As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I just got Fallout 3

• FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think I put about 300 hours into F3

which is a shame, because there's nothing new to experience now D:

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I had never played another Fallout game.

But that is years of rpg conditioning at work.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2010
    I played the hell out of Fallout 3 when it came out. 60 or more hours. I loaned it to a friend and dropped by one night. He was just heading into DC for the first time, a place I knew pretty well when a woman ran up to him screaming "I HAVE A BOMB I HAVE A BOMB ON ME OH GOD HEEELLLPPPPP." We both just blinked for a second. She blew up.

Had no idea that was in there. I've replayed it and been to that exact spot a few times but she's never reappeared. That is why Final Fantasy XIII being so linear made me a grumpy man.

She had the bomb planted on her by raiders or maybe slavers

That's either a sidequest where you disarm it with your repair/explosives skill and she leads you to the raiders OR it's the introduction to paradise falls, though I think it's the former since PF is introduced via slave cherrins

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    ive sunk about 300 hours into the game (combined PC and 360 playtime)

still havent found everything

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
    edited April 2010
    I probably missed one or two things, but I don't think I could handle a fifth 70++ hour playthrough

Especially since I just started the DA:O expansion with an orlesian warden and now it freezes whenever I get to a certain spot. :l

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Javen wrote: »
    Skull Man wrote: »
    Maxing out repair is the best way to save yourself a lot of caps while also letting you do decent damage, especially in the early game. Also figure out what weapon you want to specialize in early.

As far as making caps, I've found your best bet is to find as many "everytime you bring me X item I'll give you Y caps" repeatable quests. There's a ghoul that wants sugar bombs, several people that will take any nuka cola quantums off your hands, blood bags, et cetera.

In fact, I don't think I've bought anything from a merchant ever, aside from stimpaks when I was running low once because I never level up endurance till the later levels. You can become pretty fucking rich while still having very quality equipment just by scavenging on the wasteland

no, the best way to get caps early is to farm weapons off raiders (other enemies later)

get repair up to one hundred fast, then sell perfect pistols and rifles and armors for hundreds of caps

There are very few merchants out there that carry more than a few hundred caps at a time. This will only lead to many wasted caps.

It also takes merchants awhile to recover their funds. Sell too often and you're just going to run out of buyers.
    Yeah, I don't think you were doing it right, Javen.

This man speaks truth. Maxing repair is the best way to make money.

Also to do damage.

naporeon on
    edited April 2010
    The most profitable playthrough is maxing small arms, lockpicking, and repair

Sometimes I trade out lockpicking for something else and console open all the locked things though

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • HalokonHalokon Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I assumed everyone searched every corner of every room compulsively for fear of missing anything.

Yeah, I was the same. My friend has like no bobbleheads... I understand once you get out of the vault it's entirely possible to miss all of them if you just do your own thing, but still. Maybe it was a carry over from being young kids playing Fallout 1 and 2, where haphazard exploration was a sure-fire way to get ravaged.

Halokon on
    edited April 2010
    It's impossible to get every bobblehead unless you get the medicine one in the beginning, anyway

But really who wouldn't meticulously search for every last one?

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Fandyien wrote: »
    It's impossible to get every bobblehead unless you get the medicine one in the beginning, anyway

You get a second chance do you not when
    You go back to the vault after hearing the distress signal.

Had a quick look on the Fallout 3 wiki, and yes indeed, you get a second chance for that mission alone. Wiki Link

Halokon on
  • JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I stopped using Fawkes because he made the game too easy.

I love Fawkes. I let him kill stuff while I look at things and then I assure him that yes, I was being mindful.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
    edited April 2010
    Halokon wrote: »

You go back to the vault after hearing the distress signal

yep

thats when i got it

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Sometimes I trade out lockpicking for something else and console open all the locked things though

Science has more situational applications, but if you just substitute lockpicking in favor of science you're going to be left with many unopened ammo boxes and medical kits

Javen on
    edited April 2010
    Halokon wrote: »

You go back to the vault after hearing the distress signal

I thought about that but I was pretty sure it's gone by then

Though it's been awhile since my last playthrough

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited April 2010
    repair isnt as useful on the 360 version as it is on the pc with mods and being able to repair your own stuff

lockpick and small arms own though

edited April 2010

Science has more situational applications, but if you just substitute lockpicking in favor of science you're going to be left with many unopened ammo boxes and medical kits

Yeah, like I said, I either take lockpicking every time or I cheat to open locked boxes because, frankly, they're fucking essential

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited April 2010
    My small guns, lockpicking, repair, science, and speech were getting the most points early on. I can think of only one speech check that I ever failed.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Jordyn wrote: »
    My small guns, lockpicking, repair, science, and speech were getting the most points early on. I can think of only one speech check that I ever failed.
    I didn't start maxing speech until about my fourth playthrough.

But then, boy howdae...

naporeon on
    edited April 2010
    My first playthrough I maxed speech, sneak, lockpicking, and small arms

Too bad sneak was crap and I never used it, not once. not one single time.

I still beat the game easily with my karma maxed out at good. The hardest playthrough I did was a neutral melee/speech character who was selfish but manipulative enough that people wouldn't notice

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Speech and charisma, plus a bottle of whiskey. And I always take bubblegum when I find it. I like the idea of convincing people to do things while stinking drunk and chewing on a huge wad of 200-year-old gum.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    edited April 2010
    yeah I always got myself addicted to alcohol first thing

so much more fun when you have a dependency on shit

guhhh im gonna have to start a new playthrough tonight

but i just bought just cause 2 dammit

edited April 2010
    oh shit sneeeaaaak.

reverse pickpocketing frag grenades into the pockets of super mutants.

killing people before they even see me.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The only bad part about Fallout 3 is no more DLC. Much like Oblivion, I've pretty much done all there is to do. Freed slaves, taken out aliens, destroyed the Enclave, gotten all the achievements, so the impetus to go back and play from beginning to end again is kinda meh. At least for some time it will be. I suppose at one point I will want to revisit the wasteland, but let's see how F:Las Vegas does.

Also, kinda sucks they took out the whole get better at things by doing stuff mechanic they had in Oblivion. Kinda annoying that I actually had to pump precious points into sneak instead of building up my levels by sneaking around a lot.

The Otaku Suppository on
    edited April 2010
    Another favorite of mine was a drug-addicted sniper/knife expert

Motherfucker was hooked on everything, but man, could he kill shit. Snipe the hell out of it, then knife it or use a small gauge pistol

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited April 2010
    I maxed out speech as early as possible because I just assumed it was as important as persuasion in the kotor titles.

It's not, really.

Javen on
    edited April 2010

I still beat the game easily with my karma maxed out at good. The hardest playthrough I did was a neutral melee/speech character who was selfish but manipulative enough that people wouldn't notice
    Uhhhhhhh...you never used sneak?

Because you're 100% wrong about it being crap.

Maybe it just doesn't suit your style of play.

naporeon on
    edited April 2010
    sneak is tricky to use

so much easier to just run in guns a blazing

hopefully new vegas is a bit harder

edited April 2010
    naporeon wrote: »

Yeah, I'm terrible at being stealthy. I can't even play splinter cell.

I assumed it'd be more akin to the sneak in F2 until I realized somewhat belatedly that this shit is real time and first person.

Honestly, for a generic playthrough, I like small arms/repair/speech/explosives/lockpick in any combination.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I tried a sneaky girl once. It was kind of boring to be honest.

Clint Eastwood on
    edited April 2010
    I use sneak all the fucking time.

It's incredibly useful.

Or you can just get that armor from Operation Anchorage

same end, really

Javen on
    edited April 2010
    I never played OA. After my first playthrough I refused to use armor that I didn't think the character would like even if it was a mega upgrade.

My vigilante used a sniper rifle and a busted up AR to hunt evildoers, wearin' a duster and sunglasses the whole time.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited April 2010
    naporeon wrote: »

Yeah, I'm terrible at being stealthy. I can't even play splinter cell.

I assumed it'd be more akin to the sneak in F2 until I realized somewhat belatedly that this shit is real time and first person.

Honestly, for a generic playthrough, I like small arms/repair/speech/explosives/lockpick in any combination.
    Yeah, I'm pretty terrible at stealth in most games. Don't have the patience.

I found the F3 stealth pretty simple to use, though, and I max it on all my characters.

On high difficulty levels, at least against some opponents, I find that a "guns a-blazin'" entrance strategy is impracticable.

naporeon on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Use the duster, every day.

Clint Eastwood on
    edited April 2010
    My favorite part in the Pitt was
    Kidnapping that baby. Then I took a wrong turn somewhere and ended up on a catwalk where I could either backtrack a bunch of just jump off of it. So I jumped off and yelled "HOLD ON BABY!"

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    edited April 2010
    On higher difficult levels, instead of sneaking like I should be, I shamefully admit I take advantage of some of the less intelligent bits of map design

"oh hello there mega mutant i know you just killed all the dudes outside galaxy radio but too bad you can't enter this little door"

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited April 2010
    On higher difficult levels, instead of sneaking like I should be, I shamefully admit I take advantage of some of the less intelligent bits of map design

"oh hello there mega mutant i know you just killed all the dudes outside galaxy radio but too bad you can't enter this little door"

That's how I killed the one inside the capitol building

Javen on
    edited April 2010

That's how I killed the one inside the capitol building

Yeah, me too.

Now I wanna start another playthrough, I just can't really think of any concepts I haven't done.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited April 2010
    I never played OA. After my first playthrough I refused to use armor that I didn't think the character would like even if it was a mega upgrade.

My vigilante used a sniper rifle and a busted up AR to hunt evildoers, wearin' a duster and sunglasses the whole time.

This was my biggest complaint about FO3 (And alot of RPGs to be honest). The over emphasis of stats on armor, the grouping of all armor to one piece...

Basically anything that make you think about min-maxing things as opposed to just having a look that meshes with your character.

I realise power armor should count for something, but I dislike that once you get it, you are going to look the same for the rest of the play through, DLC excluded.

It was a blessing it was so easy, meant I would sacrifice points for the character to look like what I want...cause I'm a RPtard.

Halokon on
    edited April 2010
    have you done the deathclaw gauntlet only runthrough yet

edited April 2010
    Hah, nope

In fact I've never finished a full melee runthrough, but I'm even more tempted to do an explosives/fisticuffs/small arms guy

He will be huge and black and basically a prize fighter

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg