As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Things that Joss Whedon sucks in the movies.

Captain CthulhuCaptain Cthulhu Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Social Entropy++
So this guy:

joss_whedon.jpg

Is directing The Avengers movie.

If you think this is a good thing, I'm going to need you to back it up with some evidence.

Captain Cthulhu on

• Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm fine with that.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I don't like the sounds of this at all

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Captain CthulhuCaptain Cthulhu Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I just can't shake the feeling that the Avengers movie is now going the way of the X-men Origins movie and it's just going to be another franchise thrown under the bus in an attempt to squeeze more blood from the superhero turnip.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I would posit that there could be worse things.

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • existexist Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I just can't shake the feeling that the Avengers movie is now going the way of the X-men Origins movie and it's just going to be another franchise thrown under the bus in an attempt to squeeze more blood from the superhero turnip.

why

x-men origins and this movie are by completely different people

and whedon has done some fine stuff (firefly, dr. horrible, serenity, astonishing x-men)

this is kind of a dumb thread

exist on
    UmPiq.png
  • satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

but x-men origins tried to inorganically cram mutants into the story, and this is about a superhero team that is supposed to be a superhero team

so pretty different

and also he's only directed one movie?

satansfingers on
  • Frank BrakFrank Brak Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    the one thing I have to say about Joss Whedon is that he looks like an overgrown toddler

I think his work reflects this

Frank Brak on
    "hold the phone. now give the phone to me."
  • thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    the only movies I know about Whedon is that Firefly movie I didn't see, and Toy Story

so why are we freaking out?

thanimations on
    edited April 2010
    Frank Brak wrote: »
    the one thing I have to say about Joss Whedon is that he looks like an overgrown toddler

That dosn't even make sense.

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Whedon's strength seems to be snappy dialogue and developing interpersonal relations in an ensemble cast environment.

So I fail to see any conflict with him directing a comic super-team movie.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • bongibongi regular
    edited April 2010
    i submit

alien_resurrection_ver3.jpg

bongi on
  • nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Fishman wrote: »
    Whedon's strength seems to be snappy dialogue and developing interpersonal relations in an ensemble cast environment.

So I fail to see any conflict with him directing a comic super-team movie.

100% this.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • BorommakotBorommakot Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I know his Astonishing X-Men run back in the day was fairly good, a good balance of explosions with character development with a team of characters.

Borommakot on
    edited April 2010
    bongi wrote: »
    i submit

Holy sweet son of a bitch he did that? He did that to all of us?

Fuck this Whedon guy.

Hobnail on

edited April 2010
    he's also never directed someone else's writing

i mean there's a good chance it'll be terrible, but i think that'll be more zak penn's doing

satansfingers on
  • bongibongi regular
    edited April 2010
    Hobnail wrote: »
    i submit

Holy sweet son of a bitch he did that? He did that to all of us?

Fuck this Whedon guy.

well, he wrote it

it was actually directed by this guy

amelie.jpg

which is really even more astonishing that is was so bad

bongi on
  • Frank BrakFrank Brak Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Frank Brak wrote: »

That dosn't even make sense.

I once heard him describe his creative process by saying the phrase, "it ends in a sword fight because there HAS TO BE a sword fight" as if he was 5 and playing with action figures

I don't think his work is bad or anything, just saying Whedon's an overgrown toddler

Frank Brak on
    "hold the phone. now give the phone to me."
  • BorommakotBorommakot Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think he wrote the intial draft and then they made serious changes to it.

Borommakot on
    edited April 2010
    exist wrote: »

why

and whedon has done some fine stuff (firefly, dr. horrible, serenity, astonishing x-men)

The only feature film he's ever directed was Serenity, which was okay, but only if you liked/had seen Firefly, it really didn't stand on its own and it flopped, financially speaking.

His directing has never been anything more than mediocre and he has no experience directing anything that he himself hasn't written. On top of all that, while his concepts are cool, and his over-arching stories are usually pretty enticing, his dialog writing is always trying way too hard to be "nerdy" or whatever and it honestly hard to listen to a lot of the time.

So why is it squeezing blood from a turnip? Why would you get Joss Whedon, someone with absolutely no credentials as a director, to direct something of this scope, when you have proven directors already on your team like Jon Favreau and Louis Leterrier? Hell for enough money, I bet Sam Raimi would have done it. But none of them have the same kind of geek cred that Whedon does, and they know that no matter how shitty the movie is, his multitudes of fanboys will be there, opening day, tossing out fliff like sultans. Sure I'm being cynical about this, but there is absolutely no evidence that he will do a good job with this, but yet, you have people saying that because he's on board "God exists." It's pretty retarded.

tl;dr: I'm nerd-ragin' over here.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Borommakot wrote: »
    I think he wrote the intial draft and then they made serious changes to it.
    This is the case with every movie script Whedon wrote except for Serenity's

Furu on
  • FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I was more upset when I found out Joss Whedon was doing an Avengers MOVIE, and not an Avengers COMIC.

Framling on
    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    There was no evidence Favreau was going to do a good job with Iron Man unless you made some kind of magical fucking leap from Elf to "Hey this guy could do a superhero movie"

Furu on
  • JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I saw Serenity without having ever heard of Firefly and I enjoyed it.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    drhorrible_main.jpg

Darric on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Framling wrote: »
    I was more upset when I found out Joss Whedon was doing an Avengers MOVIE, and not an Avengers COMIC.

yes. he's so much better at writing comics

him and kevin smith need to quit their lucrative jobs as shitty directors and just write comics

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    exist wrote: »

why

The only feature film he's ever directed was Serenity, which was okay, but only if you liked/had seen Firefly, it really didn't stand on its own and it flopped, financially speaking.

His directing has never been anything more than mediocre and he has no experience directing anything that he himself hasn't written. On top of all that, while his concepts are cool, and his over-arching stories are usually pretty enticing, his dialog writing is always trying way too hard to be "nerdy" or whatever and it honestly hard to listen to a lot of the time.

So why is it squeezing blood from a turnip? Why would you get Joss Whedon, someone with absolutely no credentials as a director, to direct something of this scope, when you have proven directors already on your team like Jon Favreau and Louis Leterrier? Hell for enough money, I bet Sam Raimi would have done it. But none of them have the same kind of geek cred that Whedon does, and they know that no matter how shitty the movie is, his multitudes of fanboys will be there, opening day, tossing out fliff like sultans. Sure I'm being cynical about this, but there is absolutely no evidence that he will do a good job with this, but yet, you have people saying that because he's on board "God exists." It's pretty retarded.

tl;dr: I'm nerd-ragin' over here.

I don't know, I'd never seen Firefly, and Serenity got me to buy the DVDs and watch the hell out of them.

Considering the #1 thing the industry needs that isn't happening is for movie interest to translate into source material interest, maybe he's exactly the man for the job.

Framling on
    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Also, they hardly need to have Joss Whedon direct it to have hoards of nerds flock to an Avengers movie.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • bongibongi regular
    edited April 2010
    Joss Whedon's writing has always struck me as very American

bongi on
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I know far too many girls that own every single buffy the vampire slayer box set.

Barcardi on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    He's not writing it anyway

Grey Ghost on
  • scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    joss whedon: literally the worst

scrivenerjones on
  • BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've been listening to Dr. Horrible far too much recently.

It's so good!

BugBoy on
  • TLHTLH Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

well, he wrote it

amelie.jpg

which is really even more astonishing that is was so bad

That surprises me more even, cause Micmacs looks pretty damn interesting.

As for Whedon. The worst part of this is imagining all this guys fans then claiming Avengers for themselves. Cause he has a weird group of followers that annoy me more then his overall shitbox run of films. Toy Story excluded.

TLH on
    edited April 2010
    people all over the internet are mad about this but they also all seem to think he's writing it

which he's not

satansfingers on
    edited April 2010
    Furu wrote: »
    There was no evidence Favreau was going to do a good job with Iron Man unless you made some kind of magical fucking leap from Elf to "Hey this guy could do a superhero movie"

This is a good point, but with something like Elf, it's always clear that a director is just trying to get his foot in the door by directing whatever a studio will give him. I still considered him a no name director when news of Ironman rolled around.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    TLH wrote: »

well, he wrote it

amelie.jpgwhich is really even more astonishing that is was so bad

That surprises me more even, cause Micmacs looks pretty damn interesting.

As for Whedon. The worst part of this is imagining all this guys fans then claiming Avengers for themselves. Cause he has a weird group of followers that annoy me more then his overall shitbox run of films. Toy Story excluded.

What the hell difference does it make who "claims" the Avengers?

Do you like it? Do you not like it? These are the only important things

Grey Ghost on
    edited April 2010
    there are worse directors for this

like Brett Ratner

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    this guy has a stupid name

Meissnerd on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The Avengers: A Michael Bay Film