As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cookie (or Biscuit) Brigade East

• FacelesscogFacelesscog Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ok, not to get too early a start on things...but...

Cookie Brigade ideas for next year
    (Please preface all of these ideas...except #1...with "If it's ok with Hypatia and VThornheart." I don't want to step on toes here, I'm just trying to help.)

1) Rebecca and I are planning a new Mobile Cookie Platform system for next year. It should rock, and make it a lot easier to keep track of the different types of cookies. It will also get in my way a lot less (no more hitting my wheels) and have the advantage of looking totally cool and being a nice gamer reference to boot.
    Design sketch:
    Mobile%20Cookie%20Platform2.jpg
    It would hang on the back of my chair. The structure would be made of fabric, but with cardboard inserts and lined with insulating material to keep things cool.

2) I had the opportunity to head up to Enforcerland and talk to Mort, who was the lovely lady in charge of Enforcer well-being. She and I chatted for a bit, and came to the agreement that it'd be awesome if we could take cookies directly to Enforcerland (two or three trips a day) to allow the Enforcers to have a chance at our goodies, as well as the regular folks. (Also, we really like the Enforcers, and want to give them cookies.) Basically, she would either call us and let us know when was a good time to come up (lots of Enforcers present, as in a shift change), or we'd have to call ahead. Either way, she liked the idea a lot.

3) If we get the Enforcers' blessing, I'd like to take a tray of VIP cookies to the folks in Bandland. I'm sure they have snacks waiting for them in a green room somewhere, but while they're out in Bandland, it seems that they're on their own. So, why not share some cookie love with 'em? Rebecca and I had an idea for a Black and White style cookie, with a silhouette of Gabe and/or Tycho (or some other character from the strip) on it. (I'd want to get Khoo's permission before doing that...I don't want to make any waves for the Brigade by doing something I shouldn't.)

4) We'd like to bake and send up a box of cookies to the guys at LoadingReadyRun.com when they do their Desert Bus for Hope charity event. It's not unusual for people to send them snacks, and they always appreciate it. It'd be a nice way to help them do something great, and it might help raise awareness of the Cookie Brigade outside of the forums.

5) I'd also like to look into the possibility of getting some sort of sponsorship. This may include getting donations of supplies (or finished goods) from local bakeries or grocery stores, flyers from local print shops, or just about anything else that could help with the cause.

6) Finally, after Alex and I both had some issues with people that either didn't believe that we were actually giving cookies away, or thought it was some sort of scam, I think it would really help to raise awareness of the Cookie Brigade outside of the forums. Unfortunately, outside of the previously mentioned Cookies for Desert Bus item, I don't really have any ideas at the moment, so this is really more of an open question. Any thoughts out there on how to raise Cookie Brigade Awareness?

Facelesscog on
  • aerynkellyaerynkelly nothing to see here, move along Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ok, not to get too early a start on things...but...

Cookie Brigade ideas for next year
    6) Finally, after Alex and I both had some issues with people that either didn't believe that we were actually giving cookies away, or thought it was some sort of scam, I think it would really help to raise awareness of the Cookie Brigade outside of the forums. Unfortunately, outside of the previously mentioned Cookies for Desert Bus item, I don't really have any ideas at the moment, so this is really more of an open question. Any thoughts out there on how to raise Cookie Brigade Awareness?

I ran into that as well. I didn't have any of the cookie brigade cards (should have grabbed some from VT) so I had nothing "official" to convince people I wasn't just some creep lol. I don't know if it would be possible, but maybe if there was some sort of mention of the cookie brigade in the program book?

aerynkelly on
    fss_overall.png
    edited March 2010
    I was thinking about that same thing. I don't know how hard it would be to arrange such a thing, but it would sure go a long way in raising people's awareness of us.

Facelesscog on
  • HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Due to some last minute donations that got turned in our grand total actually came out to: $3162.14!

Thank you to everyone who distributed, baked, and bought cookies, you guys all rocked! :D

On the ideas for PAX Prime:
    - the ID might be a little bit alleviated by the buttons, since button trading is a PAX Prime thing and we should be able to pool together to get more CB buttons.
    - for the Enforcer/Bandland thing, I was actually thinking about this on the way home and thought we could create something like:

cbbox.jpg

...and leave them at some of the Enforcer desks/areas like the info booth, particularly for the enforcers that get stuck without being able to leave. This would make it a lot easier for Cookie Brigade members because we could just swing by where the boxes are and if we see that it's going empty, we can just dump some more in. We'd also know where to pick up any donations before the turn-in.

The other notes I wrote for ideas for PAX Prime:
    - Make a large flag with the Child's Play logo on it for the meeting areas, it was unfortunate that the bag I was using as a flag was almost the same color as the bags they were giving out
    - A lighter portable flagpole so VT doesn't have to lug it around so painfully and *crossed fingers* we can try to make one that's a bit sturdier so it won't break
    - Bring rubber bands for the cash so we don't end up scrounging for plastic bags
    - Bring ziploc bags for loose change so it isn't floating all over the place
    - Bring more Cookie Brigade buttons
    - For meeting places next time, open the map file of the convention center and put a big red dot where we're going to be meeting so people can find us more easily.

Anyway, I just wanted to say, awesome job everyone! :D

PS: Moe, if you're reading this, is there any chance that there's extra room on the CCST that Cookie Brigade members could fill with boxes of cookies to pick them up in Seattle? I feel like one of the biggest hurdles for us is the difficulty in traveling/shipping/bringing cookies.

Hypatia on
    edited March 2010
    On the recipes, I'll be happy to forward the snickerdoodle and potato chip cookie recipes to anyone who wants them, just let me know! (I'll send them to the people who posted about it when I get home) :)

Hypatia on
  • RebeccaRebecca Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm all over the flag thing! Heh gimme a week or two and I'll get it shipped out to either VT or you. I have a rockin' embroidery machine that I don't get to use nearly enough. It'll be the cookie brigade 8 bit logo.

Rebecca on
  • VentureIndustriesVentureIndustries Registered User new member
    edited April 2010
    About the enforcers, a lot of the ones I met were incredibly friendly to me, about half the ones I talked to knew about the Cookie Brigade.
    A quick thing I noticed on the Saturday Concerts
    I was walking around the line selling cookies from the front to the back, and while I did get a lot of donations, a lot of people didn't trust that it was for Cookie Brigade (which was stated earlier).
    An idea I had for fixing this, was maybe get someone who is an enforcer on their offshift to walk around with the seller, which helps make the operation more trustworthy. While I realize this would be hard to find an enforcer to do that, it would be awesome if they could come for the major lines.

Also, I remembered where I saw VT and Hypathia before PAX East, you guys were at PAX Prime 09, with VT dressed as an Engie with a box that said cookie brigade, and was walking around the first day in the lines to get in. And Hypathia had me hold her stuff in the line for the make a strip panel.

VentureIndustries on
    If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars.
    edited April 2010
    Oh, and if anyone wants it, I made a little Cookie Brigade banner for my sig. Help yourself!

Facelesscog on
  • WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hypatia wrote: »
    Due to some last minute donations that got turned in our grand total actually came out to: $3162.14!

Thank you to everyone who distributed, baked, and bought cookies, you guys all rocked! :D

On the ideas for PAX Prime:
    - the ID might be a little bit alleviated by the buttons, since button trading is a PAX Prime thing and we should be able to pool together to get more CB buttons.
    - for the Enforcer/Bandland thing, I was actually thinking about this on the way home and thought we could create something like:
    cbbox.jpg

...and leave them at some of the Enforcer desks/areas like the info booth, particularly for the enforcers that get stuck without being able to leave. This would make it a lot easier for Cookie Brigade members because we could just swing by where the boxes are and if we see that it's going empty, we can just dump some more in. We'd also know where to pick up any donations before the turn-in.

The other notes I wrote for ideas for PAX Prime:
    - Make a large flag with the Child's Play logo on it for the meeting areas, it was unfortunate that the bag I was using as a flag was almost the same color as the bags they were giving out
    - A lighter portable flagpole so VT doesn't have to lug it around so painfully and *crossed fingers* we can try to make one that's a bit sturdier so it won't break
    - Bring rubber bands for the cash so we don't end up scrounging for plastic bags
    - Bring ziploc bags for loose change so it isn't floating all over the place
    - Bring more Cookie Brigade buttons
    - For meeting places next time, open the map file of the convention center and put a big red dot where we're going to be meeting so people can find us more easily.

Anyway, I just wanted to say, awesome job everyone! :D

PS: Moe, if you're reading this, is there any chance that there's extra room on the CCST that Cookie Brigade members could fill with boxes of cookies to pick them up in Seattle? I feel like one of the biggest hurdles for us is the difficulty in traveling/shipping/bringing cookies.

Seems like a good idea, but please don't make that priority over walking handouts. Being asked with a smiling face and being able to talk face-to-face to a cookie brigader is > walking up to, and reading, a box...

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    edited April 2010
    Seems like a good idea, but please don't make that priority over walking handouts. Being asked with a smiling face and being able to talk face-to-face to a cookie brigader is > walking up to, and reading, a box...

Oh no, absolutely not. Hypatia's talking about leaving a box in Bandland (for the guests) and in Enforcerland (for the Enforcers). These would only supplement the work of the roving Cookie Brigadiers, and would certainly not replace them. Heck, I enjoy dishing them out as much as people enjoy gettin' em!

I've already started drawing up plans in Sketchup:
    Hypatias%20Cookie%20Box.jpg

Facelesscog on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wow, these are all really fantastic ideas! I love them! =)

I also love the idea of having a real Cookie Brigade flag: I think that would be totally epic.

As for the flagpole breaking, I have some good ideas for how I can improve the design....

1) The actual "raised" portion of the flagpole needs to not be a 2x4. What I should've done was join a very small piece of 2x4 to a long but thin wooden pole. Doing that would decrease the weight being lifted probably by a factor of five: we'd still have the small piece of 2x4 to attach the joint latching pieces onto, but the vast majority of what is lifted would be the very thin and lightweight wooden pole or dowel. (do you call it a dowel when it's ~1.5 feet long? =) ) Anyways, that alone should solve the problem, because it really was the weight of that 1.5 foot long wooden block that killed it, along with...

2) We need a more solid "bottom joint". In theory, the whole thing worked well, but in practice I needed a more sturdy and solid attaching joint on the bottom.

With these improvements, we'll be set I think. =)

I love the box idea as well, I think it's fantastic... and for those of you new to the Brigade, you'll be pleasantly surprised to see that the vast majority of PAX Prime goers now know about us: the ratio of puzzled looks to welcoming looks is much more favorable there. It will be that way at PAX East as well, given enough time and getting the word out. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • cuennascuennas Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    you guys should have tshirts made like the enforcers had i think that would be epic

cuennas on
    edited April 2010
    Heh I was thinking of making a cute girl scout type outfit with the colors being golden brown with black embroidery on it like a chocolate chip cookie.

Rebecca on
    edited April 2010
    There was some talk of a Cookie Brigade shirt, hat or other identifying item of clothing. I agree that it would go a long way towards people recognizing us and being able to spot us from a distance. Astillac and I talked about the possibility of a "Cookie Monster" hat...but the idea of an official Cookie Brigade shirt, similar to the Enforcers, is pretty appealing. I might just see if I can come up with anything cool, out of curiosity.

Facelesscog on
    edited April 2010
    yea i like have things different and i would love to help like i have said before east was my first pax and i miss it so much

cuennas on
    edited April 2010
    It would be cool, if it were covert enough. Until the day comes that we can be recognized for the good we do over the potential the competition we theoretically present to the convention centers' catering company, we have to keep a somewhat covert operation.

Three years of doing this has given me the impression that, in practice, they are willing to turn a blind eye to us... but if we flaunt it, we can't be sure that they won't just round us up and kick us out.

Hopefully someday we'll be free to more proudly promote ourselves... it is my hope that this day will come. I can only imagine how much money we could make for Child's Play if we didn't have to be a covert operation for goodness, and could get more prominent displays of presence as a result. =)

VThornheart on
    edited April 2010
    yes i see your point. they would be upset about losing there over priced funds to your cookies lol. and like i said the people you had "fund raising were very nice" the one i bought from was nice then i meet a young gentlemen who was also selling who me and my friend call gnome lol. he actually got me into dungeons and dragons and i didnt get to thank that fool unfortunately hence the gnome search lol

oh and ps now i want cookies who would like to make me some :mrgreen:

cuennas on
  • WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Don't forget a cookie brigade PAX badge, offering exclusive access to the convention center kitchen ;p

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • yanksrul5yanksrul5 New JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I have never had vegan cookies until I got them at PAX and they were great! thanks for the snack and good luck raising more money!

yanksrul5 on
  • itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    To the Cookie Brigade member who stuck cookies in BYOC...THANK YOU! They were awesome and a much needed pick-me-up after a long day/night of gaming with very little other food in my body. This is such a great thing and such a great cause...looking forward to more awesome cookies next year!

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Thought I would leave this here. :P
    4477870124_18bc048efc_b.jpg

Those cookies were awesome, I'm so glad VT came by when I was relaxing on a sumo.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
    edited April 2010
    <3 Coldbrew =)=)

Also itzerokewl, I think it was my wife Calli who set up that little "pickup" station... I definitely think it's something we should continue doing! Hopefully using that new box design idea that Facelesscog was talking about! =)

VThornheart on
    edited April 2010
    <3 Coldbrew =)=)

Also itzerokewl, I think it was my wife Calli who set up that little "pickup" station... I definitely think it's something we should continue doing! Hopefully using that new box design idea that Facelesscog was talking about! =)

Totally Hypatia's idea, I just drew up a quick picture in SketchUp. :)

Having cookies in the BYOC room really did seem to work out, though. A more formal system (like the Cookie Brigade box) would certainly streamline that, and Calli wouldn't have to constantly be there watching the cookies! We would, of course, need someone with a BYOC badge to get in there and restock every now and then, but with you and Calli, I think we've got that covered.

Facelesscog on
    edited April 2010
    Ah, true, but these are good things! =)

I'll definitely keep manning the BYOC, and with DJ at Prime it definitely won't be a problem either. (DJ, are you coming to Prime?)

You haven't met DJ yet, but he's been our cookie logistics man since the beginning. Does a fantastic job (a much better job than I did at it!) doing what I tried to do at East this year, which is to use the BYOC as a platform for uniting bakers with distributors.

With the whole group from both East and Prime at this next Prime, I could see this possibly being the most successful Brigade ever as long as we get sufficient cookies! =)

VThornheart on
  • DJBreslinDJBreslin Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ah, true, but these are good things! =)

I'll definitely keep manning the BYOC, and with DJ at Prime it definitely won't be a problem either. (DJ, are you coming to Prime?)

You haven't met DJ yet, but he's been our cookie logistics man since the beginning. Does a fantastic job (a much better job than I did at it!) doing what I tried to do at East this year, which is to use the BYOC as a platform for uniting bakers with distributors.

With the whole group from both East and Prime at this next Prime, I could see this possibly being the most successful Brigade ever as long as we get sufficient cookies! =)

I am absolutely coming to Prime; was very sad to miss East. I look forward to meeting all the new Cookie Brigadiers and seeing all you old timers again.

I hope to live up to previous years and help make sure we have "sufficient" cookies. That KitchenAid mixer will get used for literally the third time since I bought it... ;-) It may as well have the Cookie Brigade logo stamped on it!

DJBreslin on
    edited April 2010
    Awesome! This is going to be most excellent! =)

VThornheart on
    edited April 2010
    Hey guys I have a question. What size should I make the flags? I didn't know if you had a size in mind VT for your new pole.

Here are the common sizes, I'm leaning toward the 2 x 3 but I'll make whatever you all wish.

Size: 12 inches x 18 inches
    While this flag is usually classified as a hand flag, it can also be used as a car flag and is generally supplied with a wooden or plastic pole. The size of the pole would be 0.08mm x 60cm again allowing it to be easily used for waving. These flags would be seen at sporting events, promotions etc.

Size: 2ft x 3ft
    This flag is sized between the hand flags and hoisted flags. They are commonly used with high flag poles but can be used as garden flags. As a hand flag they are ideal for use at sporting events and as promotional give outs.

Size: 3ft x 5ft
    This is the most common flag size, big enough to be seen and cheap enough to make the flag cost effective. This size is used on business and company flag poles, flown outside private homes, used in schools, clubs and by fans. They are also prominent at promos and often used as giveaways. A flag pole of at least 20ft high is required for this size flag.

Please let me know. Thanks!

Rebecca on
    edited April 2010
    The 2ft x 3ft seems like it would make the most sense, that would be large enough to identify in the crowd at PAX without being too unwieldy

Hypatia on
  • astillacastillac Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Calli here!

I am so glad people liked the cookies in the BYOC. I was really excited when I thought of it, and I'm going to work on making it even better. Now that I'm, you know, going to PAX and stuff. :P I think if we got some sort of drop box for money, I could leave it on the table without worrying about it. BYOC people generally have a pretty good idea of what's going on.

Have we mentioned taking Cookie Monster as our mascot? That was an idea FacelessCog and I were kicking around at East. Maybe a t-shirt or an armband? It wouldn't have to say anything... maybe Cookie Monster on the front and "COOKIES!" on the back? Just so we had some sort of uniform? The downside is also the upside - visibility and group cohesion.

astillac on
    edited April 2010
    You're so awesome Rebecca! Thank you so much for making this flag, woot! =)=)

Indeed, I think the 2' by 3' sounds like the ideal size... with improvements to the conceptual design of the flag pole, it should be able to fit it (particularly if it's 2 feet wide by 3 feet long instead of vice-versa). This is going to be most excellent!! =)

Also, I definitely think the Cookie Monster idea was an excellent way to advertise for the Brigade in a way that's not as overt... it could definitely work well! I think at one point we were thinking of Cookie Monster hats of some variety... I think that could be win. =)

VThornheart on
    edited April 2010
    With the logo that Hypatia sent me, I put together a little section on my Cafepress site. What do you think?
    Cookie Brigade Merch

Facelesscog on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited April 2010
    Good to know that the cookie brigade thong is made in the USA

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited April 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

Heheh...Hey, if they're going to have it as an option, I can't very well pass it up, now can I? :)

Facelesscog on
    edited April 2010
    lol! I guess that would certainly get people's attention for cookie selling purposes! Who will be our brave thong-wearing Brigadier? ;) Kidding, kidding! =)

I see that the CafePress site has Aprons and Messenger Bags, which were both awesome ideas for "hideable" advertising in previous years that we never had the opportunity to mass produce. Theoretically through CafePress, such mass production would be possible... I could definitely see wearing a Cookie Brigade apron for example.

I still think that the most awesome cookie brigade distributor advertising idea I've heard so far has been the cookie monster cosplay hat. If we could get those somehow/from somewhere, that would be awesome... maybe combined with the aprons! =)

Hmm, I found a good one, but they appear to be out of stock everywhere I've checked:

http://www.gigaweb.com/products/view/39817

It looks like, theoretically, it might be easy to make though for someone with some leet sewing skills.

VThornheart on
    edited April 2010
    May I recommend an alternative for those of us that don't want to go the "whole head" cookie monster route? :) How about something like this:
    Top%20hat.png

It should be fairly straight-forward to make, would be super-visible in a crowd, etc. I'll have to talk to Becca and see if she can help me sew one as a test run.

EDIT: Ok, redid the sketch with a blue fur texture to get a better idea what it would look like:
    Top%20hat2.png

Facelesscog on
    edited April 2010
    When I was thinking of the hats, I was was envisioning more of the hats that were made for the PokeCrawl. Blue felt/fur, glue on googly eyes....

astillac on
  • CaveCibumCaveCibum Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I just wanted to stop in and say thanks for helping make my first PAX a blast. I loved my potato chip cookie and even had to make some when I got home. I'm planning on joining the brigade next year.

CaveCibum on
    edited April 2010
    astillac wrote: »
    When I was thinking of the hats, I was was envisioning more of the hats that were made for the PokeCrawl. Blue felt/fur, glue on googly eyes....

Refresh my memory. I saw several hats that resembled Jayne's hat from Firefly, with the ear flaps and all, and a pokemon face or ears on the front and side. Is that the kind you mean?

Do you think we could just go with a general "Cookie Monster" theme, and leave the implementation up to the individual? After having came up with the idea almost by accident, I'm kind of fond of the Cookie Monster Top Hat now. :)

Facelesscog on
    edited April 2010
    Do you think we could just go with a general "Cookie Monster" theme, and leave the implementation up to the individual? After having came up with the idea almost by accident, I'm kind of fond of the Cookie Monster Top Hat now. :)

I think that might be more fun for everyone - let them make their own interpretations. It depends on the consensus, I imagine, but I'm all for it.

astillac on
  • feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

"Man, that oatmeal raisin cookie was good but now I have it stuck in my tooth. Does anyone have any floss?"

Yeah, that's awkward and awesome at the same time.

feitocomfruta on
This discussion has been closed.