As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Green Lantern: DCnU-style

RansRans Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in Graphic Violence
The DCU reboots in September, however Green Lantern seems to be spared from any serious retcons. Meaning, the Geoff Johns-led stuff from the last 6 years still counts and we'll figure out the rest as we go along.

There will be four titles in the Green Lantern family of books.

20102_400x600.jpg
Green Lantern (starring Sinestro and Hal Jordan)

20103_400x600.jpg
Green Lantern Corps (starring Guy Gardner and John Stewart)

NewGuardians01covercolor2_aksdjfhalsd8f7l.jpg
Green Lantern: The New Guardians (starring Kyle Rayner)

20105_400x600.jpg
Red Lanterns (starring Atrocitus)

Old OP
14477_400x600.jpg

Brightest Day is a 26-issue year-long twice-a-month series chronicling.... whatever happened at the end of Blackest Night! This story is going to crossover into a bunch of ongoing titles and now it looks like we're going to have one shots also!

This series will alternate weeks with the other twice-a-month series Justice League: Generation Lost. JL:GL will also carry the Brightest Day banner and is a part of the overall Brightest Day storyline.

Blackest Night thread is almost to 100 and Brightest Day #0 comes out tomorrow so I figured it is time to move on.

Brightest Day titles

Brightest Day
Justice League: Generation Lost
Green Lantern
Green Lantern Corps
Green Arrow
The Flash
Birds of Prey
Titans
Justice League of America

Brightest Day Checklist Part 1
APRIL
Brightest Day #0
Green Lantern #53
Green Lantern Corps #47
The Flash #1
Justice League of America #44

MAY
Brightest Day #1-#2
Justice League: Generation Lost #1-#2
Green Lantern #54
Green Lantern Corps #48
The Flash #2
Justice League of America #45
Titans: Villains for Hire Special #1
Birds of Prey #1

JUNE
Brightest Day #3-#4
Justice League: Generation Lost #3-#4
Green Lantern #55
Green Lantern Corps #49
The Flash #3
Justice League of America #46
Titans #24
Birds of Prey #2
Green Arrow #1

Rans on

• RansRans Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Atom-Special-cover_02.jpg

Brightest Day: The Atom one-shot in July followed by a regular Atom second feature in Adventure Comics

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/Atom-Special-100413.html

Rans on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Thanks for making this Rans. Saved me the trouble of doing it.

Lucascraft on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It's weird to see heroes and villains in a group shot, more so when half of them have the same face.

Robos A Go Go on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm not particularly fond of that cover. Something about it seems a little less...modern to me than most covers. Maybe its the coloring. It seems really flat. Looks more like something we'd see from the earlier part of the 2000s or late 90s.

Lucascraft on
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It's weird to see heroes and villains in a group shot, more so when half of them have the same face.
    it seems like there are 4 faces. angry hawkman, flash, and other guy, and pensive lady.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    According to my friend, Professor Zoom time-travels. Why in the world would you bother bringing him back to life when you could just have him zoom on in anyway?

Also I like that in the big "Bring people back to life" event, they brought back some villains with powers and even motivations that I'm pretty sure are duplicated elsewhere, Deadman, and Hawkman who was only killed in Blackest Night. I guess it's nice that Martian Manhunter is back, he always seemed kind of neat.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    edited April 2010
    Rans on
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Excellent.

I cant wait to see how the Deadman stuff plays out.

ManetherenWolf on
    edited April 2010
    I don't like how his old face turned into a mask and his old costume is now a costume over another costume colored like his old skin.

Robos A Go Go on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Be fair, he hasn't caught much sunshine for a while

Wildcat on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited April 2010
    I kind of have a thing for Firestorm so I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with him.

DMAC on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    More comics should start with baby animals cracking their skulls open against tombstones, and superheroes talking about their achy knees.

Munch on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    More comics should start with baby animals cracking their skulls open against tombstones, and superheroes talking about their achy knees.

It takes alot to make me cry Munch. Bravo.

As for Firestorn: I used to have Fury Of Firestorm # 1 - Day of the Bison
    I would love to see him return to his own book, and would suggest they keep him fighting Native American sterotypes. It's a formula that works, don't ask me why.
    660302-black_bison_01_super.jpg

Caveman Paws on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2010
    I don't like how his old face turned into a mask and his old costume is now a costume over another costume colored like his old skin.

Well, Deadman was Boston Brand's circus character. He wore make-up to look like a corpse and do death-defying stunts.

In Nightwing: Year One, Boston's brother takes up the "mantle" in Haley's Circus and he wears a mask that looks like Deadman

Garlic Bread on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    At least the little birdie got to live......hopefully. And it doesn't turn out to be something like Pet Sematary.

TexiKen on
    edited April 2010
    Keith wrote: »

Well, Deadman was Boston Brand's circus character. He wore make-up to look like a corpse and do death-defying stunts.

In Nightwing: Year One, Boston's brother takes up the "mantle" in Haley's Circus and he wears a mask that looks like Deadman

Oh, thanks for the explanation. That's a neat bit of continuity, then.

Robos A Go Go on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Shouldn't Brightest Day #0 have been a FCBD issue? I know DC has the War of the Supermen issue 0 for FCBD but I thought this event would be of more importance.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I kind of agree with that, they should have done some BN fallout issues before moving on right to Brightest Day. Such as the love triangle between Jade, Kyle, and Sinestro's kid. Two elements to the Firestorm entity where one blames the other for his girlfriend's death. And so on . . .

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
    edited April 2010
    Bi-weekly means once every two weeks, not twice a week.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited April 2010
    Yeah I just realized that hence my deleted post. I was trying not to make myself sound too stupid.

wirehead26 on
  • Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    52 weeks in a year / 2 =26 not 13

Magna Inferno on
    ultimates-1.png
    edited April 2010
    Yeah the whole "bi-weekly" thing always gets me confused for some reason.

wirehead26 on
    edited April 2010
    apparently this isn't even a true bi-weekly but instead just twice a month, if june is any indication

Rans on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2010
    Rans wrote: »
    apparently this isn't even a true bi-weekly but instead just twice a month, if june is any indication

That's weird. Especially since it alternates Brightest Day and Generation Lost. Neither come out on June 30th

(my birthday)

Garlic Bread on
    edited April 2010
    Thou Shalt Not Have Weekly Comics on Saint Keith's Holy Day

Rans on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Keith wrote: »
    Rans wrote: »

That's weird. Especially since it alternates Brightest Day and Generation Lost. Neither come out on June 30th

(my birthday)

dc comics hates you

dan didio told me

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Brightest Day #0 was a good start to... something!

Pasarin's art didn't grate on me like it usually does. It looks like he's improved a lot since his mediocre ION fill-in days.
    I got serious 52 vibes from this issue in terms of tone, pace, and storytelling. It seems we'll have the Mystery of the Twelve for awhile and Deadman is at the center of it all with the White Ring constantly asking him to help it live (the white entity maybe?).

The issue is spent with Deadman visiting each of the resurrected heroes and we get an idea of where they are in coming to terms with being alive again. Presumably some of their stories split off into the other books while some remain as main characters in Brightest Day. It seems like it could be fun. There's enough Lantern presence to keep my interested so I think I'm in for the long haul.

Rans on
    edited April 2010
    The J'onn stuff = good

The Jade stuff = good (nice speech by Kyle)

The Captain Boomerang stuff = laughable

The Firestorm stuff = just being dickish for the sake of the plot

TexiKen on
    edited April 2010
    yeah uh was Ronnie always a dumb drunk fratboy?

because, i gotta say, not digging his return right now

Rans on
    edited April 2010
    i didn't even know ronnie was a teen hero

i think i've read maybe two stories with Ronnie Firestorm in it

Garlic Bread on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I have one issue of Ronnie's Firestorm series, and that's only because it has the first appearance of Blue Devil in it.

But Ronnie was prominent in Extreme Justice, and later played a big role in Jason's series for an arc, and he always acted like a reformed meathead. Like, he was kind of a dumb guy but with a good heart, and he'd been at the hero-ing thing long enough to become good at it.

I'm glad I'm staying away from Brightest Day, as I'm sure it would just annoy me.

Munch on
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    The J'onn stuff = good

Are you kidding me? The conversation basically went like this,
    jade2.jpg

I don't know what to make of all this. First I was dead, then I'm alive again. Everyone I know moved on with their lives. My body was used to kill good people. It's all too much. I'm so confused and lost. I just don't know what to do anymore. I need help. I need guidance. I nee-

kylek.jpg

Jade, you were in our hearts, which means you didn't really die. Not really. Go open doors.

jadeq.jpg

What? No, I meant, I feel like nothing matters anymore. The whole world is spinning and spinning and it won't stop. Why me?! Who decided I was more deserving than anyone else?! I killed people. No one seems to understand that. No one listens. It's like they're ignoring my wo-

kylek.jpg

You were a weapon of love!

jadet.jpg

kylek.jpg

Anyway, let's forget the past. It's all about the present!

TeaSpoon on
    edited April 2010
    There was an issue in the JLA Obsidian Age story where Ronnie fell asleep studying and his roommate drew on his face (and then Batman's little T-sphere knockoff appeared and told him to join the JLA), which made me always think he was a good kid just trying to juggle heroing and getting an education.
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »
    The J'onn stuff = good

Are you kidding me? The conversation basically went like this,
    jade2.jpg

I don't know what to make of all this. First I was dead, then I'm alive again. Everyone I know moved on with their lives. My body was used to kill good people. It's all too much. I'm so confused and lost. I just don't know what to do anymore. I need help. I need guidance. I nee-

kylek.jpg

Jade, you were in our hearts, which means you didn't really die. Not really. Go open doors.

jadeq.jpg

What? No, I meant, I feel like nothing matters anymore. The whole world is spinning and spinning and it won't stop. Why me?! Who decided I was more deserving than anyone else?! I killed people. No one seems to understand that. No one listens. It's like they're ignoring my wo-

kylek.jpg

You were a weapon of love!

jadet.jpg

kylek.jpg

Anyway, let's forget the past. It's all about the present!
    People's love for Jade is what let their guard down for BL Jade to (unsuccessfully) get some beating hearts.

Plus the little scene with Soranik marking her territory around Jade, that was a nice little scene. Not too catty, but enough to make it a good scene.

TexiKen on
  • PookieMan357PookieMan357 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Munch wrote: »

It takes alot to make me cry Munch. Bravo.

As for Firestorn: I used to have Fury Of Firestorm # 1 - Day of the Bison
    I would love to see him return to his own book, and would suggest they keep him fighting Native American sterotypes. It's a formula that works, don't ask me why.
    660302-black_bison_01_super.jpg

I read that page and immediately said, "Bam ba lam."

PookieMan357 on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I like that Brightest Day feels like they're making some specific direction shifts for certain characters, although a few of them seem random (Star forest.)

And fuck Ronnie Raymond.

Lux on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Lux wrote: »
    I like that Brightest Day feels like they're making some specific direction shifts for certain characters, although a few of them seem random (Star forest.)

I thought that was weird too, until I saw the Green Arrow ad in the back of Brightest Day #0 and was all 'oh crap! They gave him his own Sherwood!'

And I'm pretty sure the forest will have some significance re.: the life entity later on.
    I'm curious as to what's going on with characters like Jade and Aquaman, who don't seem to have completely shaken off their Black Lantern status. As if Nekron still has a grip on their souls and is trying to claw his way back into the universe through them.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    brighest day better end up just being about deadman. because. i love me some deadman.

projectmayhem on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This is a bad comic.

It could be good, if Aliveman started solving crimes with his power of being alive. Just all self-narrating "I need to use my physicality to open this door and by god if I can not possess this person hard enough I think I'll have the case wrapped!"

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    edited April 2010
    Preview of GREEN LANTERN #53
    gl_cv53_ds-copy.jpg

i wonder who this new mysterious dude is. probably the one that is stealing the entities?

Rans on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hmm, I figured we'd be done with sinister figures in black robes and ancient prophecies for a while, but I guess there's more to come.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png