As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ipod question time

-Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining.Registered User regular
I couldn't find a dedicated ipod or apple thread, if there is one, point me there, otherwise, question time.

I originally used my PSP for music, but since my album collection has exploded and the PSP lacks a decent amount of storage and any form of playlists without using the bloated POS called Media Go, I've decided to get a 160gb ipod classic. I'm not interested in games (I still have my PSP for that) or cameras, I just want assloads of space in a little device for music, so ipod classic it is. But I have a few questions before I dive in.

1. Considering I already have a huge collection of albums in mp3 format that I play on my PSP, will I be able to dump these into iTunes immediately or will I need iTunes to convert the CD's all over again?

2. Will I be able to use mp3's bought in iTunes on other devices? Like, I'd still have music on my PSP and PS3 for games that have custom soundtracks. Can I grab stuff I bought from iTunes and put them on these as well?

3. I have an external hard drive for backing up media. Can I back up my stuff on that hassle free?

4. Is there any way to browse the iTunes catalog without downloading the software? I wouldn't mind checking out some pricing before I grab my new toy.

I might have other questions if I think of any, but they are my burning questions.

-Loki- on

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    1. You can put mp3s into iTunes to use with any iPod just fine. Most of the music I have is from before I started buying any through iTunes, from CDs I owned or good old Napster.

2. I think DRM on iTunes mp3s has been stripped out completely, so you shouldn't have any problem playing them on other devices.

3. Yes - DRM-free mp3s and the way iTunes organizes your music library makes it very easy to back up. You can set iTunes to automatically copy any music you add to the library to its own folder, which it automatically sorts into folders by artist, album etc.

4. I don't know that there is an official way to browse the iTunes store without the software, but you can download the software for free, and uninstall it if you don't like it. Plus, since you can add mp3s from other sources to the iTunes library there's no need to buy any music from iTunes at all - I like buying them from Amazon's mp3 store because you can redownload any mp3s you've bought in the past if you happen to lose all copies of them (iTunes doesn't let you do this, last time I checked).

KalTorak on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    1. You can just import the MP3s into iTunes.

2. The files you buy through iTunes are AAC format, not MP3. That said, everything in the iTunes store is DRM-free, so you can copy them onto any device that will play AAC files.

3. iTunes has a "back up to disk" option for your Library--one click and your library is backed up.

4. Nope, you need the iTunes software. Why not just download it, it's free after all. Most albums are between $10-$13, songs are around $0.99 but can be a little more or less depending on the popularity.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Awesome. I don't mind AAC - PSP's and PS3's play them fine. Annoying though, because I just spent a week converting my stuff from AAC to mp3, but oh well.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Also iTunes lets you convert to mp3 with a couple clicks.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Convert the AAC's you download?

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yup, although it's a little convoluted. iTunes gives you the choice of mp3 or AAC when you're importing music from a CD. All you have to do is (in the "Import from CD" or whatever preferences) have it set to import music as mp3s. Then you can right-click on any song in your library and it'll give you the option to "Create mp3 version," and it'll pop an exact copy into the library. I've used it to quickly convert WAV files too. You can use it to convert to AAC the same way, I think.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Oh cool. So I'll be able to keep a completely MP3 collection.

While I'm not interested in games, are there any apps for the Classic? While I was tooling around with one in a store, I noticed there's a podcasts section. Any way to quickly grab gaming podcasts to put on there?

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, there's a whole podcast section of the store, you can subscribe to them and then they'll automatically download whenever you start up iTunes. You can set preferences for how many of each podcast to keep synced to the iPod at any one time.

Not really sure if there are any apps for the Classic. There's an address book, and some games, but I think that's it.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Not really interested in games, I was just wondering if there was any interesting apps for it. An address book is interesting though. I didn't figure there would be since it's got a small screen and only the input wheel.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I think it just syncs from the mac address book. Not sure if it does the same thing on PCs.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I downloaded iTunes and set up a store account so I could have a look at the catalog, and it's quite impressive. Prices in Australian dollars aren't too bad either. Dumped all my music into it, though I had to fiddle with some since iTunes wouldn't recognize them originally, but foobar fixed them. I think I'm going to enjoy using this when I grab my ipod.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The iTunes Store is pretty slick--it's a large part of the reason that the iPod became so popular.

Beware the one-click purchasing, you'll be racking up $100 worth of purchases without even thinking :)

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Does it bring you to a confirmation screen or send you an email or anything when you buy something? I was clicking around, and I was worried I might have bought something, but I didn't get any emails and didn't see anything in a download queue.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »

2. The files you buy through iTunes are AAC format, not MP3. That said, everything in the iTunes store is DRM-free, so you can copy them onto any device that will play AAC files.

3. iTunes has a "back up to disk" option for your Library--one click and your library is backed up.

4. Nope, you need the iTunes software. Why not just download it, it's free after all. Most albums are between $10-$13, songs are around $0.99 but can be a little more or less depending on the popularity.

I'm like 99% sure that iTunes can convert the AAC tracks from the music store into MP3 files too.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Lanz wrote: »
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »

I'm like 99% sure that iTunes can convert the AAC tracks from the music store into MP3 files too.

Yeah, I just checked Apples site about it, and KalTorak was spot on. You set the import settings to mp3, and then you can make any non-mp3 into one. It doesn't convert the file, it just makes a duplicate mp3 file. I'm really happy about that.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Does it bring you to a confirmation screen or send you an email or anything when you buy something? I was clicking around, and I was worried I might have bought something, but I didn't get any emails and didn't see anything in a download queue.

You have to confirm that you want to turn on one-click purchasing, I think. Apple saves money on credit card transactions by waiting about 4 days and then grouping all your purchases together, so there's no instant email confirmation.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    That's... irritating. I didn't play around with any settings, so I don't think I could have turned on one click purchasing. And I don't think I clicked on any 'buy' buttons.

edit - the site says you get a confirmation email immediately, which I never got, so that's good.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I think you'd know if you turned on 1-click purchasing - if it's off, when you click "Purchase" or whatever it'll give you a dialogue box to type in your account's email and password.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Heh, when I got home I tried to see if one click purchasing was on. I can't even find the option. Apples website says to go to preferences, then store, and it's there, but it's not. Weird.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    So yeah, grabbed my ipod classic tonight. The ipod itself? Slick. This is a classy bit of gear. Using it... I updated it, synced it with my music collection, and nothing would work. I needed to system restore, and I'm about to try it again. Annoying, but hopefully I get it sorted out.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Gaaah sorry for the triple post. Really irritating problem.

Some of the albums I imported from CD (not with iTunes though) will just skip through the album without playing anything, while some others will play. There was a fix I did to get some albums to import into iTunes (and these appear to work) which was to go into foobar and rebuild their mp3 streaming. Is this the way to fix this problem? Songs from iTunes work problem free, so I don't think it's the ipod itself..

-Loki- on