As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

All-Star Bitching Thread: BT3

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I know when I think:

Swamp_Thing_049_00-22-FC.jpg

I also think:

pf_nofear1.gif

TexiKen on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    swamp thing knows no fear

only love

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wtf, Rucka? Comics are already out of comic stores. Major book stores have hella comics, and their collections are both wider and more diverse than what you could accomplish with more widespread spinner racks.

I think the problem is that comics are still geared towards a serialized format, and mainstream audiences don't like that because the stories feel insubstantial and they can't be arsed to go to a store every month to read a complete storyline.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I hate comic stores. I hated then in the 80s, and I hate them now (mostly since they are the same stores run by the same jackasses I couldn't stand then because "Lobo is cool") and like gaming stores they just effing suck. One of these days I'm going to go all-in to buy stuff online, but I haven't and that's my own idiocy. Still, he's right.

Whoa, Crimsondude has gotten cool recently.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I like the comic store I go to

Then again it's the same one I have gone to since I was a kid and the dude who owns it is rad as hell

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Robos are you stealing my use of the word hella

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    and you stole it from me

everyone who ever uses words is stealing from me

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    TLB stole it from Achewood

either that or TLB is Chris Onstad

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    look your word is look, like you're a goshdarn politician

mine is hella

That's like saying you would order BBQ from someone in Finland, what the hella

TexiKen on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    My comic store is interesting in that the balding, overweight, bearded guy with glasses that owns and used to manage it no longer does so, and the cool young guy that used to work there has, over time, begun to bald, gain weight, grow a beard, and start wearing glasses.

Comic stores need a Dian Fossey to come in and just observe, and compile some kind of anthropological study. I have a feeling it'd be interesting.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    man I been talkin' like a winner since before I even knew about achewood or the internet

because I'm a stud

also munch that would be rad because the dude who owns my comic store operates it with his wife who runs the second store and they always bicker about sending shit in between stores

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Interestingly in the UK a lot of comics tend to be stocked in newsagents and the like because, shock horror, kids still buy comics here. (The link's a bit old, but still.) There are relatively few comic stores in the UK, or at least in my section of it, probably because the focus seems still to be on comics as more of a child's pastime than an adult's.

Maybe Marvel should be taking a few lessons from their UK partner Panini in how to market their books to kids.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    wait kids read comics still

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I love my comic store. They have a really diverse customer base (you never really see any walking caricatures of neckbearditry), they do random live band shows and stand up comedy.

Sometimes you show up to buy comics in the evening when an event happens and suddenly you are being handed a beer.

It is the best!

desc <3 comic bug 4-ever

desc on
  • Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've got a photo forum challenge!

Post a photo of your comic book store manager and/or owner. First one to post one that doesn't fit the following stereotype wins!
    Stereotype:
    - overweight
    - balding
    - beard

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    dangit desc that is the best comic shop

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    cshadow42 wrote: »

Post a photo of your comic book store manager and/or owner. First one to post one that doesn't fit the following stereotype wins!
    Stereotype:
    - overweight
    - balding
    - beard

easy mode:
    DSC01669.jpg

What do I win?

edit: Wait, is a goatee a beard? Legally it probably is.

desc on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Interestingly in the UK a lot of comics tend to be stocked in newsagents and the like because, shock horror, kids still buy comics here. (The link's a bit old, but still.) There are relatively few comic stores in the UK, or at least in my section of it, probably because the focus seems still to be on comics as more of a child's pastime than an adult's.

Maybe Marvel should be taking a few lessons from their UK partner Panini in how to market their books to kids.

Only problem with those comics that you'd find in WHSmiths is that they are usually around 2-3 years behind the books that you'd get from the comic store.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    desc wrote: »

Stereotype:
    - overweight
    - balding
    - beard

easy mode:
    DSC01669.jpg

What do I win?

Wow, someone took One More Day badly hurp de durpie durp

TexiKen on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Stereotype:
    - overweight
    - balding
    - beard

easy mode:
    DSC01669.jpg

What do I win?

I know Ultimatum was a bomb, but that's even worse than I expected.

edit: Texiken is stupid.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I beat you Hensler, I beat you. Outdated jokes about bad comics hooooo!

I remember when all 3 of the Bedrock City Comic shops got damaged pretty bad with Hurricane Ike, especially the one on Westheimer (the main location). Basically the roof collapsed, 90% of the stuff was lost that they didn't take to be stored in a safer location like all the CGC and key issue stuff.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    BigDes wrote: »

Only problem with those comics that you'd find in WHSmiths is that they are usually around 2-3 years behind the books that you'd get from the comic store.

Honestly, I don't think a 10 year-old really cares.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    I really dont like how Bats are being tied into the Wayne dynasty long before Batman. Makes that bat in his window seem less like chance and more like destiny or a curse or something.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Johns is messing with Superman's origin again, it's basically turning into that scene in Punisher MAX where Kingpin gets raped in prison:
    Metallo is now retconned to be one of General Lane's favorite soldiers who he hoped would date/marry Lois, who either doesn't get Lois doesn't want to date him or the more obvious Johns cop out that he is obsessed with Lois stalker-like

There's something very weird about this "Smallville" retconning where every hero bumped into their rogues/allies when they were little but didn't know it yet, such as how Thomas Wayne was the reason Jor-El sent Clark to Earth, Superman and Batman met each other very briefly in Smallville, etc.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Johns is messing with Superman's origin again, it's basically turning into that scene in Punisher MAX where Kingpin gets raped in prison:
    Metallo is now retconned to be one of General Lane's favorite soldiers who he hoped would date/marry Lois, who either doesn't get Lois doesn't want to date him or the more obvious Johns cop out that he is obsessed with Lois stalker-like

There's something very weird about this "Smallville" retconning where every hero bumped into their rogues/allies when they were little but didn't know it yet, such as how Thomas Wayne was the reason Jor-El sent Clark to Earth, Superman and Batman met each other very briefly in Smallville, etc.

Oh wtf Tex? How does this shit get past editors? Isn't it the editors job to stop retardation getting into costly print?

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    It was in Superman/Batman #50.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    OOh right. Superman/Batman. I watched the movie based on the comic. I guess nothing really surprises me there.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So! I picked up world war hulks, and found it to be an interesting mix of good (hulkpool was funnier then I thought it would be and Red she hulk is better then I thought it would be) but holy shit The writers seemed to have a mandate to give James talbot of all people the sloppiest blowjob possible. The thing I remember most about this asshole was that he had a creepy relationship with betty and he crashed a jet/hovercraft thing into a volcano while trying to kill the hulk.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Stereotype:
    - overweight
    - balding
    - beard

easy mode:
    DSC01669.jpg

What do I win?

Hey! I go to Comic Bug sometimes, too. It's not that close to me, but every once in a while I like to go to a nicer store, or to pick up from their wider trade selection.

That fire was unfortunate.

Lux on
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    What world do you live in that you think that guy doesn't have a beard? o_O

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    TheSecretSeventhTheSecretSeventh GARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    the comic store i go to is close to a military base, so every wednesday, its me and a couple friends plus a handful of dudes in uniform. it makes me feel like a badass.

then some overweight, neck-bearded dink walks in and makes me ashamed of myself again...

TheSecretSeventh on
    PSN: DW_Drummer22
    XBL: MightyManotaur
    PA: TheSecretSeventh
    wait....
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    BigDes wrote: »

Honestly, I don't think a 10 year-old really cares.

Probably not.

It is confusing though, considering the stores have to order those comics from diamond that they don't get the more up to date books.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Do they really have to order the Panini ones from Diamond too? I suspect they come through the more conventional suppliers.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    This is a pretty well-thought out article that explains Grant Morrison's issues with continuity.

cshadow42 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    This is a pretty well-thought out article that explains Grant Morrison's issues with continuity.

I don't agree. Lumping retcons together with resurrections in the first place is a bad idea since the two, despite occasionally intersecting, occur for different reasons and say different things about the industry. Beyond that, his treatment of Final Crisis is misleading (Bruce and Jonn's death were never meant to be permanent, and Bruce's resurrection is just as much Morrison's idea as his death) and he's inferring far too much from a couple of short panels cherry-picked from Morrison's wide body of work.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    You can't blame Xorneto on Morrison when all the bullshit occurred after Morrison's run. Morrison made it work, Marvel trying to add another character and then tying it to M-Day in New Avengers is what ruined it for everyone.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I think its true. Morrison likes to play with other peoples toys his way, then puts them back on the shelf and expects other people to clean up after him.

cshadow42 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I don't understand why you'd single Morrison out for that behavior when it's doubtful that any writer is anticipating the needs of his successor while penning the conclusions of his own arc. That's the editors' job, not the writers'.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I don't understand why you'd single Morrison out for that behavior when it's doubtful that any writer is anticipating the needs of his successor while penning the conclusions of his own arc. That's the editors' job, not the writers'.

Mmm...true...but I think Morrison gets away with it more than most.

Its actually kind of interesting to see other writers try to jump on Loeb's Rulk-train and weave some continuity around him.

cshadow42 on
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    morrison never intended on actually killing batman, that was editorial saying no no, lets turn this story arc in to an event with terrible tie-ins and 'really' kill him.

Angry on