As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Worst. Costume. Ever!

• Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I don't understand why Wonder Woman dresses in some weird American Flag... she isn't American at all. seems a poor choice for an Ambassador...

Kind of like how I would feel it Tony Blair came to visit dressed like Apollo Creed from Rocky 4.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2007
    Sentry wrote: »
    I don't understand why Wonder Woman dresses in some weird American Flag... she isn't American at all. seems a poor choice for an Ambassador...

Kind of like how I would feel it Tony Blair came to visit dressed like Apollo Creed from Rocky 4.

Because she was created during WWII

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Keith wrote: »

Ah... yeah... Greece fought in that war too... as did almost everyone else (not sure abouth Themyscira), it still doesn't make any sense from a character perspective.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Ah... yeah... Greece fought in that war too... as did almost everyone else (not sure abouth Themyscira), it still doesn't make any sense from a character perspective.

Everything during WWII was plastered with American propoganda. She coulda worn a Greek flag, but I don't think she'd still be around if she did.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Why would being created during WW2 make a Greek Amazon Princess wear an american flag inspired costume?

True DC comics is an American comic book company but even that wouldn't make her costume make any more sense.

Edit: Bah, was too slow on the draw and lost to Sentry and Malkor!

*Accepts the shameful bronze*

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2007

No, it doesn't

But she was made by an American during World War II so she had the American flag on her.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Malkor wrote: »

Everything during WWII was plastered with American propoganda. She coulda worn a Greek flag, but I don't think she'd still be around if she did.

Again, I'm looking at it from a character perspective... not looking at it in terms of industry or survivability. Even so, characters costumes do change over time... how come hers never did?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Again, I'm looking at it from a character perspective... not looking at it in terms of industry or survivability. Even so, characters costumes do change over time... how come hers never did?

She used to have a skirt

it was still the american flag, though

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Scooter wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »
    Man, Puck is a harry little bastard aint he?
    What are his powers besides his innate midget creepiness and unfortunate fashion sense?

Something to do with super strength/toughness, and the ability to fling himself at people.

And it's past tense, he was there (as was his daughter, the much hotter Puck) when Alpha Flight got wiped.

I believe he made a wish from or was cursed by some kind of genie/djinn. Puck used to be gigantic, like seven feet tall with massive muscles. He was an explorer type. The wish/curse compacted him down, which made him super-dense. That gave him super strength, nigh-invulnerability (although he said it still hurt, and he was always supposed to be in pain from being squashed down, from what I remember), and gave him an inordinately large amount of momentum for his size/strength.

And, oh god...now that I've posted here once, I'm going to have to start reading this forum every day too. Damn you people.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

If you're looking at it from a character perspective, the answer is that there is no answer. It's solely because she was created by Americans to be an American hero (origin story aside) during WWII.

Scooter on
  • Options
    DeVryGuyDeVryGuy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Scooter wrote: »

If you're looking at it from a character perspective, the answer is that there is no answer. It's solely because she was created by Americans to be an American hero (origin story aside) during WWII.

I kinda wish we'd see her in the outfit Donna Troy wore at the beginning of the new series with the armor and cape and all that. Twas good stuff.

DeVryGuy on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5369 6910 9799
    FFTSig.jpg
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Maybe Betsy Ross was an amazon.

We can retcon American History, right?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    DeVryGuyDeVryGuy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Also: while there are some design cues taken from the American flag, the only thing you can really say is Flagish is the lower part with with white stars on blue background. It isn't like she wears a white and red striped cape or anything.

DeVryGuy on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5369 6910 9799
    FFTSig.jpg
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Maybe Betsy Ross was an amazon.

We can retcon American History, right?

Yes

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Killershrike.gif
    Also...
    img

Slagmire on
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Oh! I got one. Don't get me wrong he's a total badass and I love the character but...
    flash182xu7.jpg

Apparently his balls are a vacuum

No, they're a singularity.

There's a difference.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    Oh! I got one. Don't get me wrong he's a total badass and I love the character but...
    flash182xu7.jpg

There's a difference.

Well something's pulling his pants back towards his nether region

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So I typed "Wost Superhero Costume" into Google and this was the very first result. Luke Cage never looked that stylish!

This one was further down the list. I particularly like the angle he was drawn from. And the teeny little jets on his boots. Those are jets, aren't they?

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    Oberon311Oberon311 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So I typed "Wost Superhero Costume" into Google and this was the very first result. Luke Cage never looked that stylish!

This one was further down the list. I particularly like the angle he was drawn from. And the teeny little jets on his boots. Those are jets, aren't they?

They're OBVIOUSLY his emergency shaving supplies, so that his bikini line can always have that 'just got waxed' vibrance.

Oberon311 on
    Cap's dead. I'm with Ares.
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

I didn't realize Burt Reynolds was one of Superman's rogues.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

I may be wrong, but I thought that the in-story reason for the red, white, and blue costume was that a male WWII pilot crashed on their island, and helped them defeat some threat or something (maybe dying in the process), so the Amazonians honored his memory by dressing Wonder Woman in his colors.

I can't remember where I read that though, and I'm not much of a Wonder Woman fan, so I could be way off.

Munch on
  • Options
    RedeemerRedeemer Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    They gave Wonder Woman a boring regular costume in the 70s and people bitched about that too

Anyway

Rainbowraider.png

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Options
    Erayc3rErayc3r Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I give you a collection of the worst costumes this world has ever known
    watchmen_personagens.jpg

:P

Erayc3r on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Erayc3r wrote: »
    I give you a collection of the worst costumes this world has ever known
    watchmen_personagens.jpg

:P

Maybe if they'd gotten Rorschach's colors right you could see how completely awesome he is. As it stands he's only pretty awesome.

Also, being naked and blue is the best costume.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Pantaley ShlopapaPantaley Shlopapa Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Ah man, he fucking looks like Jubilee in the picture.

Pantaley Shlopapa on
    flash1.png
  • Options
    Senor HugoSenor Hugo Registered User new member
    edited April 2007
    First post, but I saw the thread and couldn't resist.

Worst costume, ever. Even though it's Deadpool, and he is awesome.

Senor Hugo on
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    God, why did you post that? Now it will probably be on someone's sig for months.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    RedeemerRedeemer Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    >_>

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I realize I'm talking about an MMO (but it has Superheroes), but...

Statesman, in CoH...I've always hated his costume.

It makes very little sense, and not in the good way.

Actually, the entire CoH art crew sucks at designing costumes.

Yeah, I said it.

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    DondumsDondums Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    wallhitter wrote: »

Yeah, I said it.

Positron looked alright in the comics.
    In-game? Not so much.

Dondums on
    internet
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, they do. Especially the villains. So bland... so bland.

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You bought that? (The comic?)

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    flash182xu7.jpg

There's a difference.

Well something's pulling his pants back towards his nether region

The massive gravity field generated by Captain Cold's balls.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Neliwood wrote: »

Yeah, I said it.

Positron looked alright in the comics.
    In-game? Not so much.

They're totally afraid to mix-and-match, that's the problem.

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    You bought that? (The comic?)

They send you the CoH comic for free if you have an active subscription.(Or at least they did when I played.)

Last Son on
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Cokomon wrote: »
    God, why did you post that? Now it will probably be on someone's sig for months.

Done and done!

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    nightwing's older costumes by a country mile.

He's a semi major character too, which makes it even worse.

grayson2.jpg

nightwing.jpg

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Yeah, I said it.

Some of them suck, Psyche's for example just looks weird (and then in the comics she complains about people imagining her naked when she's wearing a transparent top). I like Manticore's though.

Also, whenever there was a face shot in 300 it was like looking at an army of Statesmen, which was cool for me.

Scooter on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The dumb thing about Statesman's costume is that its not actually a helmet, just the front part of one. And there's no obvious strap or anything holding it on, so he must have crazy glued it to his face.

Edit:

This is pretty terrible.

cost_ca.jpg

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    It must be sewn into the fabric of his costume or something. It does seem a bit weird, but when you figure his skin is probably tougher than any metal any armor is just for looks anyways.

Scooter on