As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] [Chat] Ghost donkey earns $2 million in four hours

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well, That makes the choice of my offspec a little more solid.

I dont want two healers so I was hoping to keep my shaman my healer and that boomkin would become interesting enough to make it an offspec. Seems golden now.

But the new skills seem the most boring of all the classes. AOE bleed for tanking lol? Aoe movement speed burst? Nothing terribly exciting.

Also seems to be the first class without a new skill that really screams PVP to me. Mushrooms I guess? The idea of placing mines does seem a little interesting I guess but I dunno, they make it seem like it might be a pretty big source of damage but with no CD and manually activatable I cant see it being that big.

The new base eclipse seems.... I dunno. Its better than before and alleviates the movement kill the bonus deal, but at the same time it doesn't seem as exciting.

Also while I dont have to deal with it now, the lack of any kind of low level help is baffling. Im pretty sure druids needed something to help leveling early on MUCH MUCH more than shaman and hunters did. Christ I didn't even find hunters that difficult, but I cant even count the number of druids I made that never reached 20...

Kai_San on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Druids are already kinda fine just with the existing low-level mana changes they put in for 3.3.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So lazorchickens are WAR shamans.

Gotcha.

Oats on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2010
    You don't see how a group speed increase screams PvP?

Did you stop PvPing?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    so no change to having to be a fat lazerchicken, at least resto doesn't always have to look like an ugly ugly tree now.

since feral has to remain one tree i wonder how it will be determined if your mastery will go towards cat or bear.

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    since feral has to remain one tree i wonder how it will be determined if your mastery will go towards cat or bear.
    It states that it will go with what your current form is.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    oh sorry i overlooked that. That's pretty cool then you can still multipurpose in that tree.

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Well, That makes the choice of my offspec a little more solid.

I dont want two healers so I was hoping to keep my shaman my healer and that boomkin would become interesting enough to make it an offspec. Seems golden now.

But the new skills seem the most boring of all the classes. AOE bleed for tanking lol? Aoe movement speed burst? Nothing terribly exciting.

Also seems to be the first class without a new skill that really screams PVP to me. Mushrooms I guess? The idea of placing mines does seem a little interesting I guess but I dunno, they make it seem like it might be a pretty big source of damage but with no CD and manually activatable I cant see it being that big.

The new base eclipse seems.... I dunno. Its better than before and alleviates the movement kill the bonus deal, but at the same time it doesn't seem as exciting.

Also while I dont have to deal with it now, the lack of any kind of low level help is baffling. Im pretty sure druids needed something to help leveling early on MUCH MUCH more than shaman and hunters did. Christ I didn't even find hunters that difficult, but I cant even count the number of druids I made that never reached 20...

Honestly? You think the current eclipse sounds like more fun than the upcoming version?

Honestly?

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Druid preview is disappointing for Resto. I was hoping for a much stronger return to classic and early TBC Resto, which spent only about half the time actually healing. The rest was spent shifting back and forth between bear, cat, and caster to lock down enemy targets so that the HOTs alone were enough healing. That swift shapeshifting, to me, was the druid class. This nourish/HOT-spamming class that Resto is now doesn't feel anywhere near as versatile and reactive as what I used to be able to do.

edit: I'm referring only to PvP. It was never like that in PvE, of course (except maybe Magisters's Terrace). Resto Druids in PvE have continued to improve, and Nourish was a welcome addition there. They seem to be in a good position in PvE now, which explains why they're not getting anything new.

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm pretty sure making ToL form a cooldown is an attempt to move back to that style of druid play.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I enjoyed that style as well, I wonder if they'll leave Feral Charge low enough in the tree to be grabbed again.

Opty on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That's what I used to do when pvping. Shapeshifting of any kind was never utilized when doing any kind of pve healing.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I just ordered an authenticator, and I'm trying to figure out how in god's name it works? As far as I can tell, there's no connection between it and the computer, so how does WoW know what code popped up on the authenticator?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    simple explanation: your authenticator has a pre-set series of keys and when you link your account to the authenticator you enter in the code that they know your authenticator is displaying. like, say you have authenticators A, B, and C, and each one will display 1, 2, and 3 and then begin counting up at intervals. well, if you link your account with authenticator B, they already know that it will display the number 4 after two intervals.

that's the very oversimplified version

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Druid changes are kinda underwhelming. Moonkin sounds more fun though.

shryke on
  • Options
    mfc144mfc144 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    simple explanation: your authenticator has a pre-set series of keys and when you link your account to the authenticator you enter in the code that they know your authenticator is displaying. like, say you have authenticators A, B, and C, and each one will display 1, 2, and 3 and then begin counting up at intervals. well, if you link your account with authenticator B, they already know that it will display the number 4 after two intervals.

that's the very oversimplified version

no offense, but that's a terrible explanation, even oversimplified.

the authenticator has a unique key associated with it, and an internal clock.
    blizzard knows the authenticator key associated with your account and your authenticator, they also have a clock.

when you log in, you press the button and get a code which is your unique key and the current time meshed together in some super secret way. Blizzards server does the same thing. You enter it on the wow screen and if it matches what blizzard has, then you're in.

Usually the code is only good for about 1 minute.

mfc144 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I really didn't expect so many people to squawk over the silly tree form change. The official forums are so silly.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I really didn't expect so many people to squawk over the silly tree form change. The official forums are so silly.

Personally, I'd like them to make moonkin form into a cooldown as well. It's nice and such in the beginning, but having to stare at that damn level 10 mob every time you want to do anything gets tiring.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The problem with Moonkin Form is that it's a balancing thing. You have to be vulnerable if you want to heal.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    IT'S MAGE TIME Y'ALL
    New Mage Spells

Flame Orb (available at level 81): Inspired by Prince Taldaram’s abilities in Ahn'kahet and Icecrown Citadel, this spell allows the mage to cast a flaming orb that travels in front in a straight line, sending beams that cause fire damage to passing targets. Once it’s cast, the mage is free to begin casting other spells as the Flame Orb travels. While the spell will be useful to any spec, Fire mages will have talents that improve it, possibly causing the Flame Orb to explode when it reaches its destination.

Time Warp (level 83): Grants a passive Haste effect much like Bloodlust or Heroism to party or raid members. It also temporarily increases the mage's own movement speed. Time Warp will be exclusive with Bloodlust and Heroism, meaning you can’t benefit from both if you’ve got the Exhaustion debuff, though the movement-speed increase will still work even when under the effects of Exhaustion.

Wall of Fog (level 85): Creates a line of frost in front of the mage, 30 yards from end to end. Enemies who cross the line are snared and take damage. The mana cost will be designed to make Wall of Fog efficient against groups, not individuals. This spell is intended to give mages a way to help control the battlefield, whether the mage is damaging incoming enemies (Blizzard can be channeled on top of Wall of Fog) or protecting a flag in a Battleground. 10-second duration. 30-second cooldown.

Changes to Abilities and Mechanics

In addition to introducing new spells, we're planning to make changes to some of the other abilities and mechanics you're familiar with. This list and the summary of talent changes below it are by no means comprehensive, but they should give you a good sense of what we intend for each spec.

Arcane Missiles is being redesigned to become a proc-based spell. Whenever the mage does damage with any spell, there is a chance for Arcane Missiles to become available, similar to how the warrior’s Overpower works. The damage and mana cost of this spell will be reworked to make it very desirable to use when available. This change should make gameplay more dynamic for the mage, particularly at low levels.
    We are planning to remove spells that don't have a clear purpose. Amplify Magic, Dampen Magic, Fire Ward, and Frost Ward are being removed from the game, and we may remove more.
    The ability to conjure food and water will not become available until higher levels (likely around level 40), as we're making changes to ensure mages generally won’t run out of mana at lower levels. Once mages learn how to conjure food and water, the conjured item will restore both health and mana.
    Scorch will provide a damage bonus to the mage's fire spells. Our goal is for Scorch to be part of the mage's rotation and a useful damage-dealing ability, even if someone else is supplying the group with the spell Critical Strike debuff. Scorch will provide the mage with more specific benefits, which can also be improved through talents.

New Talents and Talent Changes

Arcane Focus will now return mana for each spell that fails to hit your target, including Arcane Missiles that fail to launch. We want Arcane mages to have several talents that play off of how much mana the character has and give the player enough tools to manage mana.
    The talent Playing with Fire will reduce the cooldown of Blast Wave when hit by a melee attack, instead of its current effect.
    Pyromaniac will grant Haste when three or more targets are getting damaged by the effects of your damage-over-time (DoT) fire spells.
    The Burnout talent will allow mages to cast spells using health when they run out of mana.

Mastery Passive Talent Tree Bonuses

Arcane
    Spell damage
    Spell Haste
    Mana Adept

Mana Adept: Arcane will deal damage based how much mana the mage has. For example, Arcane mages will do much more damage at 100% mana than at 50% mana. If they begin to get low on mana, they will likely want to use an ability or mechanic to bring their mana up to increase their damage.

Fire
    Spell damage
    Spell Crit
    Ignite

Ignite: All direct-damage fire spells will add a damage-over-time (DoT) component when cast. The flavor will be similar to how Fireball works; however, the DoT component will be much stronger.

Frost
    Spell damage
    Spell Crit damage
    Deathfrost

Deathfrost: Casting Frostbolt places a buff on the mage that increases the damage for all frost, fire, and arcane spells. The only damage spell that won't be affected by this buff is Frostbolt.

We hope you enjoyed this preview, and we’re looking forward to hearing your initial thoughts and feedback on these additions and changes. Please keep in mind that this information represents a work in progress and is subject to change as development on Cataclysm continues.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Mages get Bloodlust.
    In World of Warcraft: Cataclysm, we’ll be making lots of changes and additions to class talents and abilities across the board. In this preview, you’ll get an early look at what's in store for the mage class, including a rundown of some of the new spells, abilities, and talents, and an overview of how the new Mastery system will work with the different talent specs.

New Mage Spells

Flame Orb (available at level 81): Inspired by Prince Taldaram’s abilities in Ahn'kahet and Icecrown Citadel, this spell allows the mage to cast a flaming orb that travels in front in a straight line, sending beams that cause fire damage to passing targets. Once it’s cast, the mage is free to begin casting other spells as the Flame Orb travels. While the spell will be useful to any spec, Fire mages will have talents that improve it, possibly causing the Flame Orb to explode when it reaches its destination.

Time Warp (level 83): Grants a passive Haste effect much like Bloodlust or Heroism to party or raid members. It also temporarily increases the mage's own movement speed. Time Warp will be exclusive with Bloodlust and Heroism, meaning you can’t benefit from both if you’ve got the Exhaustion debuff, though the movement-speed increase will still work even when under the effects of Exhaustion.

Wall of Fog (level 85): Creates a line of frost in front of the mage, 30 yards from end to end. Enemies who cross the line are snared and take damage. The mana cost will be designed to make Wall of Fog efficient against groups, not individuals. This spell is intended to give mages a way to help control the battlefield, whether the mage is damaging incoming enemies (Blizzard can be channeled on top of Wall of Fog) or protecting a flag in a Battleground. 10-second duration. 30-second cooldown.

Changes to Abilities and Mechanics

In addition to introducing new spells, we're planning to make changes to some of the other abilities and mechanics you're familiar with. This list and the summary of talent changes below it are by no means comprehensive, but they should give you a good sense of what we intend for each spec.

* Arcane Missiles is being redesigned to become a proc-based spell. Whenever the mage does damage with any spell, there is a chance for Arcane Missiles to become available, similar to how the warrior’s Overpower works. The damage and mana cost of this spell will be reworked to make it very desirable to use when available. This change should make gameplay more dynamic for the mage, particularly at low levels.

* We are planning to remove spells that don't have a clear purpose. Amplify Magic, Dampen Magic, Fire Ward, and Frost Ward are being removed from the game, and we may remove more.

* The ability to conjure food and water will not become available until higher levels (likely around level 40), as we're making changes to ensure mages generally won’t run out of mana at lower levels. Once mages learn how to conjure food and water, the conjured item will restore both health and mana.

* Scorch will provide a damage bonus to the mage's fire spells. Our goal is for Scorch to be part of the mage's rotation and a useful damage-dealing ability, even if someone else is supplying the group with the spell Critical Strike debuff. Scorch will provide the mage with more specific benefits, which can also be improved through talents.

New Talents and Talent Changes

* Arcane Focus will now return mana for each spell that fails to hit your target, including Arcane Missiles that fail to launch. We want Arcane mages to have several talents that play off of how much mana the character has and give the player enough tools to manage mana.

* The talent Playing with Fire will reduce the cooldown of Blast Wave when hit by a melee attack, instead of its current effect.

* Pyromaniac will grant Haste when three or more targets are getting damaged by the effects of your damage-over-time (DoT) fire spells.

* The Burnout talent will allow mages to cast spells using health when they run out of mana.

Mastery Passive Talent Tree Bonuses

Arcane
    Spell damage
    Spell Haste
    Mana Adept

Fire
    Spell damage
    Spell Crit
    Ignite

Frost
    Spell damage
    Spell Crit damage
    Deathfrost

Mana Adept: Arcane will deal damage based how much mana the mage has. For example, Arcane mages will do much more damage at 100% mana than at 50% mana. If they begin to get low on mana, they will likely want to use an ability or mechanic to bring their mana up to increase their damage.

Ignite: All direct-damage fire spells will add a damage-over-time (DoT) component when cast. The flavor will be similar to how Fireball works; however, the DoT component will be much stronger.

Deathfrost: Casting Frostbolt places a buff on the mage that increases the damage for all frost, fire, and arcane spells. The only damage spell that won't be affected by this buff is Frostbolt.

We hope you enjoyed this preview, and we’re looking forward to hearing your initial thoughts and feedback on these additions and changes. Please keep in mind that this information represents a work in progress and is subject to change as development on Cataclysm continues.

EDIT: Well played, Rorus. Well played.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The more masteries I see of other classes, the more disappointed I am with the warlock ones.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So, Mages get improved Bloodlust?

I'm sure that'll go over well with the Shaman community.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    It's like they want nothing but PMR in Arena.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    W2W2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    It's like they want nothing but PMR in Arena.

I must have missed the boat on this acronym, but is that P for Priest or P for Paladin?

(I don't arena.)

W2 on
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Priest, Mage, Rogue

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    It's one of the more potent comps in 3s. I'd say the best but I've been out of PvP for a good season now. They do absolutely nothing to stop it from gaining more synergy so I have no idea what will stop it from dominating in Season 9. I know we're still far out from that, but this is a comp that has been at least good since Season 1.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Someone, somewhere is already working on a Rocky Horror styled Time Warp addon, I can feel it.

edit: pretty boring mage changes apart from the new frost spell

815165 on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    They've got a pretty big hardon for their new LoS-anywhere tech. That's like the third class to get something using it.

Opty on
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    I doubt wall of fog will stay in as it is currently described.

Munkus Beaver on
    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Opty wrote: »
    They've got a pretty big hardon for their new LoS-anywhere tech. That's like the third class to get something using it.

Sounds to me like some designer's pet project that is getting thrown up against a bunch of class "walls" and seeing if it sticks with any.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wall of Fog doesn't mention an LOS break.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Does the wall spell shoot out from where the mage is standing, or is it a targeted line horizontal from the mage's view? Hopefully the latter because the former would make it a bitch to lay out.

Arcane damage being based on how much mana you have left is REALLY WEIRD.

Henroid on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, Wall of Fog is more like a spike strip than a wall. You can get over it, but it's gonna hurt and you're not gonna move very fast afterwards.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It'll be a fun spell in battlegrounds, that's for damn sure.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I think the spell would be better named Black Ice or something actually relevant to its effect.

EvilBadman on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    I think the spell would be better named Black Ice or something actually relevant to its effect.
    The name isn't very frosty.

815165 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    815165 wrote: »
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    The name isn't very frosty.

Wall of Fog or the one I suggested?

EvilBadman on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Wall of fog.

815165 on
This discussion has been closed.