As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Right-Wing Extremism

1101112131416»

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    moniker wrote: »
    I don't know who you're talking about

Glenn Beck. He went on a rant about how 'social justice' is just codewords for 'communism' or something awhile back.

Here.

Oh, right, I remember that clip.

There was another one where he compared volunteering to Maoism. I believe I posted that to Facebook with the title WHY DO PEOPLE STILL LISTEN TO THIS WALKING COLOSTOMY BAG

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, that Glenn Beck. Anyway I'm just wondering when the Mormon church is going to say something along the lines of "Hey! This guy doesn't represent us!"

As far as I can tell with a Google search it hasn't happened yet.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, that Glenn Beck. Anyway I'm just wondering when the Mormon church is going to say something along the lines of "Hey! This guy doesn't represent us!"

Probably because he almost certainly tithes a couple hundred thousand dollars a year

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Probably because he almost certainly tithes a couple hundred thousand dollars a year

Oh right, silly me, that was the obvious answer. Carry on thread! :mrgreen:

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Also probably because they agree with most of what he says.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Aegis wrote: »
    This seems to fit this thread better than the general Republican thread (though now that I look that thread got locked), but, from 538:
    tea+party+racism1.PNG
    tea+party+racism2.PNG
    tea+party+racism3.PNG
    tea+party+racism4.PNG

Which is a series of charts taken from a survey which looked at (a sample of just white people) whether or not one approved of the Tea Party Movement and what one's opinions were to a number of minority groups/immigrants, showing that Tea Party movement supporters aren't anywhere near mainstream even among just whites. (Schaller notes that a better comparison might have been done between whites and white Republicans/conservatives but given this was looked at in comparison to another study which tried to paint Tea Party supporters as actually mainstream and not racist, then this was a good start).

Unless I'm missing something, that doesn't really seem related to the tea party at all. And am I to understand you could only strongly agree or disagree? The results seem to indicate that was the case.

Yall on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yall wrote: »
    This seems to fit this thread better than the general Republican thread (though now that I look that thread got locked), but, from 538:
    tea+party+racism1.PNG
    tea+party+racism2.PNG
    tea+party+racism3.PNG
    tea+party+racism4.PNG

Which is a series of charts taken from a survey which looked at (a sample of just white people) whether or not one approved of the Tea Party Movement and what one's opinions were to a number of minority groups/immigrants, showing that Tea Party movement supporters aren't anywhere near mainstream even among just whites. (Schaller notes that a better comparison might have been done between whites and white Republicans/conservatives but given this was looked at in comparison to another study which tried to paint Tea Party supporters as actually mainstream and not racist, then this was a good start).

Unless I'm missing something, that doesn't really seem related to the tea party at all. And am I to understand you could only strongly agree or disagree? The results seem to indicate that was the case.

No. If you didn't strongly agree or disagree, you simply weren't counted in these results.

Essentially they called a bunch of white people up and asked them "How they felt about the Tea Party" and "How they felt about other races".

Then they simply graphed how people who felt strongly for or against the Tea Party felt about other races. The people who didn't feel strongly either way were ignored.

The result: Pro-Tea-Party people are a hell of alot more racist then anti-tea-party people

shryke on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    tea+party+racism1.PNG
    tea+party+racism2.PNG
    tea+party+racism3.PNG
    tea+party+racism4.PNG

No, it was your standard:

strongly support
    somewhat support
    somewhat oppose
    strongly oppose

question wording split, but they're graphing the strongly's only to connect to a more plausible inference that the results are more representative of Tea Party supporters.

The hypothesis is that those 'strongly' approving of the Tea Party would be more likely to be active supporters or activists of Tea Partiers and even when not actively supporting them, still share broadly similar views. Similarly, those 'strongly' disapproving would be more likely to be representative of those people not part of the Tea Party movement whatsoever. The two middle options really don't give a conclusive either way, so are ommitted.

And those graphs are crosstabs. The survey asked both "Do you support the Tea Party Movement?" and then each individual question of how they view minorities. Then they ran crosstabs between support for Tea Party movement against all those questions, and voila, the bar charts.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    shryke wrote: »
    tea+party+racism1.PNG
    tea+party+racism2.PNG
    tea+party+racism3.PNG
    tea+party+racism4.PNG

No. If you didn't strongly agree or disagree, you simply weren't counted in these results.

Essentially they called a bunch of white people up and asked them "How they felt about the Tea Party" and "How they felt about other races".

Then they simply graphed how people who felt strongly for or against the Tea Party felt about other races.

The result: Pro-Tea-Party people are a hell of alot more racist then anti-tea-party people

I see - I read it a bit more carefully the 2nd time through. Thanks.

Yall on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »

Actually the Mormon Church as issued a statment saying that they disagree with him and that Social Justice is a part of their doctrine.

Of course kicking him out for saying it is apparently beyond them. Probably because its more bad publicity then its worth. Many of Becks followers are hardcore evangelicals with little love for Mormons.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This seems to fit this thread better than the general Republican thread (though now that I look that thread got locked), but...

There is nothing but overlap between the two concepts at this point. Any sane person who supports Republicans has such a dearth of integrity that it is accurate to call them "extreme".

Two threads would be splitting hairs that cannot be split.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Kipling217 wrote: »

Actually the Mormon Church as issued a statment saying that they disagree with him and that Social Justice is a part of their doctrine.

Of course kicking him out for saying it is apparently beyond them. Probably because its more bad publicity then its worth. Many of Becks followers are hardcore evangelicals with little love for Mormons.
    I don't suppose you have a link...?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I suppose this is the appropriate place for this:

Sarah Palin: Losing Money
    SarahPAC collected $400,000 in the first quarter of the year, said the PAC's Treasurer Tim Crawford, but spent $409,000 in that same period.

Is this the end of Rock Hunter? God I hope so.

Atomika on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Aw, that's cute that you think he gives money to anybody but himself.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Jademonkey79Jademonkey79 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sorry to dredge up an old thread but I thought this was interesting.

To summarize- two Bobby Jindhal staffers are walking through the French Quarter. Something happens between them and a group of angry guys, both of them get stomped pretty bad. Right now it seems like the right is trying to say it's politically motivated but even Jindhal has had to squash some rumors about them wearing Palin buttons and such.

Basically it looks like Breitbart is about to cream his jeans over this one before they have the facts in. It could just be NOLA being NOLA, where everyone catches a beating once and a while. Or it could in fact be some nutcases beating the crap out of two people because they don't like their political party.

Jademonkey79 on
    "We’re surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    NOLA's not the place to go spouting off shit in a confrontation. Especially if you're not in a tourist friendly or suburban area.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Please, God, let it turn out that the guys who beat them up thought they were gay...

Thanatos on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Please, God, let it turn out that the guys who beat them up thought they were gay...

this would be fabulous

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm amazed CNN and MSNBC made some very mild effort to try and fact check some claims from the Tea Party anti-tax rallies today.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm almost entirely convinced now that Glenn Beck is purposefully acting like a nutjob. This of course makes him an even bigger monster than your average mentally unstable person on TV.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm almost entirely convinced now that Glenn Beck is purposefully acting like a nutjob. This of course makes him an even bigger monster than your average mentally unstable person on TV.

Beck has basically admitted that.

Key statement:
    With a deadpan, Beck insists that he is not political: "I could give a flying crap about the political process." Making money, on the other hand, is to be taken very seriously, and controversy is its own coinage. "We're an entertainment company," Beck says.

N1tSt4lker on
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

It's the French Quarter. It's doubtful that was the motivation.

N1tSt4lker on