As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East '11 Costumes!

• Options
    SoyduckSoyduck Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Annadork wrote: »
    I'd love to cosplay again next year, though I just have a few ideas right now, nothing solid. I've been thinking of Wander from Shadow of the Colossus, or Sheik from Ocarina of Time. Then again I'm coming for three days this time, so I suppose there's no reason I can't do both!

That would be so awesome! Sheik is like, the ultimate cosplay for me. I just don't have the lithe build for it though. You'd definitely have to get an ocarina! *shivers* Or maybe some throwing needle thingies a la Super Smash Bros!

Wander would be really great, too. Two awesome strong, quiet characters. Good luck!

Soyduck on
  • Options
    klokateer9047klokateer9047 A.K.A Captain Freezeezy Long island,NYRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Me and my friends were thinking of going as castle crashers because we've been laying lately,but I'm not sure if it's 'considered too old'.If we don't,we'll probally show up as tunnel snakes,or something..

klokateer9047 on
    Steam:Klokateer9047

Xbox live:Wonderboy9047

@Astonishingmike on twitter

STILL THE BEST 1973-FOREVER
  • Options
    MaiuMaiu Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I hope to do a Big Sister costume... it's good to have a year to plan ^-^

Maiu on
  • Options
    vIMvIM Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I would totally Cosplay for PAX next year. Trouble is coming from the UK y'gotta pack everything you'll need in a case for the plane.

I'll see what games are hot around then, unless I think of something super awesome thats still gonna be a hit in a year. I love putting effort into my costumes, here's a couple of my fav's...

Both Tim Burton Char's, Mad Hatter's next, but will have to put something PAX/game related for next year...

24219_384970482174_506302174_4358772_6468503_n.jpg

15149_200808006048_510146048_4237556_2105664_n.jpg

vIM on
  • Options
    RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wow great Tim Burton costumes!

RainbowTunnel on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Thank ya, just need to apply that creativity to a PAX related costume =/

The easy way out would be just to go as a Smoker, I've got the body frame for it.

vIM on
  • Options
    ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    you bet your asses we'll be coming back!!!

We'll have our Slime Blower done in time too plus we'll be there Saturday and Sunday as well.

Look forward to seeing everyone again!

I might throw together a trainee costume just to get a picture with you guys.

Without the proton pack, just the meter, since we all know you cant just throw a proton pack on the new kid.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    lkhushrenadalkhushrenada Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Please be the witch again ^_^ Even for one day... Pleeasee....

As for me, I have the following: Super Sailor Mars, Zoey (L4D), Mirror;s Edge girl, and I am in the procvess of making my costume for the creepy girl from Calling.

You started the topic! : D Woot. Was gunna get around to it when it was closer to the time, but you beat me too it.

Hmmmm I'm not sure what I'm going to do.
    I'm going to get a three day pass this time, for sure, but I'm not sure if I'm going to use multiple costumes.
    I might be the witch again, and make it a tradition.
    I'm not sure.

lkhushrenada on
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The witch cosplay was indeed epic. I'm trying to figure out why though. Maybe . . . I don't know. Many attendees are drawn to powerful female figures, I suppose, but the L4D witch represents a character with whom you can instigate your own pretend brutal murder without doing anything that violates social norms.

Maybe. Just a theory.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    mspencer wrote: »
    The witch cosplay was indeed epic. I'm trying to figure out why though. Maybe . . . I don't know. Many attendees are drawn to powerful female figures, I suppose, but the L4D witch represents a character with whom you can instigate your own pretend brutal murder without doing anything that violates social norms.

Maybe. Just a theory.

The witch seems to be a zombie that everyone's afraid of. Not seriously lights-on-at-night afraid, but love to be freaked out by her. Follow? I think if I hadn't been in character for the amount of time I was, for the time of [scratch]day[/scratch] night it was, and hadn't been in (let's admit it) basically only underwear, maybe I wouldn't have gotten as possitive of a responce. That, and L4D is a really popular game, so probably 75-90% of the attendees knew exactly what I was simply by the acting.

That's my thought.

I probably will go as the Witch as at least one day, I'm just not sure which one. Friday or Saturday, but which one....

RainbowTunnel on
  • Options
    LoweryiLoweryi Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Maybe. Just a theory.

The witch seems to be a zombie that everyone's afraid of. Not seriously lights-on-at-night afraid, but love to be freaked out by her. Follow? I think if I hadn't been in character for the amount of time I was, for the time of [scratch]day[/scratch] night it was, and hadn't been in (let's admit it) basically only underwear, maybe I wouldn't have gotten as possitive of a responce. That, and L4D is a really popular game, so probably 75-90% of the attendees knew exactly what I was simply by the acting.

That's my thought.

I probably will go as the Witch as at least one day, I'm just not sure which one. Friday or Saturday, but which one....

It would be awesome if you could go Friday...because my friend and I had an idea. All credit goes to you, obviously, for being the most awesome witch ever. But my friend and I were inspired by your performance, we thought that maybe we could go as witches as well, on Friday. And then you'd have multiple witches walking around, crying in corners, scaring people, and occasionally shrieking and charging at random passersby.

We thought it would be cool to have a sort of...witch brigade. What do you think?

Loweryi on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Loweryi wrote: »

Maybe. Just a theory.

That's my thought.

It would be awesome if you could go Friday...because my friend and I had an idea. All credit goes to you, obviously, for being the most awesome witch ever. But my friend and I were inspired by your performance, we thought that maybe we could go as witches as well, on Friday. And then you'd have multiple witches walking around, crying in corners, scaring people, and occasionally shrieking and charging at random passersby.

We thought it would be cool to have a sort of...witch brigade. What do you think?

I think it's a wonderful idea. However, I think it'd work best if there were a TON of other infected (like 50 or more). One of the things that makes witches so attractive is the rarity factor. I think this plan would have been perfect for Anime Boston 2009, when there were infected absolutely everywhere. Too bad PAX isn't like that. : (
    Though if you want to go as witches, I don't want to stop you. Do whatever you think is best. : )

RainbowTunnel on
  • Options
    FacelesscogFacelesscog Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You know, maybe I've been thinking about this the wrong way... I've been trying to come up with costumes that I could successfully pull off in my wheelchair (like Gilby), but maybe there's a different alternative... Maybe I could make a truly bitchin' Companion Cube and carry it around with me! I could even use it as a storage device, either for Cookie Brigade cookies or for the donations from them!

I will definitely need to spend some time thinking about this...

EDIT: Ok, just ripped all the relevant audio from my installation of Portal. I have GladOS talking about the Companion Cube AND all of the audio from the Turrets, if I decide I want to try and make one of those. :D

Facelesscog on
  • Options
    LoweryiLoweryi Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Maybe. Just a theory.

That's my thought.

I think it's a wonderful idea. However, I think it'd work best if there were a TON of other infected (like 50 or more). One of the things that makes witches so attractive is the rarity factor. I think this plan would have been perfect for Anime Boston 2009, when there were infected absolutely everywhere. Too bad PAX isn't like that. : (
    Though if you want to go as witches, I don't want to stop you. Do whatever you think is best. : )

We should rally up a lot of people who'd like to cosplay but don't know what as, and have them just go as infected. Anyone on the forums who wants to cosplay, really! Maybe that might work.

It would be wonderful to put people in a state of paranoia throughout the day thinking that a nearby witch in a corner could start chasing after them if they get too close, haha. :D

Loweryi on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Maybe. Just a theory.

That's my thought.

We should rally up a lot of people who'd like to cosplay but don't know what as, and have them just go as infected. Anyone on the forums who wants to cosplay, really! Maybe that might work.

It would be wonderful to put people in a state of paranoia throughout the day thinking that a nearby witch in a corner could start chasing after them if they get too close, haha. :D

I think it's a great idea, but again I must think that the time may have passed to carry this out with the best results. I don't want to push this idea onto anyone else, and there are lots of other great cosplays to be had than becoming a small part of a large group that would really only benifit a few people. If the general concensus to that people really want to do this, then we might be able to pull it off with enough people.

And we gotta remember that the attendees probably want to feel safe most of the time, not paranoid, lol. (As much as we want to freak them out, we gotta give them breathing time : P )

@Facelesscog: you should cosplay whatever you want, wheelchair or not! Don't let that stop you from wearing your dream cosplay. : ) There can always be modifications to the costume to fit with a wheelchair if absolutely necissary, so don't sweat it! And the Companion Cube sounds awesome.

RainbowTunnel on
  • Options
    StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm taking my Snake Eyes costume, almost did this year but decided against it since I wanted my first PAX to not have complications.

I got a new dremel so I'm refabricating the visor, also plan on adding lots of little things here and there to switch it to be more movie/lean Snake Eyes and less commando/tactical Snake Eyes. This should also help be more convention-friendly.

I'm tempted to actually take just the mask and one of my suits and be businessman Snake Eyes for shits and giggles.

Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
  • Options
    badjujumanbadjujuman They call me Kotty Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    After going to PAX East, I've toyed around with the idea of making a costume. I'll have to think on it and get back to you all.

badjujuman on
    "You wanna go Matrix?" - Kris Straub
    "Yeah, I wanna go Matrix." - Scott Kurtz
    (Scott Kurtz panel - PAX East 2010)
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Staxeon wrote: »
    I'm tempted to actually take just the mask and one of my suits and be businessman Snake Eyes for shits and giggles.

I'd lol.

@Badjujuman: Dude you totally should! We'll be awaiting your decision.

RainbowTunnel on
  • Options
    Andrew TatroAndrew Tatro Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm taking my Snake Eyes costume, almost did this year but decided against it since I wanted my first PAX to not have complications.

I got a new dremel so I'm refabricating the visor, also plan on adding lots of little things here and there to switch it to be more movie/lean Snake Eyes and less commando/tactical Snake Eyes. This should also help be more convention-friendly.

Do this. Do this nine times.

Andrew Tatro on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Looks like I'll be taking a suit, my briefcase, Snake Eyes mask & sword to PAX. Actually....this may require a trip to Good Will for a "new" suit, because I don't want to cut a scabbard slit into one of my good suit jackets.

Staxeon on
    (Twitter)
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Looks like I'll be taking a suit, my briefcase, Snake Eyes mask & sword to PAX. Actually....this may require a trip to Good Will for a "new" suit, because I don't want to cut a scabbard slit into one of my good suit jackets.

Sounds like a good idea. Don't want to go to some important business meeting and have it go wrong.

Employer: "Is that a huge rip in your jacket?"
    You: "Huh? Oh! How'd - ? ..... oh. Well... I was this videogame character this one time, and I had to, um...."
    -awkward silence-

RainbowTunnel on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Boss: Is that a rip in your jacket?
    Me: No, katana pass-through.
    --awkward silence--
    Me: Oh don't worry I left it in the car. But you should still never speak of this again, for your own good.

Staxeon on
    (Twitter)
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Boss: Is that a rip in your jacket?
    Me: No, katana pass-through.
    --awkward silence--
    Me: Oh don't worry I left it in the car. But you should still never speak of this again, for your own good.

Okay, so maybe I'm just not funny. : P
    I laughed when I read yours, though.

RainbowTunnel on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'm gonna put something together, seems well worth it. We'll be a big bunch of infected.

vIM on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    It looks like I'll be going with a Portal theme. I'll have my companion cube cookie storage unit (for the Cookie Brigade) and a GLaDOS sphere on my lap. (the curiosity sphere, to be specific) I plan on having actual GLaDOS audio from the game, as well as some custom audio, coming from the sphere. It should be cool, if I can pull it off. Also, my wife is talking about dressing as Chell, to complete the combo. (I guess that means I should put on a labcoat or something to look like an Aperture Science guy. :) )

Facelesscog on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'd lol.

My only issue is that I don't know what to go as that would look good. I'm a bit of a bigger guy, so slimmer costumes are out the door. What else could I do?

badjujuman on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ok, here's what I have so far...

Weighted Companion Cube Cookie Dispersal Unit:
    Mobile%20Cookie%20Platform2.jpg
    This will hang on the back of my wheelchair and carry a nice supply of cookies for the Brigade!

GLaDOS Core Unit (carried on my lap, when built)
    GLaDOS%20Core.png

Custom audio files to be added to audio clips extracted from the game:
    If I can pull it off, it'll be awesome. :)

Facelesscog on
  • Options
    SoyduckSoyduck Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

This will hang on the back of my wheelchair and carry a nice supply of cookies for the Brigade!

GLaDOS%20Core.png

THAT IS AMAZING! *speechless* Now I want a cookie ... really bad ...

Soyduck on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Soyduck wrote: »
    THAT IS AMAZING! *speechless* Now I want a cookie ... really bad ...

That's the idea. :)

Glad you like it.

Facelesscog on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    badjujuman wrote: »
    I'd lol.

My only issue is that I don't know what to go as that would look good. I'm a bit of a bigger guy, so slimmer costumes are out the door. What else could I do?

Pssshhh, forget about that. Just cosplay what you want to do, and you'll be happy. If you're dead set on non-slim cosplays, perhaps Coach or Bill from L4D, or a Pokemon of some kind?

RainbowTunnel on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I just got an idea. I'm going to have to flesh it out a bit, but it just might work.

badjujuman on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Pssshhh, forget about that. Just cosplay what you want to do, and you'll be happy. If you're dead set on non-slim cosplays, perhaps Coach or Bill from L4D, or a Pokemon of some kind?

I'm with RainbowTunnel on this one. I'm not a small guy, and I found something to do. Granted, mine is a little...different?...but it's still something I'll enjoy! (And something that will, hopefully, attract more attention and therefore gather more victims...err...customers...for the Cookie Brigade!)

Facelesscog on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I'm with RainbowTunnel on this one. I'm not a small guy, and I found something to do. Granted, mine is a little...different?...but it's still something I'll enjoy! (And something that will, hopefully, attract more attention and therefore gather more victims...err...customers...for the Cookie Brigade!)

Of course, customers for the Cookie Brigade! What else would they be, right? : P

RainbowTunnel on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Idea 1/2:
    lechuck.jpg
    stan_color.jpg

Idea 3: A Cardboard-tube Samurai, but not like Gabe. A bigger style, like the ones that would carry around a bigger weapon because of their frame. You get what I'm saying?

Kinda like guys like this:
    chars_kikuchiyo[1]_Pic8.JPG
    ff10-auron.jpg

So what do you guys think?

badjujuman on
  • Options
    LilybellLilybell Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm planning on two costumes for next year. I'm definitely going with American McGee's Alice. I own the majority of this outfit and I'll just learn her gestures. I'm throwing around the idea of Clara from The Guild. I could never pull off Codex or Tink. I think she would be fun to play and maybe a baby monitor as an additional prop.

Lilybell on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    ~LilyBell~

LilyH.png
  • Options
    LilybellLilybell Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

GLaDOS%20Core.png

Holy Crap! I love your idea and the audio is awesome!

Lilybell on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    ~LilyBell~

LilyH.png
  • Options
    Pablo the PenguinPablo the Penguin Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    After watching Giantbomb's new endurance run of deadly premonition, I am very tempted to dress as agent Francis York Morgan.

Pablo the Penguin on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ok my plan was to go as a Smoker to compliment The Witch, but instead I've found something much more challenging and fun, tbh.
    mad-hatter-johnny-depp-in-alice-in-wonderland_vf.jpg[IMG][/img]

vIM on
  • Options
    flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Was thinking of doing the 10th Doctor but I was beaten to the punch. I suppose I could be 11th, but he's not my Doctor. Plus then I'd have to kill the 10th guy or there would be a time paradox and Reapers and.... wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey.

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • Options
    AJ MckayAJ Mckay Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Jim Darkmagic is probably my no. 1 seed right now for 2011 costumes. However, I'd like to get 3 more people to go as the rest of Acquisitions Inc.

Or 2 people and our Binwin can carry a jar of Aeofel.

AJ Mckay on
    If you need me, I'll be in Stellar Cartography.

->|SHIIIIIRRRRRT|<-
This discussion has been closed.