As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Phalla] of Hyperion: TechnoCore Victory! Kime Victory!

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kime, you should start out every game now saying that you can't be killed.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

It really still is quite hilarious.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    DeShadow, why was your first instinct when I contacted you to get me killed off?

I voted for you before you contacted me and then changed the bandwagon afterward. I then made sure Kime didn't kill you.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    On a side note Kime voting for Ohtsam day 1 almost made Ohtsam lose the vote. That would have confused the hell out of me.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yeah I'm also surprised at how much control DSC had over the vote.

And what do you mean you almost vigged me for killing Lucedes? I admitted to doing it and in doing so told you my role and what I was after entirely for the reason of you realizing I wasn't hunting Core :P

Nocturne on
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That is some funny timing then, your vote for me went up like 30 seconds after my PM I think :P

Thanks for not killing me, I guess my bus driving didn't even really matter though, or else we would have seen a dead Kime or Chamberlain at some point? Either way, VICTORY FOR ME!

Does anybody know if I accidentally revealed the Shrike to someone? I switched the powers done on Dunadan and Mazzyx on Day 2.

Kid Presentable on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »

And what do you mean you almost vigged me for killing Lucedes? I admitted to doing it and in doing so told you my role and what I was after entirely for the reason of you realizing I wasn't hunting Core :P

I didn't believe you until a Hegemony member died the next day :P

@Raiden: I get that he wasn't representative of all of you guys. Just saying that post won me the vote. Did the Hegemony proboard at all?

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    That is some funny timing then, your vote for me went up like 30 seconds after my PM I think :P

Thanks for not killing me, I guess my bus driving didn't even really matter though, or else we would have seen a dead Kime or Chamberlain at some point? Either way, VICTORY FOR ME!

Does anybody know if I accidentally revealed the Shrike to someone? I switched the powers done on Dunadan and Mazzyx on Day 2.

That's what made enlightenedbum win.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    WildPantha was the one who told me who the Shrike was, which I then relayed to kime and told him to get other vigs to focus fire, as my role PM said I would need help but I didn't know how much.

That is pretty hilarious that ebum got busdriven to victory, though.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    DeShadowC wrote: »

I didn't believe you until a Hegemony member died the next day :P

@Raiden: I get that he wasn't representative of all of you guys. Just saying that post won me the vote. Did the Hegemony proboard at all?

Not really. Zanmatto, Giltanis, and Ohtsam started a proboard. I got invited shortly afterwards, and zanmatto died the same day. Then Gil died.

There was literally no strategy discussion, just "yeah, this guy was confirmed as an ouster, guess we should target him rather than hit one of the 10 hegemony who never bothered to try to connect with us"

If you want it unlocked to see it, talk to Zanmatto, he's admin. I'm at work right now so I don't even have the URL handy.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Two things hurt the other factions. One not networking in a faction phalla, and two voting against their own people in fear of being "outed" instead of trying to turn the bandwagon.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Also kime you timed that perfectly :P

Yeah, I'm rather glad we both managed to pull off a win on the same day :P.

It really still is quite hilarious.

It is awesome.
    On a side note Kime voting for Ohtsam day 1 almost made Ohtsam lose the vote. That would have confused the hell out of me.

I was actually hoping for that, then hoping the village would waste another day on me. Just for fun :P. Getting voted out early though really helped, got a lot of people to contact me throughout the game 'cause'f that.

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This is what you get when you kill the damn spreadsheeter. :?

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    AoR_Final wrote: »
    This is what you get when you kill the damn spreadsheeter. :?

What? VICTORY? 10101010101010

Translation: Muahahaha!

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

That's what made enlightenedbum win.

Yeah, I got lucky. I was trying to get in contact with some of the high profile players as they were the most likely to get soft networking going and I felt the most likely to make deals.

So my general target list day one was Duna/kime/a few others, but I went with a smart but less high profile guy day one (Oats) so I would probably not lose it. Then kime contacted me after day one, so I targeted Duna and got lucky. I think I probably win day four or five anyway.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    stormwindstormwind Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    kime: I suspected you, but it didn't matter because I could guard myself from one hit per night. I figured that would be enough; I wasn't a threat to any of the factions.

Nocturne: that's the same reason I gave you such a half-assed explanation.

Yes, I was a guard/guard canceler (grammar?).

I contacted Xenogears, told him I was a guard, and could help his faction. He never responded.

I realized about night 4 that I couldn't trust any of the factions because I didn't matter to them, and selling me to Kassad (guessed Nocturne night 6) would remove a vig, helping everyone.

stormwind on
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You are a Zero Gravity Commando. The Ousters are a faction of mankind that has adapted genetically and technologically to live in the deepest regions of space. You have been trained for ship to ship combat in the depths of interstellar space, but your training will serve you just as well on any battlefield.

Each night you may kill one player.

You are loyal to the Ousters and seek the destruction of all threats to your people.

Yea so I was the Ouster Vig. I sucked at networking, but hey at least it kept me alive. And I never once hit a friendly.

Smurph on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Pfft Nocturne was killing people who weren't in my network. He was extremely useful :)

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Smurph wrote: »
    You are a Zero Gravity Commando. The Ousters are a faction of mankind that has adapted genetically and technologically to live in the deepest regions of space. You have been trained for ship to ship combat in the depths of interstellar space, but your training will serve you just as well on any battlefield.

You are loyal to the Ousters and seek the destruction of all threats to your people.

Yea so I was the Ouster Vig. I sucked at networking, but hey at least it kept me alive. And I never once hit a friendly.

I figured you were the vig when you contacted me. Did you guys ever contact Tiphareth? We seered him as the Ouster seer.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    giltanisgiltanis Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I got promotted to vig after the shrike died. We never got much contact with hegemony members and when I tried to kill someone I thought was ai I killed a hege. That's why when ohtsam kept finding ousters we felt like we had to kill them. Then we got tothe point where I felt like we had almost no chance and I reached out to non etworked hege and ousters to no real effect.

giltanis on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    CorbiusCorbius Shepard Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Seemed like a fun phalla, even though I got bandwagoned on day 2. I desperately want to read these Hyperion books now.

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
    PSN: Corbius
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Smurph wrote: »

I figured you were the vig when you contacted me. Did you guys ever contact Tiphareth? We seered him as the Ouster seer.

No, Alegis and I thought we were the last. I decided to just sheep along instead of continuing to kill Core hoping that it would keep me alive long enough to somehow pull out a win.

Smurph on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Was a fun game even if I got blown to bits early.

My role pm:
    You are The Shrike. Your motives are inscrutable and your blades are sharp. Some mortals worship you as a god, but this is irrelevant. Your only desire is to pursue your bloody goal as you travel backwards through time, slowly filling your Tree of Pain with the living bodies of puny mortals.

In this era, your goal is simple. You must destroy the seven Shrike Pilgrims (Lenar Hoyt, Fedmahn Kassad, Brawne Lamia, Martin Silenus, Sol Weintraub, Het Masteen, and The Consul) before the mortal factions finish their petty squabbling.

Each night you may end the life of one mortal. Further, on odd-numbered nights you may visit one mortal and learn their true identity. Your power is such that you are protected from the first two attacks directed against you on any night.

I wasted one attack on Kime because I had no idea how Kime's role worked. Which was a shame. Other than that, just never hit anyone useful. I am kicking myself because I was going to kill Nocturne on night 2 but figured I should hit someone else. Was just dumb luck. Not a bad thing I died early since I was in Japan and pretty busy but I couldn't resist a phalla based on Hyperion.

Thanks for running it Jason Todd.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Corbius wrote: »
    Seemed like a fun phalla, even though I got bandwagoned on day 2. I desperately want to read these Hyperion books now.

I started doing this about 2 days ago. I had read Hyperion/End of Hyperion years ago, but I was still stunned by how good it was on a second read. About 50 pages into End of Hyperion and will have to pick up the Endymion books too.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    Kin33Kin33 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Good job DeShadowC.

Was kind of boring as a networked core player since DeShadowC had all the contacts and called all the shots without much strategy talk.

Me and spaik contacted each other day 1 and ended up revealing our roles to each other even before he had seered Lucedes.

Kin33 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yeah sorry about hitting Lucedes.

The first 2 days, when I had pretty much 0 useful info to go on yet, my targets were zanmatto and Lucedes.

They were the only 2 people in this game who were also mafia in the CF Persona Phalla :P I figured since I had to kill off some people early on, might as well be people who just got done winning and living to the end of a gigantic game.

Also if I recall correctly, Smurph was my kill target for night 2 until the very last minute, I mean literally :59 according to the PM, when I switched it to Lucedes.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    daniantdaniant Columbus, OhioRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This is amazing, since we didn't even have our vig networked until half-way through. Apparently us AI's are more intelligent that you disgusting meat-bags. :P

daniant on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    daniant wrote: »
    This is amazing, since we didn't even have our vig networked until half-way through. Apparently us AI's are more intelligent that you disgusting meat-bags. :P

And selfish ahahaha.

Though what tipped us off to seer Lucedes was the word "stable" in one of his posts. I wonder, if Lucedes had lived would we have let Raiden333 into the network? He was in Lucede's origional "soft-network".

Kin33 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I also switched to Lucedes because it seemed like he had a weird post restriction or was doing something. This was before I figured out the factions were unnetworked and whatnot. I mean look at these posts:
    Lucedes wrote: »
    I've calculated that kime may or may not be as much of a security threat as he promises. His odds are likely 1/58 of being "The Shrike," but there are many other entities with high threat levels. In addition, evidence suggests that kime has a tendency to overstate his capacity in every game he participates in, a defense mechanism necessitated by his inability to conceal glee at being assigned powerful roles.

However, thorough analysis of his initial post suggests a genuine glee at the assignment of his role, rather than mere bragging. I suggest we destroy kime posthaste.
    I haven't done a thorough analysis of the work(s) in question, but research on wikipedia shows me that my preferred stance on the politics is Stable. This may not be how events function after tonight, however.
    Dear Corbius:

You may consider this a suboptimal move, but it surpasses present alternatives, and holds a place.

If I had noticed that a night or so later I would have realized he was screaming Core and not have hit him.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Honestly, if you were getting beat up and only knew of the Ousters, you were probably better off NOT targeting them. By targeting only them, you made yourselves look like a much jucier opponent which let us bide our time. We knew the Ouster seer for yesterday, but decided to not take them out until Hegemony had been dealt with better.

In a few words [VADER]All too easy[/VADER]

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'm absolutely shocked the ousters didn't try to do something with the hegemony once the core got the #s advantage. But I guess the hegemony kind of dug their own graves targeting ousters and xenogears post.

I'm not sure how well the hegemony or the ousters were networked either.

Kin33 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Lucedes trusted me?

He PMed me saying "I think we're part of the same faction, tell me what you are."

I basically told him to fuck off and talk to kime, and kime would link us up if we were on the same side.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    the only problem I saw was that the win conditions for ouster freemen was really vague.

eliminate all threats doesn't really help when you don't tell anyone what those threats actually are.

also, being a straight up villager in a big faction game like this was pretty boring.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    We were dead before I ever posted a thing, game was a runaway. Faction games are boring as hell for a regular villager.

I was really bored so I picked 2 names at random and also mentioned the most active poster.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Re: You seem like a stable guy.
    Lucedes wrote:
    Kin33 wrote:
    Lucedes wrote:
    Kin33 wrote:
    I'm pretty volatile to tell you the truth. Ultimately I think we might have the same goals.

Are you loyal to your Core?

Yes, I decided to take the risk that you were the same with that little hint you dropped. I was going to drop the same hint but wasn't sure how risky it'd be. It doesn't seem like that many people have read the books though.

Welcome to the soft-network!

Your compatriots are myself, Pi-r8, and possibly Raiden333.

A clarification relevant to our current situation:
    Jason Todd wrote:
    Lucedes wrote:

What is the TechnoCore's agenda regarding the Shrike? The UI? The Hegemony? The Ousters? The Shrike pilgrims?

What does the source material suggest, in case these cannot be clarified? I have not read it.

In the novels, the TechnoCore was attempting the genocide of all humans. Whether or not they are your enemies in this game is for you and your allies to determine.

I believe we're neutrals with a survival-win, caveat: eliminate any direct opposition to your continuation. We're... sort of the village, or one of the villages. I'm not sure which.

He didn't completely trust you but you were on our list of possible people to bring into the network on the probards as well.

Kin33 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Well that certainly would have made things more interesting. :P

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Also, I had a list of people and kept reviewing their post history as I tend to do, and this:
    stormwind wrote: »
    I'm gonna go out on a limb, and disagree with a lot of you. I think this technocore is pretty evil. What with their incredibly red names, and all.

That being said, I don't really know for whom I should vote.

Is what made me avoid killing stormwind for as long as I did. I thought to myself "Now why the hell would a neutral say something that might makes them sound like an enemy to a faction?"

So good job on throwing me off the trail for a while :P

Edit: Although I guess I don't know what the win condition of a lot of the other pilgrims actually was. I'm still curious about a few role PMs.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    TipharethTiphareth Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Me and Oats were fucking up core and hegemonies right and left until you bastards killed him. I never managed to seer another ouster.

Tiphareth on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ohhh you were Oats's seer buddy. Makes sense now, but I had no idea how many seers there were so I never put that together.

It also makes me contacting you towards the end kinda funny. Still, I was paranoid about getting vigged when I was so close to victory :P

Nocturne on
  • Options
    giltanisgiltanis Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Next time I play a faction game I am certainly am going to get on the soft network action faster. Plus it would have really helped if any of the Hege in the game came forward through any of the various ways to get in contact with us.

Also, apparently I should have threaten Kime once I figured out his victory condition <rofl>

giltanis on
    sig.gif