As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I enjoyed The Darkness

MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Games and Technology
I don't have anything earth shattering to say but the other threads for this game are like two years old so here's a new one.

The Darkness looks only slightly better than a PS2 game, the shooting is a little clunky and it took a while to get my bearings in the game world but there is a really good story in there. All the voice acting is convincing even the bonus phone calls and Jackie was a very likeable anti-hero. There are no monster closest scares just a very dark atmosphere and a very creepy tentacle monster to keep you company with its sinister threats. You can be very creative with your darkness powers but you do feel a little too powerful because honestly, when you can slither tentacles around to eat faces and summon black holes on top of groups of enemies dying comes from being careless rather than the game being challenging. The monsters you can summon can be good fun but their AI is too rubbish for them to be very useful.

Overall a good way to spend 15 hours and about £10, you could certainly do a lot worse. :) I liked the ending and I hope Starbreeze get to make a sequel.

Moioink on

• brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think it looks WAY nicer than a PS2 game. Starbreeze at the top of their game in fact.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Slightly better than PS2 is probably hyperbole on my part but it's a huge step down in lighting and texture detail from other games on PS3. I don't doubt it looks a lot nicer on PC though.

Moioink on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I only picked this up because it was done by the folks behind the incredible Riddick game on the oXbox. Well, that and the trailers were insanely good. Seeing those li'l gremlins go about and do their decapitating was just so adorable.

Also, fuck zombie Nazis.

Big Classy on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    At this point, the gamer instinct of "reload your weapon when the action is over" is too ingrained to make The Darkness's "lose all your loaded ammo on reload" mechanic anything other than annoying.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »
    I only picked this up because it was done by the folks behind the incredible Riddick game on the oXbox. Well, that and the trailers were insanely good. Seeing those li'l gremlins go about and do their decapitating was just so adorable.

Also, fuck zombie Nazis.

technically they were pre-nazis since it was WW1

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    At this point, the gamer instinct of "reload your weapon when the action is over" is too ingrained to make The Darkness's "lose all your loaded ammo on reload" mechanic anything other than annoying.

man, what? you dont even reload in that game, you just throw your gun down and grab another one from the magical pistol-backpack

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2010
    Basticle wrote: »
    Raiden333 wrote: »

man, what? you dont even reload in that game, you just throw your gun down and grab another one from the magical pistol-backpack

You can reload using clips with the rifles but I never used guns enough to be bothered by ammo consumption. When you can tentacle dudes in the face bullets seem awful quaint in comparison.

Moioink on
    edited April 2010
    Moioink wrote: »
    Slightly better than PS2 is probably hyperbole on my part but it's a huge step down in lighting and texture detail from other games on PS3. I don't doubt it looks a lot nicer on PC though.

Are you comparing it to games released now? Because it was the shit back when it released. I do recall reading about how the PPS3 version had a few graphical issues so it could be that.

Big Classy on
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I don't doubt it looks a lot nicer on PC though.
    Never got a PC release. :(

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Man what was up with that crazy old lady asking you to jump infront of a subway train to pick up her damn coins.

Also The Darkness wasn't that good an FPS but was a pretty good game in general. I enjoyed the loading screen stories and the telephone calls, even if all you got was some art unlocks, and Mike Patton's VA for The Darkness itself was neat. Also is has the best achievement ever:
    snuggle with Jenny in front of the TV.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I got this a long while ago, on PS3, for $12 and only got a little ways in before I got distracted with something else. Definitely not the greatest game, but not a bad game at all from what I played. Definitely left a good impression, even though I can only remember describing it to a friend by using the phrase "And all of a sudden, Bam! Demon powers.", getting lost a few times and munching some hearts.

I intend on starting it up again after I've gone through all the other games I've gotten recently, though, just to see how it plays out.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
    edited April 2010
    Also is has the best achievement ever:

I recommended this game to a friend and told him to do that. Quite a powerful moment in the game given what happens later on.

Big Classy on
    edited April 2010
    so does To Kill a Mockingbird just go on forever? I think I stoped watching after 10 minutes.

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2010

Are you comparing it to games released now? Because it was the shit back when it released. I do recall reading about how the PPS3 version had a few graphical issues so it could be that.

Maybe a bit of both. Either way it wasn't enough to spoil my enjoyment.
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    I don't doubt it looks a lot nicer on PC though.
    Never got a PC release. :(

Bizarre o_O

Moioink on
  • ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I really hated the Emo Robert Deniro main character. I couldn't stop laughing every time he gave one of those monologue things.

ANTVGM64 on
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This is one of the best examples of using a game to tell a story. I don't play a lot of shooters, but I actually managed to finish this one, which is saying a lot.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Basticle wrote: »
    so does To Kill a Mockingbird just go on forever? I think I stoped watching after 10 minutes.

Yes it's the entire movie.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I enjoyed sitting down and watching To Kill a Mockingbird in its entirety.

Delta Assault on
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    There are people that didn't enjoy The Darkness? That was a great game. It made me start picking up the comic, but it turns out those are bad, so I stopped.

PolloDiablo on
  • Cannon GooseCannon Goose I need some GAGS! If only I had my gag book!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I could never quite get a grasp on the aiming in this game. It just felt so clunky that I couldn't play it.

Cannon Goose on
    edited April 2010
    I could never quite get a grasp on the aiming in this game. It just felt so clunky that I couldn't play it.

The auto aiming is really bad. You need to turn it right the way down as the default settings are really silly.

Moioink on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Also is has the best achievement ever:

I recommended this game to a friend and told him to do that. Quite a powerful moment in the game given what happens later on.

Man. That bit was so awful to watch.
    They had Jenny with a gun to their head, and I was thinking 'come on, go all demon and tear them apart'. But no, it makes him stand there and watch as his girlfriend has her head blown off. Just thought 'man, people are going to get fucked up over this'.

-Loki- on
  • RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

wtf? that movie is in the game?

Ranadiel on
  • Cannon GooseCannon Goose I need some GAGS! If only I had my gag book!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

The auto aiming is really bad. You need to turn it right the way down as the default settings are really silly.

No, I meant I could never get the aiming sensitivity how I wanted it. Perfect Dark Zero had this problem as well - It had about half a dozen sliders just for sensitivity when you really only need two.

I don't think The Darkness was as bad as PDZ but I still couldn't get it to play nice.

Cannon Goose on
  • AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I wanted to like The Darkness. I really did. But after about two hours of it, it dawned on me that I just wasn't having any fun with it.

I doubt I'll ever come back to it.

AJR on
    Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It has the single most D: moment in any game I've ever played. I really enjoyed it and would love a sequel.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
    edited April 2010
    This generation has made a depressing habit of killing off girlfriends in shocking ways. Don't click unless you know which games I might be referring to:
    After Prey and Infamous I was half expecting it. Still messed up though! :(

Moioink on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It shocks me that Prey is 'this generation'. I played that so long ago. I don't think it even has widescreen support for PC.

-Loki- on
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Great game. I didn't find the shooting clunky in the least, the auto-aim was very forgiving on the 360 version. And as others have said, it tells a good story, and some parts are really quite moving. Graphically, it looked alright. The characters and facial animations looked outstanding.

Also, there were some really cool environments. Especially toward the middle of the game, which I won't spoil.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
    edited April 2010
    Ranadiel wrote: »

Uh huh. More games need to put stuff like that in, IMO. It added about two hours of racial understanding to the overall playtime.

Delta Assault on
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The Darkness was a great surprise. On top of being a really well told story that used the interactive quality of games to its fullest (the couch moment with To Kill a Mockingbird for example), it got me to pick up and read Johnny Got His Gun, which is a damn good book.

BloodySloth on
    edited April 2010
    Ranadiel wrote: »

Uh huh. More games need to put stuff like that in, IMO. It added about two hours of racial understanding to the overall playtime.

Don't forget the 90 minutes of Sonny Chiba-delivered asskicking which was added to the game's running length in the other watchable in-game movie, The Street Fighter.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
    edited April 2010
    Oh man, is it later in the game? I don't think I've gotten to that part of the campaign yet.

Delta Assault on
    edited April 2010
    Oh man, is it later in the game? I don't think I've gotten to that part of the campaign yet.

I noticed it on a TV in the subway, very early in the game. To Kill A Mockingbird was just on a different channel.

Zoku Gojira on
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Great game, IMO. I knew the character was an Image comics character (the Image OverPower expansion was fantastic), but wasn't familiar with his story. I somehow missed some of the sidequests on my run through which annoyed me a bit as I wanted to get the achievement on my first run. The only other part that stands out as annoying was running around NYC. It was alright when there were dudes to shoot, but I remember wishing there were a sprint option at times. The final level was fantastic for the "I'm uber powerful and pissed off, you're all fucked" feeling it conveyed.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2010
    Bullio wrote: »
    Great game, IMO. I knew the character was an Image comics character (the Image OverPower expansion was fantastic), but wasn't familiar with his story. I somehow missed some of the sidequests on my run through which annoyed me a bit as I wanted to get the achievement on my first run. The only other part that stands out as annoying was running around NYC. It was alright when there were dudes to shoot, but I remember wishing there were a sprint option at times. The final level was fantastic for the "I'm uber powerful and pissed off, you're all fucked" feeling it conveyed.

Man, once you unlocked the Black Hole power, you were unstoppable, but it was still so fun watching guys get pulled into it. And your tentacle arm was always fun for impaling someone through the chest and flinging them at someone else.

-Loki- on
    edited April 2010
    One thing that did throw me off at the beginning when I saw the game was the appearance of Jackie. Cause I do read comic books, and was aware of Image Comics' The Darkness. So when I saw the video game, it really confused me to see this guy with long hair and guns, instead of the comic book version, where Jackie was a big muscular dude with most of his face covered by... his Darkness material. His whole body was covered in that sorta sickly organic alien-looking material, just like Witchblade. In fact, I was kinda expecting Witchblade to make a guest appearance in the game. The Darkness and Witchblade were closely connected in the comic books.

So yea... it was weird.
    398px-TheDarkness.jpg

See, he kinda looks a little different in the comics.

Delta Assault on
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Supposedly the rumor mill on the sequel will bring in the darkness armor and introduce the more supernatural side of The Darkness story. Granted I heard Starbreeze isn't making the next one so we'll have to see if its good...assuming it sees the light of day.

Psychotic One on