As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This is the [Droid] you're looking for - $199 with 2-year Contract, hits 11/6

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I got mad at only 3 home screens until I found folders. But I dont use many widgets either.

Jubal77 on
  • HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    HelixLauncher is what you want to use if you need more than the 3 home screens.

HooverFan on
    BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
  • LeoniusLeonius Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hrmmm, I just downloaded the update and no issues so far. If anything the phone seems a bit snappier. I'm hoping that isn't just wishful thinking.

Leonius on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2010
    Couldnt wait heh. Works great for me! Pinch to zoom is pretty sweet.

Jubal77 on
    edited April 2010
    WTF the speach to text has a profanity filter on it... lame!

Jubal77 on
  • Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Manually updating to 2.FUN right now.

Michael H on
  • RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    After manually updating, wifi broke for a while. Then it came back, and all is well.

The only other problem was that some settings were ignored by the updated applications, but that's taken care of by just resetting them.

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • LeoniusLeonius Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    After using it a bit it definitely feels quicker, not sure if I like the voice input button on my keyboard.

Leonius on
    steam_sig.png
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I cracked and installed manually. Glad to have live wallpapers, even if they're going to suck my battery dry. Now we can start obsessing about the next release. Google recently said that they're going to put some serious effort into reducing the current fragmentation across Android... can't wait for whatever's coming next.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • SrolSrol Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Didn't they also say that they were going to reduce the fragmentation by having fewer updates?

Srol on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Srol wrote: »
    Didn't they also say that they were going to reduce the fragmentation by having fewer updates?

That's what I've read, yeah. Stabilize the raw core, unhook the stuff that gets more active development so it can be delivered separate from the OS.

yalborap on
  • EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I don't think I want to give up my root for 2.1. I don't want to give up my 5 screens, wifi teethering, and 1ghz droid.

Maybe when 2.1 gets rooted, but till then I'll probably stick with what I have now.

Evigilant on
    XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    I cracked and installed manually. Glad to have live wallpapers, even if they're going to suck my battery dry. Now we can start obsessing about the next release. Google recently said that they're going to put some serious effort into reducing the current fragmentation across Android... can't wait for whatever's coming next.

Froyo!

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Evigilant wrote: »
    I don't think I want to give up my root for 2.1. I don't want to give up my 5 screens, wifi teethering, and 1ghz droid.

Maybe when 2.1 gets rooted, but till then I'll probably stick with what I have now.

if you use helixlauncher, you can have like 9 home screens if you want! as well as an iphone-esque shortcut launchbar on the bottom that stays constant throughout all 9, as well as the ability to go landscape mode on the home screen without having to slide out the keyboard.
    AAAND i'm pretty sure there's already a legit non-root tethering app in beta right now

Snork on
    edited April 2010
    I have a couple quick questions about the Droid's bluetooth and apps.

1, can you use keyboards with it, and if so, how free and loose is this? Does it work at a core hardware level, allowing for massive amounts of typing with just about anything, or does it need dedicated support?

2, what about gamepads? And same deal, any core support, or does it need to be coded in specifically?

3, some of the app stuff. There a good/decent way to play media on the device? I know there's the youtube channel, but what about ye olde dropping a video file and some MP3s in it? Would I run into a hassle, or will it work out fine? Also, I assume one could find good IRC, IM, and text editing apps if they were so inclined?

Thanks in advance for any info you guys can give me.

yalborap on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    yalborap wrote: »
    3, some of the app stuff. There a good/decent way to play media on the device? I know there's the youtube channel, but what about ye olde dropping a video file and some MP3s in it? Would I run into a hassle, or will it work out fine? Also, I assume one could find good IRC, IM, and text editing apps if they were so inclined?
    Yes, works fine, works fine, yes yes yes. Bluetooth as far as I'm aware doesn't support peripherals.

JAEF on
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    JAEF wrote: »
    yalborap wrote: »
    Yes, works fine, works fine, yes yes yes. Bluetooth as far as I'm aware doesn't support peripherals.

There may be some conversion needed to get video files to run on the Droid

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
    edited April 2010
    In my experience, if its formatted for an iPod, it works fine as long as there's no DRM. I did learn, after trying to stick some Rifftrax videos on there that I had originally downloaded for my Xbox, that it does not like WMV at all.

Srol on
    edited April 2010
    But iPod resolution is such a misuse of the glorious Droid screen

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    edited April 2010
    My battery doesnt seem to be sucked dry by the live wallpapers. I am on the home screen to jump into NewsRoom or the browser or sometning of that nature. It doesnt run when the home screen is not on it seems. My battery was still pretty much full this morning when I got up.

Jubal77 on
    edited April 2010
    Granted, I'm not using the maps one or anything that would use the data connection, but I've found that the live wallpaper has little to no effect on my battery life as well.

I have the grass one out, which is cool because the sun rises and sets along with your time zone. It would be neat if it could show you the weather as well.

Srol on
  • LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    One unexpected thing: reordered Desktop Dock screen buttons. The home button is now bigger, and the day/night button is smaller. once I get used to the new locations, I'll really appreaciate the big home buttion.

LaPuzza on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Is there a website with a bullet point list of the various features of this update and how to access them? I figured out talk to text and live wallpapers, and pinch to zoom was discovered after reading this thread. Curious about 5 screens and other stuff I don't know about.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Is there a website with a bullet point list of the various features of this update and how to access them? I figured out talk to text and live wallpapers, and pinch to zoom was discovered after reading this thread. Curious about 5 screens and other stuff I don't know about.

No five screens in this update, still stuck with three.

• Pinch-to-zoom is now available when using the browser, Gallery, and Google Maps.
    • New Weather and News application plus widget.
    o The Weather and News app pulls the information you want from the
    Web and brings it to your fingertips. You get weekly and hourly
    weather forecasts based on your location, and news headlines.
    • New support for voice-to-text entry.
    o Whenever a text-entry box appears, simply tap the microphone icon on the virtual keyboard and speak.
    • New Gallery application with 3D layout. View and share photos taken with your phone and images from your online Picasa Web albums.
    • Live Wallpapers offer richer animated, interactive backgrounds on the home screen. Access them with a long press anywhere on the home screen. Tap Wallpapers, then Live Wallpapers.
    • Free Yahoo!® Mail is now supported-simply sign in with your Yahoo! email address and password.
    • Google Maps update
    o Personalized suggestions and synchronized starring with
    desktop maps.google.com.
    o New night mode in Google Maps Navigation automatically changes the screen at night for easier viewing.
    • Improved pattern-lock functionality.
    • Improved handset audio when disconnecting a wired headset.
    • Email accounts no longer need to be re-entered after an over-the-air update.

Michael H on
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Michael H wrote: »
    • New support for voice-to-text entry.
    o Whenever a text-entry box appears, simply tap the microphone icon on the virtual keyboard and speak.

This is something I am very excited about. It's the reason I was sort of kicking myself for getting a Droid and not holding out for a Nexus One, but now my Droid has this feature so I'm not sad anymore.

Using voice to text message is amusing, especially if they then use text-to-speech. Voice->text->voice... what will those wizards at Google come up with next? maybe a way to speak directly to someone using your voice over a handheld device, bypassing text entirely! nah, it'll never happen...

DiscoZombie on
  • SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    does anyone else NOT have pinch-to-zoom in the stock browser after updating to 2.1? i've been using dolphin browser for a while now so it's not the hugest of deals, but that's really the only thing stopping me from going back to the (slightly faster) original browser. i got the manual update from droid-life, but i can't imagine that would make a difference

Snork on
    edited April 2010
    Snork wrote: »
    does anyone else NOT have pinch-to-zoom in the stock browser after updating to 2.1? i've been using dolphin browser for a while now so it's not the hugest of deals, but that's really the only thing stopping me from going back to the (slightly faster) original browser. i got the manual update from droid-life, but i can't imagine that would make a difference
    I've seen a handful of issues with that. If it will let you download the update over the air, do that, afterward (or if it does not let you) do a factory restore. Should take care of it, if that's what you want to do.

JAEF on
  • MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Got mine this past weekend and so far I'm enjoying it. I need to get some good game recomendations though. Is it me, or does it feel like that is one of the main parts of the market that is lacking?

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
    edited April 2010
    Abductions pretty fun.

There are some good games out there, but there seems to be a lot more crappy ones.

This video has some game suggestions

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Yeah I've seen a few games like that. I really enjoy project INF. It feels like companies aren't working an a really good target audience of multiplayer portable games.

It feels like the connection speed is there, and even if you don't get 3g connection this phone has amazed me with all the open wifi I've found near my town. Maybe I'm the only person that wants some sort of mmorpg on my phone so I actually feel productive at work...

Either way I am loving this phone even with all my hater friends and their iphones.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The pattern lock fix is so great. Before you'd have to swipe very slowly to make sure that it registered each part of your swipe, but now you can do it as fast as you want. That's my #1 favorite change, though the 3D gallery with Picasa integration is a close second, since that's where I upload all my camera pics.

But the touch-based light grid wallpaper... They locked it to only red! What garbage!

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I would take a crafting mini game that would let me craft consumables for other MMOs, tie it to how far I run and then you have people to people running 10km a day so they can craft sprint potions on their droid for their next raid.

RoyceSraphim on
    edited April 2010
    That would be pretty great. You'd have to farm all the mats though so you had a stock to run with the next morning.

I do wish they would put the auction house app on my droid so I could play that all day. Though I'd need to remember to have a character with stuff on them near the auction house.

MoSiAc on
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    But the touch-based light grid wallpaper... They locked it to only red! What garbage!

Welp... DROIIIIIDDDDD, and all that. I was hoping for the four colors, too, but it makes sense that the Google colors would be Nexus-specific and the Droid one would be Droid-themed. Metallic and red... y'know. I'm using that one now, though I was rocking the water ripples over the weekend. I like the Polar Clock, but I think that it leaves my home screen feeling too empty and boring. Is there a specific color palette that works for people?

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
    edited April 2010
    Good thing I like red! That is the color I would had it on anyway

Jubal77 on
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Is there an actual keyboard that slides out or is it all touch based?

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
    edited April 2010
    SkyCaptain wrote: »
    Are you asking about the Droid?

small_droid-keyboard-slide.JPG

JAEF on
    edited April 2010
    JAEF wrote: »
    SkyCaptain wrote: »
    Are you asking about the Droid?

small_droid-keyboard-slide.JPG

How well's that keyboard work, anyways? I'm pretty used to the LG EnV3's, but is it way worse?

yalborap on
  • Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Some people stay hating it but I got use to it enough for my needs after using it for awhile. It's not the greatest by any means, but I don't think it's that bad myself.

Helpless Rock on
    WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
    edited April 2010
    It's spaced well and doesn't have the absolutely atrocious sunken bottom row issue that the Cliq does, however the keys have an unpleasant, shallow and near-clickless press. It gets the job done, but it leaves enough to be desired that you'll end up using the onscreen keyboard for most things (unless you're monsterhandsVander.) The directional pad sucks a big one, even though it has diagonals they don't click, sometimes requiring you to put a bit of extra pressure to get a click if you're off center. Absolutely horrid for most games and you probably won't use it for much else aside from editing text. Great to have the keyboard for certain apps though.

If you have any Verizon corporate store near you they will have a live one on display you can use if you're on the fence about it.

JAEF on