As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

looking for a great new PSP game and being indesicive

DarkSymphonyDarkSymphony Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
basically I wanna get something over DD/PSN for my PSP and can't decide on what i want. The following look interesting though:

After burner black falcon
motorstorm arctic edge
killzone liberation
syphon filter Dark mirror
RE2 PS1/PSP

but really, what are some good recommendations? The warriors looks cool and I played and liked the PS2 one.

basically I'm kinda looking for something deep and really entertaining that I haven't played before, but with there being a good number of decent choices I'm kinda stuck. I mean I could just buy 2 or 3, but I'm saving money at the moment. Haven't bought a game in a while and figured something around the $20 range would do me good.

If Monster hunter freedom unite was $20 i'd get that, but $30 is a bit too steep for my budget.

I played and beat god of war, so that's out. I have heard awful things on the DD versions of GTA vice and liberty, otherwise I'd probably get Vice. castlevania dracula X chronicles is good, but I beat it so i'd like something new.

I'm not terribly interested in the smaller games right now like Super Stardust and games like that as I have a couple already (Everyday shooter is fucking awesome) so I'd like something deeper that will have great lasting value.

So, what are some good $20 choices for what's up on the PSN currently?

edit: ummm the board fucked up it seems and didn't post it right the first time. Sorry if there's a double new-post.

DarkSymphony on

• toolberttoolbert Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Pixel Junk Monsters Encore. That game will keep you busy for a while. Plus, it's great in small doses as well!

toolbert on
  • DarkSymphonyDarkSymphony Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    yeah i was thinking about that too, but I dunno how i feel about the whole tower defense genre. it's fun and all, but I played the Crystal Defenders demo and wasn't terribly impressed.

DarkSymphony on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Crystal Defenders is terrible. And that's coming from a man who LOVES Tower Defense games. PJME is amazing and absolutely worth the money, you won't be disappointed.

urahonky on
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I know you said 30$ was too steep for Monster Hunter but seriously it's well worth it, I've got well over 300 hours on that game, I don't think I've bought another PSP game since it was released.

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I still say Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror is one of the finest PSP games available, even now, and above its sequel. It's a fantastic game. I wrote the eToychest review for it when it came out and gave it a 99/100, and we awarded it PSP game of the year, and even though I/we got a lot of flak for that, I still stand by that assessment. I think it's great.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    edited April 2010
    yeah syphon filter actually does seem like it'd be something i want.
    I dunno, i want something with a lot of meat to it and any of the tower defense games, allbeit no matter how good they are, just aren't the genre I'm looking for. I've been looking for something with a lot of gameplay depth or at least gameplay variety. I love racing games, action games, good FPS's, adventure, pretty much anything really as long as it's good.

DarkSymphony on
  • corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Killzone Liberation is on sale or something for $10? The PSN store isn't very clear on that, and there was a bigass "SPRING FEVER 2010: KILLZONE WEEK" thing on the PSN front page, so :? ?

I'd recommend against Munster Hunter until you've tried it a bit. It seems like it's love it or hate it, and the ones who love it seem to have friends that play it with them.

The Red Star ($15) is a pretty awesome mix of a beat-em-up and a SHMUP if that's your thing.

corky842 on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Patapon 2 and Loco Roco 2 were just dropped to $8 on PSN...

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2010
    oh I liked MHF2. I love those kinds of games with the heavy customization/gear upgrades and whatnot I just couldn't get over the god awful controls and horrendous way you manipulate the camera. It's a great game that's severely marred by controls. I'd enjoy it if I could actually play it correctly without having to cramp my hands in an unbelievable way.

in any case, Red Star was good when i had it on PS2, but I dunno something about it didn't seem quite right. It seemed a little easy for a shooter of that type and I couldn't quite place why everyone loved it so much. It's not bad by any means, but the greatness people say it is? like I said, I couldn't figure that one out. And I love shooters too....so maybe I just didn't give it enough of a chance.

Killzone Liberation is 10 bucks yes, but i wonder if it's any good. Anyone here play it much?

DarkSymphony on
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The controls in Monster Hunter aren't godawful. They work fine, and they are incredibly precise (with the exception of the down/up camera, which is not needed for 90% of the fights anyway), without giving any CPU help to the player.

I've played for a couple years without ever resorting to the Monster Hunter crab claw. Just tap the L button a lot, and learn to anticipate the monster's moves rather than trying to rely on twitch reflexes and continuous camera control. You just need more experience, that's all. If you are cramping your hand because you think you need to, then conform your hand into a more relaxing position and learn to play it the comfortable way (i.e. without the crab claw)... trust me, this works better. Some folks are used to the crab claw, and that's fine for them.

If you like gear-collecting and a lot of content, but you still have the same low opinion of Monster Hunter, try Phantasy Star Portable. At least in Phantasy Star Portable, if you aren't good at the game, you can just grind out levels in the story mode, and that game has a TON of gear and customization.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
    edited April 2010
    like I said, Monster Hunter is a great game, but I just prefer the way games like that play using a full fledged controller. I.E demon's souls. Not entirely the same game, but the similarities make me group it in the same genre. In any case, it's a great game but I HATE the controls, even if they do work fine.

I can't stand the lack of a lock-on, can't stand the way the camera is used. I just don't enjoy *playing* the game even though I would if it were actually easier to play without losing its difficulty.

and people who say that if the game were to have lock on and better camera usage would dimish all the difficulty....that's not true, they could create the game around it. There have been difficult games with lock on before, Monster Hunter would not be the odd one out.

I'll give it another shot and if MHFU was $20 I'd give it a go now, but as it is, $30 for something I already know irritates me is a bit much.

That's actually a great way of saying it. I enjoy the games alot, they just irritate me.

DarkSymphony on
    edited April 2010
    and people who say that if the game were to have lock on and better camera usage would dimish all the difficulty....that's not true, they could create the game around it. There have been difficult games with lock on before, Monster Hunter would not be the odd one out.
    Pretty much 5 or 6 million Japanese people disagree with you, which is fine. They have a moon-culture and a moon-language and such. I also disagree with your notion of so-called "lock-on" being necessary. If you really need something that precise, use a bowgun or bow... there are entire weapon categories devoted to that style of play.

It's not about diminishing the difficulty. It's about the necessity of not ruining a control scheme that fits the style of play you are supposed to be using, because Monster Hunter is not like other games. If you solo'ed your way through the Diablos or Akantor fights, it would be pretty evident that a lock-on would get you killed at worst, and prevent you from getting proper hit locations at best. But that is neither here nor there... the PS2 and Wii Monster Hunters do not have lock-on, but they have proper camera controls on a right analog stick, so that works well for most people. Hell, there are people playing Monster Hunter on PC (and soon X-Box 360) in the form of Monster Hunter Frontier without lock on, either, and they are using frickin' mouse and keyboard to play the game.

Anyway, give Phantasy Star Portable a shot... I forget if it has lock-on, but the melee weapons sweep so widely that it doesn't really matter. I'll dig around and see if I can find some more cheap depth-filled games. I really liked the Dungeon Siege game on PSP, and that was probably the best Diablo clone on the system.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
    edited April 2010
    actually yeah, a lock on isn't necessary so much as I could never find a proper way to control the game. Like, i'd be fighting some big monster thing and get swiped by something off screen, wait for the painfully long animation for me to get back to my feet, hope that his attack doesn't nail me when I'm still unable to move, then hope that my long animation attack hits him and pray to god it stuns him.

don't get me wrong, I enjoyed MHF2 a lot. I had it for a good while and if Unite was 20 I'd just get that now, but every time I played F2 I just got really annoyed. I know that it's a steep learning curve and I am willing to bet I'd enjoy it a lot more once I got the hang of things, but really I'm looking for something new that I haven't played.

20 bucks is my top because the rest of my money is going towards school and moving into a new place.

monster hunter is great, it annoys me, and I would like a different game.

DarkSymphony on
    edited April 2010
    Patapon 2 is available RIGHT NOW on sale for 8 bucks, which is a pretty sweet deal. Most reviews say that it's just more of the same from Patapon original, but since it's about half the price of the original at the moment, it looks like a good deal. I had a lot of fun with the series.

I didn't have that much fun with Syphon Filter. Other games do what it does better.

I can't recommend Motorstorm that much, unless you really like the franchise. I like Motorstorm on the PS3, but I found the PSP version hard to deal with.

If you liked the Warriors, you might like Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble, which is pretty much an over-the-top Japanese version of that game. However, I can't find it for less than 30 bucks so far.

Disgaea 1 has oodles of depth and it's 15 bucks right now. Disgaea 2 is better, but it's 30 bucks, and out of your price range. Darn.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
    edited April 2010
    hmmmm! you've done some looking up, so thank you :) yeah I'm looking into those right now, checking out some vids and reviews and such.

DarkSymphony on
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Killzone Liberation is 10 bucks yes, but i wonder if it's any good. Anyone here play it much?

It's pretty awesome, especially if you've played through the other Killzone games.

Instead of trying to hamfist a FPS onto the PSP, they made it into an isometric action game. It's a lot of fun, and there is a whole chapter you can download for free.

Seriously though, get Phantasy Star Portable. Just get it.

SmokeStacks on
  • DrswordsDrswords Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Fat Princess: Fistful of Cake is coming out on PSP soon ( already out in some countries ) . If you have decent access to wifi etc... and dont own it on PS3.

Drswords on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2010
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    I didn't have that much fun with Syphon Filter. Other games do what it does better.

I'd like to know which games you are referring to. Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror is pretty much the exact perfect way to make a PSP shooter.

Drez on
    edited April 2010
    motherfucker, I was all pumped up to get Phantasy Star PSP but it's not on the network. god damn it haha. I am just sick of getting UMD's and would like to have a few games on mem-stick so I can just fire up a game without having to lug around cases or UMD's. I have an old school PSP 1000 (I kinda want a go if you could even fathom anyone actually wanting one and yes I realize the problems it has inherantly).

I actually got a chance to try Monster hunter freedom Unite today and yeah, it's still fun but god does it need a second analog stick. I am WELL aware that there are tons of people who disagree, but I'm allowed my opinion. I'd have a lot more fun with it if I could just rotate the camera in a much more easy way. I'm not a big fan of relying on a button press to center it, because then I'm pressing it all the time, literally every couple seconds that I can make sure I never get hit by something I don't see. If there was a second analog stick on the PSP I'd have easily picked up MHFU today.

hopefully Phantasy Star gets put up at some point though. I'd like to get it.

DarkSymphony on
    edited April 2010
    Don't worry, I'm right with you on that boat DarkSymphony. I got it from gamefly for about 2 days and sent it back. Lack of a second analog stick really killed it for me.

urahonky on
    edited April 2010
    I would vote against Fat Princess: Fistful of Cake if you are looking for a game with a lot of gameplay and depth. It's a decent clone of the PS3 version, but it doesn't have that much gameplay in it.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
    edited April 2010
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    I would vote against Fat Princess: Fistful of Cake if you are looking for a game with a lot of gameplay and depth. It's a decent clone of the PS3 version, but it doesn't have that much gameplay in it.

Yeah. I own it on the PS3 and it's not even that good on it.

urahonky on
    edited April 2010
    yeah I have fat princess PS3. I really like it. I dunno what you guys are talking about haha, I think it's great. However it's definitely not the kind of game I'm looking for on PSP.

I'm kinda looking for what you would see as a console release, something with a lot of content, maybe even replayability and all that. Story or progression of some kind.

Monster hunter is a fantastic example, i just don't wanna spend that much on it and the lack of a second analog stick is torture. Syphon filter seems great, so I might get that. The Warriors also seems really good as does Red Star.

I just see 1-4 games I want and can't decide on any of them, so I was looking to see if there were other suggestions for games that maybe I haven't played.

DarkSymphony on
  • MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Metal Gear Acid 2 has been a winner for me.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
    edited April 2010
    MrVyngaard wrote: »
    Metal Gear Acid 2 has been a winner for me.

Yeah Metal Gear Ac!d and Ac!d 2 are great.

Drez on
    edited April 2010
    Honestly you're probably looking for a game like Disgaea 3. Or maybe Final Fantasy Tactics. Those a two good portable game.

urahonky on
    edited April 2010
    hmmm I forgot Tactics was up as a PS1 download. thanks :D I'll probably get that.

DarkSymphony on