As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East '11 Costumes!

LoweryiLoweryi Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in PAX Archive
Yes, PAX East '11 might be a long, long ways away, but it's never too early to start planning!

PAX East '10 had a wonderful lot of cosplays, from simple to incredibly intricate. Everyone cosplaying had a ton of fun, and I say this from personal experience! Since I've been perusing the other threads, especially the "what are you doing different for next PAX" thread, I've noticed a lot of people saying they want to give cosplaying a shot.

So if you need any help figuring out what to make a costume of, or if you want advice with a current project, or if you just want suggestions in order to decide what the best costume would be, talk about it here! I can't wait for PAX East '11, because I'm sure it'll just blow this year's batch of cosplays out of the water.

Here's the PAX East '10 Costumes thread, if you want to go and look at all the lovely pictures and videos of devoted and awesome cosplayers.

As for me, I was Vanille this year. Next year, I'm tackling a much more different cosplay: firstly, I'm getting a 3-day pass, so I can try to wear multiple costumes.
I've planned for 2 days to go as Psycho Mantis, from Metal Gear Solid.
The other day, I'm planning on Rosso the Crimson from Dirge of Cerberus.

How about you all? Anyone else already planning/working on their next year's cosplay?

Loweryi on

• Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Gonna bring back the, hopefully unblinded by then, blind Mudkip... Some of you may have seen me during the 1-2 hours I was out, super rare Mudkip sightings!

Anamanguchi saw me...
    25334_381611519379_503584379_3520402_5743126_n.jpg

Edit: Gonna fix some noticeable issues with that cosplay, in addition to the blind thing...

Edit2: Anamanaguchi's website keeps getting updated and therefore corrupting the link :(, so above is another picture of me with someone :P.

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You started the topic! : D Woot. Was gunna get around to it when it was closer to the time, but you beat me too it.

Hmmmm I'm not sure what I'm going to do.
    I'm going to get a three day pass this time, for sure, but I'm not sure if I'm going to use multiple costumes.
    I might be the witch again, and make it a tradition.
    I'm not sure.

RainbowTunnel on
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think you need a witch assistant. Someone with an mp3 player with two tracks: "WitchEncroacher.wav" and "PsychoWitch.wav" and switch between the two when someone startles the witch. :-) (files in Steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead\left4dead\sound\music\witch )

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i saw a professor layton cosplay, i wanted that hat sooooo badly

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    mspencer wrote: »
    I think you need a witch assistant. Someone with an mp3 player with two tracks: "WitchEncroacher.wav" and "PsychoWitch.wav" and switch between the two when someone startles the witch. :-) (files in Steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead\left4dead\sound\music\witch )

LOL that would be sweet. Finding the tracks would be the easy part. The hard part would be spending the money to buy a portable mp3 player loud enough... and I know none of my friends have any.

RainbowTunnel on
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

LOL that would be sweet. Finding the tracks would be the easy part. The hard part would be spending the money to buy a portable mp3 player loud enough... and I know none of my friends have any.

You just need a discrete pair of speakers that will plug into a headphone jack. Then you can incorporate them into your costume somehow, under clothes or something.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    'T''T' King in the North BostonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm thinking of going as a sort of grunge ProtoMan (inspired by the Protomen's helmet and arm cannon) but with like a full suit. And a tattered yellow cape, and a bitching used shield. Uhm...yeah.

'T' on
    15e5VyH.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Liger wrote: »

You just need a discrete pair of speakers that will plug into a headphone jack. Then you can incorporate them into your costume somehow, under clothes or something.

You realize what you're saying, right?

RainbowTunnel on
  • Options
    gilby123gilby123 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah...hiding much of anything might be tough.

gilby123 on
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the
    world attaching the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples
    of ignorance?" - John Lithgow, 3rd Rock from the Sun
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    If I could figure out a way to make the metal arm/hand in such a way that I could still move it easily and freely to move in a wheelchair, I'd consider being Jet from Bebop. Always like the character.

gilby123 on
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Liger wrote: »

You realize what you're saying, right?

You might have to have them attached to your waistband or something, but I think the overall effect will add to your costume vs. take away. :P OR have someone follow you around with an audio backpack.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    SoyduckSoyduck Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    As soon as I saw all the amazing cosplay at PAX, I realized I needed to be a part of it next year. I have a couple ideas:

Chell from Portal (my friend even has a plushie companion cube I can borrow!)
    Bernadette from Suikoden V
    Viki from Suikoden series

Me & my husband can do a couple together, if I can convince him:
    Geddoe & Queen from Suikoden III
    Mitsuru & Akihiko from Persona III

Soyduck on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Woah, I thought this thread wouldn't go anywhere because it's so darned early, and yet I come back a couple hours later and there's actually responses! Cool!

@Wingedillidan: I saw you! I believe I saw you on an escalator going down while my friends and I were going up. It was pretty great, we all announced that we lieked mudkips.

@RainbowTunnel: Yea, this thread was started partially because I am impatient and want PAX '11 to be here already, and because...I was procrastinating on schoolwork. Ah well. If you were the witch again, that would be awesome because my friends and I didn't get to see you and we really wished we did once Gabe mentioned it at the Q&A. I'm sure if you made it a tradition you'd become even more PAX-famous than you already are!

And in terms of the headphones/speakers, it would be cool if you could enlist one of your friends to go as another special infected who actually has more clothing in which to put a speaker to follow around close to you, or something like that.

@T: That would be awesome. DO IT. If the Protomen show up next year I'm sure they'll love it (along with everyone else at PAX)!

@Gilby123: While I've never seen Bebop, I've seen the character, and he looks pretty awesome. I'm not quite sure how to go about making a metal arm without making it cumbersome, but if I get any ideas I'll post 'em here! If anything, maybe just take some metallic paint and make the 'metal' out of mat board or something, so that it's more moveable?

@Soyduck: it would so awesome to see a Chell! I'm sure everyone would just love the companion cube as well. It would be so amazing if somehow, someone could get a Portal Gun replica like this one.

Loweryi on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Loweryi wrote: »
    @Soyduck: it would so awesome to see a Chell! I'm sure everyone would just love the companion cube as well. It would be so amazing if somehow, someone could get a Portal Gun replica like this one.

*jawdrop* WOW! That is an amazing piece of handiwork! *shakes head* I showed that to my husband ... he's got a couple ideas ... but that is something else! Maybe I'll shoot them a message and ask about specifics. As a perfectionist, I either have to have a gun at least close to that level of intricacy ... or just bring the companion cube, LOL! Thanks for sharing that link!

Soyduck on
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Soyduck wrote: »

*jawdrop* WOW! That is an amazing piece of handiwork! *shakes head* I showed that to my husband ... he's got a couple ideas ... but that is something else! Maybe I'll shoot them a message and ask about specifics. As a perfectionist, I either have to have a gun at least close to that level of intricacy ... or just bring the companion cube, LOL! Thanks for sharing that link!

I believe someone had a prop that Valve even endorsed (wanted one of them, not actually advertised ;p)! I don't know if that one's it; but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    edited April 2010

No problem! I know, it's an absolutely amazing replica. Here's a Video!

He basically says what he did in that video, so if you or your husband understand wires and lights and stuff like that, I'm sure it can be replicated again.

And if you want to commission him/ask about specifics, I believe his email can be found here!

Oh, and this is the same guy that did a ridiculously accurate Big Daddy cosplay as well, with a working drill and lights and everything. This dude knows his stuff. But the best part about his profile is that he says his favorite cosplay so far has been the Cardboard Tube Samurai!

Loweryi on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    @Loweryi: I can and at the same time cannot believe that is the same person who did that amazing Big Daddy! I saw that just before PAX, and was just floored at the immense amount of detail in that costume. We just checked out that video together, thank you for posting it! I think my husband is a little intimidated, but maybe this can be something we learn together, scrapping together our knowledge. I can't believe how the top part is made out of foam underneath!

Haha, Cardboard Tube Samurai! Out of all the cosplays at PAX, the two girls who did that look awesome. I think Fruit Fucker is definitely a close one for me. I got a picture with ... it, and that was one heck of a costume. Between him & the person dressed as Sackboy, I bet they got toasty rather quickly!

I'm talking with someone on the PAX East Facebook wall about being my Aperture Scientist. They can bring cake!

I was hoping to know what your cosplays are, but I've never really played MGS and haven't gotten to Dirge of Cerberus yet, but I looked up Rosso and that is a sweet character! Holy crap ... Psycho Mantis is kickass! Cosplays with full body armor are awesome, especially when you have the body to pull them off. That Dead Space cosplay was unbelievable!

Soyduck on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    @Loweryi: I can and at the same time cannot believe that is the same person who did that amazing Big Daddy! I saw that just before PAX, and was just floored at the immense amount of detail in that costume. We just checked out that video together, thank you for posting it! I think my husband is a little intimidated, but maybe this can be something we learn together, scrapping together our knowledge. I can't believe how the top part is made out of foam underneath!

Haha, Cardboard Tube Samurai! Out of all the cosplays at PAX, the two girls who did that look awesome. I think Fruit Fucker is definitely a close one for me. I got a picture with ... it, and that was one heck of a costume. Between him & the person dressed as Sackboy, I bet they got toasty rather quickly!

I'm talking with someone on the PAX East Facebook wall about being my Aperture Scientist. They can bring cake!

I was hoping to know what your cosplays are, but I've never really played MGS and haven't gotten to Dirge of Cerberus yet, but I looked up Rosso and that is a sweet character! Holy crap ... Psycho Mantis is kickass! Cosplays with full body armor are awesome, especially when you have the body to pull them off. That Dead Space cosplay was unbelievable!

I say go for it! I'm sure that if you guys hit an impasse, then someone here on the forums, or elsewhere in the wonderful world of the internet or what have you, knows how to solve any issues that might come up with the wiring (which I am assuming is the hardest part). It would also be so great if the Cookie/Biscuit Brigade (or, heck, anyone) could make the exact cake from Portal!

I loved seeing the Penny Arcade cosplays, like Automata one and FF and CTS. I felt like I was part of one, big, inside joke! I give so many props to people that were in full body-suit costumes, though (even you, Mudkip! Being blind and not knowing you're talking to Anamanaguchi must have sucked!).

With Rosso, I have every single piece I need for the costume besides the glowy tape I'll use for her legging-things; I just need to put it together once I head back home for the summer. Even though DoC isn't the best Final Fantasy spinoff (heck, what could possibly follow up VII), I really liked Rosso as a character. Badass, redhead, Russian. I fit the bill! (I'm so humble)

And the same thing goes for Mantis: Russian, badass, creepy. So I figured I might as well give it a shot! So far, it's turning out rather well; got the body suit that I need in order to get the gloves and, well, most of the outfit; got the gas mask and new lenses I will replace the regular ones with (because he needs to have creepy orange lenses); and I'm in the process of buying an awesome pair of combat boots I may actually wear casually and not just for crazy cosplays! All that's left is the ridiculous harness thing he wears.

And I have to say, that Dead Space cosplayer made me want to play Dead Space. I was so happy to get a picture with him; granted, he was sponsored by EA (or so I've heard), but nonetheless, it was an amazing cosplay.

Loweryi on
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'd be surprised if there weren't significant Portal 2 news on offer at Prime '10 this year -- remember that SUSPEND UNTIL EEE message I found in the presentation blue screen thing? -- so I'd imagine Chell cosplay would be an extremely good idea. :-)

Maybe it also needs sound. portalgun_shoot_blue1.wav or portalgun_shoot_red1.wav followed by portal_invalid_surface3.wav. "Why are there no portal-compatible surfaces at PAX! The handheld portal device is useless here!"

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    @Gilby123: While I've never seen Bebop, I've seen the character, and he looks pretty awesome. I'm not quite sure how to go about making a metal arm without making it cumbersome, but if I get any ideas I'll post 'em here! If anything, maybe just take some metallic paint and make the 'metal' out of mat board or something, so that it's more moveable?[/URL]

Initially, I though about maybe using some kind of modafied sports gear, painted kind of bronzey-gold, but not sure if it'd work. I have a lot of time to think it over, though, so maybe I'll try a different one.

gilby123 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    @Loweryi: You are right about having the internet as a vast source of info & assistance. Probably nothing that comes up could be solved by someone here (I'm hoping to make more PA forum buddies!) or someone on the interweb. Good point!

Mudkip! Ohh, I felt so sad when I heard they were blind! And how the head was crooked! But Mudkip was so cute anyway, finding out those things just upped the "Aww!" factor! And yes about FF/CTS! We had a couple friends with us that weren't as familiar with the comic ... it was kind of hard to fill them in, but we tried!

Wowowow about your cosplay ideas. Badass and Russian are two awesome adjectives. Off topic but I got to meet some real, live Russians a few weeks ago through my work. They gave us their business cards and a souvenir from Russia and everything. They were awesome! We had a translator ... Russian is such a cool language! Do you have a preference of which cosplay you'd like to do?

Oh wow, weird about DeadSpace person. At least they were getting paid I guess? Haha, I like how someone had pictures of him on here and said "all the girls in my group thought you had a cute butt"!

@mspencer: Oh man, it'd be totally easy to install some kind of sound making device inside a prop-gun! That is a great idea! I love how everyone is integrating sound/music into their costumes. Makes me think of that dude with the suitcase/boom box walking around PAX.

Soyduck on
  • Options
    RayzeRayze Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Next year my boyfriend and I (and maybe my friends if they want to do it and if there are enough of them) will dress up as contestants from Supermarket Sweep (TV game show from the 90s that aired on PAX. Check it out on Youtube). The important thing was picking something that would be relatively easy to recreate as I have no skills whatsoever in creating costumes. My original idea was to dress up as a camper from Salute Your Shorts but I prefer SMS

The big question is whether to bring props. I don't want to lug around an inflated can of 7UP or Hershey Bar

Rayze on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Rayze wrote: »
    Next year my boyfriend and I (and maybe my friends if they want to do it and if there are enough of them) will dress up as contestants from Supermarket Sweep (TV game show from the 90s that aired on PAX. Check it out on Youtube). The important thing was picking something that would be relatively easy to recreate as I have no skills whatsoever in creating costumes. My original idea was to dress up as a camper from Salute Your Shorts but I prefer SMS

The big question is whether to bring props. I don't want to lug around an inflated can of 7UP or Hershey Bar

Hahahaha wow! I remember watching PAX, I tooootally forgot that was a channel! Man Supermarket Sweep was like, me and my grandma's show! Hmm ... maybe you could just carry a shopping basket? Then it could double as a goodies bin?

Salute Your Shorts would be awesome too, though. I think that one kind of resonates more with our generation, like the people who dressed up as contestants on Legends of the Hidden Temple :mrgreen:

Soyduck on
  • Options
    AJ MckayAJ Mckay Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    T wrote:
    I'm thinking of going as a sort of grunge ProtoMan (inspired by the Protomen's helmet and arm cannon) but with like a full suit. And a tattered yellow cape, and a bitching used shield. Uhm...yeah.

You may have a battle on your hands then. I've already started looking into making a MegaMan suit. The only thing really holding me back is transporting it to/from Boston.

AJ Mckay on
    If you need me, I'll be in Stellar Cartography.

->|SHIIIIIRRRRRT|<-
  • Options
    AJ MckayAJ Mckay Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

That guy is a professional prop maker. Check out his blog for other builds (like the Big Daddy). I believe he has a semi-step-by-step of the portal gun on there.

AJ Mckay on
    If you need me, I'll be in Stellar Cartography.

->|SHIIIIIRRRRRT|<-
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Someone should go as Glados for the kicks and giggles. Don't ask me how they'd do that, but they should go anyway.

RainbowTunnel on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Someone should go as Glados for the kicks and giggles. Don't ask me how they'd do that, but they should go anyway.

*gets into the Thinker position* Hmmm ... truly that would be awesome. That would be the ultimate in cosplay + sound technology!

Soyduck on
  • Options
    Panic1080Panic1080 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That was you?! I bow to your awesomeness!

I might go as Gordon Freeman next year.

Panic1080 on
  • Options
    'T''T' King in the North BostonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    AJ Mckay wrote: »
    T wrote:

You may have a battle on your hands then. I've already started looking into making a MegaMan suit. The only thing really holding me back is transporting it to/from Boston.

My current train of thought is to wear the costume there. From house to Boston. Wouldn't be the first time I've done something like that. Just this time it'll be more cumbersome. Also, why must we fight if eventually you know we're just going to team up? ; )

'T' on
    15e5VyH.png
  • Options
    SlayerPathSlayerPath Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The costume I'm gonna do with a likely possibility is reusing my Nick costume from Left 4 Dead 2. However, I am in a midst of plans to try and gather funds in order to make a SEAL Team SIX costume from Counter-Strike Source or try either to make a Charger or Tank outfit.

SlayerPath on
  • Options
    Ghostbusters of NHGhostbusters of NH Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    you bet your asses we'll be coming back!!!

We'll have our Slime Blower done in time too plus we'll be there Saturday and Sunday as well.

Look forward to seeing everyone again!

Ghostbusters of NH on
  • Options
    scrattatatscrattatat BostonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm thinking of doing three different costumes next year. Fancy, right?
    Anywho, I'm definitely re-using my Eureka costume on Friday - blue hair FTW and all that.
    Another day I'm planning on going as Zelda, and reeally hoping some lovely forumers will have some sewing tips and suchlike. I've got a white dress but all the purply bits and fanciness make me @_@; in fear. Link costume help would be awesome too...I feel I've taken on too big a task....*dramatic music*
    For the third day, well... that's a mystery. I've no idea what to do.

@Rainbow, I am in full, complete and overwhealming support of you being the witch again. I just need to remember my medkit, guitar and combat shotgun next year....

@SlayerPath ... same answer as ^ except I'll need moltovs too if you're going to try either of those specials.

I like left for dead. ^_^

scrattatat on
    a4VADIl.png eDL5zgd.png
  • Options
    Andrew TatroAndrew Tatro Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    you bet your asses we'll be coming back!!!

We'll have our Slime Blower done in time too plus we'll be there Saturday and Sunday as well.

Look forward to seeing everyone again!

Thank you for allowing my friend to take your picture, because as he apparently told you I would have to punch him in the beanbag if he didn't. Also thank you for being awesome down at the Rock Band Lounge.

Can anyone in here give me some tips for how to transport a fairly bulky costume on the T aside from "wear it"? I guess I could stuff it in a suitcase, but if there are things like specialty cases and whatnot...

Andrew Tatro on
  • Options
    scrattatatscrattatat BostonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Can anyone in here give me some tips for how to transport a fairly bulky costume on the T aside from "wear it"? I guess I could stuff it in a suitcase, but if there are things like specialty cases and whatnot...

Use the time between now and next year's PAX to develop a hovercraft is my only recommendation. It's always nicer to fly anyway.

scrattatat on
    a4VADIl.png eDL5zgd.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    scrattatat wrote: »

Use the time between now and next year's PAX to develop a hovercraft is my only recommendation. It's always nicer to fly anyway.

My group is also struggling with this question, as we're 90% sure we're doing Big Daddy next year. (Bioshock). It was SO CLOSE to being completed for the one that just happened, but we ran out of paint. Seriously, that was the only thing keeping us from doing it. But next year for sure! We, however, live only an hour away from Boston, and so will be driving it in with a car. If you can't use a car, maybe put it in a box and have a friend or two to help you with it? Then have an extra bag with you for your clothes and coat-check them when you get there (like I did for the witch).

RainbowTunnel on
  • Options
    Krag123Krag123 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well i figure i will join in the fun here..

I am planning to make a Death Korps costume for Pax East 11, but i may try and Make Pax Prime this year for a test run..

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Death_Korps_of_Krieg

Let me know if there are any other 40k players out there, would be cool if we can get a squad together. Also need some tips on how to make a Lasgun or Laspistol

Krag123 on
  • Options
    Andrew TatroAndrew Tatro Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Krag123 wrote: »
    Let me know if there are any other 40k players out there, would be cool if we can get a squad together. Also need some tips on how to make a Lasgun or Laspistol

If you don't use an actual flashlight somehow in the construction I will be a very sad panda. That being said, this might help.

Andrew Tatro on
  • Options
    Krag123Krag123 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Krag123 wrote: »

If you don't use an actual flashlight somehow in the construction I will be a very sad panda. That being said, this might help.

Sweet, thanks for the link. I make no promis of using a real flashlight in the weapon some how, but i will keep it in mind ;)

Krag123 on
  • Options
    crimsong19crimsong19 New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well well well well ... I think that the 10th Doctor shall be making his valiant return for PAX East '11. But I don't know what the dates for the con are at the minute, so ... I hope to be able to go for all 3 days again. And I'll probably be cosplaying on the second day, as that was when I saw the most cosplayers, I would say. Or maybe I'll try to do all 3 days.

crimsong19 on
    PAX East status: Hotel [X] Three-day passes [] Two one-day passes [X] Cookie recipes [X] Transportation [X]
  • Options
    AnnadorkAnnadork Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'd love to cosplay again next year, though I just have a few ideas right now, nothing solid. I've been thinking of Wander from Shadow of the Colossus, or Sheik from Ocarina of Time. Then again I'm coming for three days this time, so I suppose there's no reason I can't do both!

Annadork on
This discussion has been closed.