As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] [Chat] Ghost donkey earns $2 million in four hours

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Any news on DK changes? I would imagine since DK is such a new class, and was "designed right" to begin with, we won't see anything drastic (other than the obvious Talent/Mastery changes coming down the pipe for all classes, which is pretty drastic).

The Rune System is getting partially reworked.
    Posted last night. Their rune system is changing so that you'll be using RP dump more often and don't have to nail every rune CD.

It'll also allow flexibility. DKs (finally, thank God) will be able to hold Runes "in reserve" so we can adapt to new situations. Which will make Tanking easier. It will also provide a tradeoff between a quick burst and the new flexibility.

shryke on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Any news on DK changes? I would imagine since DK is such a new class, and was "designed right" to begin with, we won't see anything drastic (other than the obvious Talent/Mastery changes coming down the pipe for all classes, which is pretty drastic).

Yeah the DK preview already came in. They're changing the rune system a bit (hard to explain). Blood is becoming the definitive tanking tree. Frost the dual-wield / slow-causing tree. And unholy like the disease focus dps tree.

Henroid on
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    DK changes were already quoted in the previous thread.

Or here:
    New Death Knight Abilities

Outbreak (level 81): Outbreak infects the target with both Frost Fever and Blood Plague at no rune cost. This ability allows death knights to apply diseases quickly when they are switching targets or when their diseases have been dispelled.

Necrotic Strike (level 83): Necrotic Strike is a new attack that deals weapon damage and applies a debuff that absorbs an amount of healing based on the damage done. For context, imagine that the death knight can choose between doing 8,000 damage outright with a certain ability, or dealing 6,000 damage and absorbing 4,000 points in incoming heals with Necrotic Strike -- the burst is smaller, but a larger overall amount of healing would be required to bring the target back to full health.

This ability is meant to bring back some of the old flavor from when death knights could dispel heal-over-time (HoT) effects. It also gives the class a bit more PvP utility without simply replicating a Mortal Strike-style effect.

Dark Simulacrum (level 85): The death knight strikes a target, applying a debuff that allows the death knight to copy the opponent's next spell cast and unleash it. Unlike Spell Reflection, Dark Simulacrum does not cancel the incoming spell. In general, if you can't reflect an ability, you won't be able to copy it either.

Rune System Changes

While we're satisfied with the way the rune system works overall, we're making a few major changes to the mechanics that will ultimately help death knight players feel less constrained. Here's the rationale behind the changes, followed by an explanation of how the new system will work.

* In the current rune system, any time a rune is sitting idle, death knights are losing out on potential damage output. By comparison, rogues spend most of their time at low energy levels, and if they're unable to use their skills for a few seconds, that energy builds up and can be spent later, minimizing the net loss from the interruption.

* A death knight's runes, on the other hand, cannot be used until they are fully active. If a death knight ever goes more than a few seconds without spending an available rune, that resource is essentially wasted. Because the death knight is pushing buttons constantly, it can be difficult to add new mechanics to the class because the player doesn't have any free global cooldowns to use them. We can't grant extra resources or reduced cost, because there is no time to spend them. Missing an attack is devastating, and it's impossible to save resources for when they're most useful.

* Additionally, each individual death knight ability has a fairly low impact on its own, making it feel like most of the death knight's attacks are weak. The death knight's rotations are also more easily affected by latency or a player's timing being just a little off. At times, it feels like death knights aren't able to take advantage of their unique resource mechanic, which can diminish the fun.

* The new rune system will change how runes regenerate, from filling simultaneously to filling sequentially. For example, if you use two Blood runes, then the first rune will fill up before the second one starts to fill up. Essentially, you have three sets of runes filling every 10 seconds instead of six individual runes filling every 10 seconds. (Haste will cause runes to fill faster.) Another way to think of this is having three runes that go up to 200% each (allowing extra "storage"), rather than six runes that go up to 100% each.

* As this is a major change to the death knight's mechanics, it will of course require us to retune many of the class's current abilities. For example, each ability needs to hit harder or otherwise be more meaningful since the death knight is getting fewer resources per unit of time. Some abilities will need to have their costs reduced as a result.

Talent Changes

Next we'll outline some of the death knight talent-tree changes we're planning in Cataclysm. This list is by no means comprehensive, but it should give you a sense of how we're intending each death knight spec to perform.

* One of the biggest changes we're making is converting Blood into a dedicated tanking tree. While we feel that having three tanking trees was successful overall, it's less necessary in a world with dual-specialization. In addition, the current breakdown isn't as compatible with the Mastery-based passive talent-tree bonuses we want to add (see below). We'd rather spend time tweaking and balancing one good tanking tree rather than having a tank always wondering if they picked the "correct" tree out of three possibilities.

* Blood seemed like the best fit for tanking. Unholy has always had a strong niche with diseases, magic, and command over pets. Frost now feels like a solid dual-wield tree with Frost magic damage and decent crowd control. Blood's niche was self-healing -- fitting for a tank -- as well as strong weapon swings, which could easily be migrated to Frost and Unholy.

* Our plan is to move the most interesting and fun tanking talents and abilities to Blood. For example, you will likely see Vampiric Blood and Will of the Necropolis remain, while Bone Shield will move over from Unholy.

Mastery Passive Talent Tree Bonuses

Blood
    Damage reduction
    Vengeance
    Healing Absorption

Frost
    Melee damage
    Melee Haste
    Runic Power Generation

Unholy
    Melee damage
    Melee and spell critical damage
    Disease Damage

Healing Absorption: When you heal yourself, you'll receive an additional effect that absorbs incoming damage.

Runic Power Generation: This will function as the name implies, and the new rune system will make generating Runic Power more appealing.

Disease Damage: Unholy death knights will be able to get more out of their diseases, which are integral to the tree's play style.

Vengeance: This new mechanic is designed to ensure that tank damage output (and therefore threat) doesn't fall behind as damage-dealing classes improve their gear during the course of the expansion. All tanking specs will have Vengeance as their second talent tree passive bonus. Whenever a tank gets hit, Vengeance will grant a stacking Attack Power buff equal to 5% of the damage done, up to a maximum of 10% of the character's unbuffed health. For boss encounters, we expect that tanks will always have an Attack Power bonus equal to 10% of their health. The 5% and 10% bonuses assume 51 talent points have been put into the Blood tree; these values will be smaller at lower levels.

You only get the Vengeance bonus if you have spent the most talent points in the Blood tree, so you won't see Frost or Unholy death knights running around with it. Vengeance will let us continue to design tank gear more or less the way we do today; there will be some damage-dealing stats, but mostly survival-oriented stats. Druids typically have more damage-dealing stats even on their tanking gear, so their Vengeance benefit may be smaller, but the goal is that all four tanks will do about the same damage when tanking.

We hope you enjoyed this preview, and we're looking forward to hearing your thoughts and feedback on these additions and changes. Please keep in mind that this information represents a work in progress and is subject to change as development on Cataclysm continues.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hmm, where are you guys seeing this stuff? I saw the hunter stuff in this thread...but is there a site with this listed?

e: And thanks for the full quote Fantastico.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2010
    MMO-Champion is listing them all. Or the main forums has them.

And Camo doesn't seem that good if all you need to break it is melee damage or an AoE.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/

I swore off the site but I have to admit, they're on the ball with updating.

Henroid on
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    I wonder what the appropriate pets things are for each race. That's a fantastic change though.

My guess is it'll be based on the starting area, and maybe mounts where applicable:

My guesses:

Trolls Raptor
    Blood Elf: Lynx
    Undead: Bat or Spider
    Orc: Boar
    Tauren: Plainstrider or Wolf(?)
    Goblin: No idea

Human: Wolf
    Night Elf: Cat or Owl(?)
    Draenei: Ravager
    Dwarf: Bear
    Furry: No idea, Wolf?

Nobody on
    edited April 2010
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    MMO-Champion is listing them all. Or the main forums has them.

And Camo doesn't seem that good if all you need to break it is melee damage or an AoE.

The idea behind camo seems very... it sorta goes back to that immersion vs. game function thing. Like the idea of a camo ability sounds cool but it does have some goofy workings to it. Some quasi stealth.

Henroid on
    edited April 2010
    Yah, I don't like those DK changes at all. They are removing what makes the class unique (it requires skill and forethought to play correctly). That's the fun of DK, it's crazy button mashing, but it has to be strategic, correct, crazy button mashing. The timing has to be right.

They are basically making DK's Warriors with those changes.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The hunter changes make me so happy to be playing this game again.

Can't wait to level a hunter and join the ranks of the [strike]huntards[/strike] silly geese who have a really easy class to play and excel with (this was the case before WotLK anyways, not sure now). Mana costs were the only potentially annoying thing about leveling a hunter before (no pet before level 10 was what, 3-4 hours of annoyance?) and now that they're gone and I don't have to watch my mana in between fights, what is there to be annoyed with?

Sexy changes all around, Blizzard.

4rch3nemy on
  • NeylaNeyla Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Nobody wrote: »
    I wonder what the appropriate pets things are for each race. That's a fantastic change though.

My guess is it'll be based on the starting area, and maybe mounts where applicable:

My guesses:

Trolls Raptor

Furry: Gnome

Neyla on
    13142111181576.png
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I don't know about the Hunter changes.
    Honestly, I like my Marksman specced Hunter exactly as she is now. I kind of like the change from mana to focus, but at the same time I'm content with it as it is now.

L Ron Howard on
    edited April 2010

My guesses:

Trolls Raptor

Trolls getting raptors and blood elves getting lynx are the obvious guesses (well, draenei too).

Everything else seems to have two options available to them though. I was guessing that orcs would have wolves / worgs, but now that you mention boars I FEAR it. They've got the worgs as mounts already, why not have them as hunting companions?

If humans get wolves, it'll be those sleeker wolves, not the rough-cut worgs.

Henroid on
    edited April 2010
    Yah, I don't like those DK changes at all. They are removing what makes the class unique (it requires skill and forethought to play correctly). That's the fun of DK, it's crazy button mashing, but it has to be strategic, correct, crazy button mashing. The timing has to be right.

Except it's not strategic. It's the same crazy button mashing over and over again. And with itm they can't really ad any new skills, since we've got no free time to use them.

It also makes tanking a bitch on certain fights since DKs can't actually REACT to anything.

shryke on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Cobra shot? Yeah, I'm gonna say I was close enough with my "Beast Shot" guess.

Dehumanized on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    They should make it so your pets stay alongside you when you're on a ground mount, I miss that.

815165 on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    7 classes down and the shaman info still impresses me the most, probably because of how much it seems to improve elemental and maybe resto. The warlock info is probably the least impressive to me.

Edit: DKs will be using fewer rune-powered abilities, and more runic power abilities. I don't expect total ability usage to be any less than unholy is now, but hopefully it's not quite as tight as blood was the last time I played. God forbid that we have ~1 cooldown per 10 seconds available for miscellaneous use.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
    edited April 2010
    shryke wrote: »

Except it's not strategic. It's the same crazy button mashing over and over again. And with itm they can't really ad any new skills, since we've got no free time to use them.

It also makes tanking a bitch on certain fights since DKs can't actually REACT to anything.

If you do the same crazy button mashing over, and over, you're doing it wrong, especially if you're tanking. Yes, there is a rotation, but your rotation has to change based on what's going on. I don't use the same rotation for AE fights as I do for single target fights.

And what do you mean we can't react to anything? We HAVE to react to things, as our tanking is cool down based. I do it all the time. "Oh, boss cast high damage DoT, better toss up Anti-Magic Shell"...that's a reaction.

I get the sense this is a change more for DPS than tanking. DPS has the super strict rotations they never break, while tanking is (by it's very nature) far more fluid, if you're doing it right.

GnomeTank on
    edited April 2010

If you do the same crazy button mashing over, and over, you're doing it wrong, especially if you're tanking. Yes, there is a rotation, but your rotation has to change based on what's going on. I don't use the same rotation for AE fights as I do for single target fights.

And what do you mean we can't react to anything? We HAVE to react to things, as our tanking is cool down based. I do it all the time. "Oh, boss cast high damage DoT, better toss up Anti-Magic Shell"...that's a reaction.

I get the sense this is a change more for DPS than tanking. DPS has the super strict rotations they never break, while tanking is (by it's very nature) far more fluid, if you're doing it right.

"Oh look, here come some ads, lemme wait 8 seconds for DnD to be available."

I get the feeling you haven't done alot of tanking with your DK if you haven't noticed the lack of reactivity.

And changing rotations for different fights is hardly a refutation of the fact that DKs have a very strict rotation.

shryke on
    edited April 2010

My guesses:

Trolls Raptor

Trolls getting raptors and blood elves getting lynx are the obvious guesses (well, draenei too).

Everything else seems to have two options available to them though. I was guessing that orcs would have wolves / worgs, but now that you mention boars I FEAR it. They've got the worgs as mounts already, why not have them as hunting companions?

If humans get wolves, it'll be those sleeker wolves, not the rough-cut worgs.

Yeah any time you see a mention of wolf up there, it's the "old world" wolves not the worgs.

I mean, technically Orcs could end up with scorpions too. I'm not sure why I skipped over those (and hey, it's even the Org Argent Tournament non-combat pet!)

I think it's a safe bet that Dwarves get bears (especially given the original cinematic). Night Elves, Tauren, and Undead all have several potential options, while the two new races are wildcards given we don't even know what creatures are in their starting zones yet.

Nobody on
    edited April 2010
    Septus wrote: »
    7 classes down and the shaman info still impresses me the most, probably because of how much it seems to improve elemental and maybe resto. The warlock info is probably the least impressive to me.
    So far, I'd rank my impressions thusly:

Warriors - Most impressive
    Hunters - Very impressive
    Shaman - Very impressive
    Warlocks - Sorta impressive
    Death Knights - Not really impressive
    Rogues - Not really impressive
    Priest - Least impressive

Warlocks and priests are my least favorite classes to play in this game, warlocks barely winning out above priests. But I like what I see in the changes. It probably won't fix the problems I have with 'em (which aren't like huge scathing issues, it's just a matter of personal taste), but they're nice.

Henroid on
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

article-1094065-02C80CB6000005DC-763_468x307.jpg

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
    edited April 2010
    Yeah any time you see a mention of wolf up there, it's the "old world" wolves not the worgs.

There's like three models for "wolf" types in this game and I describe them all thusly:

Sleek wolves
    Worgs
    Scraggly wolves (the ones in Northrend)

Nobody is going to start with the scraggly wolves. If they do, it's going to be a very bad decision. Well, except in the case of the Worgen. But those scraggly wolves are suppose to give the impression of being wild, untamed, dangerous fucks.

Henroid on
    edited April 2010

I get the feeling you haven't done alot of tanking with your DK if you haven't noticed the lack of reactivity.

Three words for you: Empower. Rune. Weapon.

If you aren't using it in situations like the one you just described, then you have no one but yourself to blame for a lack of reactivity.

e: As a completely unrelated side note (because this really shouldn't matter, except for epeen stroking), I've done a ton of tanking on my DK. Don't confuse me being willing to use all of my available tools to alleviate rune drought, to me not tanking a lot.

GnomeTank on
    edited April 2010

There's like three models for "wolf" types in this game and I describe them all thusly:

Sleek wolves
    Worgs

Nobody is going to start with the scraggly wolves. If they do, it's going to be a very bad decision. Well, except in the case of the Worgen. But those scraggly wolves are suppose to give the impression of being wild, untamed, dangerous fucks.

Let me clarify then: I'm referring to the wolves that appear in the respective starting zones. In all cases I can think of, these are all sleek wolves.

EDIT: In some cases these are diseased (I think the ones for the human starting area are now). I'm presuming "healthy" versions though. Of course, the Undead starter could end up being a diseased sleek wolf so who knows.

Nobody on
    edited April 2010

If you aren't using it in situations like the one you just described, then you have no one but yourself to blame for a lack of reactivity.

Ahh yes, that 5 minute cooldown will fix all our problems!!!!

shryke on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I'm tempted to put them up pretty high up there, but heroic leap never impressed me in the beta, and I think it's lacking info on how to make warrior dps a bit more involved(fury at least).

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Why does everyone forget that dragonhawks are the first, best, be pet?

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited April 2010

If you're with a group that's forcing you to need to use ERW more than every five minutes, something is wrong.

GnomeTank on
    edited April 2010
    Arivia wrote: »

Because I never see one beyond level 20 :P

Nobody on
    edited April 2010

Sleek wolves
    Worgs

Let me clarify then: I'm referring to the wolves that appear in the respective starting zones. In all cases I can think of, these are all sleek wolves.

Oh yeah. That's what I'm wondering about though. Are they basing their decisions for race pets on starting zones or are they willing to extend out a bit? Because, like I said earlier, if orcs can have worgs as mounts (which are awesome) they should have them as prime choices for pets. It fits their overall culture too. Scorpids and boars don't seem very orcish in this sort of manner.

I would say boars would contend with bears for being the dwarf pet. But that's because I had an RP dwarf hunter that had a boar as a pet, and he'd often give said boar a bowl of ale whenever in town.

Henroid on
    edited April 2010
    EDIT: In some cases these are diseased (I think the ones for the human starting area are now). I'm presuming "healthy" versions though. Of course, the Undead starter could end up being a diseased sleek wolf so who knows.

There are healthy wolves in Elwynn Forest, I cut a giant path through them last night levelling skinning.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited April 2010
    I'm thinking of the ones around Northshire Abbey. Weren't they changed to be diseased wolves a couple of patches ago?

Nobody on
    edited April 2010

If you're with a group that's forcing you to need to use ERW more than every five minutes, something is wrong.

Yes, there's never an encounter that involves picking up mobs more then once every 5 minutes. How silly of me. :lol:

shryke on
    edited April 2010
    Septus wrote: »

I'm tempted to put them up pretty high up there, but heroic leap never impressed me in the beta, and I think it's lacking info on how to make warrior dps a bit more involved(fury at least).

It's more than heroic leap (the thunder clap effect they're putting on it is like, they've sold me on the idea already). But the way things read out as a whole, it's like rage generation is going to come and go faster. The heroic strike change is what hints at that more, since it's an instant dump now.

Henroid on
    edited April 2010

Because I never see one beyond level 20 :P

Those are silly people who don't get that Flame Breath scales better than any other hunter pet ability (because it used to have one rank at level 6 and one at 67.)

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited April 2010
    I'm thinking of the ones around Northshire Abbey. Weren't they changed to be diseased wolves a couple of patches ago?

God I hope not, there's no reason for that to happen. O_o

Henroid on
    edited April 2010

Yes, but that's not all of them. If all the new hunters only got pets from the first hour of play, they'd get like a choice. Each.

God I hope not, there's no reason for that to happen. O_o

Mysteriiiiiiiiiious FOOOOOOOREshaaaaaaaaAAAAAADooooooooooowIIIIIING

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I think cause the ones in the BE starter zone have (or had) caster stats so a lot of people avoided using them.

815165 on
    edited April 2010
    Why are the wolves in Northshire Abbey diseased? D:

Henroid on
This discussion has been closed.