As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PA Forums Code Update - 4/4/2010

ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
I pushed out a database update tonight with that should improve the quality of the forums. This won't solve all of our problems, but it is a nice band-aid.

If you see any of the following, let me know:
  • Problems deleting / creating posts
  • Problems updating user profile information
  • Problems logging in? Shoot an email to webmaster@penny-arcade.com

Here is the technical details of what changed:
  • Doubled the size of the table cache - vB makes a lot of temporary tables
  • Increased max number of connections - to keep things smooth while searches are running
  • Changed the priority of UPDATE vs SELECT statements (low_priority_updates = 1)
  • Changed the way rows are inserted into MyISAM tables (concurrent_insert = 2)

The last two are aimed at reducing the number of write locks required, which should improve the speed of things and hopefully reduce the number of database outages.

Älphämönkëy on

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited April 2010
    If you see any of the following, let me know
    • Her, say hello
    • Me walking down the street, and I start to cry, each time we meet
    • Jordan, she makes me sick
    • Me rolling, you be hatin, try to catch me riding dirty

Here are the technical details of what I've been doing
    • Hustling
    • Hustling
    • Hustling
    • Hustling

Tube on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Not certain if this is related, but it appears that certain posts are appearing multiple times, or the forum isn't catching duplicates anymore. For example, on this page:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=116487&page=90

Irond Will's post appears identically three times with timestamps at one minute intervals.

japan on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Whoops, should've posted this here.

I'm getting some strange lag when I post. I'll hit post, and the progress spinner in the Firefox tab will start to spin, and spin, and spin... but it will take about 30 seconds for the post to actually go through. While it's attempting to post, the forums will still load just fine, I can open threads etc. When it finally does post, there are usually several other posts that appear at the same time.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I just saw some issues too, actually.

It was timing out when I was trying to post. Looked to see if my post was there, it wasn't, so I tried again and then it told me I had to wait before posting again. Looked again, and I had apparently double posted.

I deleted my double though.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The post lag thing just happened again. While the first post was attempting to complete, I tried making a second post right as the first completed. Both went through at almost the exact same time, no "you must wait 30 seconds" error.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I don't often get post lag, but I frequently have an issue since the update where I'll hit the post button, and it'll say the post is a duplicate. Then it takes me to the thread and my post is there. So somehow it's getting my request twice or something?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm getting some forum fuss on loading indexes (G&T, Tube's Circus, MMO subforum, etc). Also, two posts I tried to make got eaten up and returned an error about waiting 15 more seconds before I can post again.

Also hit a database error trying to post this initially.

Edit - Anyone else notice the three threads in one minute differences by psychotix, who is jailed? Threads with no content? <.<

Henroid on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I can't seem to use any embedded Youtube clips while using Google Chrome. No part of them responds to clicking, as if they're just a picture instead of a video.

Weird.

Edit: Also, this might not've been the best place to put this. Sorry.

Magus` on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    They still work fine for me (Chrome, XP)

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I can (sometimes) click the play button that appears in the middle of the embed, but the buttons (seek, volume, etc) don't respond at all.

Magus` on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Those all work for me too. You using the dev version or whatever the fancy one with the new stuff is?

L|ama on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    A couple of days ago I had an unusual error where I was attempting to post, and after a long hang between page refreshes, it would alert me that I could not post for 15 or 20 more seconds, even though I had not posted for several minutes. Was able to confirm it was *not* a double post incident.

Was able to reproduce a few times in a row at that point in time (and the number of seconds I "needed to wait" did not change), but haven't seen it since then.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'm using 4.1.2 of Google Chrome. Don't know if that's the dev version or not.

Magus` on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I ran into the post timer issue too. Then a database error, I figured the two were related.

Arrath on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Jasconius wrote: »
    A couple of days ago I had an unusual error where I was attempting to post, and after a long hang between page refreshes, it would alert me that I could not post for 15 or 20 more seconds, even though I had not posted for several minutes. Was able to confirm it was *not* a double post incident.

Was able to reproduce a few times in a row at that point in time (and the number of seconds I "needed to wait" did not change), but haven't seen it since then.

I'm seeing this now; unable to post a reply to a thread over in Critical Failures.

edit: Timed out again when I tried to post this report.

Darian on