As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW]Warlocks - Patch 3.1: Fun removed, Angst now a base ability

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    As long as all three trees are pretty viable and stay that way for a while I'll be happy. Despite all the doom and gloom locks are in a pretty decent place atm I think as far as pve goes. Of course EJ is going to come along and ruin it all with math eventually.

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    Elessar ElfstoneElessar Elfstone Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Fellow affliction Warlocks, what do you guys use for rotation or cast order nowadays? I feel my DPS is lacking lately, and my gear has only been getting better. Here's what I've been doing:

Sbolt - Haunt - UA - CoA - Corruption - Sbolt. At this point, its Sbolt spam until 4t10 procs. When Devious Minds pops, I wipe Corruption with Seed, activate NMIC and recast Corruption. Then its the basic of trying to keep Corruption rolling with all your dots refreshed. If Corr is still rolling at 35%, I won't wipe it and reapply for Death's Embrace.

Any suggestions? I feel like I'm doing something wrong because my numbers are coming out low.

Elessar Elfstone on
    Tobias: Or it could be your colon. I'd want to get in there and find some answers.

Forsake, Warlock of Stonemaul
  • Options
    AfroJAfroJ Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You want to get corruption up as soon as possible. I normally do haunt->corruption->1 or 2 sbolts->UA->CoA->sbolt spam, repeat. And, of course, drain soul at <25% and make sure you keep refreshing corruption and the shadow mastery debuff.

AfroJ on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Why would you do corruption before shadowbolt? Did they finally do away with the rolling crit?

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    ZafinaZafina Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I assume since you're going to be recasting corruption once 4pT10 procs there is no point waiting for crit modifiers to stack.

Zafina on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    And how long is it before you see a proc?

Or am I just really unlucky.

End on
  • Options
    GreenPowerRangerGreenPowerRanger Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I do: SB > SB > Haunt > UA > Corruption > Curse > Sbolt Spam etc..

it really doesnt matter what your opener is though to be honest, the difference it would make, if indeed there is any difference, is tiny. What makes good Afflic dps is keeping your dots up and rolling.

GreenPowerRanger on
  • Options
    AfroJAfroJ Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    End wrote: »
    Why would you do corruption before shadowbolt? Did they finally do away with the rolling crit?

I like to start the DoT train asap.

The rolling crit is still in place but a 5% crit increase at the start of the fight isn't much. Especially when you'll have to refresh when 4t10 procs or when you use NMIC.

AfroJ on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Alrighty, thanks for the dicussion folks. I figured my rotation was fine, I think I just need to work on keeping my DOT uptime better and rolling more consistent. I downloaded ForteXorcist and ShadowGreenLight to try and help me out with that. Been doing some practice in Orgrimmar on the Heroic Dummy and I seem to average around 5.3kdps self-buffed.

Another thing I tried out was this macro about the Felhunter's ShadowBite ability from EJ:

/cast Shadow Bolt(Rank 13)
    /cast [@pettarget] Shadow Bite(Rank 5)

I guess the pet doesn't cast SBite as often as it should on autocast, so using this macro will help it cast more frequently. I tried one session with the macro and one without and the only difference was a 27dps gain with the macro, so basically negligible. All it seemed to do was give me the "ability not ready" voice and annoy the shit outta me, heh.

Elessar Elfstone on
    Tobias: Or it could be your colon. I'd want to get in there and find some answers.

• Options
    edited April 2010
    ShadowGreenLight

I like this AddOn a lot.

End on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    AfroJ wrote: »
    End wrote: »

I like to start the DoT train asap.

The rolling crit is still in place but a 5% crit increase at the start of the fight isn't much. Especially when you'll have to refresh when 4t10 procs or when you use NMIC.

Are we sure that the 4pct10 rolls too? Because I swear they changed it so only crit rolls over when you refresh via haunt/drain soul.

Edit - ooooooh % damage carries - but not spellpower.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Glad I rerolled from a druid to a warlock, the feral tree sounds it's going to be fucked over again over the split. Only the shaman changes sound cooler than what locks are getting (possibly).

Jutranjo on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Jutranjo wrote: »
    Glad I rerolled from a druid to a warlock, the feral tree sounds it's going to be fucked over again over the split. Only the shaman changes sound cooler than what locks are getting (possibly).

Smoke bomb and camo look neat too. I wonder if lifegrip works on MC'd targets... Still sticking with warlock though.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't believe there's any actual tangible benefit to macroing the felhunter and felguard's abilities to your spells. Shadow Bite and Cleave are both instant attacks with cooldowns, and the only reason they wouldn't use it off cooldown is if they don't have enough mana.

The situations where you gain an advantage in macroing pet abilities are when your pet is a caster, or when your pet uses focus. Caster pets don't use the spell queue, and by macroing their abilities you can force them to do so, getting more casts. Focus pets don't spam their abilities if they have the focus for it, rather choosing to be above a certain threshold of focus first.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    X Equals LoserX Equals Loser Wilford Brimley Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    LockeCole wrote: »
    Jutranjo wrote: »

Smoke bomb and camo look neat too. I wonder if lifegrip works on MC'd targets... Still sticking with warlock though.

I wondered that too. Probably not, since you can death grip MC'd targets. I could also see bad healers use it on the MC'd ret paladin and get divine storm'd in the face almost instantly thereafter.

X Equals Loser on
    xequalsloser.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't believe there's any actual tangible benefit to macroing the felhunter and felguard's abilities to your spells. Shadow Bite and Cleave are both instant attacks with cooldowns, and the only reason they wouldn't use it off cooldown is if they don't have enough mana.

If the poster above only saw a 27 dps increase...well...I'm pretty sure that's not significant, and that includes significant in the statistical sense. So yeah, it doesn't seem tangible at all.

I'd expect the number of crits from sample to sample would vary dps by more than that. :P

End on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Was it already mentioned that they're going to make it so that Infernal and Doomguard will be turned into cooldowns that you can have out in addition to your regular pet?

In case it wasn't, yeah.

I'm just gonna blast bitches with that Infernal stun every time it's up. Just because.

Also, they're going to downsize the soul bag bag from 32 slotter. Makes sense, that'd be quite a big bag.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    reVerse wrote: »
    Was it already mentioned that they're going to make it so that Infernal and Doomguard will be turned into cooldowns that you can have out in addition to your regular pet?

In case it wasn't, yeah.

I'm just gonna blast bitches with that Infernal stun every time it's up. Just because.

Also, they're going to downsize the soul bag bag from 32 slotter. Makes sense, that'd be quite a big bag.

I look for any excuse to use the infernal. Did a HoR recently, on the last part the tank yelled out "POP COOLDOWNS LOL" and I dropped it

Beezel on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

In case it wasn't, yeah.

They confirmed that bit? I know they talked about the infernal being turned into a CD (which is awesome, and needs to happen now) but I thought they were going to keep the DG the sameish.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    LockeCole wrote: »

In case it wasn't, yeah.

They confirmed that bit? I know they talked about the infernal being turned into a CD (which is awesome, and needs to happen now) but I thought they were going to keep the DG the sameish.

It was a blue in the Cata-Warlock thread who said that they'll be cooldown pets similar to Shaman totems.

reVerse on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I wonder when they said we might get a new daemon does this mean everyone gets the fel guard?

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Why do you call it a daemon?

It's demon.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/class-warlock/warlock-cataclysm-preview-compilation/ Nowhere does a blue poster call it a daemon.

GreenPowerRanger on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Blizzard used to call them daemons, back in Warcraft II/Warcraft I.

I don't think they've ever called them that since, though.

End on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I wonder when they said we might get a new daemon does this mean everyone gets the fel guard?

No, because that wouldn't be a new demon.

Jesus, Brain.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

It's demon.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/class-warlock/warlock-cataclysm-preview-compilation/ Nowhere does a blue poster call it a daemon.

Colour and armour are spelled with a U

Brainleech on
  • Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

It's demon.

So it should be deumon? Or is it demoun?

Grape Ape on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

It's demon.

So you're saying they're illiterate?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=define%3Ademon
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/demon?&qsrc=

GreenPowerRanger on
  • Options
    GnutsonGnutson Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think he's saying that sometimes there is other ways to spell things.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/daemon

Please note entry #2

Gnutson on
    Erai - Operative <--Imperial Double Agent--> Sniper - Eari
    SW:Tor - Tao - Kryatt Dragon Server
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Anyway other than this asinine discussion, when they said they weren't certain about whether we would get one, they were talking about how they didn't really know what niche for it to fill, particularly when some demons (such as the VW and Succy) weren't filling their intended niches now. Given that the felguard does fill a niche, it's pretty unlikely they were talking about him.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I think Archaeology would be great for daemons as we would be digging up the war of the ancients
    I know they would have to add items so them so can customize them like a hunter does thier pet with talents
    This would help people use the imp the way they want instead of a generic way being a mana battery or fireball machine gun

Brainleech on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Anyway other than this asinine discussion, when they said they weren't certain about whether we would get one, they were talking about how they didn't really know what niche for it to fill, particularly when some demons (such as the VW and Succy) weren't filling their intended niches now. Given that the felguard does fill a niche, it's pretty unlikely they were talking about him.

We've already got more demons then we need anyway.

There's 5 of them and only 3 trees. Voidwalker gets a pass for being the tank/defensive pet, but that still leaves Succubus as the useless one. They seem to be trying to turn it into a CC pet, which I suppose could be cool.

But what the hell would another Demon do? What niche would it fill?

Of course, some sort of item to give the demons new skins would be awesome.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I think the only niche really left is "healer", and I don't think a healer demon would be a good idea.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I stopped playing shortly before the release of ICC and want to play a bit again, what are the hip new things about locks since then?

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I think the only niche really left is "healer", and I don't think a healer demon would be a good idea.

Perhaps there could be a demon that doesn't actually do damage itself, but grants bonuses or a new ability to Warlocks for a short period of time? We don't really have any cooldowns to use for burst phases (although the change to Inferal will change that thank god) so that could fill that niche...?

I dunno just throwing out ideas here.

Elessar Elfstone on

• Options
    edited April 2010
    I'm pretty sure our level 85 spell is meant to address exactly that.

re: changes since pre-ICC

-Demonology doesn't suck and is in fact quite awesome.
    -Affliction doesn't suck and is potentially more awesome though slightly frustrating.
    -Destruction doesn't suck.
    -Pets get 100% resil in PvP.
    -Afflic uses Felhound in DPS now
    -Soulstone has lower cooldown/duration

There's plenty of little changes tree by tree, but those are the big things.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    ah, I remember demo not sucking from the ptrs
    what is the build for max dps? Is it demo then? I quite liked playing demo on the ptr, but I didn't get the hang of it completely..
    would be a nice challenge though
    or is destro still king?
    and how does gear factor into this decision?

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Evil WeevilEvil Weevil Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So uh, I plan to level a lock when Cata hits stores, probably a Worgen. If I like melting faces slowly, then it's Affliction, right?

Evil Weevil on
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well, I like to think of picking a lock spec this way.

Which Nazi head fatality did you like best at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark? Pick from there.

Bigity on
  • Options
    Evil WeevilEvil Weevil Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Bigity wrote: »
    Well, I like to think of picking a lock spec this way.

Which Nazi head fatality did you like best at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark? Pick from there.

That's an amazing way of looking at it.

Evil Weevil on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    that's the best analogy ever

Beezel on