealing The Justice League's Milk Money".

Hensler on
    edited April 2010
    It looks like they're mercenaries for hire. The solicitations for the special and first issue have them targeting The Atom and Lex Luthor

Except we know they won't kill either of them so

Plus, Secret Six is the best villains book

Garlic Bread on
    edited April 2010
    I could actually see them killing Ryan Choi.

They need to start the story off on a note that will get people talking, and show that things are actually going to occur in the book that will matter. And I don't think, given that Ronnie Raymond is back and Jason Rusch seems to no longer be the sole Firestorm, that DC's too worried about wrecking any of the recent crop of legacy heroes.

Plus, nobody really had much of a use for regular Atom, besides Geoff Johns. I doubt anyone but Gail Simone will care if they lose the redundant Shrinky Dink.

Munch on
    edited April 2010
    I'll care

I'll care

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited April 2010
    I WOULD CARE.

And it does just sound like Secret Six minus the dark humor, which is to say that it will suck.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited April 2010
    I love Deathstroke, so I'll read it, but I'm not optimistic.

Maybe it'll be good if they do a Secret Six crossover with both teams competing to one up each other to kill the same target first.

Hensler on
    edited April 2010
    I don't really like it when similar groups crossover. I like it better when people who otherwise wouldn't encounter each other, like Secret Six and Birds of Prey, crossover and have interesting chemistry, like Huntress and Catman.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited April 2010
    have Catwoman and Catman met since he became a badass?

Garlic Bread on
  • H*RH*R Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This is probably known by someone, but is the Brightest Day book the place to see more Aquaman\Mera? Because i'd like to see what Johns does with him. It was the Aquaman\Mera moments and the Dibney moments that really did it for me in Blackest Night.

H*R on
    Nintendo Network: WarrenMSP
    3DS: 4184-2362-9697
    PSN: Skywarrd
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    H*R wrote: »
    This is probably known by someone, but is the Brightest Day book the place to see more Aquaman\Mera? Because i'd like to see what Johns does with him. It was the Aquaman\Mera moments and the Dibney moments that really did it for me in Blackest Night.

Yes

smokmnky on
    edited April 2010
    All of this talk of the Atom just reminds me of how good the Hakman & The Atom Blackest Night revival was despite me knowing very little about either character

Furu on
    edited April 2010
    I'll care

I'll care
    Sorry, no one at DC would care.

I liked All-New Atom, but I think most of the appeal was in his supporting cast, relationship with Giganta, etc. And since he no longer has his own book, none of that stuff is likely to reappear again, ostensibly making him redundant in the DCU. Though I did like that Ryan was much more of a put-upon geek than Ray.

Munch on
    edited April 2010
    maybe they'll kill him and he can be a ghost detective with the dibneys

all dead characters should become ghost detectives

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg