As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Shin Megami Tensei/Persona]: the Strange Journey is underway. Suit up!

• Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    A fusion accident in the 1st dungeon got me a Pele that to this day I don't know how to get legitimately.

So, not complaining.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think I did get my Pele legitimately, though I can't for the life of me remember how.

She was pretty sweet, I'll admit. Kept her around for a very long time.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I'm seriously considering buying the Strange Journey OST, because the one Atlus gave us is borderline pathetic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIc_lBL4EZw&feature=related

^Best dungeon theme so far, IMO.

I shouldn't hate on a free OST, but I can't think of why they gave out a ~20 minute OST when they could've easily made it twice that.

I was really bothered by that, too. Not only was the bundled OST 20 minutes long but they botched the fucking thing. How pathetic. I've often wondered why they're so stringent, do they expect to make money on official soundtrack sales (lol...) or do they just take themselves too seriously?

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I still think that even with the brainwashing Law has a fairly convincing argument this time around. They certainly brought their A game if you limit the field to just the other three real SMT games.

Lucifer is barely trying.

Oh, all these buddies of mine here are gonna run crazy across the earth like the good old days. Wait, that doesn't sound good? You're blaming us for this black hole? Well, it's your fault we're invading!

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »
    captaink wrote: »
    Also Shadow Kanji is a bastard of a boss fight. That was a hell of a grind.
    I have good news for you, then.

The rest of the game is pathetically easy!

Pretty much this. Once you get past Shadow Kanji, you've cleared the vast majority of the difficulty in the game. Unless you're fusing absolute crap Personas, the rest should be a breeze.

Black Frost in particular will make you set for a good while.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I don't remember the tipping point in P3 being so early. Dang.

it wasn't

P3 had pains in the ass sprinkled liberally throughout

Elendil on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Joule wrote: »
    That reminds me. Devil Survivor's art was far from good, but at least the guy did a variety of artwork and character expressions.

Meguro only did, what, seven character portraits for SJ? And they never change.

Granted, Mastema alone looks cooler than almost anyone from DS.
    (And if I'm not mistaken, he's wearing a Japanese bridal gown!?)

Kaneko you mean?

I do agree some variation in portraits would of been nice. There are a fair amount of new demon designs which makes up for things.

I kinda wish that all of the crewmen with names had portraits. It's strange to have important, story impacting, characters to only be known by their tiny little sprite

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    About Nocturne/Lucifer's Call...

Is it ever explained who or what the Minister at the Cathedral of Shadows is?

Just answer with Yes or No, please.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Fiaryn wrote: »

Pretty much this. Once you get past Shadow Kanji, you've cleared the vast majority of the difficulty in the game. Unless you're fusing absolute crap Personas, the rest should be a breeze.

The 8-bit boss can be a bit of a pain if you're badly prepared.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Xagarath wrote: »

And I've seen people falter on the 6th dungeon boss. And I've heard a few people complain about the fifth dungeon boss.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Elendil wrote: »

I don't remember the tipping point in P3 being so early. Dang.

it wasn't

P3 had pains in the ass sprinkled liberally throughout
    The thing with P3 though is that it was really easy throughout and then there's, like, one Tartarus boss every twenty or thirty floors that is just unreasonably designed.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Time for a Thread As Player's Guide.

Following the Ouroborous fight:
    I see the exclamation points indicating where I need to go to destroy her energy-gatherers, but I've never been to those locations before and I have no idea how to reach them. (I killed the formation of Mandragoras.) I've crawled all over the rest of Eridanus, except for a few tiles in the teleport maze, with no leads. There's about one door I can't find using Gate Search C, and a few I don't have the right unlocker for. Should I head to some other sector and search out better unlockers, or am I completely barking up the wrong tree?

EDIT: Not one second after I post that, I find a hidden door in a spot I swear I'd uncovered. Disregard this cry for help.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kupi wrote: »
    Time for a Thread As Player's Guide.

Following the Ouroborous fight:
    I see the exclamation points indicating where I need to go to destroy her energy-gatherers, but I've never been to those locations before and I have no idea how to reach them. (I killed the formation of Mandragoras.) I've crawled all over the rest of Eridanus, except for a few tiles in the teleport maze, with no leads. There's about one door I can't find using Gate Search C, and a few I don't have the right unlocker for. Should I head to some other sector and search out better unlockers, or am I completely barking up the wrong tree?

EDIT: Not one second after I post that, I find a hidden door in a spot I swear I'd uncovered. Disregard this cry for help.
    You can get to them allwith gate finder C. It should start at the bottom right and go in a huge circle.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    About Nocturne/Lucifer's Call...

Is it ever explained who or what the Minister at the Cathedral of Shadows is?

Just answer with Yes or No, please.

No.

If you want my guess:
    It's a member of some demonic cult that specializes in controlling them.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    That reminds me. Devil Survivor's art was far from good, but at least the guy did a variety of artwork and character expressions.

Kaneko you mean?

I do agree some variation in portraits would of been nice. There are a fair amount of new demon designs which makes up for things.

I kinda wish that all of the crewmen with names had portraits. It's strange to have important, story impacting, characters to only be known by their tiny little sprite

Some of the sprites are well designed. Black Frost's is really good in particular.

If Kaneko did concept art for the rest of the crew, I'd love to see it. (Maybe another Kaneko Works artbook)

Also, finally Law. And now I have no demons to use! :( All my best ones are Chaos now.

And yeah, Mastema is a bit more decent than the Chaos faction. I assumed Lucy was going to be the neutral rep.

Since that Chaos music started playing when she showed up, probably not.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Kaneko you mean?

Also, finally Law. And now I have no demons to use! :( All my best ones are Chaos now.

I know how you feel, I keep switching from Chaos/Neutral every time someone asks me a question, so I never have the right set of demons after any kind of event

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    ShaggyShaggy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Yeah that was me, he kept toying with me letting me think I was going to win then he would strike me down. So I fused Black Frost and rolled over him.

Shaggy on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Shaggy wrote: »

Yeah that was me, he kept toying with me letting me think I was going to win then he would strike me down. So I fused Black Frost and rolled over him.

I never once got killed by the guy, just found he took forever to kill due to that stupid regenerating shell.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Talking to a demon in Antiles for a side quest is being a pain in the butt.

It's not one of the ones that shows up constantly like Kuso, so that's a pain.

I've bumped into him on a Full Moon after removing the Lunatic app, so that made things worse.

You actually have to enter into negotiations for this quest and I've screwed that up a few times.

And when I did succeed in pleasing him, he just gave me a Chakra Drop and ran off.

Oh, and one was pissed when I tried talking to it apparently because I've been killing his kind left and right due to the botched talks.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Is that for the toth quest? Or something else?

Bedlam on
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    No, it's an early EX Mission you can get just for exploring Antiles B2F. I just completed Antiles myself, after finally dragging myself away from 7th Dragon. Still neutral, but then again, I've only had one alignment decision to make, really. My party is completely made up of Law and Chaos Demons... Harpy, Itsumade, and Archangel on the Law side and Oni, Lilim, Pele, and Melchom on the Chaos side. It kind of sucks that my main character (Zachary Strong) can't Co-op with his demons, but it's working out fairly well so far.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Huh, I only ask because I dont remember any quest where talking to the demon wasnt enough. (as in not having to negotiate)

Bedlam on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Neutral really picks up by the end of B and the beginning of C.

Law kinda tails off near the end of the game. Very few special law fusions show up for obvious story reasons.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Damn it, of course Atlus will make me visit the worst sector twice, and make me search every square the second time

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Is that for the toth quest? Or something else?

Part of the Thoth line, yes. He starts mixing it up.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Damn it, of course Atlus will make me visit the worst sector twice, and make me search every square the second time

I really hate that the gate search function requires you to walk around like a moron facing the walls to find them. Should have let it be an area effect, even if it was only one square out in each direction.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I just made a Dragon Long that resists everything but dark : D

And I am probably going to make an awesome Hua Po and level it up with the Demonica stat things.

---

Ended up with Agidyne, Mahama, Void Expel, Void Wind, Stone Breath, Megido.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I started Strange Journey on the weekend and I'm currently about maybe 1/4th of the way through the 3rd sector.
    I'm enjoying it very much aside from the excessive over saving I feel obligated to do. My opinion will probably change later on in the game when things start eating me alive (I think luck is my highest stat :?)

End of Sector B
    I fused up a nice High Pixie with a Suparna source making my team Leanan Sidhe/Suparna/High Pixie for the boss fight. The boss hates Suparna so much that I had to switch to Moh Shuvuu near the end of the fight. Which was a good idea since I was out of mana for healing on Leanan anyways.

Adellios on
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If I've enjoyed Persona 3/4 what are the chances I'd like Strange Journey? All the reviews say it is a throwback to the older SMTs but I've never played them.

Tertiee on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Tertiee wrote: »
    If I've enjoyed Persona 3/4 what are the chances I'd like Strange Journey? All the reviews say it is a throwback to the older SMTs but I've never played them.
    I think it depends on why you liked Persona 3/4.

If you really liked those games for the combat, you'll probably dig Strange Journey.

If you liked 'em for the deep characterisation and Social Linking and whatnot, this may not be your cup o' tea.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I am currently just saved before the last dungeon for the true ending in Persona 4. I haven't entered it yet. Any abilities etc that will come in handy?

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I am currently just saved before the last dungeon for the true ending in Persona 4. I haven't entered it yet. Any abilities etc that will come in handy?
    Nothing other than what you've been doing. The True Ending Dungeon is actually easier than the December Dungeon.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited April 2010
    Same with the boss, too.

Elendil on
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    OK, cool. That dungeon was easy though.

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    P4 is hella easy.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The optional mega boss is barely more challenging than a normal boss.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Tertiee wrote: »

Strange Journey doesn't have nearly as much banter or characterization as the Persona games. It still has plenty of plot and dialogue but DS RPG standards, but there are no hour-long camping events or such.

If you liked the combat and demon-fusion elements of the Persona games, Strange Journey should be right up your alley. If the combat in the Persona games was dull and you just liked the dialogue / characters, Strange Journey probably won't do much for you.

Generally, if you enjoy one SMT game you're probably ok trying out others. I found it easier to go and play the DDS games after playing through the Persona titles, coming back to some of the weirder games in the series with a feel for the rules, conventions, and ideas of the SMT setting helped.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

Did anyone even bother fighting that boss to confirm how easy it was? I never even bothered because of what I had heard.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Gilder wrote: »

Did anyone even bother fighting that boss to confirm how easy it was? I never even bothered because of what I had heard.
    It is so, so easy, Gilder.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited April 2010
    Gilder wrote: »

dude I did it one try, no problems

you've seen my attempt at DDS1's

Elendil on
This discussion has been closed.