As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SIGNUPS CLOSED] Vampire: The Phalla Masquerade

cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm RegentBears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
edited October 2008 in Critical Failures
LAN.png

Los Angeles. The city that never sleeps. One of them, anyway.

It never was a city blessed with orderly conduct. But in these dark nights, the region is especially chaotic, even for California.

The recent death of (former) Prince LaCroix has thrown the city and its surrounding territories into madness. The Camarilla, Sabbat, Anarchs, and Kuei-Jin alike are at each other's throats for whatever piece of turf they can get, with no clear way of determining a superior faction.
There didn't even seem to be any hope of a clear successor, with LaCroix's Seneschal destroyed, and the Primogen scattered.

Order needed to be restored, and immediately.

That remained Sebastian's primary goal, above all else. Even were he not the eldest Ventrue left in the city, it was the obligation of any proper Camarilla. If the conflicts went on unchecked, the Masquerade was doomed.

The plan was a risky one, but it had to succeed. Maybe if they all came to an agreement, peace could still be restored before the lot of them were reduced to scattered piles of ash beneath the sun.

Countless letters. All meticulously written, signed, and sealed with the blood insignia of the Camarilla. They had to know he meant business. The letters were to reach the representatives of any and all clans that they could. For a peaceful gathering, of course. The last thing anyone needed was more bloodshed, even if less rational parties seemed to desire it.

Elysium would be held again, and perhaps upon reaching a common ground, a new Prince could even be elected. Certainly, a Ventrue would be an ideal choice. No coincedence, that.

Sebastian waved a hand, and the ghoul departed to do his bidding.

The invitations were sent out. All that remained was to see who would arrive for the party.

Background

Vampire: The Masquerade takes place in modern times, only in what's called the World of Darkness. Vampires not only exist, but they've developed elaborate societies and organizations to keep their existence hidden from the uninformed human masses, who would easily outnumber and destroy all of the Kindred if they ever learned the truth.

This is where the Masquerade comes into play: a faction of Kindred(the term by which vampires refer themselves) known as the Camarilla maintain a strict series of rules to keep vampiric society in check, and keep humankind unaware of their existence.

The Camarilla is primarily made up of seven clans, though any seeking to gather under the Camarilla's banner are welcome to join, regardless of their heritage.

Though, not all Kindred see things the way the Camarilla do.

Their main opposition lies in a organization called The Sabbat: Kindred who believe humans should be treated like cattle, and not be feared. Sabbat are generally vicious, chaotic creatures, who hold no compassion or regard for humans or even fellow Kindred. Far less organized than the Camarilla, Sabbat packs are generally kept in check through fear and blood bondings rather than any real sense of loyalty.

The Sabbat are lead by the Lasombra, with a large amount of membership coming from their clan as well as the Tzimisce's, though several Sabbat come from independant clans and even Camarilla factions who chose to side with the Sabbat.

The Sabbat seek to completely destroy the Camarilla, and will not stop until they have all been reduced to ash, or joined their numbers(provided they're even given the chance, which is rare).

There are also several independent factions with their own goals and ideals, though their roles in this game will be comparatively limited.

Rules

The majority of players will be of the Camarilla faction: the 'good' side, while the bad side are made up of Sabbat.

Each player will be assigned a clan that (may) determine their allegiance, as well as whether or not they'll be playing a Special.

There are also independent roles, similarly determined by clan, with their own special abilities.

The Sabbat are allowed one kill per evening(tentative), while the Camarilla have two chances to catch the Sabbat: through voting, and through their Prince.

The Prince will be decided through voting on the first night. After this, he remains Prince until forcibly removed from power, or killed. The Prince may execute one player of his choosing per evening. In the event of the Prince's sudden death, the player who received the next closest amount of votes(his Seneschal) becomes Prince in his stead.

Seers, Guardians, and Family are all Camarilla-exclusive specials, tied to specific clans, to be elaborated on below.

The Vigilantes in this game are members of the Assamite clan: elite Kindred assassins with ties to neither faction, who work for the highest bidder. They each receive one kill per evening.

Lastly, there will be a single Kindred, a Giovanni, with the (limited) ability to determine the identity of a victim's murderer once every two evenings.

The game will be over when either the Camarilla or Sabbat have been completely eliminated.
(If the Assamites are still alive at this point, the game will continue until either they, or the remaining faction, has been destroyed.)

These are the basic rules.

Details on each of the specific clans, and the specials found within the Camarilla, follow.
(Spoilered for length)

The Clans

The Camarilla
coolankh.gif

Ventrue
VentrueSceptre.gif

The founding clan of the Camarilla. Born leaders, naturally gifted at commanding lesser Kindred to do their bidding. Ventrue do not betray the Camarilla, and they maintain strict awareness of their fellow clansmen.

Ventrue players function as a family, and are aware of the other Ventrue players.

Tremere
TremereSymbol.gif

Sometimes called Warlocks by other Kindred. Both feared and distrusted, the Tremere are reported to have become Kindred not through means of the Embrace like most vampires, but through usage of their clan's elaborate knowledge of blood magic. Kindred adopted into the Tremere clan are partially bounded to the clan's elders upon inception. Tremere do not betray the Tremere, and any who try are destroyed without fail.

Tremere players function as a family of their own, aware of other Tremere players.

Brujah
BrujahA.gif

As the image may suggest, the Brujah fill a popular role in vampiric existence: the rebel. Brujah tend to disregard leadership, and many of their clan tend not to follow the Camarilla at all, instead functioning as Anarchs(Kindred who seek complete free will from any kind of leadership). However, most still maintain close ties with the Camarilla, and many Brujah seem to be far more clever and informed than their frequently violent, sociopathic demeanors suggest.

Toreador
ToreadorRose.gif

Toreador are the types of vampires you may be used to in stereotypical fiction and media: the artists, the goths, the ones who treat vampirism not as a curse, but as a never ending celebration. Toreador enjoy undead existence more than most, and this makes them the most despised of Kindred among those who don't view being undead as something to be treated lightly(particularly the Nosferatu).

Malkavian
MalkavianMirror.gif

The Malkavian's alternate title says it all: other Kindred refer to them as the Lunatics. Every Malkavian is cursed with an incurable insanity. This insanity can be anything from unstoppable homicidal tendencies to near catatonia. However, in addition to their lunacy, Malkavians are also gifted with insight to the inner workings of reality and existence.

Malkavians operate as a special breed of 'Seer': at random during the course of the game, Malkavian players will receive PMs of insight through their connection to the Malkavian Madness Network. How this information will deliver itself and even be shared, if at all, is anyone's guess.

Nosferatu
Nosferatu.jpg

The most cursed of all Kindred, even for vampires. Nosferatu are disfigured beyond repair upon their Embrace, so much that they can't be seen in mortal society for fear of immediately breaching the Masquerade upon sight. As a result, Nosferatu keep to their shadows, and more often than not, to themselves. They maintain ties with the Camarilla for their own unknown ends, while the Camarilla keep the Nosferatu around for their unmatched information network, though most would sooner have them stay in the sewers where they belong.

Nosferatu are this game's true 'Seers': once per evening, a Nosferatu can determine a player's clan/allegiance.

Gangrel
GangrelWolf.gif

Most bestial and feral of all Kindred, the Gangrel are expert survivalists. They know how to survive outside the cities that most Kindred exclusively rely on for their havens, so they are usually the first ones to escape bad situations unscathed. Why they maintain ties with the Camarilla is anyone's guess, but some believe it's because without the Masquerade kept intact, the Gangrel have little to no chance of staying unnoticed by human society.

The Gangrel clan function as 'Guardians': once per evening, a Gangrel can defend any Kindred from death. (This will not prevent him from being a target himself, however.)

The Sabbat
Sabbat.gif

Lasombra
Lasombra.jpg

The Ventrue to the Sabbat, in short, but the Lasombra have far darker ties than their Camarilla counterparts. Lasombra can physically manipulate the shadows, and strive to lead the Kindred of the Sabbat not only to subjugate humankind and erase the Camarilla from the face of the earth, but to seek out and eliminate the Antediluvians(the eldest of Kindred, rumored to be locked in centuries of slumber) before they rise up and devour the lesser Kindred.

Tzimisce
Tzimisce.jpg

The Tzimisce aren't simply feared by the Camarilla: even fellow Sabbat dread the shapeshifting abilities of the Fiends. Tzimisce possess a unique ability called Vicissitude, or fleshcrafting, and use their discipline not only to create nightmarish beasts for the armies of the Sabbat, but to inflict suffering and boundless torture on whatever creature(human, kindred, or otherwise) unfortunate enough to fall into their grasp. The Tzimisce don't regard such treatments as cruel, however: it's merely a form of science to them. Most even find pleasure in it.

Antitribu
A phrase used to classify clans that have betrayed their natural faction, such as a Gangrel joining the Sabbat, or a Tzimisce joining the Camarilla(though far, far less Sabbat ever betray their faction; most don't survive such an effort).

Independents

Assamites
ASSAMITESsymbol.gif

Middle-Eastern Kindred, and gifted vampiric assassins without peer. Assamites have no ties to any Cainite faction, they merely offer their services to the highest bidder. However, the true objective of the Assamites is to destroy all the Get of Khayin(Caine, the biblical figure who was the first vampire in V:TM lore), and deliver their blood to Assam(the Assamite elder), for the glory of Allah.

Assamites are neutral vigilantes. Each Assamite player receives one kill per evening.
The Assamites will win the game if both factions are wiped out.
Additionally, the Assamites are aware of each other's presence.

Giovanni
giovannisymbol.jpg

The Giovanni are relied upon as completely neutral Kindred to be used in mediating any business transaction. As such, the Giovanni are rarely regarded in cross-faction conflicts, and trusted even less. Their professional appearances as masters of finance and business are merely a front for their darker ties: sometimes referred to as Graverobbers, the Giovanni are gifted Necromancers, capable of manipulating the dead to do their bidding.

Giovanni can confer with the departed souls of deceased, known as Wraiths, and learn their secrets through means both peaceful and brutal. Not all Wraiths are willing to part with their knowledge, however, and the mysteries of the other side can contain terrors even the Giovanni prefer to leave be.

However the Giovanni decides to use his knowledge, if at all, is up to him. The family's loyalties lie where they'll prove most profitable.

The Giovanni doesn't care for the conflict between the Camarilla and Sabbat, and will side with whichever faction proves victorious.

The Kuei-Jin
kj-sign3.jpg

Mysterious Asian Kindred. So little is known about this reclusive faction, most vampires don't even know they exist. Of course, the Kindred of the East like it this way.

Those in the know, however, whisper fearful rumors of the Kuei-Jin's pacts with demons, and abilities that far transcend those of any creature, mortal or Kindred.

The role of the Kuei-Jin in this game, if any, remains to be seen.

Roster
1. V2-Gundam
2. DevoutlyApathetic
3. Grundlterror
4. GrimmyTOA
5. Buzz Buzz
6. Bliss 101
7. Drez
8. Nerissa
9. Saburbia
10. Oboro
11. jdarksun
12. xanathos
13. Plutonium
14. Locus
15. Zerinan
16. Hylianbunny
17. Kilnaga
18. Shamus
19. Abysmal Lynx
20. doug_grammar
21. robothero
22. Digger Dude
23. Gnasty
24. EvilBadman
25. frandelgearslip
26. Celebrim
27. Scosglen
28. Frosteey
29. OtakuD00D
30. Voranth
31. Senor Fish
32. Abraham F. Hawk
33. Unearthly Stew
34. Serpent
35. Ardor
36. DarkPrimus
37. Last Son
38. BitterOldMan
39. INeedNoSalt
40. telcus
41. Squashua
42. Cantide
43. tuxkamen
44. TehSpectre
45. PsychoLarry1
46. Saint Justice
47. Munkus Beaver

Once the list is finalized, I'll be determing the players' clans via random number generator.

This will also determine how many of each faction and Special there will be, but the loose template is as follows:
16-24+ Camarilla

4-6+ Sabbat

4-6 Family - Ventrue/Tremere, only within their respective clan(2-3 of each).

2-4 Seers - Nosferatu/Malkavian(limited) (2 of each)

1-2 Guardians/Gangrel

1-2 Vigilantes/Assamites

1 Giovanni

The roles are being worked on, and PMs will go out momentarily. The game will begin soon thereafter.

Good hunting.

wVEsyIc.png
cj iwakura on

• V2-GundamV2-Gundam Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'll join. I died way to early in the last one.

V2-Gundam on
    Stand Up To the Victory!
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So you have 2 to 4 roles without any defined victory conditions?

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The Camarilla win when the Sabbat are gone, and vice-versa. I could have sworn I put that in there somewhere...

I bolded it for clarification, if that helps.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited April 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    The Camarilla win when the Sabbat are gone, and vice-versa. I could have sworn I put that in there somewhere...

The Assamites, Giovanni and (possibly) Asian kindred have no stated win conditions.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, I forgot to clarify that part.

Fixed. TL;DR: if either faction is destroyed, they leave the conflict.

There was going to be an Anarch role with a separate win condition, but I decided the conversion factor would be too complicated, and likely unpopular as well.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited April 2007
    Hmm...I'm really leery of the potential for people being massive spoilers but I suppose that's a reason to be more active in the hosting thread...

I'll sign up.

We shall see if this works out, otherwise you'll get a stern glowering from me! I know how much that will hurt you.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'll sign up :)

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'll sign up too. Hopefully the neutral/cryptics aren't the only ones who have a good time. :P

GrimmyTOA on
  • Buzz BuzzBuzz Buzz Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'll sign up.

Wow, the baddies only get one kill per night? I don't know about you, but this game looks pretty weighted towards the village. We get two kills (assuming we don't vote a Sabbat into the Princehood), while they only get one? I can't honestly see the independents siding with the Sabbat unless there are hidden Sabbat powers that we aren't aware of. But hey, since probability states that I'll likely be a good guy, that's no problem for me. :P

Also, do all families know who's in them, or only the Ventrue and Tremere? I think it's just the Ventrue and Tremere, but I figured I'd ask to make completely sure.

Buzz Buzz on
  • Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I still don't get it. Do you mean that the goal of the neutrals is to kill either one of the factions: when one is dead, you have accomplished your goal in the game?

In any case I'll !sign up.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm !signing up.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I conditionally !sign up on the assumption this is going to be 40 players or less. If the total number goes over 45, though, I'm going to have to drop out. :(

Nerissa on
  • Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'll sign up.

Need a phalla game and have no idea when the one in D&D is starting again.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    !sign up

Oboro on
    words
  • xanathosxanathos Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I !sign up

xanathos on
    "Our will requires an aim; it would sooner have the void for its purpose than be void of purpose" - Friedrich Nietzsche from The Genealogy of Morals, 1887.

"All memory of your existence will be wiped from reality. You will die, and no one will mourn." - Memnarch
  • PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I !Sign up

Plutonium on
  • LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I thought the D&D game would have started by now.

I !sign up
    and whatnot.

Locus on
  • ZerinanZerinan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'll sign up for this

This looks like it will be a very interesting game. And I'm really hoping that I'll be a Malkavian, because they are the faction I mainly play in the actual game, and it's a blast to be insane. But I may drop out of the sign ups if this gets to be to big, because I don't think I could keep up with one as big as the Voyage to Phalla while actually involved with it. Plus school will prevent me from keeping up as well. So I apologize in advance if I am a bit inactive at times. I hope my first game is a good one.

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
  • HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    in. in. IN!

I !sign up!

Hylianbunny on
  • KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I !sign up as well

Kilnaga on
    "The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I !sign up.

No Ravnos? :cry:

Looks awesome, though.

Shamus on
  • Abysmal LynxAbysmal Lynx Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I !sign up

Maybe this will inspire me to finish Bloodlines.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2007
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    I still don't get it. Do you mean that the goal of the neutrals is to kill either one of the factions: when one is dead, you have accomplished your goal in the game?

Basically, yes. They'll just side with the winning faction.

As an afterthought, the Assamites could strive for a victory if they're the only ones left(they certainly wouldn't mind wiping out all the factions), but I wasn't sure if that was a fair enough outcome for them.
    (Adjusted their victory conditions, tentatively. I came up with all of this way too early in the morning, so apologies if there's obvious flaws like that here and there.)

The Giovanni will definitely be done if one of the two is wiped out.
    Buzz Buzz wrote:
    Wow, the baddies only get one kill per night? I don't know about you, but this game looks pretty weighted towards the village. We get two kills (assuming we don't vote a Sabbat into the Princehood), while they only get one? I can't honestly see the independents siding with the Sabbat unless there are hidden Sabbat powers that we aren't aware of. But hey, since probability states that I'll likely be a good guy, that's no problem for me.

Also, do all families know who's in them, or only the Ventrue and Tremere? I think it's just the Ventrue and Tremere, but I figured I'd ask to make completely sure.

A good deal of this is flexible based on turn out. If there's a good enough amount of players, the Sabbat might get a second kill, so we'll see how that goes.

Tremere are only aware of Tremere, and Ventrue are only aware of Ventrue.
    Shamus wrote:
    No Ravnos?

If only. :P (Bias)
    I couldn't think of a way for them to get worked into the mechanics. Maybe if another one happens further down the line, I'll think of ways to add in more of the indies.

And I still can't finish Bloodlines.
    Stupid Kuei-Jin. Figures, doesn't it?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Nice. The Masquerade, I !sign up

doug_grammar on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited April 2007
    im !signing up

Unknown User on
  • Digger DudeDigger Dude Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I sign up
    This ounds awsome

Digger Dude on
  • GnastyGnasty Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I !sign up

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    !Sign up. Good man.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I !sign up

frandelgearslip on
  • CelebrimCelebrim Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I would like to sign up if there is still room.

Celebrim on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    !Sign up

Sorry I bandwagoned you in space phalla :P

Scosglen on
    edited April 2007
    I haven't established any real limit, but I can't imagine it going past fifty. I'll be stunned if it reaches forty.

And no prob, I would've done the same. :P Should've, probably.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Don't know diddly about the theme, but that only cements my desire to !sign up.

Frosteey on
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Sign me up. I really haven't done a Phalla before but it sounds pretty damn fun.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I haven't established any real limit, but I can't imagine it going past fifty. I'll be stunned if it reaches forty.

Apologies if I baited you into starting this game before you wanted to. :D

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
    edited April 2007
    Nerissa wrote: »
    I conditionally !sign up on the assumption this is going to be 40 players or less. If the total number goes over 45, though, I'm going to have to drop out. :(

You know you don't have to keep a spreadsheet, right?

DevoutlyApathetic on
    edited April 2007
    EvilBadman wrote: »

Apologies if I baited you into starting this game before you wanted to. :D

EBM: You're a master baiter.

Drez on
    edited April 2007
    I would've started even sooner if I'd been online when Voyage ended. I had no idea it was going to end that quick.

And unless I miss my guess, most of the posters are already blocking their online status.
    You guys don't waste time. ;-)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • ZerinanZerinan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Why are people blocking online status? Does that help them in anyway?

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
    edited April 2007
    Zerinan wrote: »
    Why are people blocking online status? Does that help them in anyway?

Heh.

I had mine blocked halfway through the last game actually to maintain a minor amount of suspicion. I didn't want to look 100% unsuspicious.

Drez on
This discussion has been closed.