As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The best things go in my mouth [COCK]

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Are we talking about beer in here still? Good, because April 1 was the initial shelf date for Bell's Oberon summer ale (the best beer in the world) and I'm definitely planning a beer-fetching road trip to PA

Usagi on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    TAKE ME

and stop by rob's house

if that fucker won't come to us, we'll come to him

Faricazy on
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Usagi wrote: »
    Are we talking about beer in here still? Good, because April 1 was the initial shelf date for Bell's Oberon summer ale (the best beer in the world) and I'm definitely planning a beer-fetching road trip to PA

Pardon?

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    celandinecelandine Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i'm fascinated by taste. like the way beer tastes to me, i can't even imagine drinking enough of it to change anything. it is just gross. but other people just find it kind of unpleasant and then come to love it, and then i've known others who claim to have just enjoyed it from the start. why?

I got in the habit of sipping beer to be polite at parties. Hated it. Never finished a can. Then I had a fancy micro-brew and I fell in love. Turns out I still hate lager/Bud/anything yellow, but I like darker beers/ales.
    Also Chimay. Pricey, but you should have it once.

So that's my "how I learned to love beer" story.

My mother had a weirder story: she hated beer until she had her first child. Apparently breastfeeding messes with your sense of taste to make you love beer.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    http://numberblog.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited April 2010
    You guys are more than welcome to come to my house :)

Unknown User on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    i'm fascinated by taste. like the way beer tastes to me, i can't even imagine drinking enough of it to change anything. it is just gross. but other people just find it kind of unpleasant and then come to love it, and then i've known others who claim to have just enjoyed it from the start. why?

I think this illustrates a fundamentally different approach to food and drink that some people have and will never really understand people on the other side of the aisle so to speak. To me, questions like yours initially boggle my mind. I'm so used to acquiring a taste for something I didn't initially like that I'm kind of flabbergasted by people who don't understand this. But for some people it really is as simple as, "I didn't like that so why would I ever eat it again? Get it away from me asshole." I don't know if it's just that they're much less adventurous when it comes to eating, and they tend to stick to a much narrower range of stuff they already know they like. I suspect this is the case.

Now when I say I'm used to acquiring a taste for things, that doesn't mean that I keep trying anything I didn't like until I do like it. It's a matter of experience and it's difficult to explain to someone that doesn't get it. But there are some things that I can just tell I will probably never like, or that I dislike so much it's not worth trying it again any time soon. And then there are times when I may not like something, but I can recognize some quality about it that will just take repeated exposure. That I don't like it simply because it's unfamiliar and jarring.

Alcohol is a good example of this. I certainly didn't enjoy beer when I first tried it, and it wasn't like I was pounding brews all the time even though I didn't like it. I just gradually tried different beers, and found some were more tolerable than others. Over time, my tastes changed and I came to appreciate beer more. Now sake is something I'm not a big fan of. I can drink it, and as a social activity I could enjoy it, but I also am pretty sure that if I invested time and money into exploring sake that I'd come to like it more and narrow down which sakes I like and dislike with experience. But I don't really have much incentive right now to do so. Perhaps later.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    DrZiplock wrote: »

Pardon?

Beer and sunshine are propelling me out of the house sometime in the next month or so, I will definitely give you the heads up before it happens

Usagi on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Warm sake goes down like water and is a big part of why I was getting completely bombed in japan.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Warm good sake

Shitty sake still tastes like dog shit when warm

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh and I chugged plum wine and belched out Sapporo beer

Most Japanese guys are pussies while drinking

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    DrZiplock wrote: »

Pardon?

Beer and sunshine are propelling me out of the house sometime in the next month or so, I will definitely give you the heads up before it happens

We'll be up long island way end of May. Don't know what the schedule holds, but I'll do the same.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Excellent!

Usagi on
  • Options
    TallaclasseeTallaclassee you ever seen a lion limber up before it takes down a gazelleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    FOOD THREAD

my friend asa who worked at the same restaurant i worked at in charlottesville has made this website relevant to food thread and penny-arcade's interests

watch!

http://www.kitchenkablamo.com/

Tallaclassee on
  • Options
    slowslow Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    hi5

bought a case of this on saturday

slow on
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Looking in my fridge, I came to realize something interesting last night.

I have a lot of pickled...things.

I have banana pepper rings, asparagus, beats, carrots, and green beans. Also have some antipasto.

The last four on that list are homemade.

In fact the only thing I don't seem to have is actual Pickles.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    FOOD THREAD

my friend asa who worked at the same restaurant i worked at in charlottesville has made this website relevant to food thread and penny-arcade's interests

watch!

Well. It's not terrible.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    ipa's are terrible and dru smells bad

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    PiptheFair wrote: »

someone needs a huuuuug

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010

one truth, one lie comics by Pip

Usagi on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    FOOD THREAD

watch!

my recommendation is that aside from the layout which I don't really care for (he seems to be going for a layout that ties in with comic books but it's just ugly to me), he should lose the explanation about why he's doing it

save that for a bio page where people who care can read about his background
    for a video, get to the goods quickly and show us why we should keep watching because he doesn't have the charisma (at least not yet) to keep me watching as he carries on about how he got into cooking and why he's doing the show

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010

one truth, one lie comics by Pip

it's true, I do smell bad :(

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    robothero wrote: »

I would eat that if baked and in a pinch, like if there was no baconator in the vicinity

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So I was frying some store bought pierogi last night, they were potato, bacon, and romano.

Then I thought, "Fuck it, I'm jazzin these up."

And fried some shallots in there as well.

mmmmmm MMH!

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Druhim wrote: »
    my recommendation is that aside from the layout which I don't really care for (he seems to be going for a layout that ties in with comic books but it's just ugly to me), he should lose the explanation about why he's doing it

for a video, get to the goods quickly and show us why we should keep watching because he doesn't have the charisma (at least not yet) to keep me watching as he carries on about how he got into cooking and why he's doing the show

Yeah, I'd say that intro can be axed. I also felt the delivery was weak, but the guy seems to have the potential to warm up and cleaner editing could help the timing. I thought most of the writing was decent with some legitimately good spots. A better sound mic solution would increase the production an entire professional order of magnitude.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    FOOD THREAD

watch!

I agree with all of this.

And that smoothie has nearly a full meal's worth of calories in it, if you're using low fat yogurt.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I should clarify I wasn't critiquing the rest of the video. I only watched the first couple of minutes.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I think this illustrates a fundamentally different approach to food and drink that some people have and will never really understand people on the other side of the aisle so to speak. To me, questions like yours initially boggle my mind. I'm so used to acquiring a taste for something I didn't initially like that I'm kind of flabbergasted by people who don't understand this. But for some people it really is as simple as, "I didn't like that so why would I ever eat it again? Get it away from me asshole." I don't know if it's just that they're much less adventurous when it comes to eating, and they tend to stick to a much narrower range of stuff they already know they like. I suspect this is the case.

Now when I say I'm used to acquiring a taste for things, that doesn't mean that I keep trying anything I didn't like until I do like it. It's a matter of experience and it's difficult to explain to someone that doesn't get it. But there are some things that I can just tell I will probably never like, or that I dislike so much it's not worth trying it again any time soon. And then there are times when I may not like something, but I can recognize some quality about it that will just take repeated exposure. That I don't like it simply because it's unfamiliar and jarring.

Alcohol is a good example of this. I certainly didn't enjoy beer when I first tried it, and it wasn't like I was pounding brews all the time even though I didn't like it. I just gradually tried different beers, and found some were more tolerable than others. Over time, my tastes changed and I came to appreciate beer more. Now sake is something I'm not a big fan of. I can drink it, and as a social activity I could enjoy it, but I also am pretty sure that if I invested time and money into exploring sake that I'd come to like it more and narrow down which sakes I like and dislike with experience. But I don't really have much incentive right now to do so. Perhaps later.

I am exactly the same way.

I really didn't care for whiskey when I first started drinking, and I am sure that that was mostly due to the fact that I was doing shots of Jack.

But I kept at it and I found stuff that I like and now I am a huge fan of whiskey.

Also, IPA's are the best beer ever and anyone who dosen't like them is WRONG

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    IRAs though

gotta squint those suckers down

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i don't and i'm trying to get across that sometimes people don't like beer

i've gotten really frustrated over the years by how everyone thinks that it's just a matter of finding the right beer

That's fair and all, but neville seemed to be open to continuing to try beers, so people made recommendations.

Anyway, the best way to find out if you like beer or not is to go do back breaking labor under a hot sun all day, and then pound the coldest, cheapest lager you can find.

edit: Also, in regards to your previous post, it's not even necessarily a matter of a discerning or experienced palette. Yeah, most beers are different within a limited range, but there are a number of major outliers in all directions. There are beers that really taste only like fruit or chocolate or roast beef (I did not enjoy this at all, nor did I order it so, not my fault), or a number of other things that aren't beer. Some types of lambic just taste like a deep red.

Yeah, I'm not saying that I will necessarily like it, but I do know when I was younger, there were a number of foods I despised, but now I like if prepared properly: beets, sweet potatoes, bell peppers, brussel sprouts.

So it isn't impossible that I could find a beer, or pairing of beer + food, that I enjoy. Annie knows enough about beer that I'll trust his suggestions.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

well you sort of answered my question in the second paragraph even though you seem to be misinterpreting me totally. i'm pretty adventurous when it comes to food, i've had a lot of development in my taste for wine/liquor, and in general i'm always someone who is interested in finding what other people see in something that they love. but there are certain tastes that i find so instantly repulsive (generally involving bitterness) and i've always wondered about differing tastes and what purpose it could possibly serve for people to evolutionarily like different tastes.

satansfingers on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

well you sort of answered my question in the second paragraph even though you seem to be misinterpreting me totally. i'm pretty adventurous when it comes to food, i've had a lot of development in my taste for wine/liquor, and in general i'm always someone who is interested in finding what other people see in something that they love. but there are certain tastes that i find so instantly repulsive (generally involving bitterness) and i've always wondered about differing tastes and what purpose it could possibly serve for people to evolutionarily like different tastes.

Seriously? You don't instantly get this?
    Uhhhh...

If everyone wants X, then the demand is greater, so if there isn't enough X to go around, some people die.
    If some people prefer Y, and some prefer Z, then the demand on X is less, so people have a higher chance to survive.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If everyone wants neville, then the damand is greater, so if there isn't enough neville to go around, some people cry.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Butters wrote: »
    If everyone wants neville, then the damand is greater, so if there isn't enough neville to go around, some people cry.

smooches.

Also, I ate some of the tarts I got from foodzie and they were amazing!

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Neville as you are good at swapping out ingredients and what not can I ask you the general rules?

Like for the orange creme brulees would a rough rule of thumb be figure out how much sugar in the orange juice you put in there and subtract it out of a regular vanilla creme brulee recipe (and obvious and the zest and take out the vanilla bean)?

Blake T on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

Every time I feel like you might not suck, you go and prove me wrong!

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I am exactly the same way.

I really didn't care for whiskey when I first started drinking, and I am sure that that was mostly due to the fact that I was doing shots of Jack.

But I kept at it and I found stuff that I like and now I am a huge fan of whiskey.

Also, IPA's are the best beer ever and anyone who dosen't like them is WRONG

Any time someone tells me they don't like the taste of beer, I want to sit them down with a big ol' list of different types of beer and just see how thorough they've been.

Typically what people who say this mean is that they don't like the taste of Budwieser (which is perfectly acceptable), and are just too ignorant to know better.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Nogs wrote: »
    IRAs though

gotta squint those suckers down

Yeah, I tried my first Russian the other day.

It was

um

well, I finished it.

I don't think I'm old enough for them yet.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    speaking of russian

20100407-fbgfn895demem6n7r123kdj96g.jpg

this is good beer

i don't think i've disliked any of Baltika varieties

Faricazy on
  • Options
    LinksvilleLinksville Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Before this thread gets locked, people should go to this website: http://www.poorgirleatswell.com/

Linksville on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That is a great link dude.

Blake T on
This discussion has been closed.