As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Shin Megami Tensei/Persona]: the Strange Journey is underway. Suit up!

1565758596062»

• GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So it really is as easy as they said it was. I thought maybe people were forgetting some detail that actually made it slightly difficult when describing it, but I guess they weren't!

Gilder on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    There's like a fifty turn limit, but you really have to half-ass it to get anywhere near it, I think. Death is a harder boss.

Elendil on
  • TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Tertiee wrote: »
    If I've enjoyed Persona 3/4 what are the chances I'd like Strange Journey? All the reviews say it is a throwback to the older SMTs but I've never played them.

Strange Journey doesn't have nearly as much banter or characterization as the Persona games. It still has plenty of plot and dialogue but DS RPG standards, but there are no hour-long camping events or such.

If you liked the combat and demon-fusion elements of the Persona games, Strange Journey should be right up your alley. If the combat in the Persona games was dull and you just liked the dialogue / characters, Strange Journey probably won't do much for you.

I enjoyed the combat system but I'm dead tired of it after playing the same one for some 150+ hours over 2 games. Does Strange Journey's combat offer enough differences/variety to make it feel fresh for the game's entirety?

Tertiee on
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Tertiee wrote: »
    I enjoyed the combat system but I'm dead tired of it after playing the same one for some 150+ hours over 2 games. Does Strange Journey's combat offer enough differences/variety to make it feel fresh for the game's entirety?
    Well... the big difference is that exploiting enemy weaknesses doesn't give you more turns. Instead, demons on your team with the same alignment will automatically perform an extra, free attack. The more demons on the team that share the same alignment as the one who exploited the enemy weakness, the stronger the extra attack.

So... yeah. Combat is mostly the same, but now you gotta take alignment into account as well. Which you didn't need to do in Persona because that game didn't have alignments at all.

WotanAnubis on
  • TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Having weaknesses isn't crippling anymore. It hurts, but it's not life ending unless it's a weakness to mudo or hama.

To make up for this, some of the later bosses seem to hit really, really hard. I've only played through parts of Sector F, but it seems like Atlus put the brass knuckles on in Sector E.

Also, fusion is a lot less frustrating. Getting those perfect skill inheritances is a lot easier with the use of Demon Sources, though inheritance can be rather limited when not using sources.

Also, my alignment is now dancing between law and neutral with every decision. I'd rather stay neutral so I can make proper use of my new Black Rider.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh man, I just love bosses who are able to arbitrarily heal themselves and cancel stat boosts at the same time.

So, am I missing something, or... (mid-sector F spoilers)
    Am I missing something about the fight with Jack? Is there someway to make him stop ever using Pure Blues, or does he just get to say "fuck you" at random and that's the end of it? I could bring gun-resistant or gun-nulling demons, but I don't think they'd do nearly enough damage to kill him between heals.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    But what about gun REFLECTING? :P

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • DamagemanualDamagemanual Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Excuse me if this is a dumb question, but how do I tell what alignment I am? I can see my demon alignments but can't seem to find any place in the menu for my guy.

Damagemanual on
    3DS Friend Code: 0301-9784-2762
    Pokemon White: 3353-4309-8670

(PM me if you add please)
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The color of your name

Light Blue = Law
    White = Neutral
    Redish Pink = Chaos

Zerokku on
  • JouleJoule Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    But what about gun REFLECTING? :P

Yeah pretty much this will speed things up a lot.

This one floor of Sector H's darkness filled areas are pretty ass because they're all like 3x3 rooms which go nowhere.

Joule on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    P4 is hella easy.

For a Shin Megami Tensei game. That still puts it at above average difficulty for an RPG in general.

RainbowDespair on
  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    P4 is hella easy.

For a Shin Megami Tensei game. That still puts it at above average difficulty for an RPG in general.

If you play through on Expert on your first playthrough, the first boss and the first bonus boss can be remarkably brutal. The first bonus boss can one-hit kill the MC from full health on Expert.

I've found that the most difficult SMT games are the ones you play first. Once you've figured out the game's logic the combat system becomes much more bearable.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • DamagemanualDamagemanual Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Zerokku wrote: »
    The color of your name

Light Blue = Law
    White = Neutral
    Redish Pink = Chaos

Ah! Thanks!

Damagemanual on
    3DS Friend Code: 0301-9784-2762
    Pokemon White: 3353-4309-8670

(PM me if you add please)
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    P4 is hella easy.

If you play through on Expert on your first playthrough, the first boss and the first bonus boss can be remarkably brutal. The first bonus boss can one-hit kill the MC from full health on Expert.

I've found that the most difficult SMT games are the ones you play first. Once you've figured out the game's logic the combat system becomes much more bearable.

and most recent SMT games have a descending difficulty curve, too

the real ball-busting boss tends to come early, but by the mid- and endgame you've just got too many options for any well-designed enemy to circumvent

persona 2 was the last one i can remember to try and totally wreck you with bosses towards the end, but even nocturne eased off after the matador

Rust on
  • Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kupi wrote: »
    Oh man, I just love bosses who are able to arbitrarily heal themselves and cancel stat boosts at the same time.

So, am I missing something, or... (mid-sector F spoilers)
    Am I missing something about the fight with Jack? Is there someway to make him stop ever using Pure Blues, or does he just get to say "fuck you" at random and that's the end of it? I could bring gun-resistant or gun-nulling demons, but I don't think they'd do nearly enough damage to kill him between heals.
    Tetrakern or attack mirrors will fuck him the hell up. Also, remember that while he can cancel your debuffs, you can still buff yourself like crazy. What I did was kill off his lackys fast, buff my guys to max, and start spamming acid breath while throwing everything I have at him immediately after he does his heal. I also threw an attack mirror on my dudes, but I killed him before he even attacked. Buffalo-head's alternate form, the fire statue thing (I forget the name), comes with a multi-heavy-hit phys attacks that completely destroys him. If you get all five hits on him it's well over 800 damage in one attack.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
    edited April 2010
    P3's final boss was a pain in the ass, though really only because of the reliance on party AI

Elendil on
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Elendil wrote: »
    P3's final boss was a pain in the ass, though really only because of the reliance on party AI

that one doesn't count!
    seriously, a boss that you can totally breeze through until it kills you in two attacks

just those two

sterling design there, guys

it doesn't help that you'd have to be crazy to not bring along at least one teammate with (me)diarahan

Rust on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Rust wrote: »

that one doesn't count!
    seriously, a boss that you can totally breeze through until it kills you in two attacks

just those two

it doesn't help that you'd have to be crazy to not bring along at least one teammate with (me)diarahan
    I don't think it's actually possible to bring a full team that doesn't include some form of healing.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    edited April 2010

Just bring Akihiko, Aegis and Yukari. All on Support. Problem solved.

Joule on
  • ShaggyShaggy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Rust wrote: »

that one doesn't count!

just those two

Oh how that boss pissed me off. I dominated everything up until that point (including more or less the Reaper), and then I get here.
    Starts off easy enough, in fact I blew through all of the arcana changes until death. Then death isn't even that bad but it takes a bit to bring Nyx's health down so the fight can take awhile. Then that attack that does all those status effects as well as hurt you. What's that Yukari, you don't deem it important enough to heal MC, just yourself? Well thanks, here's your reward. Gameover.

Shaggy on
    edited April 2010
    Joule wrote: »

Until he charms them and they heal him to full

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited April 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Joule wrote: »

Until he charms them and they heal him to full

This is why Yukari has Charmdi. :P

Really though on my first and second attempt at the last boss with that team, once the last phase of the boss kicked in, I think my allies only got to attack once every 3 turns. It was just endless amounts of buff/debuff/samarecarm with a mediarahan/diarahan every once in awhile. The AI worked pretty well in that lengthy attrition strategy.

Joule on
    edited April 2010
    she does?

that's funny, because I've never seen her use it

Elendil on
    edited April 2010
    She doesn't use it. Ever.

It may be bugged or something.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited April 2010
    Why would she bother with that when she can use Wind Break, the clearly superior move for any situation.

Gilder on
  • TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    She spent the better part of the last year shooting herself in the face. She can't be blamed for some odd behaviour.

All that Ice Break is unforgivable, though. Jesus Christ Mitsuru, what is wrong with you?
    I know I know, Full Assault or doing it wrong

Edit: Aww, Gilder, you beat me to the Element Break bitching!

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
    edited April 2010
    Ice Break is perfectly fine if the enemy actually has a resistance to it. How else is she going to do damage.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited April 2010
    Main: Mitsuru..... need...... health..... heal... me.....

Mitsuru: Don't worry, I got this shit. 8-)

Ice Break!

8-)

Game Over

Gilder on
    edited April 2010
    If you're relying on Mitsuru for heals you're probably screwed anyway. :P

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Double Down is even better then sources because you can eventually get some truely broken shit on some demons.

Especially onces with very good base resistences so you don't have to waste too many slots putting voids on them.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
This discussion has been closed.