As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I just got Fallout 3

DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
edited September 2010 in Social Entropy++
Fallout 3
My awesome wife bought us a ps3 for my birthday. My birthday is not for another 9 days, but dudes are coming to calibrate our TV this week, so we wanted to get it. Anyway, she also bought me Fallout 3.

I feel like I could benefit from some advice, and discussing games is always fun with you dudes.

Man, this is a kickass game. I got a taste of it when I visited my brother last year, but I never made it out of the Vault. Holy crap, this game is ginormous. I've probably played it for 10 hours or so, my guy is level 5. So much to do! Quest after quest show up!

I really love the look and feel, the aesthetics of the universe in here. The whole 50s Sci-Fi Space Age thing is really great, and the parts that make you feel like you are playing one of those drive-in only B-movies (attack of the fire breathing giant ants!) are wonderful.

I'm playing as a good guy, who does some stuff for free if the person is poor and charges some caps some times. He's a vaguely Asian Clark Gable type with orange hair.

New Vegas
Klash wrote: »
I got bored and thought I'd compile all the New Vegas videos I know of, into a list:

Fallout: New Vegas Teaser Trailer
Fallout: New Vegas Trailer - E3 2010
IGN - Fallout: New Vegas Preview
IGN - Fallout: New Vegas - Developer Interview
Fallout: New Vegas Demo - IGN Live E3 2010
Gametrailers - E3 2010: Developer Walkthrough Part I
Gametrailers - E3 2010: Developer Walkthrough Part II
G4TV E3 2010 Live: Fallout: New Vegas Demo

The gametrailer stuff posted earlier/here basically covers everything the other stuff does. But who doesn't want to hear the golden words of Chris Avellone and Josh Sawyer repeated endlessly?

I'll never get tired of hearing about grenade launching machine guns and being shot in the head and left for dead.

Edit: How do I make the videos just links, instead of full sized videos?

DouglasDanger on

• Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    you will soon have more bottlecaps than you know what to do with

same with ammo, guns, stims, etc

this game has a sharp difficulty curve that gets easier really quick

Skull Man on
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    you managed to kill burke and keep simms alive?

without knowing about it beforehand?

Squall on
  • ascotascot Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The first time I played F3 I wandered into the area with the fire-ants almost straight after coming out of the vault (I was a little eager in exploring) and, unsurprisingly, kept dying ooover and over. I hated it so much.
    Then I went back to it and did it properly and whaddayaknow, loved it.

ascot on
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    Squall wrote: »
    you managed to kill burke and keep simms alive?

without knowing about it beforehand?

I did the same thing the first time I played through...well technically, I'm still playing through as I've never quite finished the game.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You'll be drowning in caps later in the game. So just go and let them repair your stuff.
    The caps start flowing once you've found the best place to sell your sutff, which is Rivet City.

Platy on
    edited April 2010
    I got bogged down in mothership zeta

I should go back and finish it so I can do broken steel

but ME2 is just so much more interesting

Skull Man on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Maxing out repair is the best way to save yourself a lot of caps while also letting you do decent damage, especially in the early game. Also figure out what weapon you want to specialize in early.

As far as making caps, I've found your best bet is to find as many "everytime you bring me X item I'll give you Y caps" repeatable quests. There's a ghoul that wants sugar bombs, several people that will take any nuka cola quantums off your hands, blood bags, et cetera.

In fact, I don't think I've bought anything from a merchant ever, aside from stimpaks when I was running low once because I never level up endurance till the later levels. You can become pretty fucking rich while still having very quality equipment just by scavenging on the wasteland

Javen on
    edited April 2010
    Javen wrote: »
    Maxing out repair is the best way to save yourself a lot of caps while also letting you do decent damage, especially in the early game. Also figure out what weapon you want to specialize in early.

As far as making caps, I've found your best bet is to find as many "everytime you bring me X item I'll give you Y caps" repeatable quests. There's a ghoul that wants sugar bombs, several people that will take any nuka cola quantums off your hands, blood bags, et cetera.

In fact, I don't think I've bought anything from a merchant ever, aside from stimpaks when I was running low once because I never level up endurance till the later levels. You can become pretty fucking rich while still having very quality equipment just by scavenging on the wasteland

no, the best way to get caps early is to farm weapons off raiders (other enemies later)

get repair up to one hundred fast, then sell perfect pistols and rifles and armors for hundreds of caps

Skull Man on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Skull Man wrote: »
    you will soon have more bottlecaps than you know what to do with

same with ammo, guns, stims, etc

this game has a sharp difficulty curve that gets easier really quick

Sweet, because right now I have somewhere between 100 and 300 all the time.

I have a bunch of kickass guns, all in need of maitainance though. I whacked an enclave dude (with grenades) to get a laser rifle and some kickass power armor I can't use yet, I blew up a raider with grenades to get a sweet shotgun with a drum, I stole laser pistols from the Raider hideout in the Super Duper, I killed a Super Mutant for his chaingun. I killed Burke and got his suppressed 10mm pistol. And I have Chinese pistols, hunting rifles and the assualt rifle.

I keep repairing my guns with duplicates, I usually sell the Chinese pistol when I get it repaired a bit.

The Sheriff died the first couple of times when we confronted Burke, so I got between the Sheriff and Burke, with my assault rifle out. As soon as Burke drew his pistol, I shot him in the head a bunch of times. Skipped VATS and just dumped bullets in his face.

DouglasDanger on
    edited April 2010

no, the best way to get caps early is to farm weapons off raiders (other enemies later)

get repair up to one hundred fast, then sell perfect pistols and rifles and armors for hundreds of caps

There are very few merchants out there that carry more than a few hundred caps at a time. This will only lead to many wasted caps.

It also takes merchants awhile to recover their funds. Sell too often and you're just going to run out of buyers.

Javen on
    edited April 2010

There are very few merchants out there that carry more than a few hundred caps at a time. This will only lead to many wasted caps.

It also takes merchants awhile to recover their funds. Sell too often and you're just going to run out of buyers.

sell, wait three days, sell again

Skull Man on
  • Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    fuuck i need to install this again

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Nooooooooo

I have to finish FF XIII first before I get back into this noooooooo.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Captain CthulhuCaptain Cthulhu Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I need to buy this on PC and play it again there. I don't know why I bought it for 360 to begin with but it's still fun. My latest play through is an all evil dude that specializes in unarmed combat. He seriously can't shoot a gun for shit. It's a fun way to make it more difficult, since you have to let your friends lay down some cover fire while you and Dogmeat dodge bullets and run right up into their faces for some slow motion punching action.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • TLHTLH Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm thinking about re-buying this for the PC, this time with all the expansions. Unless someone is aware of a cheaper route to get them all?

TLH on
  • ShenanigansShenanigans Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This was a solid game.

I started playing Point Lookout but had to stop because I couldn't handle the pressure.

Shenanigans on
    edited April 2010
    Fawkes was my first companion. I had to look up where I could find Dogmeat.

Platy on
  • CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I got Broken Steel, reached the new level cap, and finished the story. I have quite a few quests left to do, but once you reach the level cap the game gets stunningly boring.

I loved the process of getting there, though.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
    edited April 2010
    I got the game of the year edition, which has a bunch of the DLC included. Maybe all of it, I am not sure.

DouglasDanger on
  • JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I managed to skip the GOAT.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
    edited April 2010
    I got the game of the year edition, which has a bunch of the DLC included. Maybe all of it, I am not sure.

It does.

Javen on
    edited April 2010

It does.

Sweet.

Also, thanks for the tips about caps, guys. I will focus a little more on repair.

I'm torn about restarting, because I found out about these bobble head dolls, which boost your stats or something, and I missed the first one, which is somewhere in the Vault according to a FAQ.

I wish I didn't have to go to work now, I want to play some more.

DouglasDanger on
    edited April 2010
    You'll visit Vault 101 again in due time, don't worry.

Platy on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    the only companion I had was the murder happy dude jericho from megaton

about 30 seconds into our partnership I killed him

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited April 2010
    You missed the Vault bobblehead?

how

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2010
    everyone i know did their first time through

edited April 2010

It does.

Sweet.

Also, thanks for the tips about caps, guys. I will focus a little more on repair.

I'm torn about restarting, because I found out about these bobble head dolls, which boost your stats or something, and I missed the first one, which is somewhere in the Vault according to a FAQ.

I wish I didn't have to go to work now, I want to play some more.
    You'll visit Vault 101 again in due time, don't worry.

Sweet

also, what are you guys talking about partners and followers and a dog?

DouglasDanger on
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    YOU MUST IMMEDIATELY INVEST IN ALL THE MERCHANTS

DO IT NOW

DOWNLOAD THE MOD THAT MAKES THEM ESSENTIAL CHARACTERS EVEN

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I played the hell out of Fallout 3 when it came out. 60 or more hours. I loaned it to a friend and dropped by one night. He was just heading into DC for the first time, a place I knew pretty well when a woman ran up to him screaming "I HAVE A BOMB I HAVE A BOMB ON ME OH GOD HEEELLLPPPPP." We both just blinked for a second. She blew up.

Had no idea that was in there. I've replayed it and been to that exact spot a few times but she's never reappeared. That is why Final Fantasy XIII being so linear made me a grumpy man.

OnTheLastCastle on
    edited April 2010

How

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    just spent the last 2 days playing this on my friends laptop

point lookout and the pitt are crazy hard compared to the other dlc

partners: you can get npcs to follow you around, like Dogmeat, mercenaries, etc

full list at this site

Beasteh on
    edited April 2010
    because if you're playing it for the first time you dont typically notice things around you very easily?

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    however my greatest achievement was managing to kill fawkes

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited April 2010
    I hate how he becomes invincible because of a bug in Broken Steel. I know he wouldn't go down even without this bug, but it just doesn't feel right anymore using him.

Platy on
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    I stopped using Fawkes because he made the game too easy.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Balefuego wrote: »

How

I did, too.

I didn't know I was supposed to be looking for them early on in my first playthrough.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
    edited April 2010
    Plus 101 (and all the vaults) really are designed like a big fucking maze

it's rather simple to miss a small novelty item sitting on a desk if you're not actively searching for it.

I mean, I found it quite simply, but that's just me

Javen on
    edited April 2010
    I assumed everyone searched every corner of every room compulsively for fear of missing anything.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2010
    plus the only time you really got a chance to do that amata is all you gotta get out of here and you're like ohhh shit gotta get outta here

edited April 2010
    You really only start doing that when you find out that there is actual shit to miss

which, if fallout 3 was your first of the series, is a very distinct possibility.

Javen on