As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DnD 4e PbP] Vale of Buried Shadows (OOC)

• IAmUnawareIAmUnaware Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I know it says "Races: Any" in the OP, but sometimes people say that and don't mean monstrous races, so just to be sure before I go posting anything: Would a gnoll character be acceptable?

IAmUnaware on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Anything that has a racial adaptation block for player characters (like at the back of the Monster Manuals) is acceptable, which includes orcs, kobolds, gnolls, etc.

Of course, the further you go away from the traditionally accepted 'civilized' races and further into the 'traditionally-viewed-as-rampaging-monsters' area, then the more you'll have to justify in your character creation as to how the character managed to get with the party and why the rest of civilization hasn't already killed him whenever he stops into town.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    edited April 2010
    Aegis wrote: »
    Of course, the further you go away from the traditionally accepted 'civilized' races and further into the 'traditionally-viewed-as-rampaging-monsters' area, then the more you'll have to justify in your character creation as to how the character managed to get with the party and why the rest of civilization hasn't already killed him whenever he stops into town.

Yessir. Working up the concept now.

IAmUnaware on
  • TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Saving this spot for a Social Outcast Halfling Ardent... or a Defender of the Forest Dwarf Seeker.

TiamatZ on
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Out of curiosity, do we get an Expertise feat free, or are we paying for that as normal?

Edit:
    Rius wrote:
    (You've got 3 magic items, I think you're only allowed 2 + consumables)
    As I understood, it was 2 magic items +400gp, with neither of the free items to be > L3. However, consumables and such greater than L3 were allowed to be purchased. Far as I can tell, you can use some of the GP to buy an item, though that leaves only 40gp for odds and ends.

tzeentchling on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Out of curiosity, do we get an Expertise feat free, or are we paying for that as normal?

I have been noting in the 4e Discussion thread and amongst other games that this is rather common, so yes you get a single Weapon Expertise feat free.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Do you want to give that out now or later?

Rius on
    edited April 2010
    Ehh, it's the same either way. I'll just doublecheck when the game starts that everyone has it.

Edit: Okay, it's not really the same since you could build now based on expected feast relating to Expertise.

Aegis on
    Characters
    edited April 2010
    Can we use the infinitely awesome Versatile Expertise from PHB3 as our free expertise feat or would you prefer that we stick to either Weapon Expertise or Implement Expertise?

IAmUnaware on
    edited April 2010
    The fuck does Wizards go through the trouble of making separate feats for weapons and implements and then turns around and make another feat which just renders the previous ones redundant?

Aegis on
    Characters
    edited April 2010
    The fuck does Wizards go through the trouble of making separate feats for weapons and implements and then turns around and make another feat which just renders the previous ones redundant?

It's like escalating Expertise feats. First came Weapon and Implement Expertise, giving a +1 to weapon or implement attacks respectively. Then they realized that some classes (Swordmage, some Sorcerers, etc) can use the same weapon as a weapon and an implement, so they made Focused Expertise such that those classes wouldn't have to take two feats.

THEN they realized that some classes (Cleric, Paladin, Avenger) might want to use different items for weapon and implement... Versatile Expertise!

Rius on
    edited April 2010
    I still think if they wanted to do that then, they should have put in class restrictions on the feat so that it was more clearly aimed at the classes in question, since doing it this way just renders the previous feats redundant.

Take whatever Expertise feat fits your class.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • SakutianSakutian Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So is it alright that I took Implement Expertise for my Staff? Sorry I just want to make sure I don't need to drop the feat.

Sakutian on
    My Games

Dresden Files RPG- Dumb Luck

Playing Phillip Hess in Motor City Blues

GM of M&M "And Justice For All."
    GM of Dresden Files Low Life
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Into the Unknown
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Lost Hope- Concluded
    GM of Star Wars Sagas the Dark Times- Concluded.
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Jabba's Palace- Concluded due to injury.
    Bart Allen/ The Flash in M&M Metropolis- Concluded.
    Koyi Disturbances in the Force- Concluded.
    Jessup Owlbeard Forge of the Dawn Titan- Withdrawn due to injury.
    Sal Mander In the Shadow of Zeus- Concluded.
    Zevoto in Out in the Black- Withdrawn due to injury.
    GM of Wyvern Watch
    Berru Secune in Rise of the Jedi
    edited April 2010
    Treat that one as free and pick another.

Aegis on
    Characters
    edited April 2010
    For anyone unsure how to add free feats in the Character Builder;

On the Feats screen, down by the Feat Choice Checklist, there's a little house icon you can click on to add a free feat slot.

Rius on
  • OloronOloron Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Quick question about applications - how "absolutely final" do you want them to be? I'm assuming you want them in "happy to play them as stated" form. Given that today is the DDI update, I'd guess you'll want any applications "rules current"? (I'm reviewing mine in case they changed something on me.)

For example, I'd be thrilled to play my application exactly as it is, but if I'm lucky enough to be selected it may make sense to tweak slightly around the edges. For example, one or two people mentioned mounts - I didn't include one, but would probably buy one if the rest of the group had them, etc. Also, I tried to merge my backstory into your "world", but would also be happy to change that if it somehow ended up incompatible with your story or someone else's background.

Oloron on
  • MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Alright, so I'm going to work on finishing up the concept and sheet for my Bard tonight. Leaning towards Cunning, but Valorous looks really fun too. Excited to dive in and start building.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2010
    Oloron wrote: »
    Quick question about applications - how "absolutely final" do you want them to be? I'm assuming you want them in "happy to play them as stated" form. Given that today is the DDI update, I'd guess you'll want any applications "rules current"? (I'm reviewing mine in case they changed something on me.)

For example, I'd be thrilled to play my application exactly as it is, but if I'm lucky enough to be selected it may make sense to tweak slightly around the edges. For example, one or two people mentioned mounts - I didn't include one, but would probably buy one if the rest of the group had them, etc. Also, I tried to merge my backstory into your "world", but would also be happy to change that if it somehow ended up incompatible with your story or someone else's background.

Happy to play as started works. Little differences, particularly in more concrete backstory information, party history, motivation for where the campaign starts, will be settled just prior to game start for the five that make up the party so any required merging will happen at that point.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • licwidcakelicwidcake Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've never done this before so please excuse my ignorance but how do you guys upload a character sheet from the character builder? I would like to try and play but can't get past even that part >.<

licwidcake on
    edited April 2010
    Rius wrote:
    (You've got 3 magic items, I think you're only allowed 2 + consumables)
    As I understood, it was 2 magic items +400gp, with neither of the free items to be > L3. However, consumables and such greater than L3 were allowed to be purchased. Far as I can tell, you can use some of the GP to buy an item, though that leaves only 40gp for odds and ends.

I missed this. Yes, it's 2 magic items you pick off your list, then you get 400 gp to do whatever you want with.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Whoops, didn't realize my sheet was listed as private. Fixed.

Also, I'm going to be going the Defiant Word route instead of the Wrathful Hammer path. Bit unorthodox for a minotaur to do that, which is what I like.

Also this is only the 2nd or third time I've made a character, I'm usually on the other side of the table, so if anyone reads him and discovers that he sucks, that would be why. Still hopeful that I get chosen, though. :D

Farangu on
  • squishy-blobsquishy-blob Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I still think if they wanted to do that then, they should have put in class restrictions on the feat so that it was more clearly aimed at the classes in question, since doing it this way just renders the previous feats redundant.

Take whatever Expertise feat fits your class.

Sweet, free expertise. I always hate having to take those feats. I know WoTC likes to fix problems with things being underpowered by releasing new books but personally I would have preferred they just admit their faulty math and just give everyone a scaling +1/2/3 to attack rolls with errata rather than print these 4 feats thus reducing your options.

squishy-blob on
  • paperstsoapcopaperstsoapco Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Submitting Velette, Half-Orc Stone Fist Monk.

Velette

Background, etc is at the bottom of the character sheet. I tried to leave it fairly vague since I don't know much about the specifics of Nentir Vale, nor what you'd have us doing, but if you'd like more specific, I can do that.

As for her wish, she wants to be a great leader of some sort. Right now she would say a warchief of some sort, but as she becomes accustomed to life outside an orc tribe, that would probably change.

Also, I would like to point out that although Harmonius Thunder reads as though it insta-gibs one target, most people assume that it is not intended to trigger off of itself, which was my interpretation. Up to you how you'd like to play that though.

paperstsoapco on
    edited April 2010
    Gnarryc, Gnoll Monk
    Labrazio leaned forward menacingly, his eyes narrowing. "It doesn't work like that, kid. Nobody leaves unless I say so." He placed his meaty hands on the ratty, worm-eaten desk that marked this particular room in the squat as his office. "Are we clear?"
    The hair on the back on Gnarryc's neck stood up as his adrenaline started to run. This might get ugly. "I could have just left without saying anything, but I don't want your second-rate thugs following me all over the place. I don't want a mess. But I am leaving." He turned and stalked toward the door, but Labrazio's half-orc bodyguard stepped in front of it and crossed his arms. Gnarryc growled, more in exasperation than anger, and picked up his club from where it hung on his belt. Turning back, he laid it on the desk. "Do you know what this is?"
    Labrazio was silent. He just stared at the gnoll, as if trying to burn holes in Gnarryc with his eyes.
    "I wasn't born in this city. I was born in the wilds, in a gnoll tribe that roamed the plains not too far south of here. We lived in squalor, raiding and burning and pillaging. Every time we'd find a new settlement, we'd strike at night and kill everyone we could find, and then we'd eat or burn everything. Everything. But I started to notice something. These people, these people that we slaughtered and devoured because they were too weak to stop us... they had the life. Buildings that protected them from the storms, food that made my mouth water, trinkets and amusements and riches beyond the understanding or interest of my packmates. I decided I'd had enough of destroying everything of value and then spending the night in some tall grass, waking up wet and cold and fleabitten. I was stronger than my pack. Better than. I deserved better, but my people were too weak and stupid to give it to me. So I tried to leave. I did not conceal my leaving, because I had nothing to fear, but the pack leader knew that allowing a warrior to leave would make him look weak. He attacked me." Gnarryc traced his claw along some of the intricate carvings on his club. "This is part of his leg. I had to make sure that the tribe understood not to try to find me, that they knew I was the strongest. I took this from him, right there, and while he screamed and gnashed and howled I beat him with it until there was not even enough of him left to make a decent meal."
    Labrazio snorted derisively. "What, that's supposed to scare me?"
    "It is a lesson. I am leaving. When I first arrived, your pack looked strongest. And I have many things, now, fine clothes and a roof to sleep under and food that I could not even have imagined before. But it is not enough. I deserve better, and I see now that your... enterprise cannot provide it. I have found better, found a pack that is not so wasteful and cowardly. I will have riches and station and power and all that I deserve, and never again will I cower in some warehouse, hiding from the city guard." He sneered. He knew that last bit would wound his erstwhile employer. "Goodbye, Labrazio. Do not chase me. Just as with my old pack leader, I would take no pleasure in your death, but I will do what must be done." He picked up his club and turned back toward the door. The half-orc stepped aside this time, hands raised non-confrontionally, and let him through.
    Labrazio surged to his feet, enraged, and roared at his bodyguard. "GRUSH! Stop him! Kill him!"
    The half-orc snorted. "I seen him fight. Believe that story. I ain't gettin' beat to death with my own leg."

Gnarryc is a pragmatist. He wants better things in life, and he pursues the path that he believes will lead him to them. Now that he's been a part of not-so-polite society for a while, he has seen that adventurers always have the best stuff, and so he has resolved to become one. His goals are rather egocentric, but as he was raised in gnoll society he does have loyalty to whatever "pack" he selects... to a point.
    He has thoroughly given up the life of marauding, because killing without a solid goal in mind, without something worthwhile to gain, seems wasteful to him.
    If he could could have any one wish, he would wish to have a position, power, and riches appropriate to his might (of course, in his mind this affords him a vast fortune and the crown of a large kingdom).

IAmUnaware on
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Sorry to ask but it's been picking at me. As a level 2 human and with the free implement/weapon expertise feat I should have four feats right?

Sakutian on
    My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Don't you mean weapon/implement expertise?

But yeah, you should have 4 feats:

- 2 from 1st level human
    - 1 from level 2
    - 1 from free feat

TiamatZ on
    edited April 2010
    YeahI meant to say weapon/implement expertise, sorry.

Sakutian on
    My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Decided on a half-elven Valorous Bard, which will be a completely new sort of character for me compared to what I usually play. Writing up my concept now.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2010
    Have a number of applications already in (current tally is: 2 Defenders, 2 Leaders, 4 Strikers, 2 Controllers) and my chapter 3 writing has most of the ideas in place. As such, going to move up the application deadline to this coming Monday the 12th, which gets the recruitment completed quicker while still giving everyone enough time to still finalize applications.

Aegis on
    Characters
    edited April 2010
    Will be putting in a Dwarf Worldspeaker Shaman soon. Just need to find a good reason to get him to Fallcrest.

tzeentchling on
  • FelixSomethingSomethingFelixSomethingSomething Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Two submissions from me, descriptions and such are in the sheets.

Suran Contonia, Human Tempest Fighter

What would Suran wish for? A legacy, a place in the history books and to be spoken of in campfire stories and drinking songs for centuries after his death.

Erchelian Dimloth, Half-Elf Infernal Warlock

What would Erchelian wish for? His wife back, and everything as it was before he lost her. This is his end goal, though he doesn't realize or wont accept how unrealistic it is.

FelixSomethingSomething on
  • licwidcakelicwidcake Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Nicelas Thesia, Eladrin Avenger
    http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/1748

Background:
    Nicelas was born and raised in an Eladrin settlement that was located on the prime material plane. He trained to be a guide for several years and spent much time as a scout and escort for Eladrin traders that ran between his home and nearby human settlements. For 50 years Nicelas was content with this and began to raise a family. However, upon returning from a messenger job he found his home overrun by undead abominations summoned by a human necromancer that wanted the Eladrin's knowledge of the fey for himself. Nicelas rushed in to try and help who he could, and to try and save his family. However, the undead were too strong for him to defeat alone and the last thing that he remembers from that day is being overwhelmed by the undead as his burning house collapsed around him.

As death was about to take him, Hoar, God of Retribution appeared before him. Hoar felt the burning desire for vengeance within Nicelas and promised him that it would be his if he agreed to carry out the god's wishes. Caring nothing of the consequences, Nicelas agreed and was given a second chance at life as the god's iron fist of retribution. For several more years Nicelas hunted down his family's murderers and finally after nearly 80 years of searching, was able to extract his revenge.

However, his work was not yet done. While his family may have been avenged, the occurrence that set him on his path to begin with was much too common place for his liking. Undead are not a naturally occurring phenomenon, and it is Nicelas's opinion that where there are undead there is likely an evil wizard to kill.

Mannerisms and Appearance:
    Nicelas is extremely serious and extremely devoted to his cause. While not outright hostile he has little time for games or useless talk and would much rather be doing something rather than discussing. That said he has been around long enough to know the value of a well thought out plan. Because of his narrow focus he is not a good judge of people's hidden motives and despite his advanced age has little knowledge or use for history. He is very good at assessing situations and his environment. He is also extremely brutal in his quest to hold accountable those who truck with the undead. Even someone selling dead bodies to a necromancer to feed his family is deserving of death because they are helping propagate the problem even if they don't know what they are doing. Bottom line for him is that evil will be dealt with in the same way as a rabid dog: it will be put down.

His appearance is fairly typical of Eladrin with the exception of his eyes. While most Eladrin has deep blue or purple fields for eyes, his turned pitch black when he became the embodiment of retribution. He carries a magic longsword that he wields 2 handed and wears magic leather armor that produces a wave of force to knock enemies back (good for fighting zombies as they tend to swarm). He has a standard adventuring kit and a climber's kit.

Wish:
    Nicelas has moved past the death of his town and family. If he were to have one wish it would be to become powerful enough to destroy every vestige of the Cult of Orcus, including Orcus himself, and wipe even it's memory from existence.
    I'm not sure if that wish follows the rules of the actual spell so I an change it if necessary

Also I'd be fine with purchasing a mount if that is what the party decides (and I am chosen to play of course).

Edit: Hoar is also a FR deity so if I need to change it that's okay I just don't exactly know which god is the god of vengeance in the regular setting.

Editx2: For my picture I'll just use the one for the avenger that comes in the player creator, I just altered it so he would have black eyes. Below is the basic one, I'll PM the altered one.
    avenger_small.jpg

licwidcake on
    edited April 2010
    Hoar's fine. I prefer the FR pantheon anyway (at least, before 4e massacred it).

Besides, poetic justice is fun.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • squishy-blobsquishy-blob Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hoar's fine. I prefer the FR pantheon anyway (at least, before 4e massacred it).

Besides, poetic justice is fun.

Same here. I think that mostly stems from the FR pantheon being much more personal and with more stories about them.

squishy-blob on
    edited April 2010
    Another submission from me:

Kallak, Goliath Fighter|Paladin of Moradin
    Kallak lived in a small tribal village in the mountains. He was a warrior there, protecting and hunting for the tribe. Life was simple and good and Kallak was happy... until the day his village was stricken by a strange wasting sickness.
    It was hell for Kallak. He had no knowledge of medicines or healing magics, and even the village's shaman was unable to help the dying. She too fell to the walking plague in time. He watched helpless as everyone around him died and prepared himself for the end.
    But it did not come. He never became sick. For days he cried and raged at the loss of all that he had ever known, but Kallak would not surrender himself entirely to despair. He had survived and he would go on surviving, and he would carry the memory of those he had lost with him always so that they would never truly be gone. He picked up his spear and went out into the mountains to hunt and think on what he should do next.
    Unfortunately, goliaths were not the only creatures vulnerable to the sickness. Kallak found the animals in the crags around the village to be sickly, dying, or dead, and their meat was mealy and rotten. He began to fear that he would in fact pass into the next world as well, not from disease but from hunger. After nearly a week without a suitable kill and what had been left of the village's food stores completely depleted, Kallak stumbled upon a goat. The goat's fur was pure white, almost shining, and it looked fat and healthy. Kallak's eyes went wide and he dropped into a wary crouch, watching it intently and praying that it was not merely a trick, his hunger enfeebling his mind. The goat hopped down the face of the mountain carefully, and Kallak was on the hunt.
    For two days he tracked the goat, but always it managed to just barely elude capture. He was exhausted and hungry, and at some point the goat became less of a potential meal and more of a focal point to keep his body and mind from giving up. He tracked it through a pass, fearing for a moment that he had lost it, but just as he was beginning to despair he rounded a huge stone and found it there, staring at him. It stood mere feet away, close enough that he might lunge and catch it with his bare hands, but its eyes bored into him and he couldn't seem to act. They stared at each other for a long moment and then the goat suddenly dashed away and leapt over the edge of a cliff. It took a moment for Kallak to react, but when he did he knew he couldn't allow it to escape. Not now. It was his only hope for salvation. He sprinted after it and followed its leap of faith.
    He fell... and fell... and fell. He struck the slope of the mountain hard and lost consciousness.

Kallak woke a few days later in a bed that was altogether too small for him. His eyes refused to focus, but soothing voices assured him that all would be well. The voices, he would soon learn, belonged to dwarven clerics and priests of Hammerfast; he had fallen from the mountains only a dozen yards from the city walls.
    In time his sight returned and the dwarves nursed him back to health. He told them the story of his village, and the sickness, and the goat, and the oldest of the clerics, a dwarven woman named Rasmyn, smiled and placed a hand on his knee. "The hand of Moradin is clear in this. He has protected you and guided you to us, and he does not act without reason. Tell me, what do you know of the gods?"
    Over the next year, Kallak learned much from the people of Hammerfast, but nothing moved him as deeply as his study of Moradin. He became a fixture at the temple, always studying or training with the paladins.
    One day Rasmyn came to him while he studied. She sat beside him and he closed his book. "Why do you think it is that Moradin brought you to us?"
    He thought for a long moment, as he always did before answering a question, and then shook his head. "I've no idea."
    She smiled. "I've seen you train with our warriors. You have an unusual talent for fighting. A blessing." She looked at him pointedly. "Moradin guides your hand."
    "My people would say that the ancestors guide my hand." Kallak furrowed his brow. "I wonder if both are true."
    "Perhaps. But whoever it may be, they guide it for a purpose. You are not meant to be here, Kallak. You are meant to fulfill a greater calling."
    "I... should I leave?" He was taken aback.
    "I have heard things and had visions." She smiled again and clasped one of his large hands between both of hers. "Something is brewing, and I believe Moradin is trying to catch your attention...."

(Note: I don't know a lot about the Nentir Vale setting. If that stuff about Hammerfast doesn't make sense I can just change it to be some other, smaller dwarven settlement. Also, left the end really vague since I don't know what's going on yet, so hopefully this will make sense.)

If Kallak had one wish, he would be torn between wishing to know why he survived when the rest of his village died or wishing for the strength to complete whatever task Moradin might set before him. He'd probably end up picking the latter.

EDIT: Updated sheet to fix crappy reflex defense a little bit.

IAmUnaware on
    edited April 2010
    I present Aidan Twosouls, Worldspeaker Shaman, and his spirit companion/twin sister, Nadia.

Background:
    Aiden was born one, when he should have been two. His mother, a baker in Hammerfast, was supposed to have given birth to twins, or at least that's what the old sage's foretelling said. In a way, she did, though not in any way that could have been told. While in the womb, the fetus that was to be Aidan absorbed that of his twin - Aidan was born as a "chimera". Imagine their surprise, then, when as a child Aidan claimed to be playing with and talking to his sister, Nadia! To Aidan, Nadia was real, more real than the other dwarf children and adults in his life. In fact, Aidan always seemed removed from the normal world, talking to plants, animals, and even the rocks around him. Everyone assumed this would pass, it was a phase, but as Aidan grew up his connection to the spirits around him began to manifest. Though they assumed his "imaginary friend "Nadia" too would vanish, she became ever more Aidan's present companion.

Eventually, Aiden came to realize that Hammerfast could no longer be his home. He didn't fit in with the other dwarves, but had no real desire to try. The spirits of the world, and his sister in particular, were much more interesting companions. He left Hammerfast and began to wander through the Nentir Vale. It was there, in a chance encounter with goblin brigands, that his powers as a shaman began to truly appear. Aidan found he could ask the spirits of plants, rocks, and animals to help, and they would respond. He even was able to make Nadia manifest - and at the sight of a ghostly dwarf, the cowardly goblins fled! To celebrate this victory, Aidan and Nadia together carved a totemic spear from a nearby sapling, inscribing it with runes of power. Now Aidan and Nadia wander the Vale, looking to understand their connection to the primal spirits, and determine their place in nature.
    Personality:
    Aidan tends to be distracted easily, and has trouble interacting with other people, preferring to spend most of his time talking with his sister/spirit and the spirits of plants and animals around him. At Nadia's behest, he's working on this. Otherwise, he is bright eyed and cheerful, treating all the world as exciting and new and interesting.

Nadia, his spirit companion, is a female dwarf - his unborn twin, in fact, given "life" and power as a primal spirit - and resembles Aidan much as an identical twin would, albeit female. In battle, she often appears in a warrior's armor with a mighty hammer, but otherwise alters her appearance to something calm and regal-like. She is a bit more practical than Aidan, but still encourages his sense of wonder.
    CB Summary:
    ====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
    Aidan Twosouls, level 2
    Dwarf, Shaman
    Build: World Speaker Shaman
    Companion Spirit: World Speaker Spirit
    Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Spear)
    Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Totem)
    Background: Birth - Omen, Earth Steward (+2 to Endurance)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 13, Con 16, Dex 10, Int 14, Wis 18, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 13, Con 14, Dex 10, Int 14, Wis 16, Cha 8.

AC: 18 Fort: 16 Reflex: 14 Will: 17
    HP: 33 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 8

TRAINED SKILLS
    Nature +10, Insight +10, Perception +10, Endurance +12

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics, Arcana +3, Bluff, Diplomacy, Dungeoneering +7, Heal +5, History +3, Intimidate, Religion +3, Stealth, Streetwise, Thievery, Athletics +1

FEATS
    Level 1: World Speaker Spirit Adept
    Feat User Choice: Versatile Expertise
    Level 2: Armor Proficiency (Chainmail)

POWERS
    Shaman at-will 1: Watcher's Strike
    Shaman encounter 1: Bramble Ally
    Shaman daily 1: Wrath of the Spirit World
    Shaman utility 2: Inspiring Fortitude

ITEMS
    Totemic Spear Longspear +1, Brooch of No Regrets +1, Magic Chainmail +1, Adventurer's Kit
    ====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======
    Wish:
    If Aidan had a wish spell available to him, he would wish that Nadia could have a physical body, a real life, even if that meant losing his powers as a shaman.

Interesting link for more information on real life chimarae.

tzeentchling on
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dara, Genasi Swordmage

Background:
    Dara was found long ago as a baby by a dwarven miner deep under the town of Hammerfast. Calling her a "true child of the earth", her father scooped her up and rushed her home. "A blessing from Moradin," exclaimed her mother. "A true miracle," agreed her father, and so the otherwise childless couple chose to raise Dara as their own.

They were good dwarven folk, hard-working, hearty, and stout, and all those other words used to describe really dwarven dwarves. A pair of nobody dwarves from a nobody clan, living in a house nobody noticed off of gems nobody wanted they dug up from mines nobody owned and sold to nobody important. Oh, how Dara wished she could also have been a nobody! Instead, she was a somebody; a somebody whose skin was dark like the rocks; a somebody who was tall like a tree; a somebody who couldn't even grow a beard! Even the things she was good at, studying magic and history while working in the Archives, weren't things that dwarves were supposed to be good at. Never mind that some dwarves clearly were; the point was that she was too and she wasn't a dwarf.

Well she'd had it. She hated dwarves. She hated their stupid beards, their stupid legends, and their stupid pointy helmets. She hated how every other dwarf was the best blacksmith the world had ever seen, how everything was Moradin's blessing or curse or sometimes even both, and most of all, she hated how dwarves were the best at everything - the smartest, the strongest, the wisest, the oldest. If it wasn't for the few gnomes who had passed through town, they'd probably even brag about how they were the shortest!

Dara had had enough. She graciously said goodbye to her mother and father, the only two dwarves she didn't hate, and left. She dropped her clan name, cut her name short, and swore off axes, picks, and hammers forever. "Anywhere but here," she thought to herself, "and most importantly, anybody but dwarves."

Personality:
    Dara doesn't really hate dwarves. No really. Mostly, she just hates herself for taking so long to leave. Unfortunately, despite her attempts to leave the dwarves behind, she's got more than a little bit of dwarf in her still. When she knows what to do, she'll leap bombastically into action, as a good dwarf does, and there are few non-dwarves who could match her stubbornness. Still, all you have to do to earn points in her book is to not be a dwarf.

Wish:
    Dara would wish for a land that values and respects the individuality of many different races and cultures, built strong and free upon their many contributions, that treats each person fairly and well, taking care of each other in times of misfortune or illness.

hippofant on
  • soxboxsoxbox Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Rius wrote: »
    2) Tohen Angwar, Eladrin Warlord, Taclord to be sure. Submitted by Soxbox (You've taken a Greatspear but have dumped Wisdom. If you ever want the control-style feats a Polearm/Spear combo can get you, then you'll need some Wisdom to go along with your Str and Int. Con and Cha are a little less important in that scenario.)

I wasn't thinking of going the Fighter and Polearm Momentum path. That's the only wis-requiring polearm/spear feat right? That's all I'm missing out on? Haven't dived through MP2 or PHB3 yet.

soxbox on
    edited April 2010
    soxbox wrote: »
    Rius wrote: »
    2) Tohen Angwar, Eladrin Warlord, Taclord to be sure. Submitted by Soxbox (You've taken a Greatspear but have dumped Wisdom. If you ever want the control-style feats a Polearm/Spear combo can get you, then you'll need some Wisdom to go along with your Str and Int. Con and Cha are a little less important in that scenario.)

I wasn't thinking of going the Fighter and Polearm Momentum path. That's the only wis-requiring polearm/spear feat right? That's all I'm missing out on? Haven't dived through MP2 or PHB3 yet.

That is pretty much the crux of it, yeah. So if you don't intend to go that way, then you're fine =)

Rius on