As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Great Foodening - PAX Foodie Destinations

• mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Druhim wrote: »
    I currently live just north of Ballard in Crown Hill
    before that I lived on First Hill

Have you been to Delancey yet? My fiancee read the blog of the wife of the guy who started it and we've been itching to try it.

mrt144 on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    I haven't yet
    I've seen the buzz, but I'm not yet convinced it's worth the long lines and isn't largely hype

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited April 2010
    I haven't yet
    I've seen the buzz, but I'm not yet convinced it's worth the long lines and isn't largely hype

I felt that way about Paseo but then I was lucky enough to have a team lunch where we went out to the Ballard location on a nice day and there was no line. Hella worth it. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try it out soon once the buzz dies down.

We should consider doing some Pre Prime Pub Meetup at some point.

mrt144 on
    edited April 2010
    mrt144 wrote: »
    I haven't yet

I felt that way about Paseo but then I was lucky enough to have a team lunch where we went out to the Ballard location on a nice day and there was no line. Hella worth it. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try it out soon once the buzz dies down.

if you're talking right before Prime, my experience has been that for me it's not worth it to plan big gatherings around PAX
    I'd much rather get together with at most maybe a dozen people for each meal and play things by ear
    there should be plenty of people I already know coming to PAX that I want to spend time with and the large group events that tend to get organized on here around PAX are anathema to me

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • joel158joel158 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    when in fremont, skip paseo, and go to royal grinders instead. better sandwiches, less wait time, and free gelato samples while you are waiting.

joel158 on
  • David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited April 2010
    joel158 wrote: »
    when in fremont, skip paseo, and go to royal grinders instead. better sandwiches, less wait time, and free gelato samples while you are waiting.
    Royal Grinders is a Penny Arcade favorite.

Blue Moon Burgers (also in Fremont) is also AMAZING. It's basically sex in burger form.

David Coffman on
    edited April 2010
    yeah I'm gonna say cuban beats grinders any day

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited April 2010
    mrt144 wrote: »
    I haven't yet

if you're talking right before Prime, my experience has been that for me it's not worth it to plan big gatherings around PAX
    I'd much rather get together with at most maybe a dozen people for each meal and play things by ear
    there should be plenty of people I already know coming to PAX that I want to spend time with and the large group events that tend to get organized on here around PAX are anathema to me

No, I was thinking long before PAX.

mrt144 on
    edited April 2010
    joel158 wrote: »

Its like comparing Cuban Jazz and Bop.

mrt144 on
  • nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I can't believe Red Mill Burgers hasn't been brought up yet. Interbay and Phinney/Greenwood locations.

nusu on
  • zaxytarazaxytara Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You're going to want to eat late at night, and this will be the place to do it:

Night Kitchen/0.4 miles away/Comfort, Breakfast/$$/http://www.nightkitchenseattle.com/

The Night Kitchen is new (opened on Jan 1st, I believe), and is amazing. It's open from 6pm-9am, serves what one of my friends called "Gourmet Stoner food", and they use local ingredients when they can. I heartily recommend the Beecher's cheese curds.

The owner is really nice and strikes up conversations with guests often. They even have a backroom area that feels like a friend's living room. They encourage you to hang out and play games. I've even walked in on a Sci-Fi story reading!

Definitely check them out and treat your servers well. But save some room for me!

zaxytara on
    edited April 2010
    nusu wrote: »
    I can't believe Red Mill Burgers hasn't been brought up yet. Interbay and Phinney/Greenwood locations.

I do love a Red Mill bacon cheeseburger, but the thing is that Red Mill is more about the accessories than the burger itself. That's not to say the patty is bad, but that some people will judge a burger more by the meat than by the toppings and they like them pretty basic so the meat is the focus. Red Mill burgers are good because of the sauce and cheese and bacon, not so much the patty itself.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited April 2010
    also, not so much for visitors but for locals that live near or in Ballard I highly recommend Tall Grass Bakery for amazing bread. Yes, I know about Great Harvest, and yes there is one in Ballard. Great Harvest does make fine bread. I think Tall Grass makes better. And the best time to stop by Tall Grass is on the weekend (Sat and Sun only, they don't make it on Friday) for their amazing olive bread. It's like a giant chewy pretzel with succulent bits of kalamata olives and onion studded throughout. It's a $7 loaf, but damn is it worth it. Gonna get some this weekend.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Beer Heaven:

Pyramid/1.7 Miles/Pubfood/$
    Excellent Macromicro beers. My favorite's are seasonal ales like Snowcap but the Hefeweizen is their bread and butter beer. Food is typical pubfood.

Elysian/.9 Miles/Pubfood/$
    More crafty with 3 locations in Seattle. My fiancee's favorite is the Dragon's Tooth Stout while I prefer The Immortal IPA. Food has received poor reviews in the past but the beer is great. It might be a good idea eat elsewhere and then head up here to get pissed.

Pike Place Brewery Previous Review

Big Time/3.3 Miles/Pubfood/$
    Up in the U-District there is a place that has gotten me through tough times and created so many good times(Heartbreak, Studying,Dates with my fiancee) . Excellent beers covering all the typical styles and pizza, loaded baked potatoes, and nachos. Their Atlas Ale is the most popular there but I really like the Scarlet Fire and Bahgwans Best IPAs.

Elliot Bay/6.1 Miles/Pubfood/$
    My favorite Brewpub in Seattle. They have a few year round beers and of those the Luna Weizen is my clear favorite. The food is typical pubfood but I really like their burgers the best of the brewpubs. It's kinda funny but part of the reason I'll be moving from Capitol Hill to West Seattle for this place.

Taphouse Grill/.1 Miles/Eclectic Pubfood/$$
    160 Beers on Tap! You'll find Hales, Maritime, Pike Place hell almost any good craft beer AND Belgians here. So help me God if you can't find something you like here. Food is good and different from classic pub fare although sometimes that's all you want.

Cheap Eats:
    Mee Sum Pastry/.4 Miles/Asian Pastry/$
    Located in Pike Place Market they have a few basic things to order. Of those the BBQ Hom Bow is hella good and cheap. The potstickers are okay, but seriously stick to the hombow.

Pho Bac/.3 Miles/Vietnamese and Pho/$
    Located in the Greyhound station building, this place feels like a dive but the food is anything but. It's also ridiculously cheap. Small bowls (which are gigantic) of beef Pho are 6 and change. Don't let appearances fool you, this place is great.

Dick's/.8/Burgers/$
    Cheap, Fast, Grubtastic. A Seattle institution for over 50 years, these little burgers are a post drinking ritual. The fries are softer and and oily but so freaking good. The shakes are the final piece of a delicious hang over lunch or 1:30 AM pig out. My fiancee claims that they have magical tartar sauce(which they put on the Special and Deluxe) It should be noted that they have no seating except for their Queen Anne location (Which is not likely where you'll be going). There are few smells in this world that compare to it. I live slightly downwind from the Capitol Hill Dick's on E Thomas St. and on cold nights with a little breeze you will get the craving the instant you smell it. That greasy burger. That American cheese. The fry oil. There are people that will say they aren't that good and I agree, their burgers arent the best burgers in the world. But they own the cheap fast and ridiculous craving inducing market in Seattle.

Mae Phim Thai/.3 Miles/$
    Primarily a lunch spot this place does cheap Thai right. They also do takeout and not just takeout food but you can get Thai Iced Tea and Coffee to go. I know that caffeine is integral to PAX enjoyment.

mrt144 on
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This is the kind of food thread I've been looking for for years. I saw someone started on a map, but heck I may start a preliminary Google maps version when I get home tonight.

ASimPerson on
    edited April 2010
    Queen Anne:
    Tup Tim Thai/2.0 Miles/Thai/$
    My favorite Thai place on Queen Anne, I primarily go for the classic meal dishes; Green Curry, Pad Thai, Swimming Rama. It's pretty low key but excellent and filling.

Panos Kleftiko/1.6 Miles/Greek/$$
    Leave the Gyros to Pita Express, this place is traditional Greek with so many great dishes. The
    arni kleftiko sto psomi is probably the signature dish there. It's lamb baked insides sourdough bread with feta and onions and other stuff. Smaller space so it may take while to get seated.

Peso's/2.1 Miles/Mexican Cantina/$
    I've been here strictly for drinks and happy hour and it doesn't disappoint. The various appetizers are cheap the drinks satisfying, and the space large enough to handle groups of 8-12. I'd order one of everything on the menu.

mrt144 on
  • MrDoctorProfessorMrDoctorProfessor Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    This is the kind of food thread I've been looking for for years. I saw someone started on a map, but heck I may start a preliminary Google maps version when I get home tonight.

By all means. Im having a hard enough time sitting down and compiling everything into the OP. I figured I would sporadically work on the map and post it up a few weeks before PAX, but if you want to lend a hand, like I said, by all means. What I was planning on doing was a map with a big YOU ARE HERE star over the expo with little numbered dots over all the restaurants then on the back I was going to put the name, address, type of food and cost with a little blurb describing the establishment.

MrDoctorProfessor on
    noAZAb5.png?1
    Hey Satan!
    Steam
    edited April 2010
    West Seattle:
    Pegasus Pizza/7.3 Miles/Pizza/$$
    Located on Alki Beach, the scenery is every bit as good as the pizza. The crust is thick unlike the current trend towards thing crust which makes it unique. Tom's Special is the go to pizza here with sunflower seeds and shredded pepperoni.

Salty's/5.6 miles/Brunch Buffet/$$$
    This is the place to get your brunch grub on. Crab legs, eggs Benedict, omelet bar, waffles, everything. Yes, it's touristy. Yes, it's buffet. Yes, it's 35 per person. It's so worth it though to eat such good food, have a beautiful view of Seattle with all you can eat. If you set up your reservation through the SCVB concierge you can also get a complimentary shuttle ride to the restaurant.

mrt144 on
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, Salty's for brunch is the place everyone goes with visitors for brunch but for good reason. It is a great view of the city across Elliott Bay and the brunch is really good. :^:

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited April 2010
    So a silly idea I just had was to print up the final product of this into a sort of Pax Zagat's guide and "selling" them for childsplay donations. Does anyone think this would be successful enough to warrant the work that would go into it?

MrDoctorProfessor on
    noAZAb5.png?1
    Hey Satan!
    Steam
    edited April 2010
    So a silly idea I just had was to print up the final product of this into a sort of Pax Zagat's guide and "selling" them for childsplay donations. Does anyone think this would be successful enough to warrant the work that would go into it?

Maybe if we did it on a donation basis.

mrt144 on
    edited April 2010
    U District:
    Big Time
    See previous Review

Mamma Melina Ristorante/3.8 Miles/Italian/$$
    One of the more renowned Italian restaurants in Seattle and a classic date spot, this delivers the atmosphere with live piano, excellent food, and slightly dimmed lighting. With most places like this the wait can take a while especially for larger groups but that shouldn't dissuade you from making the venture.

Cedar's/4.2 Miles/Indian/$$
    During the summer months this is the spot to relax and drink glass after glass of iced Chai tea. Why? because it's awesome and you get free refills. I swear by Cedar's being one of the best Indian in Seattle. The garlic naan is particularly good, which seems kind of a silly thing to mention but when you're sopping up curry and korma it's great.

Ballard:
    King's Hardware/5.2 Miles/Burgers and Pub Snacks/$
    I call this the "Linda's of Ballard" because of the plethora of trophy animals and the hipster makeup of the clientele. They even share the Buffalo Burger which uses Frank's Hot Sauce and Blue Cheese. But the food here beats the pants off of Linda's. The Five Alarm burger is particularly good too as are the fries. Also, one of the only places in Seattle that has Hamm's on tap.

Ray's Boathouse/7.3 Miles/Seafood/$$$
    Ray's is what turned me on to seafood six years ago. Amazing crab cakes, amazing views, a plethora of fish to choose from. During the summer months you can not beat the views from here. I remember joking that it looked like Mordor when viewing Olympic Mountains across the Sound. This would be a great place wrap up the entire place.

Fremont:
    Paseo/3.2 Miles/Cuban Sandwiches/$
    It's trendy and busy. It's a sandwich. There's little seating. But it's worth it. Totally and utterly worth it. The sweet sauce with the onions and grilled meats, of which there several to choose from, are perfect on a baguette. Don't let anyone tell you different, this is definitely worth the journey and the wait.

Breakfast:
    Linda's/.5 Miles/Burgers and Pub Food/$
    The best cheapest breakfast you can get in Seattle. On the weekend the do breakfast service which features pretty basic eggs, meat, hash brown combos and omelets. They also have the Buffalo Mary which is your standard Bloody Mary but features a piece of Buffalo Jerky in it. If you go early enough there won't be a wait.

Portage Bay/1.1 Miles/Breakfast/$$
    The original location is up in the U-District but there is a location in South Lake Union now. This place can get pretty packed but there's a reason for that; generous portions, high quality, and unique dishes. I swear by their omelets but the pancakes and waffles give you the choice of fruit and nut toppings. This is a place my out of town friends keep wanting to go back to when they visit.

Etta's/.8 Miles/Seafood Breakfast/$$$
    Tom Douglas' entry into the breakfast arena. It lives up to the standard he has set and gives you a chance to try out one of the things that made him so famous; crab cakes. But not just crab cakes, a crab cake Benedict. I'm always looking for a good Benedict, whether Florentine, classic, or crab cake and this knocks it out of the park. On the brunch menu, they also offer more lunch oriented entrees like a burger and roasted chicken.

Dessert:
    B&O Espresso/1.0 Miles/Bakery and Middle Eastern/$$
    The dinner here is decent but not the best value when compared to a place like Mediterranean Kitchen in Bellevue and Kirkland (If you had the time to venture over to the East Side this is where I would recommend you eat. They'll be catering my wedding next year and I pretty much make any excuse to go there for special occasions and people out of town). The thing that really shines here is the dessert though; Cheesecake is phenomenal and my fiancee and her mom are huge fans of the sour cream lemon pie. If you love creme brulee this is the spot for you. If you grab a table and sit down to enjoy desert be sure to get a cup of coffee to compliment your dessert.

Dilettante/1.1 Miles/Bakery and Chocolates/$$:
    Chocolate Heaven. There are several different pieces of cake varying in chocolate type, chocolate filling and icing, and density of the cake. It's dark wood and dimly lit interior make this and ideal after meal date dessert place but you can grab slices of cake to go. Is there anything better than a dark chocolate with a big glass of milk and a big cup of coffee?

Places I forgot about:
    Via Tribunali/.6 Miles/Napoli Pizza/$$
    One of a handful places in Seattle that is certified by the VPN, they serve up the authentic Naples style pizza. It's delicious and you have several options for fresh and high quality toppings. The location is popular and the decor is trendy which makes this spot hot. Wait time might be a while but if you need to get your pizza on this is one of the best places to do so.

Baguette Box/.3 Miles/Eclectic Sandwiches/$
    Popular lunch spot for the downtown crowd, this place offers several different sandwiches with unique and fancy twists. I'm a fan of leg of lamb and cucumber yogurt sandwich. Offers box lunches with carrots and banana bread which makes this a healthy and delicious option. Of course you can always go unhealthy and get the truffle fries and a Limonata.

Machiavelli/.4 Miles/Italian American food/$
    Inexpensive and delicious Italian American food. The space is small so the wait might be long but you can get your grub on for cheap on fresh Italian American classics. I usually recommend this place to people who are on a budget but want a fun and romantic date spot. Half carafes of the house wine are such a great value. I can't believe this wasn't at the top of my list the first time around. If you pay in cash you get a 5% discount.

mrt144 on
    edited April 2010
    I want to set up some sort of twitter thing so people can post where they are going to eat if they want other people to tag along. I have no clue how twitter works though. I know there is all sorts of #'s and @'s. Does anyone have any idea on how to set something like that up?

MrDoctorProfessor on
    noAZAb5.png?1
    Hey Satan!
    Steam
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I want to set up some sort of twitter thing so people can post where they are going to eat if they want other people to tag along. I have no clue how twitter works though. I know there is all sorts of #'s and @'s. Does anyone have any idea on how to set something like that up?

Well, you could start a list called Pax Foodies, and then twitterers could follow that list and know where everyone is

Or one person could start @PAX_Foodies and we could all follow that one account as a central planning hub

Usagi on
    edited April 2010
    El Puerco Lloron/0.5 miles/Mexican/$
    Love this place (and I can't believe Dru didn't already suggest them!). Located in sort of the back of Pike's Place market, it does authentic and delicious Mexican treats. Go get the tamales and the carnitas, you won't be sorry.

Shiro's/1.0 miles/Sushi/$$-$$$
    Tiny little sushi place with the freshest ingredients and just the best waitstaff you can imagine. It's very traditional and a little pricey, but definitely worth it if you'd like a nice, quiet place to eat with a small group of people.

Black Bottle/1.1 miles/American High-End Tavern/$-$$
    The wild boar ribs. Get the boar ribs. And the blood orange martini. As Dru mentioned before, this is a bar that happens to serve really delicious tapas-style plates of delicious foods. It's has a decent sized dining area, we fit eight people pretty comfortably, and they do take reservations (unlike so many bars in that area).

Purple/0.5 miles/Wine Bar-American-Tapas/$-$$$
    A restaurant jammed into an old library, its as fun to look around at the decorations as it is to eat there. Again, they have a selection of tasting/tapas items that cater to many price levels, as well as a selection of larger entrees. It's hard to describe but the food is fantastic and you can definitely tell they use the freshest of local ingredients.

Usagi on
    edited April 2010
    Well look at you. All reppin' Seattle like a local. :)

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited April 2010
    I am a local! I just don't live there yet! :D

Usagi on
    edited April 2010
    Now im stuck with the quandary of figuring where to eat and if I really want to miss PAX enough to go eat.

MrDoctorProfessor on
    noAZAb5.png?1
    Hey Satan!
    Steam
  • edg2000edg2000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    We found this place 2 years ago our first trip down. Never seemed too busy, and a quick 5 minute walk from the convention center. Also, GREAT place to cure a hangover :)

Elephant and Castle
    .2 miles
    British Pub Fare
    $-$$
    http://www.elephantcastle.com/content/locations/seattle

edg2000 on
    Enforcer Years: P10 P11 P15 W16 W17
    7 PAX veteran
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I compiled many of the places mentioned in the thread into this map:
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=111987484852318922417.0004838d77a92346d635b

I left some places out (esp. places that were more than about a mile from the convention center). I'll probably add those on a second go-around.

ASimPerson on
  • ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wow mrt is dominating! And I mean that in a UT99 sense. However, some places are being overlooked that I, as a 3rd generation native who lived there for over two decades, cannot allow.

Maggie Bluffs / 3.9 / American / $$ / maggiebluffs.com

Dick's may be the best fast burger in town, and Blue Moon is nothing to sneeze at, but if I want the best burger ever I go to Maggie's. I only found out about the place in the last couple years, and I wish I had known about earlier.

I notice that no Chinese places have been recommended, so I offer these (bear in mind, these are REAL Chinese restaurants! Not Americanized bland crap!):

Shanghai Garden / 1.2 / Chinese / $$ / Placeholder site only

I used to live in CT/ID (Chinatown/International District), and in my opinion the best Chinese restaurant is Shanghai Garden. Their hand-shaven noodles are amazing as are their signature Shanghai steamed dumplings.

Honey Court / 1.2 / Chinese / $$ (dim sum cheap $ for any sizable group)/ None

Honey Court is a solid alternative, and they're open all the way to 2 am on Fri-Sat, but I won't make any specific recommendations because for some reason everything I like there everybody else hates (come on, minced pork with steamed egg is good!). They are also really great for dim sum, which you will find there during the brunch hour. Hypatia runs a PAX dim sum excursion there every year (continuing a tradition I started), if you watch the forums you might be able to get on board.

China Gate / 1.3 / Chinese / $$ / China Gate

China Gate used to be my favorite for dim sum before Honey Court eclipsed them. They still make a good back up, but I wouldn't go for dinner, they're a bit expensive and I'm not sure about the quality. They will make a lot of things that other places don't however, and they have a sort of secret menu of stuff, so if you're craving something esoteric from Chinese cuisine, they are more likely to hook you up than the others (but I'm probably the only one who finds that useful).

Bush Garden / 1.3 / Japanese / $$ / Bush Garden

Where Japanese food is concerned, Bush Garden is always first in my mind. Around since the 19-fucking-50s this is practically the original Japanese restaurant in Seattle, and as an institution it does show its age. The service is hit or miss, so don't be scared by the reviews online, but their sukiyaki is delicious, their sushi is fresh (if a bit traditional compared to all the crazy creations elsewhere in the city), and their sake selection is competent. Try the Ebi Bacon Maki, seriously. OMG.

Fuji Sushi / 1 / Japanese / $$ / None

Fuji Sushi is a good, quiet backup, once again more traditional. I only come here for sushi, so I can't speak to their other menu items, but that much is fresh.

Umi Sake House / 0.9 / Japanese fusion / $$ / Umi Sake House

If you want crazy sushi + the best sake selection in the city, go to Umi Sake House. Umi can be loud and crowded with Belltown yuppies, and commensurately a little overpriced, but their rolls range from creative and inspired to downright madness.

I'll add some more later. I suppose I need to do actual work now.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
    edited April 2010
    I just noticed that the Hurricane has been mentioned but not Beth's! This travesty shall not stand!

Beth's Cafe / 6 / American Diner / $ / Beth's!

Around since the 50s, Beth's is a Seattle institution. I have probably eaten here more than any other 24 hour diner in Seattle. Try the Northsider with a side of bacon mixed into it. Fuck. Yes. Or the breakfast burger and the Six Dollar Shake. Just don't mess with the 12 egg omelette. Only BigRed is man enough for that. Also, be sure to look closely at all the wall art. A lot of local artists go here and draw some of the awesomest random shit and it goes up on the walls.

(And for those who don't know, there is an ongoing schoolyard rivalry between Beth's and The Hurricane, so you might earn points with the staff if you badmouth them.)
    ((For the record I like The Hurricane too, but that's between you and me...))

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    We tried Shanghai Garden due to recommendations from this forum a couple years ago and have not missed it since. It really is as good as everyone says!

We also tried Fuji Sushi and were not impressed. There is a much better Japanese restaurant (not specifically sushi) literally half a block away, the name of which I can never remember, but it is uphill and to the right... and goggle maps to the rescue:

Maneki Restaurant is one of only three places in Seattle that we've been to multiple times.

(The other two are the aforementioned Shanghai Garden and a little cafe on 4th and Seneca: Belle Epicurean. Silly name, but awesome pastries and perfect light breakfasts.)

Stupid on

26904.png
    edited April 2010
    I've never been to Maneki, though I've heard a lot of good things about it... too many in fact. I think it might be too popular for me. Things that are that popular tend to be compromised in terms of authenticity... like Wild Ginger.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
    edited April 2010
    Hmmm... no mention of ...

The Pink Door / 0.7 / Italian fusion / $$ / The Pink Door

Really a good place for dinner in the Market. I had some gnocchi there that was better than sex. Just don't have the veal (looks like they took it off the menu anyway).

Chinook's / 4.9 / Seafood / $$ / Chinook's

As for seafood, I would usually go to Chinook's, a lesser known outpost of the Anthony's empire. However that may simply be from habit as my parents have been taking me there since early childhood. Really good fish and chips there, far better than the swill from Ivarr's.

The Continental / 4.6 / Greek as hell / $ / None

A little out of the way, the Continental has the best Greek food in the area in my opinion, and although it may or may not be on the menu (ask for it!), they have a microbrew root beer that will floor you. Everybody I've ever introduced to it has been stunned. Best root beer ever.

And don't you dare go to those posers at Costa's at the end of the block! Pissants have the weakest, least Greek menu ever.

Racha / 2.2 / Thai / $$ / Racha

It may just be the best Thai food in the state. Just don't go there before a Seattle Opera performance, the proximity just packs the place.

Djan's / 4.1 / Thai fusion / $$ / Djan's

Djan's is a great Thai fusion place that gets out of the average Thai food box. Very cozy atmosphere too derived from its location in a converted house.

(BTW, all of what I have mentioned in these posts are culled directly from my posts from previous years, so if you do any searches of older threads and find the wording mostly identical, it's because I'm largely copying and pasting myself.)

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • atiariatiari Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    babelfish wrote: »
    Of equal importance to foodie destinations are foodie friends.

My problem? I don't have any. All of my PAX friends like to hang around the convention center as much as humanly possible. The farthest away I've been with them to eat is Pacific Place.

So, here's the deal: I think we need some sort of foodie networking here. I'm not very brave about going into restaurants alone. I'm especially not brave about going into restaurants I've never been to alone. With you, though... with you, I can do anything. Eat anything. (Not really. I know this is blasphemy, living on the west coast, but I don't care for sushi, and I can't stand salmon.)

Someone help me out with this.

I'm not local, but I'm flying in with my business partner and we're both foodies. We'll make some plans via PMs if you want (i.e. hit me up if you are interested).

atiari on
  • PinderPinder Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Discovered this awesome Cafe/Wine Bar with my friends last Friday, definitely worth stopping by:

Fontè / 0.5 Miles / Soups,Sandwiches,etc. / $$ / Fontè Coffee

Pinder on
    This signature intentionally left blank.
  • KjeldorKjeldor Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    Hmmm... no mention of ...

The Pink Door / 0.7 / Italian fusion / $$ / The Pink Door

Really a good place for dinner in the Market. I had some gnocchi there that was better than sex. Just don't have the veal (looks like they took it off the menu anyway).

mmmmmm.....yes. ate there with some friends during PAX08, and remember it being pretty tasty.

Kjeldor on
  • Masquerade78Masquerade78 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    nemaihne wrote: »
    Last year I ate at a sandwich shop up the hill called the Honey Hole. The BBQ was pretty good, and with a name like that it was certainly worth stopping by just to see what it was all about...

I love the Honey Hole. They always have a great girlie drink special. :mrgreen:

Masquerade78 on
  • NovaFlaresNovaFlares Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    King's Barbeque/A little over a mile/Hong Kong Style BBQ (Roasted Pork, BBQ Pork, Roast Duck, and Curried Squid)/$

you get 2 meat items and a fuck ton of rice for around 5.75

NovaFlares on
This discussion has been closed.